Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sun Belt Preview: The West Is Where It's At
Bookmark and Share
HowlRaiser Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Sun Belt Preview: The West Is Where It's At
Howlraiser previews 2023 Sun Belt and finds the West rising.
https://howlraiser.com/2023/07/09/sun-be...ptain-now/
07-10-2023 09:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HCJag Offline
All American

I Root For: South Alabama
RE: Sun Belt Preview: The West Is Where It's At
In the West, flip Arkansas State and Southern Miss and I agree. But, Texas State is a very big wild card.
07-10-2023 10:48 AM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
I mostly agree with this write-up. I thought I knew how the East would shake out last season and the only team that really did what I expected was Georgia Southern. This year I expect App St to get back to winning consistently and Georgia Southern to take another step forward. Marshall to be strong but JMU and Coastal to slump a bit. Georgia State and ODU? I just can't figure them out. Who wins the East? I'm going to go with App or Marshall with Georgia Southern and maybe Georgia State in the mix as well.

In the West Troy and USA just blew up last year and I think they are right back at the top again! Out of the two I'm going with USA being on top this year just like Howlraiser predicts. Troy and then Louisiana round out my top 3 in the west. USM and stAte could go either way I'm thinking (improved or bomb). Texas St and ULM well...they are going to be the same old Bobcats and Warhawks we've come to know and love I'm sure.
07-10-2023 01:08 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
(07-10-2023 09:21 AM)HowlRaiser Wrote:  Howlraiser previews 2023 Sun Belt and finds the West rising.
https://howlraiser.com/2023/07/09/sun-be...ptain-now/

Your “predictions” aren’t worth a pitcher of warm spit, but thanks for putting up an easy target to generate some summer chit-chat.

By the way, JMU’s D was more than just one player, and it returns basically intact for 2023, as does the entire starting OL. If 8-4 or 9-3 is a “Sophomore slump” so be it. 07-coffee3
07-10-2023 01:29 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
Usa ain’t beat us in 5+ years. And it’s at home. Defense won’t take much of a drop. and offense is going to be better.
07-10-2023 02:52 PM
Arrowhead Offline
Beltbbs ULM INsider

I Root For: ULM
The portal did not destroy ULM this off season. Most that left were urged to leave. Did lose some pretty good players, but refilled with better in lost spots, especially in the backfield with much bigger, better backs with an Ole Miss Grad transfer and Miami 4-star back.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2023 08:59 AM by Arrowhead.)
07-12-2023 08:58 AM
Advertisement

Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(07-10-2023 10:48 AM)HCJag Wrote:  In the West, flip Arkansas State and Southern Miss and I agree. But, Texas State is a very big wild card.

. . . cause we got potential . . . Unfulfilled, but we got it.
07-12-2023 10:18 AM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(07-10-2023 01:08 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  I mostly agree with this write-up. I thought I knew how the East would shake out last season and the only team that really did what I expected was Georgia Southern. This year I expect App St to get back to winning consistently and Georgia Southern to take another step forward. Marshall to be strong but JMU and Coastal to slump a bit. Georgia State and ODU? I just can't figure them out. Who wins the East? I'm going to go with App or Marshall with Georgia Southern and maybe Georgia State in the mix as well.

In the West Troy and USA just blew up last year and I think they are right back at the top again! Out of the two I'm going with USA being on top this year just like Howlraiser predicts. Troy and then Louisiana round out my top 3 in the west. USM and stAte could go either way I'm thinking (improved or bomb). Texas St and ULM well...they are going to be the same old Bobcats and Warhawks we've come to know and love I'm sure.

You may be right, history certainly says so, but we’re sooooooo hoping you’re Wrong.
07-12-2023 10:20 AM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Man, no one on this board gets offended more easily than JMI football fans.
07-12-2023 10:48 AM
rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
Quote:However, Jamey Chadwell making a lateral move to Liberty in CUSA gives me the hives. The Chanticleers won an awful lot of games by the skin of their beaks in 2023, and its abysmal manner by which Coastal closed 2022 (blowout losses to JMU, Troy and East Carolina) has me thinking that Chadwell had a sneak peak to the writing on the wall.

He left for money. Coastal wasn’t going to give him what he wanted so he was going to leave. He couldn’t get a P5 offer. He was going to take the USF job until Liberty swooped in and gave him a $30 million contract.

The way we ended the season was bad. I don’t think the head coach and assistants mentally checking out early helps though.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2023 11:32 AM by rokamortis.)
07-12-2023 11:31 AM
rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
(07-12-2023 10:48 AM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  Man, no one on this board gets offended more easily than JMI football fans.

