Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Monday Musings
Bookmark and Share
fanfrompowellspub Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: EMU
Monday Musings
Close loss in front of 20k Chippewas in the sad flats puts the eagles a lap behind in the MAC West race. Nothing like the arbor brewing beer tent and homecoming to get the eagles right.
Another Ypsilanti business is closing with GO! ice cream announcing its last day, cant have anything nice downtown.
10-02-2023 05:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

RE: Monday Musings
(10-02-2023 05:58 PM)fanfrompowellspub Wrote:  Close loss in front of 20k Chippewas in the sad flats puts the eagles a lap behind in the MAC West race. Nothing like the arbor brewing beer tent and homecoming to get the eagles right.
Another Ypsilanti business is closing with GO! ice cream announcing its last day, cant have anything nice downtown.

Run for Mayor, Fan. I will move there if you do. It can be straightened out.
10-02-2023 06:04 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
(10-02-2023 06:04 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  
(10-02-2023 05:58 PM)fanfrompowellspub Wrote:  Close loss in front of 20k Chippewas in the sad flats puts the eagles a lap behind in the MAC West race. Nothing like the arbor brewing beer tent and homecoming to get the eagles right.

Run for Mayor, Fan. I will move there if you do. It can be straightened out.

Ditto this.
10-02-2023 06:24 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
I recently had dinner with some old EMU friends at Audreys in Depot Town. When I was a student I never visited Depot Town at all except I remember there was this great rock and roll bar on US 12 as you left Ypsi. Anyway I was impressed by the crowds and yeah it was happening. My brother who has inlaws in Ypsi township said the same thing. It seems to me Ypsi is the tale of two cities: the college related Ypsi and the non college Ypsi which is the remaining pieces of blue collar jobs that left town long ago. The trick is make both cities prosper.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2023 06:00 AM by emu79.)
10-03-2023 05:01 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(10-03-2023 05:01 AM)emu79 Wrote:  I recently had dinner with some old EMU friends at Audreys in Old Town. When I was a student I never visited Old Town at all except I remember there was this great rock and roll bar on US 12 as you left Ypsi. Anyway I was impressed by the crowds and yeah it was happening. My brother who has inlaws in Ypsi township said the same thing. It seems to me Ypsi is the tale of two cities: the college related Ypsi and the non college Ypsi which is the remaining pieces of blue collar jobs that left town long ago. The trick is make both cities prosper.

Agree.
10-03-2023 08:56 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

10-03-2023 11:19 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

10-03-2023 01:53 PM
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(10-03-2023 01:53 PM)emu steve Wrote:  Shep out with Tigers.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports...041655007/
I like Shep, but there were a lot of Tiger fans that didn't. Hope he lands on his feet in a position we can all hear from him. He probably won't be coming back to EMU unless Helmer is looking elsewhere.
10-03-2023 04:41 PM
fanfrompowellspub Offline
Special Teams

There is no old town. Its called Depot Town. Depot Town sprang up around the Railroad depot and the Civil War Barracks that is now the Thompson Block (great food BTW) The rumor is that Depot towns first real estate owners were old fashion grifters paying for train patrons from Wayne Michigan to make the area look well traveled. The train station has been closed since the Ronald Reagan administration. Downtown sprang up around the old stage coach trail based on the old Sauk trail that is Michigan Avenue. The areas are separated by Frog Island and Riverside Park. In the last 10 years we saw a renaissance of both areas mainly due to excellent restaurants from breakfast to dinner. Since Covid many have closed and it is concerning to see what will replace: B24s, Beezys, Red Rock, HAABS, Dejavu and now Go! & in Depot Town Cultivate, Wax Bar (which was ollies). It would help if the old college of business building became a place where people worked but who works in an office anymore? The future is murky with declining student enrollment for both areas.
10-04-2023 06:58 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

USA Today has info on FBS HC salaries.

C.C. is 590k with an 800k buyout (as of Dec 1, 2023).

Got 103k bonus for 2022 season.

