Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Anyone for Colorado to Big Ten?
Sparty Baby 84 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Michigan State
Anyone for Colorado to Big Ten?
Regardless of how long Deion Sanders stays at CU, the fact is that CU's 1990 football natty and their 1994 Hiesman winner give them a football history that is richer than all but Miami's, Florida State's and Notre Dame's among the realistic Big Ten candidates.

In terms of CU fan engagement in a pre or post Dieon world, to compare whatever CU's lifetime fan engagement level is to some of the schools it will someday be competing against for Big Ten spots (21-24)...

I just watched some of Virginia hosting NC State and in terms of how much the UVA fan base apparently actually cares,* Virginia pales in comparison to Purdue fans hosting Wisconsin and the difference is noticeable upon watching either game on the exact same night at the exact same time featuring almost identical matchups in terms of opponent strength (here, NC State = Wisconsin). Bringing this up isn't even to pick on Virginia, but check out any Colorado game lately and their fans are at Penn State or Wisconsin levels of wild. Note, Ohio State fans aren't actually that loud (too spoiled... I live in Columbus and the games rarely get tense enough for meaningful fan engagement... we're talking one game a year at best) and the stadium architecture at Michigan basically lets out all the noise from their 100,000 fans in the stands.

*Side Note: Dear Stanford, yes at some point you will need to show the Big Ten that you actually have fans. Maybe AI can do that for you in the future but until then, we're not taking you for free or otherwise.

Additionally:
  • The State of Colorado has a population of 5.8 million.
  • CU is AAU certified.
  • CU can draw eyeballs, and CU is willing to pay for the right coach to do so.
  • When the 50-year climate change factor kicks in, states like Colorado will be even more desirable for relocation than they are now.
  • Adding CU to the B1G gives Nebraska a true in-conference rival, and in turn, another "Primetime" worthy matchup for its network partners.

So, without further adieu here's my post-ACC Big Ten 24 and the SEC 24 as well...

B1G West
USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, *Colorado, *Arizona State, *Utah, *California

B1G Central
Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota, *Kansas, *Missouri (yeah, get them from the SEC... and I don't think the SEC would mind... I want this move as proof of concept to one day get Texas... ala Dallas Cowboys wanting to stay in the NFC East when the NFL realigned their divisions by geography)

B1G East... It lives!
Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue, Penn State, Maryland, Rutgers

For those of you reading this far, I did not include Notre Dame or Stanford because I think both will drop football before having football player employees... and that day is coming within 50 years. If Northwestern follows suit and joins Army, Navy, ND, Stanford, Duke etc. in a future non-employee conference, then a spot opens up for Oklahoma, Texas, or Pitt/Cuse/BC/Cincy/WVU to join the Big Ten and complete it as AFC to the SEC's NFC.

And now the SEC...

SEC West
Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, *Oklahoma State, *TCU, *Texas Tech, LSU, Arkansas

SEC South
Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Georgia, Florida, *Florida State, *Miami

SEC Another Name Than North
Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, South Carolina, *Clemson, *Virginia, *North Carolina, *NC State
09-22-2023 10:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bryanw1995 Online
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
RE: Anyone for Colorado to Big Ten?
There are only 3 ACC schools that are slam dunks for the P2. There are probably 4-6 slots for us to fill. So...who will be teams 4-6? Colorado is certainly in that mix, though perhaps not at the top of the list. I'd say more that they're likely to at least be in the conversation if they can continue down their current path.
09-22-2023 11:22 PM
DawgNBama Online
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(09-22-2023 10:46 PM)Sparty Baby 84 Wrote:  Regardless of how long Deion Sanders stays at CU, the fact is that CU's 1990 football natty and their 1994 Hiesman winner give them a football history that is richer than all but Miami's, Florida State's and Notre Dame's among the realistic Big Ten candidates.

In terms of CU fan engagement in a pre or post Dieon world, to compare whatever CU's lifetime fan engagement level is to some of the schools it will someday be competing against for Big Ten spots (21-24)...

