Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why the Sunbelt needs to go to 16 Teams.
Bookmark and Share
Cajuns1252 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisiana
Why the Sunbelt needs to go to 16 Teams.
I think a 10 team conference is the perfect size. But in todays realignment climate I think a conference with 10 Universities leaves you opened to a collapse.

I believe if we go to 16 teams it will allow you to play everyone in the conference more frequently than at 14 teams and it will allow a true protected rivalry week. This is how I believe the conference should be set up and who the two teams we should add are.

Teams who should be added
1) UTSA - takes Texas state off their island.
2) ECU or Ohio.

4 pods with 4 close geographic teams that will create rivalries.

South West
UTSA
TXST
ULM
stAte

Gulf Coast
Louisiana
USM
USA
Troy

Atlantic
Georgia State
Georgia Southern
App state
Coastal

Colonial
JMU
ODU
Marshall
ECU/Ohio

2 pods are paired each and rotate each year. Each university will play every team in their pod and their paired pod group as well as 1 team from the other 2 pods. If your protected rivalry is not in your paired pod you will play that team automatically as the 1 team from the none paired pod group.

Protected Rivalries

UTSA-TXST
ULM-stAte
UL-USM
Troy-USA
App state - Georgia Southern
JMU-ODU
Georgia State - Coastal
Marshall-ECU/Ohio.
10-17-2023 08:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
RE: Why the Sunbelt needs to go to 16 Teams.
I like the 2 adds . . . not sure how I feel about the Pods, might have to grow on me.

Of course it’s easy on a board like this to say “Hey, we’ll just add (fill in the blank) and (fill in the blank)”. It’s a whole ‘nother matter to try and pry programs from conferences they may be quite happy to be in.
10-17-2023 09:38 PM
Cajuns1252 Offline
Special Teams

(10-17-2023 09:38 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  I like the 2 adds . . . not sure how I feel about the Pods, might have to grow on me.

Of course it’s easy on a board like this to say “Hey, we’ll just add (fill in the blank) and (fill in the blank)”. It’s a whole ‘nother matter to try and pry programs from conferences they may be quite happy to be in.

UTSA is the obvious add it could be restructured depending on who is added the biggest thing is we need to take y’all of the island y’all are on.
10-17-2023 09:46 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

(10-17-2023 09:46 PM)Cajuns1252 Wrote:  
(10-17-2023 09:38 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  I like the 2 adds . . . not sure how I feel about the Pods, might have to grow on me.

UTSA is the obvious add it could be restructured depending on who is added the biggest thing is we need to take y’all of the island y’all are on.

…. . Appreciate the good thoughts. 04-cheers
10-17-2023 09:57 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
Ohio is Rust Belt, not Sun Belt. They're MAC culture also, and not SBC culture. I don't think they'd match well.

UTSA and East Carolina ain't coming until ESPN alters their TV contract... which is only matter of time.

SBC just needs to be patient and wait.
10-17-2023 09:59 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

(10-17-2023 09:59 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  Ohio is Rust Belt, not Sun Belt. They're MAC culture also, and not SBC culture. I don't think they'd match well.

UTSA and East Carolina ain't coming until ESPN alters their TV contract... which is only matter of time.

SBC just needs to be patient and wait.

I tend to think that as well ….
10-17-2023 10:04 PM
Advertisement

MeepMeep Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTSA | Arizona
If you are going for 16 teams and an 8 game conference schedule, you should aim for the following:
  • 1 home game against the other 15 schools (15 games)
  • 1 road game aginst the other 15 schools (15 games)
That puts you at 30 total games over a four-year period. With 32 total conference games over 4 years, that leaves 2 games remaining. Obviously those would/should be going to the 1 rival school, which gives you a perfectly even scheduling format for 16 teams.

I think your intention's are good, but it does go against the goal of 1home/1away against the whole conference, which I think really matters. Maybe there is a way to make it work but it seems like more of a headache then it needs to be. Having no pods and just one permanent opponent would make more sense as far as scheduling.

