ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ballard Stadium Questions - First Time Visitor
HkyMtneer Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Appalachian
Good morning, Monarchs!

First off, I come in peace! I'm sure you can tell from my handle that I am the "enemy" but I am dropping in on your board this morning with no hostility...only looking for some expertise/advice from some hardcore Monarchs. My wife and I are planning to head up to the Tidewater for the App State game and will be bringing my 7-month old son along. The game at Ballard will be his first college football game. We took him to our App State fanfest back in August but he spends home games with the Mother-in-Law, as frankly, my wife and I make gamedays in Boone a long one and he just couldn't handle it this season. So, it'll be next season before his first Kidd Brewer Stadium experiences.

That having been said, we had the ODU and GASt games circled on the calendar as possible road trips with him this fall and you guys are up first. We booked an oceanfront room in VB for 3 nights and we're looking forward to getting up your way for a few days away. Back to why I'm here. We did not buy tickets through the App State allotment, for multiple reasons. One, we weren't quite sure if my son would really be ready for the trip and two, with an infant his age...things come up...so we didn't want to be on the hook for the cost. Babies aren't cheap and our little guy is proving an ornery cuss from time to time. Ha!

But here we are, about 2 1/2 weeks out and we're thinking, short of a last-minute sickness or something, the trip is a go. So, I'm needing advice on gameday at Ballard with a 7-month old. My wife and I have been on the campus before for baseball and basketball games but never been to Ballard, and certainly not with a little dude. We probably won't try to tailgate or anything like that...just too much of a logistical challenge with the unfamiliar surroundings. We will probably try to show up 90 minutes to 2 hours before kick, park somewhere, walk to the stadium, get in and get some concessions and get ready for kickoff. Knowing your stadium - where should I try and find tickets?

I don't really feel a need to be near the App State section - more concerned about a little "space" if possible so I could hold my little guy or walk him around easily if necessary. If the game is not a sellout anywhere in the stadium that gets a little "sparse" so that we could let him scream a bit and not bother folks? Parking advice? We don't mind a walk (I'll probably have him in a chest carrier) but nothing too crazy crazy would be great.

And lastly, my little man is EXPENSIVE! So, we're trying to manage our trip cost. If anyone has any intel on a couple "cheap" tickets, or access to a low-cost parking pass, or anything really...I'd be very interested. I realize, as I mentioned from the get, I'm the "enemy" but we're friendly enemies (though we will most definitely be decked out in our black and gold) and not the obnoxious kind and we'll be bringing a really cute chubby Michelin man of a baby along with us that folks seem to enjoy. :)
10-03-2023 06:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

benny_t Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
RE: Ballard Stadium Questions - First Time Visitor
(10-03-2023 06:28 AM)HkyMtneer Wrote:  Good morning, Monarchs!

First off, I come in peace! I'm sure you can tell from my handle that I am the "enemy" but I am dropping in on your board this morning with no hostility...only looking for some expertise/advice from some hardcore Monarchs. My wife and I are planning to head up to the Tidewater for the App State game and will be bringing my 7-month old son along. The game at Ballard will be his first college football game. We took him to our App State fanfest back in August but he spends home games with the Mother-in-Law, as frankly, my wife and I make gamedays in Boone a long one and he just couldn't handle it this season. So, it'll be next season before his first Kidd Brewer Stadium experiences.

That having been said, we had the ODU and GASt games circled on the calendar as possible road trips with him this fall and you guys are up first. We booked an oceanfront room in VB for 3 nights and we're looking forward to getting up your way for a few days away. Back to why I'm here. We did not buy tickets through the App State allotment, for multiple reasons. One, we weren't quite sure if my son would really be ready for the trip and two, with an infant his age...things come up...so we didn't want to be on the hook for the cost. Babies aren't cheap and our little guy is proving an ornery cuss from time to time. Ha!

But here we are, about 2 1/2 weeks out and we're thinking, short of a last-minute sickness or something, the trip is a go. So, I'm needing advice on gameday at Ballard with a 7-month old. My wife and I have been on the campus before for baseball and basketball games but never been to Ballard, and certainly not with a little dude. We probably won't try to tailgate or anything like that...just too much of a logistical challenge with the unfamiliar surroundings. We will probably try to show up 90 minutes to 2 hours before kick, park somewhere, walk to the stadium, get in and get some concessions and get ready for kickoff. Knowing your stadium - where should I try and find tickets?