That’s pretty impressive given how sensitive some people are on here.
07-12-2023 11:33 AM
Advertisement

bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
(07-12-2023 11:33 AM)rokamortis Wrote:  
(07-12-2023 10:48 AM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  Man, no one on this board gets offended more easily than JMI football fans.

Even more impressive because there are no JMU (assuming that's what was meant?) comments in this thread...
07-12-2023 12:14 PM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(07-12-2023 12:14 PM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  

Even more impressive because there are no JMU (assuming that's what was meant?) comments in this thread...

You must have missed this one:

"Your “predictions” aren’t worth a pitcher of warm spit, but thanks for putting up an easy target to generate some summer chit-chat.

By the way, JMU’s D was more than just one player, and it returns basically intact for 2023, as does the entire starting OL. If 8-4 or 9-3 is a “Sophomore slump” so be it. ""07-coffee3
07-12-2023 12:47 PM
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
JMU has a transfer QB that played a lot at USF and had a few starts at Arizona. Supposedly there's a redshirt freshman (Alonza Barnett) who could beat him out for the job. I think JMU is fine at QB and that Cignetti took a QB from Colorado State that probably no one wanted and made him offensive player of the year just shows he knows how to find guys that fit the system.

BTW, Georgia Southern is the other team in the East that will have an upgrade at QB.
07-12-2023 01:03 PM
KJ Eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
(07-12-2023 01:03 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  JMU has a transfer QB that played a lot at USF and had a few starts at Arizona. Supposedly there's a redshirt freshman (Alonza Barnett) who could beat him out for the job. I think JMU is fine at QB and that Cignetti took a QB from Colorado State that probably no one wanted and made him offensive player of the year just shows he knows how to find guys that fit the system.

BTW, Georgia Southern is the other team in the East that will have an upgrade at QB.

I think you're right. Brin had half the number of INTs last year than KVT had. If he continues to throw to the good guys this year too, he should be a slight step up. KVT threw them in spurts last year and we lost two games that I think we should have won because of INT's last year.
07-12-2023 02:09 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
West is best.
07-12-2023 02:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Eagleyed Offline
1st String

I Root For: USM
I don't see it possible that USM takes a step back. We got a lot of good recruits coming in and we finally have a quarterback. I could see going 6-6 again, but taking a step back and not making a bowl would certainly surprise me if it happened.
07-12-2023 02:58 PM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
(07-12-2023 12:47 PM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  

"Your “predictions” aren’t worth a pitcher of warm spit, but thanks for putting up an easy target to generate some summer chit-chat.

By the way, JMU’s D was more than just one player, and it returns basically intact for 2023, as does the entire starting OL. If 8-4 or 9-3 is a “Sophomore slump” so be it. ""07-coffee3

03-lol missed by a mile... sorry for the snark
there are definitely different levels of sensitivity out there...

01-donnankungfu
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2023 02:59 PM by bcp_jmu.)
07-12-2023 02:58 PM
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
(07-12-2023 02:58 PM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  
(07-12-2023 12:47 PM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  

03-lol missed by a mile... sorry for the snark
there are definitely different levels of sensitivity out there...

01-donnankungfu

I think people see the name Longhorn and don't even notice they're actually a JMU fan...

And just to make sure some other people get offended by this thread:
1. Lafayette
2. COVID
3. 3-6
4. Tickets scanned
5. Money drop
07-12-2023 05:18 PM
DoubleDogDare Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
(07-12-2023 01:03 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  JMU has a transfer QB that played a lot at USF and had a few starts at Arizona. Supposedly there's a redshirt freshman (Alonza Barnett) who could beat him out for the job. I think JMU is fine at QB and that Cignetti took a QB from Colorado State that probably no one wanted and made him offensive player of the year just shows he knows how to find guys that fit the system.

And turned Ben Dinucci from a multiple year backup with 6 TDs and 7 INTS at Pitt into a 7th round NFL draft pick. And then turned Cole Johnson from a multiple year backup under multiple HCs to a 41TD and 4 INT super senior QB and CFPA FCS National Performer of the Year.

With that history, an experienced OL, and a stable of RBs, the only question mark IMHO is who is going to catch the ball.

We lost 80% of our WR receptions (105 of 132), WR yards (1,727 of 2,153) and WR TDS (16 of 20). We have exactly 1 WR returning that has caught a pass in a game against an FBS team.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2023 06:16 PM by DoubleDogDare.)
07-12-2023 06:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.