Now, if you were going to 9 conference games (like the one college football fans had fun theory crafting for a year for the SEC before the SEC chickened out) then yea pods become a fun idea.
10-17-2023 10:10 PM
Cajuns1252 Offline
Special Teams

(10-17-2023 10:10 PM)MeepMeep Wrote:  If you are going for 16 teams and an 8 game conference schedule, you should aim for the following:
  • 1 home game against the other 15 schools (15 games)
  • 1 road game aginst the other 15 schools (15 games)
That puts you at 30 total games over a four-year period. With 32 total conference games over 4 years, that leaves 2 games remaining. Obviously those would/should be going to the 1 rival school, which gives you a perfectly even scheduling format for 16 teams.

I think your intention's are good, but it does go against the goal of 1home/1away against the whole conference, which I think really matters. Maybe there is a way to make it work but it seems like more of a headache then it needs to be. Having no pods and just one permanent opponent would make more sense as far as scheduling.

Now, if you were going to 9 conference games (like the one college football fans had fun theory crafting for a year for the SEC before the SEC chickened out) then yea pods become a fun idea.

Yes you would have to go to 9 game conference schedule and you could rotate the pods every 2 years. With your idea of keeping 1 opponent and rotating it would be a nightmare if there was a 3 way tie for first and you have to select 2 to go to the conference championship if the teams did not play head to head.
10-17-2023 10:33 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
I think we have the most stable conference in DI outside of the B1G, SEC, and Ivy League.

None of us have the academics, market, or TV value for the Big 12 or ACC. And almost no one if anyone is going to leave the league for another G5.

There is no purpose to adding someone just to get numbers up.
10-17-2023 10:42 PM
Cajuns1252 Offline
Special Teams

(10-17-2023 10:42 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  I think we have the most stable conference in DI outside of the B1G, SEC, and Ivy League.

None of us have the academics, market, or TV value for the Big 12 or ACC. And almost no one if anyone is going to leave the league for another G5.

There is no purpose to adding someone just to get numbers up.

The purpose is so we don’t have to wait 8 years to have a how and away with someone on the opposite side of the conference
10-17-2023 10:46 PM
MeepMeep Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTSA | Arizona
As far as UTSA going to the Sun Belt, I think it's a soft no. If the AAC just completely dies (SMU plus another 2-3 teams getting poached from the ACC) and ESPN steps in to redo the contract then yea all bets are off.

The one thing UTSA would want is Texas State. We already schedule each other in OOC, though. There was a small break there during the realignment era but it's started again this year and it going on until at least 2031. It's likely to continue from there anyway.

Assume UTSA is in the Sun Belt. Subtract Texas State (again, a team we already play) from the equation and then we're stuck on an island the same as them. North Texas is our other big rival which has heated up ALOT the last few years. (lurking the UNT forum is always entertaining, they talk about UTSA more then our own forum does because they can't stand being passed over in football). We'd be giving that up. Rice is our closest opponent. Gone. I like Louisiana but I'd rather be playing Tulane then them or ULM. I like FAU and UAB. We're playing FAU this weekend and both teams have a shot at the conference championship against Tulane. Yet, its been kumbaya with their fans this week. We're not like Marshall/USM who hated these schools and was glad to be rid of them. Troy fans are cool as hell which I wasn't aware of until this past bowl game. I acknowledge that there's positives and fun potential match ups (gimme some App State). But idk. We'd be giving up a lot.

If it happens I wouldn't be upset but I don't think it's a layup like the CUSA3 that moved over last year (unless the AAC went boom).

On the other hand, no more Memphis fans and ghostofclt! couldn't hurt me anymore.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2023 11:02 PM by MeepMeep.)
10-17-2023 11:02 PM
Advertisement

ODUODUODU Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
I like your POD concept. The core and partner PODS is a fresh idea that could enhance the regional rivalries.

Something to consider is the Georgia & Alabama schools are local to each other but they may not benefit to the proposed Pod Pairing? Not sure how to enhance those potential or historical rivalries.
10-18-2023 07:27 AM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(10-17-2023 11:02 PM)MeepMeep Wrote:  As far as UTSA going to the Sun Belt, I think it's a soft no. If the AAC just completely dies (SMU plus another 2-3 teams getting poached from the ACC) and ESPN steps in to redo the contract then yea all bets are off.

