Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UNC's loyalty to the ACC?
PeteTheChop Offline
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
UNC's loyalty to the ACC?
Media insiders like Pete Thamel, Ross Dellinger and Brett McMurphy have indicated Florida State and Clemson are actively working to exit the ACC within the next 2-3 years.

What are the chances the conference's flagship institution and the alma mater of Raycom VP Chad Swofford is planning to make the same move?

Was North Carolina's thumbs down on the three-school expansion a sign the Tar Heels are no longer all-in on the ACC?
10-04-2023 01:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PlayBall! Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kansas & Big XII
RE: UNC's loyalty to the ACC?
Fairly obviously, yes.

The B1G and SEC's answer to UNC's "Show me the money!" was likely very impressive.

The bidding war will be interesting to watch.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2023 02:05 PM by PlayBall!.)
10-04-2023 02:04 PM
BeepBeepJeep Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Vanderbilt
I doubt the money will be why UNC picks SEC or B1G. It'll be close enough to not matter.
10-04-2023 02:10 PM
PeteTheChop Offline

(10-04-2023 02:04 PM)PlayBall! Wrote:  Fairly obviously, yes.

The B1G and SEC's answer to UNC's "Show me the money!" was likely very impressive.

How would that work?

Are you suggesting the SEC and the B1G would offer UNC above and beyond a full media rights share in order to close the deal?
10-04-2023 02:25 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M

UNC is clearly inferior as a Brand to FSU and Clemson, in addition to being clearly inferior to OU, USC and Oregon. Maybe you could compare them to Washington and UCLA, I guess. And Texas is worth 2-3 UNC's. We've seen over the past couple of years what kind of "bids" schools get; they range from "you get to join with a full share, or you can stay in your old conference with the little brother you want to bring along" to "hey UW/UO, we don't really need you guys, but we'll give you half shares, grudgingly".

The only reason UNC is so prominent is that they're the only Big Brand in North Carolina or Virginia.

Bidding war? 03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

More like: "you can join when/if you sort out your ACC issues, and you may or may not get offered full shares from day 1"
10-04-2023 02:28 PM
PeteTheChop Offline

(10-04-2023 02:10 PM)BeepBeepJeep Wrote:  I doubt the money will be why UNC picks SEC or B1G. It'll be close enough to not matter.

High-dollar boosters — the ones writing checks to cover facility enhancements and bad coaching hires among other things — will certainly have a say.

As they should
10-04-2023 02:28 PM
Advertisement

bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(10-04-2023 02:28 PM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  
(10-04-2023 02:10 PM)BeepBeepJeep Wrote:  I doubt the money will be why UNC picks SEC or B1G. It'll be close enough to not matter.

High-dollar boosters — the ones writing checks to cover facility enhancements and bad coaching hires among other things — will certainly have a say.

As they should

They'll have a say, and I've heard anecdotally that they're more in favor of the SEC, but there's enough choppiness in the waters I could still see them joining either of the P2 or even remaining in the ACC (unlikely but not impossible). It's not like ND where 99% of their donors and dollars want to remain independent.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2023 02:32 PM by bryanw1995.)
10-04-2023 02:31 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(10-04-2023 02:25 PM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  

How would that work?

Are you suggesting the SEC and the B1G would offer UNC above and beyond a full media rights share in order to close the deal?

North Carolina doesn't call its shot anymore than does FSU and Clemson. ESPN holds those rights until 2036 and has a large say in any negotiation of the cost to leave. FOX has no say. The Big 10 has no say. The SEC has no say, but does have the largess of a whole relationship with ESPN.

What this comes down to is whether ESPN wants to give its competitor 3 large brands or even 1 large brand. Call me old fashioned but the answer that question is, "No, not now, not ever presumptuous little shite!" That's not how any of this works. ESPN will look after ESPN and FSU and UNC are too important to their grip on the Southeast to let that happen, as in ever. This is why all of the GOR droning and speculation from Northern pundits is about 2034 and 2036. Yes they have a chance then. Until then ESPN controls the shots and if they want to protect key properties they are the only ones who can work this out for it to happen. "Three teams enter, three teams leave." Unlike Tina Turner's Thunderdome. Where's the 4th? Could be outside of the ACC. We'll see.

But there is no damn bidding by the SEC and Big 10 until 2034. There is compromise between concessions made to the remaining ACC and concessions made by the SEC to make this happen if that is what ESPN and the schools desire.

And since the pivotal date is 2025 for the expanded CFP's new contract upcoming at that time, now is the time to do it.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2023 02:46 PM by JRsec.)
10-04-2023 02:36 PM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
(10-04-2023 01:57 PM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  Media insiders like Pete Thamel, Ross Dellinger and Brett McMurphy have indicated Florida State and Clemson are actively working to exit the ACC within the next 2-3 years.

What are the chances the conference's flagship institution and the alma mater of Raycom VP Chad Swofford is planning to make the same move?

Was North Carolina's thumbs down on the three-school expansion a sign the Tar Heels are no longer all-in on the ACC?

Our good friend esayem will surely weigh in on this one.

