ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CollegeAD: Old Dominion quietly gave AD Wood Selig a new contract last December
ODUwildman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SCSU
CollegeAD: Old Dominion quietly gave AD Wood Selig a new contract last December
From D1Ticker

CollegeAD reports Old Dominion AD Selig had his contract extended through early June of 2028 with increased yearly base pay to $385K & supplemental comp of $165K annually. Competitive, academic & compliance bonus opportunities range from $10K to $25K per occurrence. ODU can dismiss Selig without cause by providing a one-year notice, which would include Selig being owed all base salary over the term. If Selig chooses to exit for another DI big chair, he must give 30 days, plus scheduled home & home contests for football (within six years), men’s basketball & women’s basketball (both within two years).

https://collegead.com/newsfeed/
07-16-2023 12:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bench jockey Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
RE: CollegeAD: Old Dominion quietly gave AD Wood Selig a new contract last December
So many questions:
Why would the university keep this news quiet? Did Selig order his PR department not to put out a release?
There WAS a time when the Pilot would have reported that. How many other things have been glossed over because no one is paying attention?
What's the university's criteria for keeping an AD in his job? Is it just raising money?
Why are people at ODU afraid to make a change?
We'll never know the answer because ODU athletics hasn't made enough of an impact in the past few years for anyone to care.
And that's linked directly to the AD
07-16-2023 01:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

RE: CollegeAD: Old Dominion quietly gave AD Wood Selig a new contract last December
I'm hoping one day in the near future we reward our Athletic Dept (coaches & admin) because of their success, not their mediocrity.
07-16-2023 01:32 PM
bluelight Offline
1st String

Here we have football and basketball trend go to a very low performance for the past 10 or 12 years and Wood gets a big pay raise. I have lost complete confidence in sports, for President Hemphill
07-16-2023 02:01 PM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

As the years go by our society is moving more and more towards rewarding mediocrity at the expense of rewarding accomplishments. It started with the onset of everybody participating in sports getting a trophy, and not allowing anyone to get an "F" in school (some schools).

This just fits in with the whole kumbaya mentality of today. The Football, Men's Basketball, and Women's Basketball teams at ODU - and their success - have all performed worse the past several seasons over what levels they achieved not that long ago. Who is being held accountable for that? Apparently, at ODU it is always a lowly assistant coach's fault.
07-16-2023 02:44 PM
Big4Blue Offline
Water Engineer

(07-16-2023 02:44 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  As the years go by our society is moving more and more towards rewarding mediocrity at the expense of rewarding accomplishments. It started with the onset of everybody participating in sports getting a trophy, and not allowing anyone to get an "F" in school (some schools).

This just fits in with the whole kumbaya mentality of today. The Football, Men's Basketball, and Women's Basketball teams at ODU - and their success - have all performed worse the past several seasons over what levels they achieved not that long ago. Who is being held accountable for that? Apparently, at ODU it is always a lowly assistant coach's fault.

GET OFF MY LAWN!
07-16-2023 03:23 PM
Advertisement

monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

Outrageous.
07-16-2023 04:33 PM
ODU2017 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion University
“Waaah waaaaah we aren’t made of money. How do these greedy players expect our athletic department to remain solvent if they don’t play for f-free????”

Remember this line when the player compensation debate reappears. Where will the money come from to pay players? Look right here at our director of “amateur” athletics and his 99th percentile income. That’s a good source right there.
07-16-2023 04:44 PM
VB Monarch Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
(07-16-2023 01:23 PM)bench jockey Wrote:  So many questions:
Why would the university keep this news quiet? Did Selig order his PR department not to put out a release?
There WAS a time when the Pilot would have reported that. How many other things have been glossed over because no one is paying attention?
What's the university's criteria for keeping an AD in his job? Is it just raising money?
Why are people at ODU afraid to make a change?
We'll never know the answer because ODU athletics hasn't made enough of an impact in the past few years for anyone to care.
And that's linked directly to the AD

Their penchant for secretiveness is not at all reassuring. In my mind it contributes to an us against them feeling. Minium must have been muzzled.
07-16-2023 05:55 PM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

With the recent results under his leadership, I would hope that the new contract includes a significant paycut but I doubt it. Western Kentucky is probably shaking their heads in disbelief.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2023 08:57 PM by ODUBB35.)
07-16-2023 08:56 PM
ODUODUODU Offline
1st String

Just my worthless, uninformed, small time contributor opinion:

On Field Success = D
Fund Raising = B
Meeting the Budget = A
Realignment Vision & Strategy = A
07-17-2023 06:41 AM
Advertisement

Chillie Willie Offline
All American

(07-17-2023 06:41 AM)ODUODUODU Wrote:  Just my worthless, uninformed, small time contributor opinion:

On Field Success = D
Fund Raising = B
Meeting the Budget = A
Right. So which are the ones the fans care about and which are the ones the school cares about?
07-17-2023 06:49 AM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

(07-17-2023 06:41 AM)ODUODUODU Wrote:  Just my worthless, uninformed, small time contributor opinion:

On Field Success = D
Fund Raising = B
Meeting the Budget = A

By cutting a sport. One of the few successful ones. I give him a F on this one.
07-17-2023 07:03 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

On Field Success = D
Fund Raising = B
Meeting the Budget = A

I’d agree with this assessment. Problem is, the most important item is the one he sucks at. None of the others matter if it doesn’t result in wins.
07-17-2023 07:53 AM
ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

(07-17-2023 07:53 AM)monarx Wrote:  

On Field Success = D
Fund Raising = B
Meeting the Budget = A

I’d agree with this assessment. Problem is, the most important item is the one he sucks at. None of the others matter if it doesn’t result in wins.

From a University perspective, the on field success is arguably the least important.
07-17-2023 10:40 AM
Stat Geek Offline
Heisman

You guys still act surprised when a coach or ADs contract is extended and their isn't an announcement?
07-17-2023 10:49 AM
Advertisement

bench jockey Offline
1st String

I'm still surprised when someone who acts like a know-it-all doesn't know the difference between "there" and "their". But that's just me, professor.
07-17-2023 01:01 PM
Stat Geek Offline
Heisman

Congrats, you receive an "A" on your grammar assignment.
07-17-2023 01:03 PM
bench jockey Offline
1st String

and you flunked. congrats to you.
07-17-2023 01:05 PM
Stat Geek Offline
Heisman

(07-17-2023 01:05 PM)bench jockey Wrote:  and you flunked. congrats to you.

At least you will sleep well at night knowing you managed message board grammar.
07-17-2023 01:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.