Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How Long Before Colorado is the Texas of the nBig 12?
BruinNation Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UCLA
How Long Before Colorado is the Texas of the nBig 12?
The 9.3 million viewers for a Pac 12 After Dark game versus Colorado State is absolutely insane, really is unbelievable. If it’s some other first year coach bringing in a 1-2 Buffs squad to the Rocky Mountain Showdown, what are we looking at, 800,000 viewers? Amazing is what to describe the Deion Effect.

If you combine the tsunami of momentum Colorado has now and is bringing to the nBig 12, combined with a pretty terrible start as a whole from the remaining members (heaven forbid if Texas and Oklahoma run roughshod through the conference to the championship game), how soon will Colorado go full-on Florida State and start demanding concessions and more money distribution? Why should Colorado make 31.7m, same as Kansas State, UCF, Houston, etc., when they are bringing in the eyeballs.

Even with an excellent Utah program, along with AZ and ASU, coming aboard, the Prime Effect will dominate all attention and recruiting within the conference.

It’s a pretty remarkable turnaround, as Colorado never even bothered to try to compete in the Pac 12 until the last year of conference, and they hit the Powerball ticket of coaching hires.

If/when Deion leaves and takes his players and staff with him, Colorado would turn back into the pumpkin they’ve been the last 20 years. But for now, the Buffs are the belle of the ball, and they’ll want the biggest diamond ring.
09-19-2023 11:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
RE: How Long Before Colorado is the Texas of the nBig 12?
Why would he leave? With what he's bringing to the table, CU can afford to pay him as much as any P2 school would. Having said that, it's still early. Let's see how the team (and the ratings) hold up after playing 6 ranked Pac opponents over the next 9 weeks.
09-19-2023 11:18 AM
NDSUguy Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NDSU
Deion and the CU team are interesting but honestly the reason for viewers is primarily due to sports media pumping the Deion (and the team) up so much. They are looking for story lines and once CU starts losing the story will go somewhere else.

The reality is they beat a mediocre TCU team (with 3 returning starters from last year) and a bad CSU team. It's not like they they have knocked off Ohio State or any other perennial top 10 teams.

3 weeks from now when they have lost to USC and Oregon, the fervor over the team will die down considerably. Hell, they won't even be ranked by then.
09-19-2023 11:27 AM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

(09-19-2023 11:27 AM)NDSUguy Wrote:  Deion and the CU team are interesting but honestly the reason for viewers is primarily due to sports media pumping the Deion (and the team) up so much. They are looking for story lines and once CU starts losing the story will go somewhere else.

The reality is they beat a mediocre TCU team (with 3 returning starters from last year) and a bad CSU team. It's not like they they have knocked off Ohio State or any other perennial top 10 teams.

3 weeks from now when they have lost to USC and Oregon, the fervor over the team will die down considerably. Hell, they won't even be ranked by then.

I was having similar thoughts when I first saw this thread, but I looked at TCU after posting. They looked pretty good in their next 2 games, including a beatdown on UH last weekend. I think they're a quality team and will make some noise in the Big 12. CU's issue isn't lack of talent I think, but rather lack of depth. They can't replace Hunter, and if Sanders goes down...it's game over for them. If Sanders stays healthy and Hunter comes back A-ok in a few weeks then CU will win some and lose some in the Pac but come out of the season looking like huge winners, with a lot of momentum heading into 2024.

As for them replacing Texas? That's a bit premature, as all the hype is built around Deion rather than CU as a program. They were a laughingstock for the 15 years before he got there, they can go right back to that if he leaves in the next few years. Texas has proven many times over the past century that they can be under .500 and still dominate the headlines, when/if CU reaches that rarefied air then we can start comparing them to Texas.
09-19-2023 11:34 AM
Sicembear11 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Baylor
(09-19-2023 11:27 AM)NDSUguy Wrote:  Deion and the CU team are interesting but honestly the reason for viewers is primarily due to sports media pumping the Deion (and the team) up so much. They are looking for story lines and once CU starts losing the story will go somewhere else.

