Purdue reloads, shoots foot again
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Quote:BOARD OF TRUSTEES APPROVES BOBINSKI CONTRACT EXTENSION
10/6/2023 11:33:00 AM | General

BOBINSKI TO CONTINUE GUIDING BOILERMAKERS AS VICE PRESIDENT AND DIRECTOR OF INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS

WEST LAFAYETTE - The Purdue University Board of Trustees approved a contract extension on Friday (Oct. 6) for Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Mike Bobinski through June 30, 2028.

https://purduesports.com/news/2023/10/6/...-extension
10-06-2023 02:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
RE: Purdue reloads, shoots foot again
A very Purdue thing to do
10-06-2023 02:37 PM
Bear Catlett Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
He told the board that the pizza delivery guy needed the receipt signed and then slid his contract extension in instead.
10-06-2023 02:50 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Coming off a B1G West title and 1-seed in the NCAA Tournament. Bobinski has been nothing short of outstanding for Purdue -- and the BOT obviously agree.

Meanwhile, his former employer, Georgia Tech, has had one of the 5 most disastrous athletic departments in the 2 sports that matter over the last 5 years.
10-06-2023 08:02 PM
MattBrownEP Online
Special Teams

I Root For: newsletter subscriptions
What's wrong with Bobinski?
10-06-2023 08:09 PM
Advertisement

DawgNBama Online
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(10-06-2023 08:09 PM)MattBrownEP Wrote:  What's wrong with Bobinski?

Matt, my friend, you don't want to know. Trust me. 03-wink 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2023 08:36 PM by DawgNBama.)
10-06-2023 08:36 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M

The implication seems to be that Bobinski ran the GT Athletics Dept into the ground. I don't follow GT or Purdue at all. However, looking at the success he's had at Purdue, I'd have to say that it seems more likely that GT's higher up Administration should shoulder the majority of the blame for their recent struggles, or perhaps their boosters? Maybe both? I do know that GT's Athletic revenues are typically at or near the bottom of the ACC. They've been last or next to last every year for the past 5 years (trading off with NC St, who has also been last or next to last in the ACC in revenues every year for the past 5 years).

https://www.sportico.com/business/commer...234646029/

I just looked Bobinski up, he was AD at GT from 2013 to 2016, and he's been at Purdue ever since. Last year his Football team won the B1G West, and his basketball team got a #1 seed in the NCAAT. So, that's got me wondering what he could have done at GT over a 4 year period about a decade that was so terrible. I decided to do some digging, and this is what I found:

This from a column in the Atlanta Journal Constitution soon after he left GT, doesn't leave much in doubt:

Morale in the Edge Athletics Center reportedly is at an all-time low. Tech president Bud Peterson and whatever search committee he hires had better realize that because they screwed up the last time they hired an AD.

Tech’s athletic department has been like a rudderless ship, with a revolving door of employees, many leaving voluntarily. Multiple senior staff positions, like those in facilities and operations and the sports information department, have turned over more than once under Bobinski.

Good employees left or were fired. Poor replacements were hired and fired or, worse, held positions and made decisions like those involving the Ireland trip.

From one athletic department donor: “The culture has changed. It became more of a me-first place as opposed to the student-athletes coming first, or as opposed to, ‘We’re all in this together.’ If a guy like Bill Curry had been hired, when you think about his personality and his leadership style, that’s what’s missing right now. An inspirational leader.”

Of course, here's another exerpt from the article I found here:

https://saturdaytradition.com/purdue-foo...-bobinski/

Schultz wrote that Georgia Tech was happy to see Bobinski leave for Purdue. The Boilermakers, on the other hand, feel that they landed a guy plenty capable of filling Burke’s shoes.

Only time will tell if Bobinski, who won’t officially take over until Burke retires in June 2017, was the right hire. Purdue can only hope that Schultz’s column wasn’t a precursor for what lies ahead.

As an uninterested 3rd party, I have to say that the hit piece in the AJC looks like sour grapes in retrospect, considering that Bobinski had pretty good success at his other 3 stops. Clearly, GT has not improved their fortunes since he left, while Purdue is doing very well with him running the show.