I just watched some of Virginia hosting NC State and in terms of how much the UVA fan base apparently actually cares,* Virginia pales in comparison to Purdue fans hosting Wisconsin and the difference is noticeable upon watching either game on the exact same night at the exact same time featuring almost identical matchups in terms of opponent strength (here, NC State = Wisconsin). Bringing this up isn't even to pick on Virginia, but check out any Colorado game lately and their fans are at Penn State or Wisconsin levels of wild. Note, Ohio State fans aren't actually that loud (too spoiled... I live in Columbus and the games rarely get tense enough for meaningful fan engagement... we're talking one game a year at best) and the stadium architecture at Michigan basically lets out all the noise from their 100,000 fans in the stands.

*Side Note: Dear Stanford, yes at some point you will need to show the Big Ten that you actually have fans. Maybe AI can do that for you in the future but until then, we're not taking you for free or otherwise.

Additionally:
  • CU is AAU certified.
  • When the 50-year climate change factor kicks in, states like Colorado will be even more desirable for relocation than they are now.
  • Adding CU to the B1G gives Nebraska a true in-conference rival, and in turn, another "Primetime" worthy matchup for its network partners.

So, without further adieu here's my post-ACC Big Ten 24 and the SEC 24 as well...

B1G West

B1G Central
Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota, *Kansas, *Missouri (yeah, get them from the SEC... and I don't think the SEC would mind... I want this move as proof of concept to one day get Texas... ala Dallas Cowboys wanting to stay in the NFC East when the NFL realigned their divisions by geography)

B1G East... It lives!
Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue, Penn State, Maryland, Rutgers

For those of you reading this far, I did not include Notre Dame or Stanford because I think both will drop football before having football player employees... and that day is coming within 50 years. If Northwestern follows suit and joins Army, Navy, ND, Stanford, Duke etc. in a future non-employee conference, then a spot opens up for Oklahoma, Texas, or Pitt/Cuse/BC/Cincy/WVU to join the Big Ten and complete it as AFC to the SEC's NFC.

And now the SEC...

SEC West

SEC South
Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Georgia, Florida, *Florida State, *Miami

Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, South Carolina, *Clemson, *Virginia, *North Carolina, *NC State

Let me just say this, SpartyBaby, your alignment is very tempting , and a lot more grounded in reality than a lot of the others I have seen from B1G folk. That being said, I just don't think Mizzou wants to join the B1G. I really don't, and I'm being honest when I say that. So that, necessitates one of two things: either finding KU another AAU worthy rival, or abandoning KU to the SEC in favor of someone else. K-State would give KU a rival, but as you and I both know they aren't AAU. Would Colorado work?? Again, I don't really know. All I know is that both Mizzou and K-State are rivals of Kansas, and that Mizzou really likes the SEC. Too bad K-State isn't in the AAU.; that wouuld make this easier, IMO.

Edit: idea!

i]B1G West[/i]

B1G Central
Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Indiana, Purdue

B1G East... It lives!
Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, *Pittsburgh (finally gives PSU another rival), *Syracuse, Penn State, Maryland, Rutgers

And now the SEC...

SEC West
Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, *Oklahoma State, Mizzou, *Kansas, LSU, Arkansas

SEC South

SEC East

The SEC actually has the state of Texas nailed down pretty good, which is why I didn't add TCU & TTU back in. Meanwhile, although PSU doesn't like to acknowledge it, they really do need Pittsburgh again. Syracuse is comparable to Kansas in basketball, and locks down NYC, IMO. UVa might be needed to bring UNC along, although I hope not. I figure NC State eill definitely be needed for the North Carolina political leaders though.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2023 12:17 AM by DawgNBama.)
09-22-2023 11:51 PM
Skyhawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Big10
(09-22-2023 10:46 PM)Sparty Baby 84 Wrote:  Regardless of how long Deion Sanders stays at CU, the fact is that CU's 1990 football natty and their 1994 Hiesman winner give them a football history that is richer than all but Miami's, Florida State's and Notre Dame's among the realistic Big Ten candidates.

Additionally:
  • CU is AAU certified.

B1G West

B1G Central

B1G East... It lives!

[,,,]

Somehow this all seems oddly familiar to me : )

Anyway, just a couple thoughts:

a.) While I think Stanford might make it to the Big10 someday, I don't think Cal-Berkeley will. Besides the various other reasons, they don't need 2 from the SF region. And neither school seems to be showing a lot in the way of fans. So, not unlike Highlander: "There can be only 1". And I think Stanford's all-sports history, and their academics edge out Cal pretty easily.

b.) As noted above, I don't think Missouri is going anywhere. I once thought they might be interested, but I think circumstances would need to change quite a bit before Missouri would decide to leave the SEC.

c.) Kansas on the other hand... lol

I think they "fit" well in either the Big10 or the SEC. But just as I think Missouri leans more in the SEC direction, so too do I think Kansas leans more in the Big10 direction.

d.) And yes, I think adding Kansas and Colorado to go to 20 would be very good for the Big10.

