Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pre-Game NC State Presser
Bookmark and Share
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
Exclamation Pre-Game NC State Presser

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2023 06:53 AM by GreenBison.)
10-05-2023 06:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Johns1124 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Marshall
RE: Pre-Game NC State Presser
Not a bad loss at all. They lost to L'ville 13-10, The Cards just beat ND by double digits. I think NC State is better than people are giving them credit for.
If we roll through the SB east to the Championship. We may still get a great bowl.
10-08-2023 07:06 AM
forphase1 Online
1st String

(10-08-2023 07:06 AM)Johns1124 Wrote:  Not a bad loss at all. They lost to L'ville 13-10, The Cards just beat ND by double digits. I think NC State is better than people are giving them credit for.
If we roll through the SB east to the Championship. We may still get a great bowl.

I disagree. Terrible loss for many reasons. Sure, it doesn't look bad at the end, but real possible national talk of Marshall is gone. Sure, we can still win the SB and all the jazz and maybe end up lowly ranked, but any real possibility of Marshall being a topic when folks talk about G5 teams challenging for playoffs or whatever is about gone. But even beyond that based on the way we played I highly doubt we don't pick up a few more losses. The defenses isn't very good, our QB turns over the ball too much, and a times he can't hit water if he fell out of a boat.
10-09-2023 12:07 AM
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

(10-09-2023 12:07 AM)forphase1 Wrote:  
(10-08-2023 07:06 AM)Johns1124 Wrote:  Not a bad loss at all. They lost to L'ville 13-10, The Cards just beat ND by double digits. I think NC State is better than people are giving them credit for.

I disagree. Terrible loss for many reasons. Sure, it doesn't look bad at the end, but real possible national talk of Marshall is gone. Sure, we can still win the SB and all the jazz and maybe end up lowly ranked, but any real possibility of Marshall being a topic when folks talk about G5 teams challenging for playoffs or whatever is about gone. But even beyond that based on the way we played I highly doubt we don't pick up a few more losses. The defenses isn't very good, our QB turns over the ball too much, and a times he can't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

I think you're both right. It's tough to beat two ACC schools in the same year, especially when it's not a level playing field. And I mean that in regards to funding and recruiting. I honestly think we could have easily won, but that would have involved zero mistakes and we made a lot of mistakes and were still in the game. We should have won on the road at an ACC school. But we didn't and that sucks, but I think this team found out a lot about themselves and what they need to do to win the rest.
10-09-2023 06:44 AM
forphase1 Online
1st String

Do you honestly think we will win the rest? Seems like we have way too many holes on the team and on the sidelines for that to realistically happen. I expect at least 2 more losses.
10-09-2023 07:58 AM
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

(10-09-2023 07:58 AM)forphase1 Wrote:  Do you honestly think we will win the rest? Seems like we have way too many holes on the team and on the sidelines for that to realistically happen. I expect at least 2 more losses.

I think we CAN win the rest. We have receivers dropping balls that hit them right in the hands, our OL can't open up holes for Ali. Our D for some reason keeps giving up the long run straight up the middle. So I'm not sure what to think honestly.
10-09-2023 10:11 AM
Advertisement

forphase1 Online
1st String

(10-09-2023 10:11 AM)GreenBison Wrote:  
(10-09-2023 07:58 AM)forphase1 Wrote:  Do you honestly think we will win the rest? Seems like we have way too many holes on the team and on the sidelines for that to realistically happen. I expect at least 2 more losses.

I think we CAN win the rest. We have receivers dropping balls that hit them right in the hands, our OL can't open up holes for Ali. Our D for some reason keeps giving up the long run straight up the middle. So I'm not sure what to think honestly.

Well sure we CAN. We could have won Saturday, but didn't. And those reasons you listed, among others, are why I think we CAN win them all, but won't.
10-09-2023 10:17 AM
HD76 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The Herd
I don't like the defensive trend when it comes to loose coverage and run stop. Looking at each game where we allow 20+yard plays, they keep getting worse as the offenses we face get better.

Albany...FCS...2 plays for 74 yards
ECU...#122...3 plays for 116 yards
VT...#101...4 plays for 94 yards
ODU...#94...6 plays 344 yards
NCST...#92...6 plays 244 yards

If you look at our remaining schedule and their offensive rank, ODU is the worst Sun Belt offense we will play this year and they burnt us for 344 yards.

GaST.....Ranked #57
JMU..... #61
CCU.....#29
APP.....#26
GSO.....#17
USA.....#51
ARKS.....#93

Considering that our offensive rank is #55 and other than ECU we have been in 1 score games with the worst offensives in the FBS, odds are we have possibly one more game where we could be favored based solely on home field advantage (Ark St).

