Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who are Next Schools Added to Big 12 and ACC?
Boots Offline
2nd String

I Root For: *Memphis
Who are Next Schools Added to Big 12 and ACC?
I think this is an interesting forecast and discussion.

Most expect the next domino to be the ACC losing 4-6 teams. I was told recently by a college administrator we are headed to a P4 of 20 teams each.

So let's assume the SEC adds 4 (say for example FSU, Clemson, North Carolina State, Virginia) and the Big 10 adds 2 (for example North Carolina and Miami).

The ACC is now at 11 schools left with Stanford, Cal, SMU, Pitt, Wake, GT, Duke, Louisville, Syracuse, Boston College, Virginia Tech.

Then what?

Does the Big 12 grow from 16 to 20? With who?

Does the ACC (now at 11) grow to 16, 18, or 20? With who?

Can the Big 12 poach teams from the ACC?

Could by chance the ACC poach any Big 12 teams?
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2023 01:15 PM by Boots.)
09-12-2023 01:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
RE: Who are Next Schools Added to Big 12 and ACC?
B12 adds Louisville, Pitt, VT, Duke
ACC adds Tulane, Memphis, Temple, UAB, UTSA, Rice, USF, FAU, UConn
09-12-2023 01:13 PM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
The PAC12 had a narrow path to survival because it never had the viewership of the SEC and B1G. Going solo with the P12N was a high risk/reward proposition.

If the independent P12N had gained wide distribution, the PAC would have realized disproportionately higher revenue than the other conference networks keeping the PAC financially close enough to the B1G and SEC to keep the conference intact.

The entire proposition was based on if PAC fans would be willing to switch providers in order to provide leverage for the P12N in negotiation with carriers. This was never sufficiently communicated to PAC fans who thought that waiting out their carrier and bitching was going to work. Changing carriers had to happen by week 4 of the first season, and this urgency was never appropriately conveyed.
09-12-2023 01:24 PM
Boots Offline
2nd String

I Root For: *Memphis
It all comes down to .... can the Big 12 poach from ACC?

If yes....

Big 12: Louisville, Virginia Tech, Pitt, Georgia Tech.
ACC now at 7 adds: UConn, USF, Tulane, Memphis, CSU, SDSU, Oregon State, Wash. State, ECU, Best of Rest, etc.

If no....

Big 12: Oregon State, Wash. State, SDSU, Memphis
ACC now at 11 adds: Tulane, UConn, USF, Rice, CSU, etc.
09-12-2023 01:36 PM
Skyhawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Big10
(09-12-2023 01:05 PM)Boots Wrote:  I think this is an interesting forecast and discussion.

Most expect the next domino to be the ACC losing 4-6 teams. I was told recently by a college administrator we are headed to a P4 of 20 teams each.

So let's assume the SEC adds 4 (say for example FSU, Clemson, North Carolina State, Virginia) and the Big 10 adds 2 (for example North Carolina and Miami).

The ACC is now at 11 schools left with Stanford, Cal, SMU, Pitt, Wake, GT, Duke, Louisville, Syracuse, Boston College, Virginia Tech.

Then what?

I think NC goes to the SEC and VA to the Big10, but that's probably not material to your question.

So to answer though, I have 2 different responses:

What I think should happen.

What I think is likely to happen.

Should: The Big12 and ACC do a selective merge, before the P2 continues to poach them.

This'll help maximize the media deal for the haves. And to wave goodbye to the havenots.

Needless to say, the ones getting left behind are likely not going to be in favor of this...

Likely: A mess.

And add in whatever is going to happen with the PAC/MWC (and some ACC), this could turn really messy.

And honestly, the P2 will then likely take advantage of the disruption to go to 24 or more, each.
09-12-2023 02:10 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(09-12-2023 01:05 PM)Boots Wrote:  I think this is an interesting forecast and discussion.

Then what?

Big 12: Louisville and VT
ACC: Memphis and Tulane
09-12-2023 02:14 PM
Advertisement

clpp01 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Arizona
If/when we get to the point where ESPN is wiling to shift select ACC brands into the SEC I suspect they would work with/use the B12 on a semi-merger with the leftover ACC schools.

Bring in: Duke, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse & Virginia Tech. Offer Cal & Stanford if they say no they you stick at 22
09-12-2023 02:57 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M

Then what?

