Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Let's Get Defensive about Defense
Bookmark and Share
dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
Let's Get Defensive about Defense
The Athletic (very much worth the subscription btw) had an article ranking team's Stop Rate.

What is stop rate? It’s a basic measurement of success: the percentage of a defense’s drives that end in punts, turnovers or a turnover on downs. This simple metric can offer a more accurate reflection of a defense’s effectiveness in today’s faster-tempo college football than yards per game or points per game.

Where does EMU rank? 22nd nationally - ahead of schools like TAMU, Oregon, UNC. in the MAC only Ohio is better. Anywhere this team goes this year will be on the backs of the defense.
10-17-2023 11:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
RE: Let's Get Defensive about Defense
(10-17-2023 11:59 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  The Athletic (very much worth the subscription btw) had an article ranking team's Stop Rate.

What is stop rate? It’s a basic measurement of success: the percentage of a defense’s drives that end in punts, turnovers or a turnover on downs. This simple metric can offer a more accurate reflection of a defense’s effectiveness in today’s faster-tempo college football than yards per game or points per game.

Where does EMU rank? 22nd nationally - ahead of schools like TAMU, Oregon, UNC. in the MAC only Ohio is better. Anywhere this team goes this year will be on the backs of the defense.

What's impressive about this is that is happening with Haney Merritt and Scott out for large stretches with injury.
10-17-2023 12:57 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
(10-17-2023 12:57 PM)emu79 Wrote:  
(10-17-2023 11:59 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  The Athletic (very much worth the subscription btw) had an article ranking team's Stop Rate.

What's impressive about this is that is happening with Haney Merritt and Scott out for large stretches with injury.

Now that Merrit is back it’s been a huge help!!!

Is Haney back? I could have sworn I saw him sidelined again or are my eyes playing a trick on me?

Where’s Swindle???

Thanks for sharing’79!
10-17-2023 12:59 PM
Advertisement

dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
(10-17-2023 12:59 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  

Is Haney back? I could have sworn I saw him sidelined again or are my eyes playing a trick on me?

Where’s Swindle???

Thanks for sharing’79!

As information this does not include stats from games against FCS teams.
10-17-2023 01:03 PM
Sellers dweller Offline
1st String

Where’s Swindle???

Thanks for sharing’79!

Swindle played last game, Haney did not. Haney did play against CMU and Ball State though.
10-17-2023 01:04 PM
Advertisement

steve4840 Offline
1st String

(10-17-2023 01:04 PM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  

Where’s Swindle???

Thanks for sharing’79!

Swindle played last game, Haney did not. Haney did play against CMU and Ball State though.

I am a slappy about the Linebackers we have, I know. I really hope we all appreciate how good these two are (Sparacio and Kline). Not trying to throw shade at players but is VERY apparent when their back-ups are in (I will give some credit to Jefferson who has played well, but outside of those 2-3 guys we are in big trouble if we dont get a portal guy or 2 in to fill in when they leave this year.

Also credit to our secondary who make it very hard to throw on. Whats crazy is that we dont have what I view as our best DB in Josh Scott. I assume he is injured and will return next season? Also, we hae Daiquan who is a true freshman getting starting reps. Our secondary will be strong for a few years. On the D-line side I do see Mikah Coleman having a break-out year next year and we also get back Carter Evans back next year. Merritt played awesome last week.
10-17-2023 03:47 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

Great observation Dan. 4840 nailed it as well. How many years did we see missed tackles turn stops into big gains? Sparacio arrives a ball carrier with bad intentions and all of a sudden, we now have three guys flying to the runner as well. Those fumbles they produce are not by accident.

The defense was on the field far too long in the first half of the KSU game and could have worn down due to our multiple three and outs. Instead, they won the game when they made that fourth down stop.
10-17-2023 05:11 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
10-17-2023 07:16 PM
steve4840 Offline
1st String

(10-17-2023 07:16 PM)emu steve Wrote:  https://x.com/thevannzee/status/17144346...80937?s=20

What a bummer. He was a missile back there and we will miss him. Sorry for the young man and I hope he finds continued purpose and strength.
10-17-2023 07:46 PM
Advertisement

holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
(10-17-2023 07:16 PM)emu steve Wrote:  https://x.com/thevannzee/status/17144346...80937?s=20

Sad. Huge fan of his. Godspeed my friend.
10-17-2023 08:58 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu

Another major loss.
10-17-2023 09:36 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan

Gee, you really think so?
10-18-2023 10:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.