I know these are raw numbers and there are many factors not considered but this is a TREND look at our performance thus far.

We have to make some huge strides in our defensive schemes to reduce the big play and our offense has to reduce turnovers on our side of the field to have a legitimate shot at winning more games than we lose from here on out. JMO.
10-11-2023 10:04 AM
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

(10-11-2023 10:04 AM)HD76 Wrote:  I don't like the defensive trend when it comes to loose coverage and run stop. Looking at each game where we allow 20+yard plays, they keep getting worse as the offenses we face get better.

If you look at our remaining schedule and their offensive rank, ODU is the worst Sun Belt offense we will play this year and they burnt us for 344 yards.

GaST.....Ranked #57
JMU..... #61
CCU.....#29
APP.....#26
GSO.....#17
USA.....#51
ARKS.....#93

Considering that our offensive rank is #55 and other than ECU we have been in 1 score games with the worst offensives in the FBS, odds are we have possibly one more game where we could be favored based solely on home field advantage (Ark St).

I know these are raw numbers and there are many factors not considered but this is a TREND look at our performance thus far.

We have to make some huge strides in our defensive schemes to reduce the big play and our offense has to reduce turnovers on our side of the field to have a legitimate shot at winning more games than we lose from here on out. JMO.

Great research.. I agree, we're giving up long runs right up the middle. Surely that is being addressed. GASTATE has me worried and I think this game will show us if we are improving on D, especially in the second half.
10-11-2023 10:37 AM
HD76 Offline
Bench Warmer

(10-11-2023 10:37 AM)GreenBison Wrote:  
(10-11-2023 10:04 AM)HD76 Wrote:  I don't like the defensive trend when it comes to loose coverage and run stop. Looking at each game where we allow 20+yard plays, they keep getting worse as the offenses we face get better.

GaST.....Ranked #57
JMU..... #61
CCU.....#29
APP.....#26
GSO.....#17
USA.....#51
ARKS.....#93

Great research.. I agree, we're giving up long runs right up the middle. Surely that is being addressed. GASTATE has me worried and I think this game will show us if we are improving on D, especially in the second half.

Absolutely.
10-11-2023 03:39 PM
forphase1 Online
1st String

*sigh* I so wish I would have been wrong.
10-14-2023 10:02 PM
Advertisement

GreenBison Offline
Heisman

(10-14-2023 10:02 PM)forphase1 Wrote:  

Gut wrenching 03-nutkick
10-14-2023 11:41 PM
HD76 Offline
Bench Warmer

(10-14-2023 11:41 PM)GreenBison Wrote:  

Gut wrenching 03-nutkick

Yeah. Looks like nothing much changed. The kids are nonchalant, and the coaching staff appears in over their head. We need a new DC, ST coach, and QB coach to start. How about some linemen in the next portal? Lot of holes fellas.
10-15-2023 06:11 AM
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

(10-15-2023 06:11 AM)HD76 Wrote:  
(10-14-2023 11:41 PM)GreenBison Wrote:  

Gut wrenching 03-nutkick

Yeah. Looks like nothing much changed. The kids are nonchalant, and the coaching staff appears in over their head. We need a new DC, ST coach, and QB coach to start. How about some linemen in the next portal? Lot of holes fellas.

It's a mess. We need a new OLine Coach too.
10-16-2023 03:26 PM
Johns1124 Offline
Special Teams

Think we learned a lot this week. If we win, we could very well be back in the driver's seat in the east.
In which case last week was a bad game (loss). If we lose there will be more questions than answeres about this team and Huff.
10-16-2023 03:54 PM
forphase1 Online
1st String

And again. Same old crap. While I'm very glad we moved on from Doc it looks like we hired someone just about as bad. Sad.
10-19-2023 10:35 PM
Advertisement

GreenBison Offline
Heisman

(10-19-2023 10:35 PM)forphase1 Wrote:  

And again. Same old crap. While I'm very glad we moved on from Doc it looks like we hired someone just about as bad. Sad.