Any “what if” thread that’s starts with “the SEC adds NC State” is in trouble from the get go. WE. DONT. WANT. NC STATE.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2023 03:22 PM by bryanw1995.)
09-12-2023 03:22 PM
PlayBall! Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kansas & Big XII
(09-12-2023 03:22 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  Any “what if” thread that’s starts with “the SEC adds NC State” is in trouble from the get go. WE. DONT. WANT. NC STATE.

Start saving up to throw money at UNC, then. B1G already has. 03-idea
09-12-2023 03:30 PM
tigergatorcyclone Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Florida, Iowa State, Mem
(09-12-2023 03:22 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  

Then what?

Any “what if” thread that’s starts with “the SEC adds NC State” is in trouble from the get go. WE. DONT. WANT. NC STATE.

Everyone who assumes there will be big conferences for the sake of big conferences forgets that each school will work to maximize their profits. That said, the name of the game is brands moving forward:

B1G:
- Virginia, UNC, Maryland, Rutgers
- Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State
- Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern
- Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin
- USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington

SEC:
- Clemson, USC, Virginia Tech, Duke
- Georgia, Florida, FSU, Miami
- Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
- Missouri, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State
- Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M

XII:
- Utah, BYU, Arizona, Arizona State
- Colorado, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State
- Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor
- Houston, UCF, WVU, Cincinnati

ACC:
- NC State, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, USF
- Louisville, Memphis, Tulane, SMU
- Pitt, Syracuse, Boston College, Navy

REST:
09-12-2023 03:36 PM
TheMackAttack Offline
2nd String

I Root For: App State
Outside of Clemson, Florida State, North Carolina, Virginia, Notre Dame, and Miami, I'm not sure anybody else is compelling to the SEC or B1G. If those six leave, I expect Stanford, Duke, and the other academically minded schools will take over the ACC and block certain expansion targets, Memphis for example, based on academics. I think that pushes Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, Louisville, and NC State to the Big 12. The remaining eight schools would look to add Tulane, Rice, and South Florida with UConn as #12 if they are interested, Temple if they aren't.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2023 03:38 PM by TheMackAttack.)
09-12-2023 03:36 PM
Advertisement

BePcr07 Online
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
If the either conference adds, their first look would be from the other conference. If the window is ever shut on schools from the other conference and if that conference feels obligated to grow, my list for schools that might get a look would be (in alphabetical order): Connecticut, Memphis, Oregon St, San Diego St, South Florida, Temple, Tulane, Washington St.

For fun, let's say each conference keeps all current members and 20 is the goal for each. Let's assume Connecticut remains in the Big East.
ACC (17/18) + San Diego St, South Florida, Tulane
XII (16) + Memphis, Oregon St, Temple, Washington St

Football Divisions/Pods
(Yes, I know. They will be divisionless.)

ACC
Atlantic: Clemson, Florida St, North Carolina St, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest
Coastal: Duke, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, South Florida, Virginia
Eastern: Boston College, Louisville, Miami, Pittsburgh, Syracuse
Metro: California, San Diego St, SMU, Stanford, Tulane

XII
East: Central Florida, Cincinnati, Memphis, Temple, West Virginia
North: BYU, Colorado, Iowa St, Kansas, Kansas St
South: Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma St, TCU, Texas Tech
West: Arizona, Arizona St, Oregon St, Utah, Washington St
09-12-2023 03:42 PM
HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
This is a good question because both conferences are coast to coast.

There are still schools with some value for these two conferences (although maybe not until they lose schools to the P2)

UConn (ACC or Big 12)
USF (ACC if FSU and Miami both leave)
Memphis (Big 12)
Tulane (ACC or Big 12)
San Diego State (Big 12)
UNLV (Big 12)

That being said, I have no idea of what the ACC plan's are. They made such a leap in geography that seems to have no long range plan. Do they want to keep growing with schools like Rice? I dont think they know what they want at this point.
09-12-2023 03:59 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(09-12-2023 02:14 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  

Then what?

I expect if more than 4 go to BIG/SEC FSU and UM would be in the bunch gone.
USF/Tulane more likely than Memphis Tulane. No way the ACC doesn't want a footprint in FL. USF fills all the boxes other than wins.
09-12-2023 04:05 PM
Sicembear11 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Baylor
(09-12-2023 04:05 PM)goodknightfl Wrote:  

Then what?