It not only beefs up the western side a bit, but Colorado add a travel "lily-pad", similar to what SMU will be doing for the ACC.

And restores 2 past rivals for Nebraska - a strong brand that's been looking on the weak side for decades. And not working to strengthen a weakening in-conference brand is like literally throwing money away.

e.) In the past, USC threatened to quit the PAC if they didn't add both AZ and AZ state. Both are AAU schools, in a state that is alumni heavy.
---

So basically, compared to your proposal, I would add Stanford instead of Cal, and Arizona instead of Missouri.

B1G West
Washington, Oregon, *Stanford, USC, UCLA, *Arizona, *Arizona State, *Utah

B1G Central
*Colorado, *Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota

B1G East... It lives!

And whenever the ACC schools come available, they can still add 4 or more of those as well. At that point, who cares about 24 as a target number of seats any more?
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2023 12:39 AM by Skyhawk.)
09-23-2023 12:37 AM
Sactowndog Offline
All American

I Root For: Fresno State Texas A&M
(09-23-2023 12:37 AM)Skyhawk Wrote:  

Additionally:
  • CU is AAU certified.

B1G West

B1G Central

B1G East... It lives!

[,,,]

Somehow this all seems oddly familiar to me : )

a.) While I think Stanford might make it to the Big10 someday, I don't think Cal-Berkeley will. Besides the various other reasons, they don't need 2 from the SF region. And neither school seems to be showing a lot in the way of fans. So, not unlike Highlander: "There can be only 1". And I think Stanford's all-sports history, and their academics edge out Cal pretty easily.

b.) As noted above, I don't think Missouri is going anywhere. I once thought they might be interested, but I think circumstances would need to change quite a bit before Missouri would decide to leave the SEC.

I think they "fit" well in either the Big10 or the SEC. But just as I think Missouri leans more in the SEC direction, so too do I think Kansas leans more in the Big10 direction.

d.) And yes, I think adding Kansas and Colorado to go to 20 would be very good for the Big10.

It not only beefs up the western side a bit, but Colorado add a travel "lily-pad", similar to what SMU will be doing for the ACC.

And restores 2 past rivals for Nebraska - a strong brand that's been looking on the weak side for decades. And not working to strengthen a weakening in-conference brand is like literally throwing money away.

e.) In the past, USC threatened to quit the PAC if they didn't add both AZ and AZ state. Both are AAU schools, in a state that is alumni heavy.
---

So basically, compared to your proposal, I would add Stanford instead of Cal, and Arizona instead of Missouri.

B1G West

B1G Central
*Colorado, *Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota

B1G East... It lives!

And whenever the ACC schools come available, they can still add 4 or more of those as well. At that point, who cares about 24 as a target number of seats any more?

I think if they go to 24 they will go 4 groups of 6….

The question is do they take two small population State like Utah/Kansas and ignore the huge states in the east. I agree they take one of Stanford or Cal but not both… so I have….

USC, UCLA, UW, UO, UA or ASU, Stanford or Cal

Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, UMinn, Wisky, Kansas

Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, MSU, Illinois

Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland, Ohio State, Pitt, ???

The obvious ???? is Notre Dame who is big in New York….. if ND stays out then i think UConn or others might slide in.
09-23-2023 01:11 AM
513Alex Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Bearcats/Boliers/Bengals
Climate change is now part of realingnment lol.
09-23-2023 03:42 AM
Advertisement

GoBuckeyes1047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio State
(09-22-2023 11:51 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  

Additionally:
  • CU is AAU certified.

B1G West

B1G Central

B1G East... It lives!

And now the SEC...

