Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Possible Massive Effects Of Industry Events On FedEx
Bookmark and Share
Stammers Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
Possible Massive Effects Of Industry Events On FedEx
It looks like UPS might go on strike, and it looks like YRC might go bankrupt. The long term effect could be crippling to supply chains and the economy. The cost to the economy could be in the tens of billions, and even a two week strike by UPS, could tie up supply chains for months on end.

The potential to pick up new business could be massive for FedEx.
07-20-2023 11:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AlonsoWDC Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Possible Massive Effects Of Industry Events On FedEx
And to think, all of this headache can easily be averted by paying workers what they deserve.
07-20-2023 11:49 AM
aardWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
“Unfortunately, the real minimum wage is always zero, regardless of the laws, and that is the wage that many workers receive in the wake of the creation or escalation of a government-mandated minimum wage, because they lose their jobs or fail to find jobs when they enter the labor force. Making it illegal to pay less than a given amount does not make a worker’s productivity worth that amount—and, if it is not, that worker is unlikely to be employed.”

― Thomas Sowell, Basic Economics: A Citizen's Guide to the Economy
07-20-2023 12:05 PM
micman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis/GT
How much is UPS paying for NIL?
07-20-2023 12:10 PM
micman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis/GT
(07-20-2023 12:10 PM)micman Wrote:  How much is UPS paying for NIL?

Maybe Louisville basketball will go on strike (I guess they already did that last year).
07-20-2023 12:11 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(07-20-2023 11:49 AM)AlonsoWDC Wrote:  And to think, all of this headache can easily be averted by paying workers what they deserve.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but do you really think that UPS workers make less than the national average in wages, and have a pension and health plan that is less than the national average?

YRC is another story. They have defaulted on pension payments of $50 million and just had $1.5 billion of their debt refinanced.
07-20-2023 12:48 PM
Advertisement

dcg141 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Leaving the AAC
FedEx recently gutted Express Ground OPS. Replacing it with Ground. They let go of Express drivers and mangers and all Express will be absorbed into Ground. Those are contract workers. They don't get paid by FedEx. The Express drivers were FedEx employee's and paid at the same rate as UPS drivers with pensions and benefits. I was in Express for about 15 years as a driver and made really good money for the time. Still have friends and family working there. Buddy of mine sent me the memo last month about Express. Its now about 20% of total revenue so even if that decision blows up in their face it won't come back to haunt them. They still don't have the capacity to absorb all that UPS volume but way more business will swing their way no doubt.
07-20-2023 01:42 PM
Keeper Offline
All American

(07-20-2023 01:48 PM)bluebacker Wrote:  
(07-20-2023 11:49 AM)AlonsoWDC Wrote:  And to think, all of this headache can easily be averted by paying workers what they deserve.

You don't now and never have owned a business have you? Wages are just the beginning of what it costs to employ someone.

Yep. What does that have to do with salary? If you can't afford to pay a living wage you should not be in business.
07-20-2023 03:24 PM
aardWolf Offline
Heisman

(07-20-2023 03:24 PM)Keeper Wrote:  

You don't now and never have owned a business have you? Wages are just the beginning of what it costs to employ someone.

Yep. What does that have to do with salary? If you can't afford to pay a living wage you should not be in business.

Living wage is a buzz word that changes meaning depending on whatever political spin you want to put on it. What is a living wage? Enough for a person to live off of? Does "living" include an iPhone, Cable, Internet, and a mortgage? Does "living" include paying for four household members? What about people that work part time? Should they be paid enough to "live" off of even if they work 5 hours a week?
07-20-2023 03:30 PM
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

It's illegal to pay many workers what they deserve. The 13th amendment won't allow you to pay a lot of workers what they deserve to be paid for their work ethic.
07-20-2023 03:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

Amen.

Many companies have a single worker that does 90% of the work and makes less than $2 an hour.