USF/Tulane more likely than Memphis Tulane. No way the ACC doesn't want a footprint in FL. USF fills all the boxes other than wins.

With SMU in the fold, Tulane and Memphis work better. But I agree that USF could get priority due to FL needs for the ACC network.

I'm curious if they don't take a run at some of the 4C schools. They have Cal/Stanford. If those teams DON'T go to the B1G. Would the 4C Big 12 schools consider moving?
09-12-2023 04:38 PM
Sellular1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
(09-12-2023 04:05 PM)goodknightfl Wrote:  

Then what?

We won last week…. 04-chairshot
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2023 04:39 PM by Sellular1.)
09-12-2023 04:39 PM
Advertisement

random asian guy Offline
All American

I Root For: VT, Georgetown

Then what?

As a VT fan, I have zero interest at the B12. Even if the ACC loses five schools or so, the ACC would be a better conference for VT.

But think about the following:

1. The ACC will make more money than the B12, about $5 - $10 million per school per year, for 2025-2030.
2. I am not very bullish about the B12’s next media deal. Given the current media environment, the future of a M tier conference is not very bright.
3. The ACC may lose a school or two within the next six years. It’s extremely unlikely that more than two schools would challenge the GoR in my opinion. Too much risk for a not very winnable case.
4. Even if one or two schools leave the ACC, ESPN is contractually obligated to pay the ACC through 2036. In other words, the ACC will continue to make more money than the B12 through 2036 unless the B12 hits a home run with the next media deal.
5. If the ACC loses a school or two around 2038, the ACC will target the B12 schools to backfill and expand. Mostly like 4C schools. But WVU is also a possibility.

The bottom line: unless the B12’s next media deal is better than the ACC’s current deal, I don’t think the B12 will be able to raid the ACC. If their next media deal is ordinary (and I predict that’s that case), expect the ACC
will go after the B12 schools around 2028-2030.
09-12-2023 07:49 PM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
(09-12-2023 07:49 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  

Then what?

As a VT fan, I have zero interest at the B12. Even if the ACC loses five schools or so, the ACC would be a better conference for VT.

1. The ACC will make more money than the B12, about $5 - $10 million per school per year, for 2025-2030.
2. I am not very bullish about the B12’s next media deal. Given the current media environment, the future of a M tier conference is not very bright.
3. The ACC may lose a school or two within the next six years. It’s extremely unlikely that more than two schools would challenge the GoR in my opinion. Too much risk for a not very winnable case.
4. Even if one or two schools leave the ACC, ESPN is contractually obligated to pay the ACC through 2036. In other words, the ACC will continue to make more money than the B12 through 2036 unless the B12 hits a home run with the next media deal.
5. If the ACC loses a school or two around 2038, the ACC will target the B12 schools to backfill and expand. Mostly like 4C schools. But WVU is also a possibility.

The bottom line: unless the B12’s next media deal is better than the ACC’s current deal, I don’t think the B12 will be able to raid the ACC. If their next media deal is ordinary (and I predict that’s that case), expect the ACC

This is a lot of words to just say you want VT to milk UNC, Duke, Clemson, and FSU as long as possible.

The Big 12 deal likely won't be much less than the ACC deal.
09-12-2023 08:11 PM
otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida

Then what?

If it's "ordinary" so to speak, I don't think the distance between ACC and Big 12 is great enough to warrant paying the Big 12 exit fees. However, with inflation etc going the way it is, in 2030, "ordinary" may still be higher than the ACC.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2023 08:20 PM by otown.)
09-12-2023 08:19 PM
random asian guy Offline
All American

I Root For: VT, Georgetown
(09-12-2023 08:11 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  

Then what?

This is a lot of words to just say you want VT to milk UNC, Duke, Clemson, and FSU as long as possible.

The Big 12 deal likely won't be much less than the ACC deal.

VT to milk Duke? 01-wingedeagle

Just to be clear, VT football is down. But its attendance number is better than everyone in the ACC except for Clemson and FSU and better than every single school in the B12/16.
09-12-2023 09:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread:

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.