SEC West

SEC South

Let me just say this, SpartyBaby, your alignment is very tempting , and a lot more grounded in reality than a lot of the others I have seen from B1G folk. That being said, I just don't think Mizzou wants to join the B1G. I really don't, and I'm being honest when I say that. So that, necessitates one of two things: either finding KU another AAU worthy rival, or abandoning KU to the SEC in favor of someone else. K-State would give KU a rival, but as you and I both know they aren't AAU. Would Colorado work?? Again, I don't really know. All I know is that both Mizzou and K-State are rivals of Kansas, and that Mizzou really likes the SEC. Too bad K-State isn't in the AAU.; that wouuld make this easier, IMO.

Edit: idea!

i]B1G West[/i]

B1G Central
Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Indiana, Purdue

B1G East... It lives!
Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, *Pittsburgh (finally gives PSU another rival), *Syracuse, Penn State, Maryland, Rutgers

And now the SEC...

SEC West
Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, *Oklahoma State, Mizzou, *Kansas, LSU, Arkansas

SEC South

SEC East

The SEC actually has the state of Texas nailed down pretty good, which is why I didn't add TCU & TTU back in. Meanwhile, although PSU doesn't like to acknowledge it, they really do need Pittsburgh again. Syracuse is comparable to Kansas in basketball, and locks down NYC, IMO. UVa might be needed to bring UNC along, although I hope not. I figure NC State eill definitely be needed for the North Carolina political leaders though.

I actually think you could do 4 groups of 6 here for the SEC (note, I'm using SEC A & B because I can't think of other names besides the original SEC divisions and Big 12/ACC, this isn't suggesting Pro/Rel).

SEC West A:
Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
LSU
Miss State
Ole Miss

SEC West B:
Kansas
Missouri
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.
Texas
Texas A&M

SEC East A:
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

SEC East B:
Clemson
Florida St.
Miami (FL)
North Carolina
NC State
Virginia

Protected Crossovers:
Alabama-Tennessee
Arkansas-Texas
Auburn-Georgia
Clemson-South Carolina
Florida-Florida St.
Kansas-North Carolina/Virginia
Kentucky-Miss State
LSU-Texas A&M
Miami (FL)-Oklahoma
Missouri-Virginia/North Carolina
NC State-Oklahoma St.
Ole Miss-Vanderbilt
09-23-2023 05:10 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
FWIW, that the Big Ten studied plans for taking in Nebraska AND Colorado as a contingency plan if the Big XII didn't work (and I guess the Big 8 simply ceasing to be) back in the early 90's, I do wonder whether Colorado had any talks with Big Ten school presidents over the last year or so, and how those might have gone.

Of course, maybe any interest the Big Ten could have had 30 or so years ago was that Colorado was the closest thing to a PAC school in the Big 8. But, when you can actually just acquire the "crown jewels" from the PAC, now Boulder isn't so special?
09-23-2023 06:40 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(09-22-2023 11:22 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  There are only 3 ACC schools that are slam dunks for the P2. There are probably 4-6 slots for us to fill.

Colorado is in the conversation if there are 4-6 slots to fill per S2 conference. Now all that is needed is a shift in the driver for realignment so that there are 4-6 slots to fill.
09-23-2023 07:07 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
IMO, the recent B1G expansion out west, and the Prime phenomenon, have both made Colorado more attractive to the B1G. So I think that could happen in the coming years, whereas say two years ago I would have said it was extremely unlikely.

And institutionally, I think they might fit better with the B1G than the nB12. So sure.
09-23-2023 07:37 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(09-23-2023 06:40 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  FWIW, that the Big Ten studied plans for taking in Nebraska AND Colorado as a contingency plan if the Big XII didn't work (and I guess the Big 8 simply ceasing to be) back in the early 90's, I do wonder whether Colorado had any talks with Big Ten school presidents over the last year or so, and how those might have gone.

Of course, maybe any interest the Big Ten could have had 30 or so years ago was that Colorado was the closest thing to a PAC school in the Big 8. But, when you can actually just acquire the "crown jewels" from the PAC, now Boulder isn't so special?

Never heard that before, got a link?

Colorado and Arizona State are the most realistic Big Ten moves from here.
09-23-2023 07:51 AM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(09-23-2023 07:37 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  IMO, the recent B1G expansion out west, and the Prime phenomenon, have both made Colorado more attractive to the B1G. So I think that could happen in the coming years, whereas say two years ago I would have said it was extremely unlikely.

And institutionally, I think they might fit better with the B1G than the nB12. So sure.