I have been going to Marshall games since the early 70's and this was the worst offensive output that I have ever seen from a Marshall team. Heck we aren't even a team, we're a bunch of individuals... sorry, make that slow individuals that lack passion and pride. Our coaches are in over their heads, we have no leaders on the team. We have no depth at any position and this is Huff's THIRD YEAR! How can you not have any depth in your third year? They said Huff was a top recruiter... well guess what? A damn clown can recruit at Alabama!
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2023 10:50 PM by GreenBison.)
10-19-2023 10:48 PM
HD76 Offline
Bench Warmer

(10-19-2023 10:48 PM)GreenBison Wrote:  

I have been going to Marshall games since the early 70's and this was the worst offensive output that I have ever seen from a Marshall team. Heck we aren't even a team, we're a bunch of individuals... sorry, make that slow individuals that lack passion and pride. Our coaches are in over their heads, we have no leaders on the team. We have no depth at any position and this is Huff's THIRD YEAR! How can you not have any depth in your third year? They said Huff was a top recruiter... well guess what? A damn clown can recruit at Alabama!

So... we only have 1 QB and 2 RBs? We had more depth when we were FCS. I guess if Ethan went down we would just run a 5-wide?

The OL should be gelled by the 7th game and granted they played a P5 front last night but they looked like it was their first game together. I counted and they are only allowing 2 seconds protection. Less when blitzing players were allowed untouched access to the backfield. Very little subbing last night and an awful performance by the OL.

On that note, it takes Cam more than 2 sec. to read the field and 3 to 3-1/2 seconds to react. For him to look comfortable in the pocket, he needs 5-6 seconds. His passes look like an afterthought and are thrown with no confidence. His blind side awareness is nonexistent and he didn't read one blitz last night. Great athlete but not sure he has the mental alertness to be QB.

I've never seen a coaching staff that uses so few players. I don't know why 50 of our players even dress. And like mentioned above, the similarities to Doc are stifling.

Whether this product is due to coaching or recruiting deficiencies, I don't know if I want to see the result 3-4 years from now if things don't change. I don't know about you guys but last year we went 9-4 and it felt like a 4-9 performance to me.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2023 07:42 AM by HD76.)
10-20-2023 07:40 AM
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

(10-20-2023 07:40 AM)HD76 Wrote:  
(10-19-2023 10:48 PM)GreenBison Wrote:  

So... we only have 1 QB and 2 RBs? We had more depth when we were FCS. I guess if Ethan went down we would just run a 5-wide?

The OL should be gelled by the 7th game and granted they played a P5 front last night but they looked like it was their first game together. I counted and they are only allowing 2 seconds protection. Less when blitzing players were allowed untouched access to the backfield. Very little subbing last night and an awful performance by the OL.

On that note, it takes Cam more than 2 sec. to read the field and 3 to 3-1/2 seconds to react. For him to look comfortable in the pocket, he needs 5-6 seconds. His passes look like an afterthought and are thrown with no confidence. His blind side awareness is nonexistent and he didn't read one blitz last night. Great athlete but not sure he has the mental alertness to be QB.

I've never seen a coaching staff that uses so few players. I don't know why 50 of our players even dress. And like mentioned above, the similarities to Doc are stifling.

Whether this product is due to coaching or recruiting deficiencies, I don't know if I want to see the result 3-4 years from now if things don't change. I don't know about you guys but last year we went 9-4 and it felt like a 4-9 performance to me.

I agree with everything you're saying. I read on Twitter where a Marshall fans said...

"How do we not have a backup QB that's better than a hurt #1 QB?"

So how is this even possible? Also, there were times when our OL would just stand up straight and let the DL run right by them. I'd see the Offense come off the field and go sit in their bench and no coaches would come over to talk to them. Hell I got more coaching in HS! How do we have 5 guys trying to tackle one runner and they can't bring him down? It's all just mind-boggling. It's Mark Snyder coaching with worse recruiting.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2023 09:20 AM by GreenBison.)
10-20-2023 09:16 AM
Johns1124 Offline
Special Teams

IMO

I believe Huff overplayed himself. Think about it he came here with a bunch of accolades including recruiter of the year (I get it it's Alabama, so tad bit easier). He was being suited by Duke before he even coached his first game at MU. Since then his name has been brought up by MSU, Vandy maybe others I forgot. I feel (might be wrong) Huff didn't expect to be here long. He had one foot out the door from Day 1. Not sure how much he put into recruiting, other than one-year quick hitters to help him out the door. Now, we are 2.5 years into a four-year contract and he is still here. Time is running out. The last thing he wants is to not be renewed after next year or worse fired. Not good for future promotions. He better figure it out quickly. If he really wants to be here and coach or just to placehold until something better comes along. The placeholding is not working out so well for either the University or Huff.

A couple of Pressers this year lead me to believe that he has realized he might be here for the long haul. It's unfortunate it has taken 3/4 of his contract to figure it out.
10-20-2023 09:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.