Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Liberty would you…
Bookmark and Share
Kyle-from-LaGrange Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: East Carolina
Liberty would you…
Do not take this in a negative way anybody, so I’m sure somebody will and I understand. But serious question. With the money Liberty has do you think your administration would ever propose a deal like SMU did with the ACC with the American? And yes, I know the American isn’t the ACC..
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2023 10:59 PM by Kyle-from-LaGrange.)
09-04-2023 09:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
RE: Liberty would you…
That’s a good question. I would hope we would never be asked to.
09-05-2023 01:01 AM
YesCubanB Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NMSU
I heard at Liberty you only pay for what you need.
09-05-2023 06:36 AM
JJOHN368 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Kennesaw State/ Liberty
(09-05-2023 01:01 AM)army56mike Wrote:  That’s a good question. I would hope we would never be asked to.

Yeah I hope we never are as well. I hope we would never think about doing that either. It would make us look pretty desperate to get into a P5, when I believe that we have a pretty good thing going with CUSA.
09-05-2023 06:41 AM
SlyFox Online
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
The answer to the question is yes. Economically it makes a ton of sense and would put us in a more geographically beneficial league.

Is this likely? Probably not. Is it possible? Absolutely.

Let the record show that there have been some significant administrative changes in Lynchburg in recent months.
09-05-2023 08:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LUOrange Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: LU & Syracuse
I think the situation will obviously dictate for Liberty. As things stand today, I'll guess not. I think they would for the ACC if they felt they had a realistic shot at acceptance like SMU did. But also, IMO, I don't think that our new President and McCaw will be as aggressive as Jerry Falwell Jr. was. I think they will stick with the more diplomatic approach they've had since Jr. left going forward.
09-05-2023 08:13 AM
Advertisement

Keswick_Crusaders_Forever51 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty, UF
For a Power conference, yes, but not for the American. I could see leadership being willing to jump through some hoops for that conference, but not giving up all that money, especially on top of having to buy our way out of the GOR, if that were ever a possibility.
09-05-2023 11:45 AM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
Personally, I don't think it would benefit Liberty at all to do that with the Ack, Ack, but definitely it would be doubly beneficial to leave Cusa for a Cartel conference. Money and viewership and prestige would be the key factors.
09-05-2023 12:10 PM
SlyFox Online
1st String

UTEP & NMSU fans should be the most understanding of a school on an island wanting to be aligned with schools that are within driving distance. We would go from zero to three instantly. Just explaining why even a deplted AAC would be attractive to Liberty.
09-05-2023 12:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cardiff Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall + Liberty
(09-04-2023 09:59 PM)Kyle-from-LaGrange Wrote:  Do not take this in a negative way anybody, so I’m sure somebody will and I understand. But serious question. With the money Liberty has do you think your administration would ever propose a deal like SMU did with the ACC with the American? And yes, I know the American isn’t the ACC..
No offense taken.

I don’t think Liberty would accept that kind of a deal from a G5 league, unless the alternative was going back to being Independent.
09-05-2023 01:49 PM
cruzan_flame13 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: LIBERTY
(09-05-2023 08:11 AM)SlyFox Wrote:  The answer to the question is yes. Economically it makes a ton of sense and would put us in a more geographically beneficial league.

Is this likely? Probably not. Is it possible? Absolutely.

Let the record show that there have been some significant administrative changes in Lynchburg in recent months.

A major master plan for everything , ie academic, athletic, campus and community expansion should be set by December-January. Pres. Costin definitely made sure of this. So no, I don't think they'd do what SMU did for the AAC. They are not what they were even with the decent to deal for a G5 conference. It's not worth it in the long run in my opinion.
09-05-2023 07:56 PM
Advertisement

jones682 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kennesaw State
(09-04-2023 09:59 PM)Kyle-from-LaGrange Wrote:  Do not take this in a negative way anybody, so I’m sure somebody will and I understand. But serious question. With the money Liberty has do you think your administration would ever propose a deal like SMU did with the ACC with the American? And yes, I know the American isn’t the ACC..

If Georgia State and/or Texas State joins the American, I would not want to join. The AAC would be down graded and the SBC will be better than the AAC. If I was UL, I would stay in CUSA or try to join the SBC at that point. The AAC is not the same now let alone if Georgia State or Texas State join. The AAC TV contract would be 2M if that happened.
09-05-2023 08:21 PM
justjim Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Liberty & Pitt
This Liberty fan is happy in CUSA. I hope the AAC gets Army and realignment settles down.

I guess if the ACC offered LU a SMU deal, LU would take it...but I just don't see that being reality right now or any time in the near future.
09-05-2023 09:26 PM
KATatonic Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Sam Houston Bearkats
(09-05-2023 08:21 PM)jones682 Wrote:  

If Georgia State and/or Texas State joins the American, I would not want to join. The AAC would be down graded and the SBC will be better than the AAC. If I was UL, I would stay in CUSA or try to join the SBC at that point. The AAC is not the same now let alone if Georgia State or Texas State join. The AAC TV contract would be 2M if that happened.

Did you see what Texas State did to Baylor in Waco? That school, with their location and large enrollment, is a sleeping giant. They just need some vision and leadership at the top.
09-06-2023 05:35 AM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
I like your swinging Bearkats sign.04-cheers It’s cool!

Makes me wish we used our Sparky logo more.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2023 07:39 AM by army56mike.)
09-06-2023 07:38 AM
SlyFox Online
1st String

Kinne is an amazing coach based on what we have recently seen. And I agree that Texas State has the potential to be perhaps the strongest G5 player in the Lone Star State.

As for Liberty, the numbers for both exiting CUSA and foregoing AAC payments are relatively small. That's why I suggested that it makes economic sense. We also are one of only a handful of schools with the resources to be competitive against existing AAC programs moving forward.

As for Liberty and the SBC, that ship has sailed. The schools in the Belt want nothing to do with us for multiple reasons not the least of which is our spending power as a private school. Liberty will not be entering the Belt unless the entire Non-P2 world comes crashing down.
09-06-2023 07:47 AM
Advertisement

XYZ Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Various
(09-06-2023 05:35 AM)KATatonic Wrote:  
(09-05-2023 08:21 PM)jones682 Wrote:  

Did you see what Texas State did to Baylor in Waco? That school, with their location and large enrollment, is a sleeping giant. They just need some vision and leadership at the top.

Let’s wait for at least the season to play out before reacting to that game. They may have turned the corner, we don’t know yet. Texas State has mostly struggled since they’ve moved to FBS. Also, pretty much every G5 program has had a P5 win or two every once in a while.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2023 08:25 AM by XYZ.)
09-06-2023 08:22 AM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
Why was this moved to an important thread? It should be moved to the realignment sub board.
09-06-2023 10:10 AM
ODU1986 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Old Dominion
Liberty would you…
I would welcome both Liberty and East Carolina to the Sun Belt. Hopefully, at some point, wiser minds will prevail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
09-07-2023 09:03 PM
JackedUp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jacksonville State
Yeah this needs to be moved to the realignment board.
09-08-2023 10:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.