The one thing UTSA would want is Texas State. We already schedule each other in OOC, though. There was a small break there during the realignment era but it's started again this year and it going on until at least 2031. It's likely to continue from there anyway.

If it happens I wouldn't be upset but I don't think it's a layup like the CUSA3 that moved over last year (unless the AAC went boom).

Yeah, I agree. I like the idea of UTSA, just not the geography. Roadrunners need to be with other Texas programs.

(10-17-2023 11:02 PM)MeepMeep Wrote:  On the other hand, no more Memphis fans and ghostofclt! couldn't hurt me anymore.

That would be a blessing for anyone.

(10-17-2023 11:02 PM)MeepMeep Wrote:  Troy fans are cool as hell which I wasn't aware of until this past bowl game.

Same for you guys. Would love to play you guys more often.
10-18-2023 07:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Luckyshot Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
UTSA just paid $$$ to join the AAC. Things will have to get bad for them and ECU to pay even more $$$ to leave the AAC,
10-18-2023 08:23 AM
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
(10-17-2023 08:29 PM)Cajuns1252 Wrote:  I think a 10 team conference is the perfect size. But in todays realignment climate I think a conference with 10 Universities leaves you opened to a collapse.

I believe if we go to 16 teams it will allow you to play everyone in the conference more frequently than at 14 teams and it will allow a true protected rivalry week. This is how I believe the conference should be set up and who the two teams we should add are.

Teams who should be added
1) UTSA - takes Texas state off their island.
2) ECU or Ohio.

4 pods with 4 close geographic teams that will create rivalries.

South West
UTSA
TXST
ULM
stAte

Gulf Coast
Louisiana
USM
USA
Troy

Atlantic
Georgia State
Georgia Southern
App state
Coastal

Colonial
JMU
ODU
Marshall
ECU/Ohio

2 pods are paired each and rotate each year. Each university will play every team in their pod and their paired pod group as well as 1 team from the other 2 pods. If your protected rivalry is not in your paired pod you will play that team automatically as the 1 team from the none paired pod group.

Protected Rivalries

UTSA-TXST
ULM-stAte
UL-USM
Troy-USA
App state - Georgia Southern
JMU-ODU
Georgia State - Coastal
Marshall-ECU/Ohio.

[Image: help-me-im-smart.gif]
10-18-2023 09:31 AM
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
I don't think we need to go to 16. If we did then it is more likely we invite 2 current CUSA programs.
10-18-2023 09:53 AM
Advertisement

Big Buds Offline
All American

(10-17-2023 09:59 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  UTSA and East Carolina ain't coming until ESPN alters their TV contract... which is only matter of time.
I’m not sure how much this needs to be mentioned on here but apparently it needs to be repeated. Only legacy AAC team receive the full ESPN payout. UTSA receives a payout comparable to all SBC programs.
10-18-2023 10:07 AM
Luckyshot Offline
Heisman

(10-18-2023 10:07 AM)Big Buds Wrote:  
(10-17-2023 09:59 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  UTSA and East Carolina ain't coming until ESPN alters their TV contract... which is only matter of time.
I’m not sure how much this needs to be mentioned on here but apparently it needs to be repeated. Only legacy AAC team receive the full ESPN payout. UTSA receives a payout comparable to all SBC programs.

Yes, but they just paid to join the AAC and aren't going to pay to leave for similar money.
10-18-2023 10:09 AM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Why do we need to add a new expansion thread every three weeks.

We don't need to add anyone. And, frankly, I don't see a team anywhere close to our footprint that I think would make our league better. UTSA improves football. But their facilities are God-Awful in other sports. ECU helps baseball, that's it.
10-18-2023 10:21 AM
Luckyshot Offline
Heisman

(10-18-2023 10:21 AM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  Why do we need to add a new expansion thread every three weeks.

We don't need to add anyone. And, frankly, I don't see a team anywhere close to our footprint that I think would make our league better. UTSA improves football. But their facilities are God-Awful in other sports. ECU helps baseball, that's it.

Yep.
10-18-2023 10:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.