As a Tar Heel fan of more than 25 years, I like UNC being affiliated with Duke and N.C. State, in particular.
10-04-2023 03:07 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
I don't envision a scenario where the SEC doesn't grow to 20 with Clemson, Florida St, and North Carolina plus one lucky dog. That final school could come down one out of a number of schools: Duke, Georgia Tech, Kansas, Louisville, Miami, North Carolina St, Notre Dame, Virginia, Virginia Tech.

Or just take all of them and be a 28-school conference. 9 conference games: 3 every year, 4 every other year, 2 every 8 years.
10-04-2023 03:14 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(10-04-2023 03:07 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  
(10-04-2023 01:57 PM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  Media insiders like Pete Thamel, Ross Dellinger and Brett McMurphy have indicated Florida State and Clemson are actively working to exit the ACC within the next 2-3 years.

As a Tar Heel fan of more than 25 years, I like UNC being affiliated with Duke and N.C. State, in particular.
Dang! Dazzle I didn't know you were into wine and cheese. Champagne cocktails as in French 75s is where I had you pegged. UNC like all schools will have to consider its positioning. This isn't just about sports, or academics. It's about exposure, money to be sure, and elite grouping when the budget cuts come, and they are coming.

I had an interesting canape' the other night. Deviled eggs with caviar. They were delicious, though redundant. I had never thought of stuffing one egg with other eggs. The potatoes au gratin done with crab was quite excellent as well.

Just a culinary tease to say, North Carolina is great, but not gourmet. If you want 5 star dining you are out of luck, the Ivy League isn't on the menu, and wine and cheese come in grades.
10-04-2023 03:18 PM
Advertisement

bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
(10-04-2023 03:18 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Dang! Dazzle I didn't know you were into wine and cheese. Champagne cocktails as in French 75s is where I had you pegged. UNC like all schools will have to consider its positioning. This isn't just about sports, or academics. It's about exposure, money to be sure, and elite grouping when the budget cuts come, and they are coming.

I had an interesting canape' the other night. Deviled eggs with caviar. They were delicious, though redundant. I had never thought of stuffing one egg with other eggs. The potatoes au gratin done with crab was quite excellent as well.

Just a culinary tease to say, North Carolina is great, but not gourmet. If you want 5 star dining you are out of luck, the Ivy League isn't on the menu, and wine and cheese come in grades.

To be clear, JRsec, my family members would be excited to have both Vanderbilt and North Carolina as SEC members.

As to your culinary updates, I shall feast tonight on what some in Nashville call the "Uncle Dazzy Mexican Special," which can be made quickly and is always tasty. No wine and cheese for the evening.

04-cheers
10-04-2023 04:43 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
IMO the UNC vote against expansion via SMU, Cal and Stanford is a tip that they think the entire ACC project is doomed, and they want out.
10-04-2023 04:47 PM
PeteTheChop Offline

(10-04-2023 04:43 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  As to your culinary updates, I shall feast tonight on what some in Nashville call the "Uncle Dazzy Mexican Special," which can be made quickly and is always tasty.

Tater tots with hot sauce? 03-wink
10-04-2023 04:48 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(10-04-2023 04:47 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  IMO the UNC vote against expansion via SMU, Cal and Stanford is a tip that they think the entire ACC project is doomed, and they want out.

I guess they’ve known it was doomed since 1990?
10-04-2023 04:58 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad

Thanks, B-Dazzle

I think I might lay off the realignment sauce for the rest of the football season. It’s becoming a bore.
10-04-2023 05:01 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(10-04-2023 04:47 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  IMO the UNC vote against expansion via SMU, Cal and Stanford is a tip that they think the entire ACC project is doomed, and they want out.

Quo, once again, the giants are positioned to see what's coming, assess their situation to survive it, then assess how many they can rescue with themselves, and always take action before the panic. The panic destabilizes all leverage, and the giants already know this. I knew we were headed for the final round up when Texas, Oklahoma and then USC and UCLA jumped without warning and then you see two proud programs in Washington and Oregon practically begging for a spot in the boat.

The ACC will be no different. FSU, UNC, Clemson and number 4 which is unnamed will make the move before any of the others and do it while they have some leverage and while ESPN is there to help facilitate it. Personally, I believe the 4th is likely Duke. Those 4 are the most iconic brands in the ACC. And if Carolina knows its Duke, they keep it silent because their board of governors for the state schools might allow UNC to move. But they would be hoping that UNC would take N.C. State with them. Duke being private doesn't have to say a word until it happens, except to give notice. So, by not being named it avoids the drama of N.C. State.

But my point is yes, you are correct, they know what they are facing and what they must do about it. They are just looking for the most graceful way out and likely lobbying for 4 more. People say you can't dissolve a conference because there are too many losers. Move 8 to the SEC, set Notre Dame free, and place 5 in the Big 12 with playoff access and tourney access and at revenue rates near what they get now, and then let them split the parting gifts of the 8 and it likely gets done. That's making the best of a bad situation.

The issue here is that the old core wants to stay together. The Mag 7 and Duke get her done. B.C., Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, and Georgia Tech joining WVU, Cincy, and then possibly Yormark gets serious about UConn, and they all have their own Big East division of the Big 12. If Wake joins that party great, if not that is just 1 vote.