Called the owner.
07-20-2023 04:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

(07-20-2023 12:48 PM)Stammers Wrote:  

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but do you really think that UPS workers make less than the national average in wages, and have a pension and health plan that is less than the national average?

YRC is another story. They have defaulted on pension payments of $50 million and just had $1.5 billion of their debt refinanced.

Nationality the average UPS driver salary is $56,000.
07-20-2023 04:12 PM
2021 Tiger Football!! Offline
Special Teams

Bingo
07-20-2023 05:43 PM
DallasTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

Actually there is another option which I have always employed and it was much better than going on strike. I found a better job that paid a lot more. Worked every time.
07-20-2023 05:51 PM
Crazier Offline
All American

They protesting to get ac in the delivery trucks in 2023 as well. Crazy to think about.
07-20-2023 06:30 PM
TigersRuleAll Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Did you wear your mask while typing that?
07-20-2023 07:30 PM
Advertisement

plaidtiger Offline
1st String

Folding@NCAAbbs

Full time UPS drivers make around 90k per year. Part time drivers maybe half that.
07-20-2023 08:45 PM
Memphis Yankee Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-20-2023 08:45 PM)plaidtiger Wrote:  

Full time UPS drivers make around 90k per year. Part time drivers maybe half that.
As a courier for Federal Express we had 12 drivers in the entire Chicago area. I became the 13th in 1973. My stepfather a Memphis grad was a CPA for Federal Express. He was on Getwell the original FedEx.

Me and another guy had to unload a French falcon leer jet every morning at 4:00 am at O'hare. I was the 13th guy. I had to take all the out of the way stops for the other guys from Waukegan to Whiting Indiana. Most of my stops were in downtown Chicago. The ones that took too much time for the guys working the loop. Nobody wanted to deal with the Merchandise Mart. It was a nightmare.

They called me the 'Rat Man', because I always got the white lab rats that had to go to the Illinois Institue of Technology. They smelled horrible in the summer. We had no AC.

Anyway, I made 5.65 an hour. Time and a half overtime. I was the richest 18 year old I knew. Bought a killer sound system that summer. lol

My stepfather paid my way to come to Memphis. It was a great experience.

This is a picture of the plane I used to unload. A Panel van and a 16 ft straight truck got everything for the entire city of Chicago.

[Image: deliveryService?id=NASM-SI-2004-18884&max=900]
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2023 09:27 PM by Memphis Yankee.)
07-20-2023 09:23 PM
jsw3ent Online
Heisman

I Root For: memphis
(07-20-2023 09:23 PM)Memphis Yankee Wrote:  

As a courier for Federal Express we had 12 drivers in the entire Chicago area. I became the 13th in 1973. My stepfather a Memphis grad was a CPA for Federal Express. He was on Getwell the original FedEx.

Me and another guy had to unload a French falcon leer jet every morning at 4:00 am at O'hare. I was the 13th guy. I had to take all the out of the way stops for the other guys from Waukegan to Whiting Indiana. Most of my stops were in downtown Chicago. The ones that took too much time for the guys working the loop. Nobody wanted to deal with the Merchandise Mart. It was a nightmare.

They called me the 'Rat Man', because I always got the white lab rats that had to go to the Illinois Institue of Technology. They smelled horrible in the summer. We had no AC.

Anyway, I made 5.65 an hour. Time and a half overtime. I was the richest 18 year old I knew. Bought a killer sound system that summer. lol

This is a picture of the plane I used to unload. A Panel van and a 16 ft straight truck got everything for the entire city of Chicago.

Cool story
07-20-2023 09:45 PM
Memphis Yankee Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-20-2023 09:45 PM)jsw3ent Wrote:  
(07-20-2023 09:23 PM)Memphis Yankee Wrote:  

Cool story

The pilot and the co-pilot used to help us unload the plane. It was the infancy of FedEx. What an experience for an 18 yr old kid. 13 drivers for the entire city of Chicago. Mind altering for me. I got to hang out with the pioneers.
07-20-2023 10:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.