Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Golden Opportunity Next Year
Bookmark and Share
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
Golden Opportunity Next Year
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...alignment/

Next Year, the CFP will indeed be the top six conference champions in the CFP, and there will only be four power conferences. We can get in even if another G5 champ outranks us.
09-26-2023 09:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

b2b Offline
Heisman

I Root For: My Family + ECU
RE: Golden Opportunity Next Year
Except WSU and OSU want to rebuild the PAC. There's more than enough assets to make it worth it for them.
09-26-2023 09:48 AM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(09-26-2023 09:36 AM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...alignment/

Next Year, the CFP will indeed be the top six conference champions in the CFP, and there will only be four power conferences. We can get in even if another G5 champ outranks us.

I don't follow CFP news too carefully, so, my question is, can they change the 2024 version of the CFP, or will their talks result in changes to CFPs after 2024? Very low chance it stays Top 6 champs if there are only 4 power conferences.
09-26-2023 09:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
My prediction for GS after last year was that Helton would continue to build the team this year and next year have the Eagles competing for a conference title. Would love to see it all come together next year and make the expanded playoffs.

This can give G5 teams some help with recruiting. Let a recruit know that they would have a legit shot at making the playoffs at a good SBC, MWC, or AAC school.
09-26-2023 10:19 AM
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

(09-26-2023 09:57 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  
(09-26-2023 09:36 AM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...alignment/

I don't follow CFP news too carefully, so, my question is, can they change the 2024 version of the CFP, or will their talks result in changes to CFPs after 2024? Very low chance it stays Top 6 champs if there are only 4 power conferences.

Next year it will remain 6 Champs + 6 at large.
Which is great for the SBC because that gives at least 2 chances the SBC champ gets in. Gonna be a dog fight next year trying to get one of those auto spots.
09-26-2023 10:21 AM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
Hhhmmmm,we could be peaking at the right time.
09-26-2023 10:42 AM
Advertisement

All American

(09-26-2023 09:48 AM)b2b Wrote:  Except WSU and OSU want to rebuild the PAC. There's more than enough assets to make it worth it for them.

Yes, but a rebuilt Pac basically means a MW that ceases to exist. And the Pac would effectively be a G5. So the SBC would need to outrank just three among the Pac, AAC, CUSA, and MAC, not four.

All we know is that the format will be top six conf champs for 2024. All bets are off after that. Hence next year is the golden opportunity.
09-26-2023 10:45 AM
hapapp Offline
Special Teams

I think there is a two year deal at 6-6. That's likely to change after that. The SEC commish is pushing hard to change that. It does require an 11-0 vote to change that but the G5 schools are also mindful of what could happen if they resist too heavily.
09-26-2023 10:46 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU

For the first two years all 11 conferences would have to agree to change the format, and the AAC has already come out and said they will not vote for such a manouver.

After 2025, it comes up for negotiation again, and that's where things get messy.
09-26-2023 10:53 AM
b2b Offline
Heisman

(09-26-2023 10:45 AM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  
(09-26-2023 09:48 AM)b2b Wrote:  Except WSU and OSU want to rebuild the PAC. There's more than enough assets to make it worth it for them.

Yes, but a rebuilt Pac basically means a MW that ceases to exist. And the Pac would effectively be a G5. So the SBC would need to outrank just three among the Pac, AAC, CUSA, and MAC, not four.

All we know is that the format will be top six conf champs for 2024. All bets are off after that. Hence next year is the golden opportunity.

I don't think any of these leagues will cease to exist. See CUSA post AAC and SBC raids. If that couldn't kill a conference I don't know what ever could. I think what will happen is Pac-2 adds the best of the MWC and some of the AAC Texas schools. I think they'll get a waiver for 2024 so that they can exist in some capacity to collect the NCAA and CFP revenues which dwarf both the MWC and AAC TV contracts alone.
09-26-2023 11:02 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(09-26-2023 10:46 AM)hapapp Wrote:  I think there is a two year deal at 6-6. That's likely to change after that. The SEC commish is pushing hard to change that. It does require an 11-0 vote to change that but the G5 schools are also mindful of what could happen if they resist too heavily.

Not only do I not think it will change to 5-7 after 2025 but I think it'll change to 7-9 or 8-8.