Colorado is the most interesting team going into the year. Colorado's early success has been surprising (@TCU), notable (vs. Nebraska), and dramatic (OT against CSU). They promised drama and interest and have delivered. It isn't so much, "are they for real" but instead "what are they going to do next?"

They could finish third or fourth in the PAC and STILL be the most interesting team in college football.
09-19-2023 12:23 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
If, by being the Texas of the nBig12, you mean a perennial underachiever, there's a decent chance they could fill that role. But to underachieve you must first be expected to achieve. I'm not sure they will get to that point.
09-19-2023 12:38 PM
Advertisement

PeteTheChop Offline
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
(09-19-2023 12:23 PM)Sicembear11 Wrote:  They could finish third or fourth in the PAC and STILL be the most interesting team in college football.

The Pac-12 isn't the SEC or the B1G.

Be shocking if the Buffs finish in the Top 4 with @Oregon, USC, @UCLA, Oregon State, @WSU and @Utah still to play.
09-19-2023 12:39 PM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
Colorado becoming bigger than the University of Texas.

Time to pull the mat back out.

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2023 12:41 PM by Michael in Raleigh.)
09-19-2023 12:40 PM
gwelymernans Offline
2nd String

I Root For: psu
(09-19-2023 11:18 AM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  Why would he leave? With what he's bringing to the table, CU can afford to pay him as much as any P2 school would. Having said that, it's still early. Let's see how the team (and the ratings) hold up after playing 6 ranked Pac opponents over the next 9 weeks.

Think he'll be there at least two or three seasons, but if FSU came calling for his services I think he'd leave for that opportunity. If an NFL team calls him, all bets are off.
09-19-2023 01:35 PM
jacksfan29! Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jackrabbits, Army, CU

Some, but they are fun to watch. Sorry, they are. College football feels revived this year. No dominant team, parity for the first time in a long time, and Sanders who love him or hate him, like I said, his team is fun to watch. They get 6 wins it is a big win. And I hate to tell you, the phone is ringing off the hook in Bolder with 5 star and transfers who want to play there. This is year 1, he will likely do at least 3 seasons in Boulder. It is only going to get better.
09-19-2023 02:53 PM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
In two years the Sanders boys will be gone and it will all be over.
09-19-2023 03:03 PM
Advertisement

NDSUguy Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NDSU
(09-19-2023 02:53 PM)jacksfan29! Wrote:  

Some, but they are fun to watch. Sorry, they are. College football feels revived this year. No dominant team, parity for the first time in a long time, and Sanders who love him or hate him, like I said, his team is fun to watch. They get 6 wins it is a big win. And I hate to tell you, the phone is ringing off the hook in Bolder with 5 star and transfers who want to play there. This is year 1, he will likely do at least 3 seasons in Boulder. It is only going to get better.

I can't disagree with you that their games (thus far) have been fun to watch. Lots of drama which the networks love. My point was that they are being hyped now but it is very possible that they only with 3 more games all year. That gets them to 6 wins which makes them bowl eligible but their resume will suck. Will the 5* recruits and transfers be calling Deion then? Once the shine is gone?
09-19-2023 03:10 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(09-19-2023 11:18 AM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  Why would he leave? With what he's bringing to the table, CU can afford to pay him as much as any P2 school would. Having said that, it's still early. Let's see how the team (and the ratings) hold up after playing 6 ranked Pac opponents over the next 9 weeks.

I agree with BruinNation that, "the 9.3 million viewers for a Pac 12 After Dark game versus Colorado State is absolutely insane, really is unbelievable." But they are going to struggle in Pac-12 play. Oregon is 4th in total offense in the nation. Colorado is ranked 122nd in total defense. They cannot run the ball. They are 127th in rushing yardage and 127th in yards per carry.

Colorado's strength has been their passing attack, ranked 2nd in the nation in yardage per game. But that is everybody in the Pac-12. UW has the top ranked passing attack in the nation, Washington State is 3rd, USC is 4th, and Oregon 5th in the nation. I think they are in for a very tough schedule in conference.

In Colorado's defense, it is difficult to rebuild in one season. They are not deep enough. What they have accomplished to this point has been amazing considering how bad they have been in the past decade. Autzen stadium in Eugene is a tough place to play. It will be interesting to see how they handle it.
09-19-2023 03:22 PM
SlyFox Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
Oh the irony of an Aggie fan asking why he would leave.

