Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

...could the BigXII re-visit the possibility of inviting OrSt and Wazzou?
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
...could the BigXII re-visit the possibility of inviting OrSt and Wazzou?
...no real links or anything, but did see a YouTube video about it...

With both programs in the top 25, and most likely available 'on the cheap' (although I believe the 'pro rata' deal is still in effect), and adding the fact that it would TRULY give the XII a PST window, seems like there would be some interest... even if the $$$ were roughly equivalent to whatever they could get as the PAC/MWC mashup, being in the XII would seem to be much more stable for them...

I know currently the "2PAC" is in legal wranglings with the PAC teams leaving, and there is a lot of $$$$ at stake... but the 'long term' play would seem to be the XII, you would think...

well, here's the YT deal - don't know this guy, and seems to be 'theory and conjecture', but hey, it's out there...

09-18-2023 09:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofMstateU Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
RE: ...could the BigXII re-visit the possibility of inviting OrSt and Wazzou?
It would be a hideously bad move on multiple fronts. One of the most important is future realignment losses to the B12.

1. The ACC currently has Stanford and Cal.
2. If the ACC suffers losses, they can reach out to Utah Az and Az St. (And maybe Colorado) to fill out a western division.
3. If the B12 loses those teams, it would be stuck with 2 NW teams in Or St and WashtST with no other teams nearby except BYU, which isnt really nearby.
09-18-2023 09:34 AM
PeteTheChop Online
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
(09-18-2023 09:23 AM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  ... could the BigXII re-visit the possibility of inviting OrSt and Wazzou?

1. Can't see the Big XII sitting on 16 when the B1G and SEC are moving towards 24.

2. It would put the kibosh on potential headaches for ESPN and FOX if Yappy gave both the Cougs and Beavs a landing spot

3. Everybody has reasons to work together here. If Yappy makes life simpler for the B1G-FOX and SEC-Disney (think safe haven for the ACC have nots), his schools are gonna be rewarded when the 2026+ CFP contract (and March Madness media rights deal in '33) are negotiated
09-18-2023 09:38 AM
PeteTheChop Online
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
(09-18-2023 09:34 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  It would be a hideously bad move on multiple fronts. One of the most important is future realignment losses to the B12.

2. If the ACC suffers losses, they can reach out to Utah Az and Az St. (And maybe Colorado) to fill out a western division.
3. If the B12 loses those teams, it would be stuck with 2 NW teams in Or St and WashtST with no other teams nearby except BYU, which isnt really nearby.

1. Stanford and Cal are going to the B1G with Notre Dame and Miami

2. The ACC will be sliced and diced into obsolescence -- just like the Pac-12

3. P2 + P1 Lite >>> P2 + M2. Big XII ascension = ACC expiration
09-18-2023 09:47 AM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
I think the idea behind this is to prevent the MWC from getting a leg up. The MWC will probably be in a position to take both these schools and Zaga at some point. They could conceivably produce two playoff teams in given years with a one loss non-conf champion. Plus, you can get them on the cheap.

I don't see the value with Wazzou, but it's a travel partner. SDSU is probably more appealing. Very tough decision if you are talking about 10-11 million for both. I don't think there is any real threat of teams leaving for the ACC. I'm not sure why folks are still harping on that. But it does consume spots for potential backfills. Either way, they will get to 20-24 schools at some point and have a seat at the table, if we go P3 (still a ways off).
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2023 09:53 AM by RUScarlets.)
09-18-2023 09:52 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
In a world where the Big XII added 2 PTZ schools at partial shares, SDSU would be one of the two for access to California. Oregon St is well-supported while Washington St is very remote, so unfortunately Wazzu is unlikely to ever have a path back.
09-18-2023 10:04 AM
Advertisement

Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Those 2 need to figure this out very soon. Unless they plan on playing each other 6 times next season, schedules have to be made, usually made years in advance. They are going to have to try putting a 12 game schedule together in less then a year, good luck.
09-18-2023 10:05 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
(09-18-2023 09:34 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  It would be a hideously bad move on multiple fronts. One of the most important is future realignment losses to the B12.

If the ACC suffers losses (and let's say it's only FSU and Clemson - I think it can be anywhere from 2-6 more), it won't have the financial value to poach from the Big 12. You don't lose your top two brands and only suffer a marginal TV payout loss.