In the 12-team format basically 2 teams get first-round byes. The SEC and the B1G won't want to go beyond 12 but the 2 mid-tier leagues (ACC and Big 12) don't care as much if that goes away.
09-26-2023 11:04 AM
Advertisement

All American

(09-26-2023 11:04 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  
(09-26-2023 10:46 AM)hapapp Wrote:  I think there is a two year deal at 6-6. That's likely to change after that. The SEC commish is pushing hard to change that. It does require an 11-0 vote to change that but the G5 schools are also mindful of what could happen if they resist too heavily.

Not only do I not think it will change to 5-7 after 2025 but I think it'll change to 7-9 or 8-8.

In the 12-team format basically 2 teams get first-round byes. The SEC and the B1G won't want to go beyond 12 but the 2 mid-tier leagues (ACC and Big 12) don't care as much if that goes away.

Four teams get first round byes.

The one seed would wait on the 8 vs. 9 winner.
The two seed would wait on the 7 vs. 10 winner.
The three seed would wait on the 6 vs. 11 winner.
The four seed would wait on the 5 vs. 12 winner.
09-26-2023 11:08 AM
herdfan129 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall & Liberty
(09-26-2023 11:04 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  

8 autobids to conference champs is the only way to go. That still leaves 8 At Large bids.

I would love this, but doubt it ever happens.

Our best chance for that argument is a good showing (wins) from the G5 teams in the next two playoffs.
09-26-2023 11:21 AM
balanced_view Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
(09-26-2023 11:02 AM)b2b Wrote:  

I don't think any of these leagues will cease to exist. See CUSA post AAC and SBC raids. If that couldn't kill a conference I don't know what ever could. I think what will happen is Pac-2 adds the best of the MWC and some of the AAC Texas schools. I think they'll get a waiver for 2024 so that they can exist in some capacity to collect the NCAA and CFP revenues which dwarf both the MWC and AAC TV contracts alone.

I see a lot of realignment talk about back fills once the PAC 2 and MW/AAC moves all happen. what gets lost is the new NCAA rule for moving up to FBS, i remember a few months ago many were saying how the new barriers were large enough to keep most from moving up like in the past. throw in not many in the western part of the country to even consider , and its not had to see 1 conference go away soon.
09-26-2023 12:55 PM
balanced_view Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
(09-26-2023 10:53 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

For the first two years all 11 conferences would have to agree to change the format, and the AAC has already come out and said they will not vote for such a manouver.

After 2025, it comes up for negotiation again, and that's where things get messy.

This is where my memory was also. guaranteed at least 2 years of 6-6 format with a strong change both years have 2 G5 teams in the playoff. I dont know when the voting will be on the next format but im almost sure it will be before the G5 teams get a change to prove they deserve 2 spots on the field in said playoff.
09-26-2023 12:59 PM
GSUdpb Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Georgia State
(09-26-2023 12:55 PM)balanced_view Wrote:  
(09-26-2023 11:02 AM)b2b Wrote:  

I see a lot of realignment talk about back fills once the PAC 2 and MW/AAC moves all happen. what gets lost is the new NCAA rule for moving up to FBS, i remember a few months ago many were saying how the new barriers were large enough to keep most from moving up like in the past. throw in not many in the western part of the country to even consider , and its not had to see 1 conference go away soon.

If I'm not mistaken those were all proposals and have never been voted on. Nothing has changed from the last round of promotions.
09-26-2023 02:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Johnnychimpo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TXST, G5, TTU sometimes
Perfect would be going to best 8 conference champions with 8 at larges in 16 team format like sweet 16 MBB.

If a G5 conference overtook the #4/#5 conference spot I’m sure it could be statistically possible for that conference to get a 2nd at large team in as the #8 at large.
09-26-2023 03:23 PM
WARDAWG93 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM Warhawks
We should be ready to claim a spot by then. 04-rock
09-26-2023 05:25 PM
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

Why is Aresco supporting a 5+7 model? That would lessen the AAC chances at a CFP spot. This makes no sense. Anyone have a theory? Does he just assume the AAC will always be top dog? Or does he plan to leave for another conference, like a rebuilt PAC?
09-27-2023 06:06 AM
b2b Offline
Heisman

(09-27-2023 06:06 AM)trueeagle98 Wrote:  Why is Aresco supporting a 5+7 model? That would lessen the AAC chances at a CFP spot. This makes no sense. Anyone have a theory? Does he just assume the AAC will always be top dog? Or does he plan to leave for another conference, like a rebuilt PAC?
Read the whole article. He supports 5+7 if the Pac12 cases to exist.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2023 06:37 AM by b2b.)
09-27-2023 06:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.