Considering the buzz in College Station right now of Prime being Jimbo's heir apparent if things don't turn around immediately, the idea that he would have a short stay in Boulder has plenty of validity.
09-19-2023 04:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

(09-19-2023 01:35 PM)gwelymernans Wrote:  

Think he'll be there at least two or three seasons, but if FSU came calling for his services I think he'd leave for that opportunity. If an NFL team calls him, all bets are off.

Yes, I think FSU is the one school he’d leave for.

He can’t out-talent teams in the NFL. In every college game he’s coached, including the 3 this year, he had much greater talent on his side of the ball. Let’s see how CU does against that brutal slate of Conference games this year, and what he does for the next couple of years as he manages and grows the program, before we start expecting him to attract NFL interest.
09-19-2023 04:43 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

(09-19-2023 02:35 PM)Lord2FLI Wrote:  Let's try it like this, would you call it the nB12 if Texas were still there? Probably not, that's how much Texas changes the dynamics, Colorado will almost certainly never be big enough that people look at the conference differently without them.

They are that big right now. 25m viewers in 3 games is peak Alabama or tOSU ratings. The question is if they will continue to be that big as the season progresses, and into future seasons. If they win I think they will, but they have one of the toughest remaining schedules in the country and they don’t have the depth to deal with many more injuries this season, so we’ll see. Next season, however…I would be very afraid if I was a Big 12 coach. Deion can at least get into the conversation with 5* studs who wouldn’t even consider any other Big XVI teams.
09-19-2023 04:49 PM
Advertisement

bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

(09-19-2023 04:02 PM)SlyFox Wrote:  Oh the irony of an Aggie fan asking why he would leave.

Considering the buzz in College Station right now of Prime being Jimbo's heir apparent if things don't turn around immediately, the idea that he would have a short stay in Boulder has plenty of validity.

There’s always an “heir apparent”. Our boosters pay a whole lot and expect a whole lot in return. Jumbo has had 6 years to produce, and only one of his 6 seasons was good. I’d be fine if we run him off and I’d be fine if he sticks around and wins a bunch of games, but I’m far from certain that the next guy would be an improvement. Maybe he could help us out and start phone-sexing with the local sexual abuse counselors…

That doesn’t mean that Deion is the answer. I like Deion a lot, and he can out talent his future Big 12 competition, but he’s not going to recruit any better than Jimbo did 2 years ago with the best class in history. Clearly, it takes more than talent when everybody has it and kids who ride the bench for 5 games can just transfer.

I think Deion realizes how good he has it in Colorado. He’ll use us to get himself a raise if we dump Jimbo, but I think that ultimately CU would pay him as much as we would. And he’d still leave either of us for FSU or the NFL.
09-19-2023 05:01 PM
SlyFox Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
Deion knows that if he is at A&M, he can outrecuit everyone in the country. Remember that his Texan ties are just as thick if not moreso than his Florida connections.

The big Aggie boosters are restless right now and he is the coach du jour. TexAgs and all the Aggie boards are going nuts over the possibility.
09-19-2023 05:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

(09-19-2023 05:06 PM)SlyFox Wrote:  Deion knows that if he is at A&M, he can outrecuit everyone in the country. Remember that his Texan ties are just as thick if not moreso than his Florida connections.

The big Aggie boosters are restless right now and he is the coach du jour. TexAgs and all the Aggie boards are going nuts over the possibility.

I wouldn't mind hiring Deion, don't get me wrong, but I don't think that he'd be the slam dunk that everyone else seems to think he'd be. I'd love to be proven wrong though, ofc. 04-cheers
09-19-2023 05:57 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(09-19-2023 05:57 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  I wouldn't mind hiring Deion, don't get me wrong, but I don't think that he'd be the slam dunk that everyone else seems to think he'd be. I'd love to be proven wrong though, ofc. 04-cheers

Deion leveraged his visibility at Jackson State and Colorado to elevate his sons to first round NFL draft picks. When they leave, what then?
09-19-2023 06:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.