Oregon State and Washington State will be there to take in 5-10-15 years. They aren't going anywhere. If the Big 12 is unsuccessful in possibly luring ACC programs like Louisville, Pittsburgh or Syracuse (after further defections occur), then it can always look west for other members. Additionally, Memphis, USF and Tulane are also easily addable.
09-18-2023 10:11 AM
kmdhoya Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Georgetown
The Big 12 could have some better options down the road. The two PAC leftovers will stay be available.
09-18-2023 10:14 AM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
At this point any of the P4 could revisit adding schools but it won't matter unless their media partners have money to make it happen - and they don't.
09-18-2023 10:19 AM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
Look at the lineup this weekend. UW and USC in the fourth window on ESPN/Fox respectively (Utah@OreSt next weekend). Those games will be B1G games in the future and probably won't be available for the fourth window. You need to replace those games. ESPN is lucky they had Prime and a great game last weekend. That was the only game I watched this weekend while snoozing.
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2023 10:37 AM by RUScarlets.)
09-18-2023 10:36 AM
Advertisement

Aztecgolfer Offline
1st String

I Root For: San Diego State
(09-18-2023 10:05 AM)Usajags Wrote:  Those 2 need to figure this out very soon. Unless they plan on playing each other 6 times next season, schedules have to be made, usually made years in advance. They are going to have to try putting a 12 game schedule together in less then a year, good luck.

They cannot do anything other than having discussions until after the next hearing.
09-18-2023 10:37 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
No, all those players and coaches are leaving as soon as the season is over.
09-18-2023 10:58 AM
UofMstateU Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(09-18-2023 10:11 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  

If the ACC suffers losses (and let's say it's only FSU and Clemson - I think it can be anywhere from 2-6 more), it won't have the financial value to poach from the Big 12. You don't lose your top two brands and only suffer a marginal TV payout loss.

Academics dont care about that. They would love to be in a better academic conference with Stanford and Cal.
09-18-2023 11:29 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
IF I were running the big 12, I would expand to 18 immediately with San Diego state and 1 from Oregon state, Memphis, Tulane and USF. You could make a good case for all of them but I like having 2 schools in Florida, so USF and SD st to get to 18. Although, adding SD state and Oregon state works great if somehow the big 12 and ACC would just merge and create a 36 team 4 division of 9 format + maybe Nike would do something for them. As for WSU, think it’s MWC time
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2023 11:36 AM by bluesox.)
09-18-2023 11:34 AM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
They already were approached by Oregon State and San Diego State. They declined, but politely. Basically, ESPN and FOX told the Big 12 they tapped out on funding further expansion. So, there isn't any money for it. It also shows their partnership is of necessity, nothing more, as OSU swapped out WSU for SDSU to try to move.

I think it also shows there is no money for a rebranded MWC as the Pac-12. ESPN, FOX, CBS and the CW are all done, and NBC, Apple and Amazon are not interested in G5 content. The project is dead here, as without media funding, and leftover money in the Pac-12 realistically only cover OSU and WSU for maybe two or three years, but that evaporates to nothing if they even partially fund any exit fees from other conferences. Their own litigation with the Pac-12 shows what would happen in the MWC but probably larger, as left behinds would sue for exit fees.

There is only one path open for OSU and WSU. They have to join the MWC. And there is probably a looming deadline by which date they have to do it. CBS and FOX have to set their 2024 CFB budgets, and any MWC expansion will require their additional dollars; my WAG, that deadline is the end of October.
09-18-2023 11:37 AM
Advertisement

Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
Add 17, 18, 19, 20 will be Pitt, Louisville, and two of the best available remaining, ideally VT, Miami, GT, and/or NC State.

If 24 is needed, I imagine the landscape will look very different, but that bridge can be crossed if it happens, but there are a lot of teams ahead of WSU/OSU
09-18-2023 11:44 AM
andybible1995 Online
All American

I Root For: TN, MTSU, MD
(09-18-2023 11:44 AM)Kruciff Wrote:  Add 17, 18, 19, 20 will be Pitt, Louisville, and two of the best available remaining, ideally VT, Miami, GT, and/or NC State.

If 24 is needed, I imagine the landscape will look very different, but that bridge can be crossed if it happens, but there are a lot of teams ahead of WSU/OSU

If I were the Big XII, I'd be looking at getting Georgia Tech, Louisville, Pittsburgh and Syracuse. The BIG will get California, Duke, Miami (FL), North Carolina, Stanford and Virginia while the SEC will get Clemson, Florida State, NC State and Virginia Tech.
09-18-2023 02:19 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(09-18-2023 09:47 AM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  

1. Stanford and Cal are going to the B1G with Notre Dame and Miami

2. The ACC will be sliced and diced into obsolescence -- just like the Pac-12

3. P2 + P1 Lite >>> P2 + M2. Big XII ascension = ACC expiration

[Image: 51c08ce9b01f4.jpeg]
09-18-2023 02:23 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
This rumor originated with Greg Swaim.

Nothing to see here...
09-18-2023 02:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.