Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Interesting quote from Jon Wilner, out of California
Bookmark and Share
DawgNBama Online
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Scroll down to the last question where the guy asks Wilner about European style promo/relegate at the end. SBC schools might be wise to save a good portion of that expanded CFP money, IMO:

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat...9bc72.html

Quote:Arizona Daily Star
PRESENTED BY

EDITOR'S PICK
PAC-12 HOTLINE
Pac-12 Mailbag: Chips for the future, SMU’s value, Colorado replacement options and more
Jon Wilner Jul 17, 2023 Updated 5 hrs ago
Facebook
Twitter
WhatsApp
SMS
EmailCopy article link

Editor’s note: Some questions have been edited for clarity and

Would college athletics be better if we just went to a system of conference promotion/relegation like European soccer? — @17Readymade

Wilner: I’m not convinced it would be better, but it’s a distinct possibility 15 or 20 years from now.

As we have noted periodically over the months, two forces will shape major college sports into the 2030s:

The expanded playoff, which will have a monumental competitive impact from coast to coast (far greater than the creation of the four-team event).

An inevitable (in our view) change to the NCAA economic model that creates a revenue-sharing agreement between the schools and players.

At some point, the rate of increase in dollars available from the CFP will slow; meanwhile, expenses will rise dramatically. That conflicting reality will force schools to seek other ways to squeeze revenue from their media partners.

If the networks dangle enough dollars, the sport assuredly will adopt a European soccer format.

Contact Jon Wilner at pac12hotline@bayareanewsgroup.com. On Twitter: @wilnerhotline
Around The Web
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2023 11:45 PM by DawgNBama.)
07-17-2023 11:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

hburg Offline

I Root For: James Madison
Interesting times.

I can see this happening from the cost to the potential European style conferences, etc..

At what point does the dam break?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
07-18-2023 07:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
RE: Interesting quote from Jon Wilner, out of California
I could see how a conference might *unofficially* break itself up into Tier 1 and Tier 2 (and depending on size Tier 3) for interconference scheduling. This could be done to ensure as many high profile games as possible to boost strength of schedule to help get as many of the at-large bids as you can. Most years there will effectively be 5 at-large bids because Notre Dame as long as they win 9-10 games will most always get in.

Truth be told even European clubs are trying to escape promotion and relegation and turn to the closed systems of the U.S. That was the whole issue with the European Super League. 12 teams that would take place every season regardless of domestic league finish.
07-18-2023 10:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.