Colorado is a great institutional fit for the Big Ten - AAU school, flagship, and a market that draws a LOT of Midwest transplants. (If anyone saw the Cubs-Rockies games last week, they were legitimately Cubs home games despite being in Denver.) Prior to USC/UCLA joining, I would have put them as the main school from the Pac-12 that would seem to be a “reasonable” (e.g. adding USC seemed to be total pie-in-the-sky akin to taking Alabama from the SEC).

The issue with them in today’s realignment paradigm has simply been whether they’re providing enough football value. Obviously, they’re an enigma this season. If they’re consistent like the 1990s/early-2000s Colorado teams, then yeah, there could be a lot of value there for the Big Ten.
09-23-2023 08:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Additionally:
  • CU is AAU certified.
    When the 50-year climate change factor kicks in, states like Colorado will be even more desirable for relocation than they are now.

B1G West

B1G Central

B1G East... It lives!

And now the SEC...

SEC West

SEC South

Seriously 50 year climate change? With Woke culture FB may well be in the history books before that.
09-23-2023 09:03 AM
djsuperfly Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
(09-22-2023 10:46 PM)Sparty Baby 84 Wrote:  [*]When the 50-year climate change factor kicks in, states like Colorado will be even more desirable for relocation than they are now.

If you're making the argument based on climate change, you would have to consider that in 50 years Colorado might not have any water.
09-23-2023 09:12 AM
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
I’d like to see CU step in along with Utah to become the next OU-UT duo of the Big12.
09-23-2023 09:58 AM
Skyhawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Big10
(09-23-2023 01:11 AM)Sactowndog Wrote:  
(09-23-2023 12:37 AM)Skyhawk Wrote:  Somehow this all seems oddly familiar to me : )

---

B1G West

B1G Central

B1G East... It lives!

I think if they go to 24 they will go 4 groups of 6….

The question is do they take two small population State like Utah/Kansas and ignore the huge states in the east. I agree they take one of Stanford or Cal but not both… so I have….

USC, UCLA, UW, UO, UA or ASU, Stanford or Cal

Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, UMinn, Wisky, Kansas

Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, MSU, Illinois

Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland, Ohio State, Pitt, ???

The obvious ???? is Notre Dame who is big in New York….. if ND stays out then i think UConn or others might slide in.

I agree about Utah. I think the AZ schools are added before Utah is.

As for the eastern side, if the ACC schools are on the table (and presuming that the rumors are true and NC, FSU, Clemson (with 1 or more - VT, NC state, Duke and/or GT), are going to the SEC), then I think the most likely are: VA and Miami. With Duke, GT and USF as additional possibles.

I think Pittsburgh only happens if the SEC shuts them out nearly completely, and even then, I'm not sure.
09-23-2023 10:52 AM
Advertisement

bryanw1995 Online
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(09-23-2023 09:12 AM)djsuperfly Wrote:  
(09-22-2023 10:46 PM)Sparty Baby 84 Wrote:  [*]When the 50-year climate change factor kicks in, states like Colorado will be even more desirable for relocation than they are now.

If you're making the argument based on climate change, you would have to consider that in 50 years Colorado might not have any water.

It won’t matter, in 50 years they’ll be able to take the space elevator to games in LEO.

Looking at how CU is doing today, I wonder if they might actually get some B1G interest. Big ratings, so-so performance on the field…that’s right up the B1G’s alley!
09-23-2023 05:49 PM
Garden_KC Offline
1st String

I Root For: Landscaping
Prime joke.
09-23-2023 06:56 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(09-23-2023 05:49 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  ... It won’t matter, in 50 years they’ll be able to take the space elevator to games in LEO. ...

"And in 50 years the habitats in LEO will be Prime Real Estate, so it will make all the sense in the world for Coach Prime (thanks to the rejuve drugs developed in 2050) to lead the fundraising drive to put the new Colorado stadium in LEO."

Other than Ozzies in the southern states and the West somehow finding a way to still be playing Ozzie Rules and Ozzies in the eastern states somehow finding a way to still be playing Rugby League, I don't think we can predict with much confidence about what sports will be played in various parts of the world fifty years from now.
09-23-2023 11:50 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
I figured people would be piling up on CU, but the fact of the matter is their ceiling gets them there. CU and ASU are the next Big Ten invites.. and they’ll play hockey ta boot
09-24-2023 12:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread:

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.