I don't really feel a need to be near the App State section - more concerned about a little "space" if possible so I could hold my little guy or walk him around easily if necessary. If the game is not a sellout anywhere in the stadium that gets a little "sparse" so that we could let him scream a bit and not bother folks? Parking advice? We don't mind a walk (I'll probably have him in a chest carrier) but nothing too crazy crazy would be great.

And lastly, my little man is EXPENSIVE! So, we're trying to manage our trip cost. If anyone has any intel on a couple "cheap" tickets, or access to a low-cost parking pass, or anything really...I'd be very interested. I realize, as I mentioned from the get, I'm the "enemy" but we're friendly enemies (though we will most definitely be decked out in our black and gold) and not the obnoxious kind and we'll be bringing a really cute chubby Michelin man of a baby along with us that folks seem to enjoy. :)

If the last 2 home games are any indication of what to expect then having space should not be an issue. The parking garages by the Ted are free to park in and are around a half mile walk. The east side stands face the sun with no shade so keep that in mind. There is a concourse at the top of both west side sections so you can walk around with him and still be able to see the game.
10-03-2023 06:49 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

I'd go for an aisle seat in the last 4 rows or so of one of the lower level (100 level) tickets on the sidelines. This will give you good access to the concourse, where you can walk with him and still watch the game. The West side is the home side and provides a better angle of the scoreboard and is the shady side of the stadium. The East side is where the visitor sections and visitor team is. Just stay out of 101 or 120-123. Those are student sections and might not be what you're looking for.

Another reason to get 100 level tickets is our restrooms are all at ground level. So if you have to take the little one, it would be two flights you're climbing with him each time if you were on the 200 level (though we do have elevators).

As for parking, we offer free parking in the two garages that flank the basketball arena on 43rd and 45th street. If you park there, it's a fairly easy walk to the stadium. 45th is closer but that one will be harder to find a spot in at the time you estimate arriving since it has fewer spaces and shares the garage with the hotel.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2023 06:54 AM by Monarchist13.)
10-03-2023 06:51 AM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
You've gotten great advice so far. One thing to consider, our main student center is called Kaufman mall and a lot of free/inexpensive pregame activities happen there. Band marches thru etc. It's about 1 short block from the stadium.
10-03-2023 07:12 AM
ODURallyFox Online
1st String

We have a howitzer that appears at various games (except this year so far). It can provide quite the friendly scare if you do not see it or anticipate it coming. If you have some ear plugs for the little one, I would bring them just in case it decides to reappear.

Definitely go for the west side in the last 4-5 rows. The east side faces the sun and definitely gets warmer. Bathrooms are only located on ground floor, not main seating level (weird).

Visitor sections typically are on the east side on the far right closest to the end zone (if you are looking at the field on TV). Visitors also typically sit in the north end zone (opposite end) closest to the opposing team's locker room and where they enter/exit from.

Our stadium likely wont be full. We have a very boring atmosphere. The light show at halftime is pretty cool, but other than that, our entertainment is very hokey.

Enjoy and good luck! 04-cheers
10-03-2023 08:03 AM
Advertisement

Chillie Willie Online
All American

My babies are all grown up so I don't have any advice there. There are a few babies in my section but I never hear them. And there is one lady I thought might give birth right at the game. Just make sure to keep him screaming when App is on offense and we're good. Hoping for good weather for all of us. Welcome and enjoy the day.
10-03-2023 08:15 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

The east side is in direct sun and can get uncomfortable. Agree with 100 level advice for restroom access. Stub hub is good place for Cheap tix. Parking is free if you don’t tailgate. Check out Kaufman Mall on your way in for a little pregame fun.
10-03-2023 09:13 AM
ODURallyFox Online
1st String

(10-03-2023 03:56 PM)Monarchist13 Wrote:  
(10-03-2023 03:43 PM)joelwj Wrote:  
(10-03-2023 12:23 PM)ODURallyFox Wrote:  
(10-03-2023 12:02 PM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  
(10-03-2023 09:27 AM)ODURallyFox Wrote:  Either go all the way with it, or dont do it at all. Sure, great, its military appreciation day. But its a hokey look for us to only have it selectively throughout the season.

So you are advocating for not at all? I say we take what we can get.

Yes. Not at all at this point this year should it come back. Its been a consistent thing for us in the past and something that looks inconsistent is hokey to me. Bring it back fresh next year from day 1. I dont believe in doing things half ***. The school needs to challenge themselves to find more ways to make noise in the stadium. Will they? Probably not. But its wishful thinking.

I'm not against bringing it back this year, however, I do agree that it is "hokey" when it is not consistent. This is one of the few "traditions" that we have and when we can't execute consistently its more egg on the face of our in game experience.