Under paid vis a vis CMU, WMU, etc but able to put food on the table.03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2023 09:36 AM by emu steve.)
10-05-2023 09:36 AM
Advertisement

Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(10-04-2023 06:58 PM)fanfrompowellspub Wrote:  There is no old town. Its called Depot Town. Depot Town sprang up around the Railroad depot and the Civil War Barracks that is now the Thompson Block (great food BTW) The rumor is that Depot towns first real estate owners were old fashion grifters paying for train patrons from Wayne Michigan to make the area look well traveled. The train station has been closed since the Ronald Reagan administration. Downtown sprang up around the old stage coach trail based on the old Sauk trail that is Michigan Avenue. The areas are separated by Frog Island and Riverside Park. In the last 10 years we saw a renaissance of both areas mainly due to excellent restaurants from breakfast to dinner. Since Covid many have closed and it is concerning to see what will replace: B24s, Beezys, Red Rock, HAABS, Dejavu and now Go! & in Depot Town Cultivate, Wax Bar (which was ollies). It would help if the old college of business building became a place where people worked but who works in an office anymore? The future is murky with declining student enrollment for both areas.

DEPOT TOWN is absolutely hot! It is a far cry from when I attended EMU. The Alibi, which is now Aubree's was a dump and the Sidetrack was a shot and beer factory guy bar that dissed young patrons. The world has indeed changed.

That said, Depot Town's success seems to have come from the cannibalization of campus and Downtown. Maybe I am wrong, but is there only ONE bar on Cross St? The Wooden Nickle and Suds Factory on the north side of campus are long gone as well. Bobcat Bonnies is nice downtown, but it just ain't the Spaghetti Bender.

Run for Mayor Fan, please. Hire Tony Thompson as a consultant, he knows dive bars.
10-05-2023 05:36 PM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(10-05-2023 05:36 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  
(10-04-2023 06:58 PM)fanfrompowellspub Wrote:  There is no old town. Its called Depot Town. Depot Town sprang up around the Railroad depot and the Civil War Barracks that is now the Thompson Block (great food BTW) The rumor is that Depot towns first real estate owners were old fashion grifters paying for train patrons from Wayne Michigan to make the area look well traveled. The train station has been closed since the Ronald Reagan administration. Downtown sprang up around the old stage coach trail based on the old Sauk trail that is Michigan Avenue. The areas are separated by Frog Island and Riverside Park. In the last 10 years we saw a renaissance of both areas mainly due to excellent restaurants from breakfast to dinner. Since Covid many have closed and it is concerning to see what will replace: B24s, Beezys, Red Rock, HAABS, Dejavu and now Go! & in Depot Town Cultivate, Wax Bar (which was ollies). It would help if the old college of business building became a place where people worked but who works in an office anymore? The future is murky with declining student enrollment for both areas.

DEPOT TOWN is absolutely hot! It is a far cry from when I attended EMU. The Alibi, which is now Aubree's was a dump and the Sidetrack was a shot and beer factory guy bar that dissed young patrons. The world has indeed changed.

That said, Depot Town's success seems to have come from the cannibalization of campus and Downtown. Maybe I am wrong, but is there only ONE bar on Cross St? The Wooden Nickle and Suds Factory on the north side of campus are long gone as well. Bobcat Bonnies is nice downtown, but it just ain't the Spaghetti Bender.

Run for Mayor Fan, please. Hire Tony Thompson as a consultant, he knows dive bars.
A group of us did a Ypsi dive bar tour last year and it was very fun. McShane's, Wurst, Powell's, Regal Beagle, Tap Room... You can't do that in a lot of towns.
10-05-2023 08:34 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(10-05-2023 08:34 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  
(10-05-2023 05:36 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  

A group of us did a Ypsi dive bar tour last year and it was very fun. McShane's, Wurst, Powell's, Regal Beagle, Tap Room... You can't do that in a lot of towns.

Nickle you NAILED it! I've been to all of them sans the "Beagle" and it was always a good time.
10-06-2023 06:14 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Howard is having a surprisingly good season.

Worst defeat, 10 points was to us.

Then they easily beat Morehouse, lost by one to Hampton, easily beat Robert Morris and today lost by 3 to Northwestern of the B1G.
10-07-2023 08:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.