As an aside, that "Bill Curry" reference in the AJC article is kind of humorous, considering that he went 31-43-4 at GT and 93-128-4 overall across a few decades of coaching. Maybe he's a great guy, maybe he's inspirational as all get out, but he wasn't a very successful coach.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2023 09:35 PM by bryanw1995.)
10-06-2023 09:12 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
He crapped the bed at GT. It happens. Besides, when has Georgia Tech last been relevant in football and hoops? Bobinski isn't the only one on the Atlanta campus failing the grade. Purdue's happy with him and he's being rewarded...
10-06-2023 09:33 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

(10-06-2023 09:33 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  He crapped the bed at GT. It happens. Besides, when has Georgia Tech last been relevant in football and hoops? Bobinski isn't the only one on the Atlanta campus failing the grade. Purdue's happy with him and he's being rewarded...

That's what I'm seeing. He was only at GT 3 years, and he seems to have done well at his other stops. Their problems cannot be dumped on him.
10-06-2023 09:38 PM
Advertisement

DawgNBama Online
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(10-06-2023 09:38 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  
(10-06-2023 09:33 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  He crapped the bed at GT. It happens. Besides, when has Georgia Tech last been relevant in football and hoops? Bobinski isn't the only one on the Atlanta campus failing the grade. Purdue's happy with him and he's being rewarded...

That's what I'm seeing. He was only at GT 3 years, and he seems to have done well at his other stops. Their problems cannot be dumped on him.

Part of the problem was President Bud Peterson, also, IMO. That's why he's gone, and Dr. Angel Cabrera is over the ship. Dr. Cabrera is very good!! Wonder where old GT Prez Bud Peterson wound up?? In addition, maybe Bobinski was just a bad fit at GT??? USM's old AD Gilbert was run off awhile back, after several poor performances, but then ECU scooped him up, and he's done jusr fine at Greenville, NC ever since.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2023 12:26 AM by DawgNBama.)
10-07-2023 12:22 AM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(10-06-2023 09:12 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  

The implication seems to be that Bobinski ran the GT Athletics Dept into the ground. I don't follow GT or Purdue at all. However, looking at the success he's had at Purdue, I'd have to say that it seems more likely that GT's higher up Administration should shoulder the majority of the blame for their recent struggles, or perhaps their boosters? Maybe both? I do know that GT's Athletic revenues are typically at or near the bottom of the ACC. They've been last or next to last every year for the past 5 years (trading off with NC St, who has also been last or next to last in the ACC in revenues every year for the past 5 years).

I just looked Bobinski up, he was AD at GT from 2013 to 2016, and he's been at Purdue ever since. Last year his Football team won the B1G West, and his basketball team got a #1 seed in the NCAAT. So, that's got me wondering what he could have done at GT over a 4 year period about a decade that was so terrible. I decided to do some digging, and this is what I found:

This from a column in the Atlanta Journal Constitution soon after he left GT, doesn't leave much in doubt:

Morale in the Edge Athletics Center reportedly is at an all-time low. Tech president Bud Peterson and whatever search committee he hires had better realize that because they screwed up the last time they hired an AD.

Tech’s athletic department has been like a rudderless ship, with a revolving door of employees, many leaving voluntarily. Multiple senior staff positions, like those in facilities and operations and the sports information department, have turned over more than once under Bobinski.

Good employees left or were fired. Poor replacements were hired and fired or, worse, held positions and made decisions like those involving the Ireland trip.

From one athletic department donor: “The culture has changed. It became more of a me-first place as opposed to the student-athletes coming first, or as opposed to, ‘We’re all in this together.’ If a guy like Bill Curry had been hired, when you think about his personality and his leadership style, that’s what’s missing right now. An inspirational leader.”

Schultz wrote that Georgia Tech was happy to see Bobinski leave for Purdue. The Boilermakers, on the other hand, feel that they landed a guy plenty capable of filling Burke’s shoes.

Only time will tell if Bobinski, who won’t officially take over until Burke retires in June 2017, was the right hire. Purdue can only hope that Schultz’s column wasn’t a precursor for what lies ahead.

As an uninterested 3rd party, I have to say that the hit piece in the AJC looks like sour grapes in retrospect, considering that Bobinski had pretty good success at his other 3 stops. Clearly, GT has not improved their fortunes since he left, while Purdue is doing very well with him running the show.

As an aside, that "Bill Curry" reference in the AJC article is kind of humorous, considering that he went 31-43-4 at GT and 93-128-4 overall across a few decades of coaching. Maybe he's a great guy, maybe he's inspirational as all get out, but he wasn't a very successful coach.

