UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Q&A with UAB AD Mark Ingram on AAC transition, NIL and state of department
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Exclamation Q&A with UAB AD Mark Ingram on AAC transition, NIL and state of department
07-05-2023 08:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

RE: Q&A with UAB AD Mark Ingram on AAC transition, NIL and state of department
Interesting to see his comments on NIL and having an announcement forthcoming about a new collective. Maybe the wheels are finally turning there.
07-05-2023 09:11 AM
FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
I thought the AK-related discourse was interesting too. Can't help but wonder if the WV talks ended in a "call me after the season."
07-05-2023 09:41 AM
blazerjay Offline

Donators
(07-05-2023 09:11 AM)hooverblazer Wrote:  Interesting to see his comments on NIL and having an announcement forthcoming about a new collective. Maybe the wheels are finally turning there.

I just wish he had used another term for it. "Pay for play" is still a violation of other NCAA rules and to state it outright is not a very good idea. We don't want to be the program that is made an example of. Why call attention to it like that?
07-05-2023 09:58 AM
MAN4UAB Offline
All American

(07-05-2023 09:41 AM)FNblazer Wrote:  I thought the AK-related discourse was interesting too. Can't help but wonder if the WV talks ended in a "call me after the season."

I won’t be surprised if he is gone next March/April. I am glad though that he didn’t bail on this team that he just put together.
07-05-2023 10:24 AM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

(07-05-2023 09:41 AM)FNblazer Wrote:  I thought the AK-related discourse was interesting too. Can't help but wonder if the WV talks ended in a "call me after the season."

Me too. He almost seems resigned to AK leaving after this year. I know we can't compete with a P5 salary, but hopefully he puts up more of a fight than just letting him walk.
07-05-2023 10:26 AM
Advertisement

MAN4UAB Offline
All American

(07-05-2023 09:58 AM)blazerjay Wrote:  
(07-05-2023 09:11 AM)hooverblazer Wrote:  Interesting to see his comments on NIL and having an announcement forthcoming about a new collective. Maybe the wheels are finally turning there.

I just wish he had used another term for it. "Pay for play" is still a violation of other NCAA rules and to state it outright is not a very good idea. We don't want to be the program that is made an example of. Why call attention to it like that?

I see it as calling a spade as a spade.
07-05-2023 10:27 AM
blazers9911 Online
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up

This is the first thing I thought when I read the article. We get what’s going on, but Texas A&M and Texas won’t get the hammer dropped on them by the NCAA.
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2023 11:39 AM by blazers9911.)
07-05-2023 11:38 AM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(07-05-2023 10:27 AM)MAN4UAB Wrote:  

Of course but read the actual sentence: "we are close to setting up a pay-for-play collective". I would have never uttered that sentence in a media interview in his position - especially given his documented history of vocal condemnation of the practice by that very phrase. Seems like a weird thing to put out there and then have that quote thrown back in your face by the NCAA. Maybe ADs across all levels truly don't give a **** about the NCAA anymore lol.
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2023 12:59 PM by demiveeman.)
07-05-2023 12:56 PM
MAN4UAB Offline
All American

(07-05-2023 12:56 PM)demiveeman Wrote:  
(07-05-2023 10:27 AM)MAN4UAB Wrote:  

Maybe ADs across all levels truly don't give a **** about the NCAA anymore lol.

Apparently this is the case. ADMI has been in the game long enough to understand the ramifications of his public interviews.
07-05-2023 04:37 PM
blazers9911 Online
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
And we all know when the ncaa goes to punish somebody it’s going to be UAB and not Texas A&M. It is absolutely unnecessary to spell out what we are doing in an interview like this. Just call it a collective and move on
07-05-2023 05:26 PM
Advertisement

ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
(07-05-2023 10:26 AM)hooverblazer Wrote:  

Me too. He almost seems resigned to AK leaving after this year. I know we can't compete with a P5 salary, but hopefully he puts up more of a fight than just letting him walk.

It's about the money but not what everyone thinks.

We don't have to compete with a P5 salary. Just stay competitive there. We just cannot cap his ceiling. Right now it is capped and if ghat doesnt change IMHO this is his last year here. That said if we can get this revampred NIL working and give him the ability to compete for a roster that can give him a chance to make deep runs in March, we have a shot at keeping him.

UAB is a pretty damn good gig and with the new practice facility, Bartow renovations, improved schedule in and out of AAC, revamped NIL, and a salary that will be on par with peers is a good enough job to attract some solid coaches or even retain a current one.
07-06-2023 06:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Quote:Trent Dilfer is pointing out the obvious, which is to stop texting my kids. I don’t think he’s called the NCAA on anybody but he’s called the head coaches of those schools and said, “I saw this, it came from this person, and now they’re coming to your school. They’ve got paid from you, your collective, and they’re coming there, or they tried to.
07-06-2023 06:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

Part of the problem is we have a terrible beat writer. He may not have said it in that context, he may have been talking about others. Did that article get edited? I didnt see the article until last night.
07-06-2023 07:03 AM
blazers9911 Online
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
It looks like the article did get edited.
07-06-2023 07:07 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

So piss poor journalism strikes again. smh
07-06-2023 07:09 AM
Advertisement

jaymay2525 Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-06-2023 07:09 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  So piss poor journalism strikes again. smh

So even when he does finally write something, he hurts UAB lol
07-06-2023 09:39 AM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
How do you "edit" a quotation?

Was it a quote or was it not a quote? I know he didn't literally use quotations in his formatting, but a Q&A is literally a "question and answer". The chosen format implies to the reader that the answer is an actual quote from the person answering. How do you go back and edit the meaning of something like that? Horseshit.

It's either he wasn't actually using real quoted answers to begin with (which is - best case - misleading) or he did use the actual quote and it was edited later either because somebody at AL.com read this (possibly the writer) and wanted to avoid controversy or somebody at UAB (possibly Ingram) read this and asked the author to change it. Either way, it's wishy-washy, piss-poor "journalism".

Even if Ingram did read it and ask Dudley to change it (whether it was a valid clarification to make or not) - I wouldn't blame Ingram for it. This is on the "news" publication.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2023 09:48 AM by demiveeman.)
07-06-2023 09:41 AM
jaymay2525 Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-06-2023 09:41 AM)demiveeman Wrote:  How do you "edit" a quotation?

Was it a quote or was it not a quote? I know he didn't literally use quotations in his formatting, but a Q&A is literally a "question and answer". The chosen format implies to the reader that the answer is an actual quote from the person answering. How do you go back and edit the meaning of something like that? Horseshit.

It's either he wasn't actually using real quoted answers to begin with (which is - best case - misleading) or he did use the actual quote and it was edited later either because somebody at AL.com read this (possibly the writer) and wanted to avoid controversy or somebody at UAB (possibly Ingram) read this and asked the author to change it. Either way, it's wishy-washy, piss-poor "journalism".

Even if Ingram did read it and ask Dudley to change it (whether it was a valid clarification to make or not) - I wouldn't blame Ingram for it. This is on the "news" publication.

Maybe it was quotation fingers

[Image: a-mere-technicality-air-quotes.gif]
07-06-2023 10:33 AM
busch Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
He asked about the tennis program but didn't bother to ask about the Under Armour/Nike situation. Continued quality work by Dudley. [/u][/b]
07-06-2023 10:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.