A few years back we had inconsistency with the howitzer due to gov't budgets or something and I had the same feeling then. Clearly the entire department was/is aware of the use of the howitzer as being a "tradition" or "thing" as from what I understand the stadium remodel took into account how to ensure the howitzer got into the stadium and there was enough room.

Maybe its time to figure out how the ROTC/ODU can have their own howitzer without having to borrow it from National Guard. Granted i'm sure this is easier said than done, but atleast we are not depending on others to bring the BOOM!

I was told they've looked into buying their own but the maintenance, storage and operation of it is more expensive than one would expect. Wouldn't be surprised if they buy one eventually but it hasn't made financial sense yet.

Prime example of the school not opening up the purse strings. I think it is needed at this point. Other schools figure it out (maintenance, storage, operation). Schools that have live mascots or things like a Boomer Schooner wagon have figured it out. Why cant we? Cheap.
10-03-2023 07:46 PM
ODUsmitty Offline
Heisman

It is not that hot in late October on most days, and that sunny East side is much nicer later in the season. Just sayin.' On Labor Day, yeah it kind of sucks. Late fall, is pretty darned comfortable.

I'd add that that walking around the tailgate lots can be a lot of fun. Good people hanging with friends and good food, and will be generous if you engage. Blue lot across hampton blvd is large and lively.
10-05-2023 11:00 PM
Advertisement

Stat Geek Offline
Heisman

Im not gonna lie the east side is miserable for day games unless its below 50 degrees.
10-06-2023 07:56 AM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

(10-05-2023 11:00 PM)ODUsmitty Wrote:  It is not that hot in late October on most days, and that sunny East side is much nicer later in the season. Just sayin.' On Labor Day, yeah it kind of sucks. Late fall, is pretty darned comfortable.

I'd add that that walking around the tailgate lots can be a lot of fun. Good people hanging with friends and good food, and will be generous if you engage. Blue lot across hampton blvd is large and lively.

Agree. I have seats on west side and sometimes question that choice in Oct./Nov.
You get a pretty steady northeast wind in the fall and after 3-4 hours sitting in shade with wind it gets pretty cold.
If I had big money I'd buy seats on both sides.02-13-banana
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2023 07:58 AM by Old Dominion.)
10-06-2023 07:58 AM
Roy Munson Offline
Special Teams

(10-06-2023 07:56 AM)Stat Geek Wrote:  Im not gonna lie the east side is miserable for day games unless its below 50 degrees.

You sir, are teetering very close to being labeled soft.
10-06-2023 08:05 AM
Stat Geek Offline
Heisman

(10-06-2023 08:05 AM)Roy Munson Wrote:  
(10-06-2023 07:56 AM)Stat Geek Wrote:  Im not gonna lie the east side is miserable for day games unless its below 50 degrees.

Thats fine. My seats are now covered from the elements
10-06-2023 08:21 AM
Advertisement

MonarchManiac Online
Heisman

(10-06-2023 08:05 AM)Roy Munson Wrote:  

LOL. SOWFT.
10-06-2023 08:36 AM
Stat Geek Offline
Heisman

Bahahahahaha
10-06-2023 08:37 AM
ODURallyFox Online
1st String

03-rotfl
10-06-2023 09:55 AM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

One thing for sure. This year if you want you can move around. I had some great seats last game, had the whole row and cup holders for my water and beer. lol
10-06-2023 05:27 PM
Advertisement

Blue_Trombone Online
Heisman

Someone asked when the game would be. 7pm on the NFL Network

10-09-2023 12:43 PM
ODUsmitty Offline
Heisman

Night game, so side of field will not matter. I'll pass to the OP where we are tailgating. My old fraternity bros and little sisters tailgating on Killam. It is Oyster Bowl, but they want crabcakes, so I am doing that, cooked in bacon grease, with a few strips on top, sandwiched on a sweet filipino roll baked that morning. They are a fairly good offering.
10-11-2023 01:00 AM
MonarchManiac Online
Heisman

(10-11-2023 01:00 AM)ODUsmitty Wrote:  Night game, so side of field will not matter. I'll pass to the OP where we are tailgating. My old fraternity bros and little sisters tailgating on Killam. It is Oyster Bowl, but they want crabcakes, so I am doing that, cooked in bacon grease, with a few strips on top, sandwiched on a sweet filipino roll baked that morning. They are a fairly good offering.

If you wanna come to the white lot and just give all that to us, I wouldn't be mad.
10-11-2023 08:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.