I missed the 10,000th post! That was like 100 in 2 days.
10-07-2023 12:29 AM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
(10-07-2023 12:29 AM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  

With ten thousand posts you could sure fence in a lot of Bryan/College Station ranch land!
10-07-2023 02:19 AM
pki1998 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Xavier, ND, Cin
He was a great AD during his time at Xavier
10-07-2023 06:36 AM
Advertisement

(10-06-2023 08:02 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Coming off a B1G West title and 1-seed in the NCAA Tournament. Bobinski has been nothing short of outstanding for Purdue -- and the BOT obviously agree.

Meanwhile, his former employer, Georgia Tech, has had one of the 5 most disastrous athletic departments in the 2 sports that matter over the last 5 years.
None of that at Purdue is Bobinski's work. He didn't hire Brohm or Painter. Brohm is now gone though, so we're getting a good eye full this season of a Bobinski football program for the first time in awhile. The B1G West is trash in football and anybody can win it, kind of like the ACC Coastal.

All Bobinski's work at GT. Including both the revenue coaches that were fired last year.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/georg...6l6fyJ5XK/

https://www.ajc.com/blog/jeff-schultz/mi...pIOzUn1pL/

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using CSNbbs mobile app
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2023 08:43 AM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
10-07-2023 08:17 AM

(10-07-2023 12:22 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  

Part of the problem was President Bud Peterson, also, IMO. That's why he's gone, and Dr. Angel Cabrera is over the ship. Dr. Cabrera is very good!! Wonder where old GT Prez Bud Peterson wound up?? In addition, maybe Bobinski was just a bad fit at GT??? USM's old AD Gilbert was run off awhile back, after several poor performances, but then ECU scooped him up, and he's done jusr fine at Greenville, NC ever since.
Bud Peterson was a disaster. He's a professor at GT now. He won't sniff administration ever again, his extra hands off style led to all the fraud and corruption and arrests. But Bud could at least delegate to someone semi-competent from time to time. Bobinski is a rocket ship straight to hell. Every time something that was in place at Purdue falls apart and he has to touch it it's going to go straight to s***. Starting with his football hire and the football team.

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2023 08:22 AM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
10-07-2023 08:22 AM

(10-07-2023 06:36 AM)pki1998 Wrote:  He was a great AD during his time at Xavier
That's his talent ceiling athletic director somewhere without a football program. He'd be perfect for Denver University.

10-07-2023 08:23 AM

Check the AJC links above.

He tried to play hardball with Paul Johnson over a contract extension. He expected PJ to lose to UGAg then fire him the next day. Paul Johnson beat UGAg in Athens and then proceeded to hand Mike Bobinski his ass in the next contract extension. Bobinski was salty about this, so he tried to starve the football program to get PJ fired. This was how GT ended up with a FB recruiting budget smaller than Duke's. It's now the third largest in the ACC at over $1m/yr.

Every single hire he made other than the volleyball coach from Brazil was an unmitigated disaster. After last year's revenue hire clean up, none of them are left other than the volleyball coach. There was no universe where Josh Pastner was a great or even acceptable hire other than as Youth Pastor.

He hardly communicated at all with boosters and fans. We went from Dan Radakovich giving email updates to the entire fan base every week during football season to hearing from Bobinski once a year when he was required to speak to boosters at the GTAA scholarship dinner. He earned the nickname Bobinsquatch ... lots of people talk about him, lots of photographs exist of him, yet nobody ever sees him. You can imagine the disarray and conflicting agendas this leads to within the boosters.

Mike Bobinski is best served at a forgettable midwestern school with no football program especially. He's terrible across the board but an absolute boat anchor on any big time football program.

Now that Jeff Brohm is gone and Bobinski had to hire someone watch Purdue football sink back into the slime that is B1G West potluck. Whenever Matt Painter retires or decides to collect a larger check elsewhere we'll see how Purdue fans feel without something already built and shiny and nice that Bobinski just has to keep his hands off while collecting all the credit.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2023 08:44 AM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
10-07-2023 08:34 AM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

(10-07-2023 02:19 AM)owl at the moon Wrote:  
(10-07-2023 12:29 AM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  

With ten thousand posts you could sure fence in a lot of Bryan/College Station ranch land!

Naw, we wouldn't wanna do that. Well, unless we kept the mineral rights I suppose.
10-07-2023 12:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.