What's more none of them are chomping at the bit to join the Big 10 and the Big 10 can't take all 7, or 8.

I think ESPN has this right where they want it for management's sake and I don't think Clemson is woofing, I think an administrator there leaked the news to get them all ready to hear the real news when it pops.

The networks seem to have a schedule to keep, and that schedule says they want the lineups completed by 2025.

Some may call it a platitude, but it will work because they are trying to avoid a postlude.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2023 05:08 PM by JRsec.)
10-04-2023 05:01 PM
Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa

UNC never votes for expansion. If the ACC followed UNC expansion preferences the conference would consist of UNC, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, Clemson and UVa. My Cavaliers would be fortunate that we joined immediately after the formation.
10-04-2023 05:08 PM
PeteTheChop Offline

(10-04-2023 05:01 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Quo, once again, the giants are positioned to see what's coming, assess their situation to survive it, then assess how many they can rescue with themselves, and always take action before the panic. The panic destabilizes all leverage, and the giants already know this. I knew we were headed for the final round up when Texas, Oklahoma and then USC and UCLA jumped without warning and then you see two proud programs in Washington and Oregon practically begging for a spot in the boat.

The ACC will be no different. FSU, UNC, Clemson and number 4 which is unnamed will make the move before any of the others and do it while they have some leverage and while ESPN is there to help facilitate it. Personally, I believe the 4th is likely Duke. Those 4 are the most iconic brands in the ACC. And if Carolina knows its Duke, they keep it silent because their board of governors for the state schools might allow UNC to move. But they would be hoping that UNC would take N.C. state with them. Duke being private doesn't have to say a word until it happens, except to give notice. So, by not being named it avoid the drama of N.C. State.

But my point is yes, you are correct, they know what they are facing and what they must do about it. They are just looking for the most graceful way out and likely lobbying for 4 more. People say you can dissolve a conference because there are too many loosers. Move 8 to the SEC, set Notre Dame free, and place 5 in the Big 12 with playoff access and tourney access and at revenue rates near what they get now, and then let them split the parting gifts of the 8 and it likely gets done. That's making the best of a bad situation.

The issue here is that the old core wants to stay together. The Mag 7 and Duke get her done. B.C., Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, joining WVU, Cincy, and then possibly Yormark gets serious about UConn, and they all have their own Big East division of the Big 12. If Wake joins that party great, if not that is just 1 vote.

What's more none of them are chomping at the bit to join the Big 10 and the Big 10 can't take all 7, or 8.

I think ESPN has this right where they want it for management's sake and I don't think Clemson is woofing, I think an administrator there leaked the news to get them all ready to hear the real news when it pops.

The networks seem to have a schedule to keep, and that schedule says they want the lineups completed by 2025.

Some may call it a platitude, but it will work because they are trying to avoid a postlude.

Good stuff as usual JR

I'm sticking with my picks:

SEC: FSU, Clemson, UNC, NC State, UVA, VA Tech, Duke and GA Tech

B1G: Notre Dame, Miami, Stanford and Cal

Big XII: Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, BC, Wake

Everybody lands on their feet and all horses are in their respective barns by the start of the 2026 football season
10-04-2023 05:10 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(10-04-2023 05:10 PM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  
(10-04-2023 05:01 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

The ACC will be no different. FSU, UNC, Clemson and number 4 which is unnamed will make the move before any of the others and do it while they have some leverage and while ESPN is there to help facilitate it. Personally, I believe the 4th is likely Duke. Those 4 are the most iconic brands in the ACC. And if Carolina knows its Duke, they keep it silent because their board of governors for the state schools might allow UNC to move. But they would be hoping that UNC would take N.C. state with them. Duke being private doesn't have to say a word until it happens, except to give notice. So, by not being named it avoid the drama of N.C. State.

But my point is yes, you are correct, they know what they are facing and what they must do about it. They are just looking for the most graceful way out and likely lobbying for 4 more. People say you can dissolve a conference because there are too many loosers. Move 8 to the SEC, set Notre Dame free, and place 5 in the Big 12 with playoff access and tourney access and at revenue rates near what they get now, and then let them split the parting gifts of the 8 and it likely gets done. That's making the best of a bad situation.

The issue here is that the old core wants to stay together. The Mag 7 and Duke get her done. B.C., Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, joining WVU, Cincy, and then possibly Yormark gets serious about UConn, and they all have their own Big East division of the Big 12. If Wake joins that party great, if not that is just 1 vote.

Good stuff as usual JR

I'm sticking with my picks:

SEC: FSU, Clemson, UNC, NC State, UVA, VA Tech, Duke and GA Tech

B1G: Notre Dame, Miami, Stanford and Cal

Big XII: Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, BC, Wake

Everybody lands on their feet and all horses are in their respective barns by the start of the 2026 football season

Your solution could work too. Especially since Cal and Stanford make it 16 votes to dissolve and 2 against. More than enough!
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2023 05:15 PM by JRsec.)
10-04-2023 05:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.