Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How I believe the NCAA influenced the Sun Belt..
Bookmark and Share
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
How I believe the NCAA influenced the Sun Belt..
I was doing a thought exercise last night about what could have happened in college football had the NCAA not allowed conferences with under 12 teams to host a conference championship game and these are the conclusions I came to. I know it's kind of long so either enjoy or skip it.

- Sun Belt would have kept NMSU as FB only affiliate and would of needed to add EKU (since they were passed for Coastal) to get the SBC to 12.

- Big XII needed 2 so it makes sense that BYU + Cincinnati would have been added.

- AAC adds UAB to replace them and return to 12.

- the 13 team C-USA (having freshly raided the SBC) potentially adds JMU because of ODU's influence to get back to 14.

- Eventually UConn leaves the AAC for the Big East because the basketball still isn't what they want it to be

- GAST actually leaves the Sun Belt to take their place in the AAC East

- SBC responds by adding Liberty since they passed on them earlier and are in dire need of a #12.

- Things simmer down for a time before OU/UT announce their moves to the SEC

- Big XII needing to get back to 12 then adds Houston and UCF

- AAC adds Charlotte and Rice to get back to 12

- C-USA holds at 12

- USC/UCLA announce moves to the B1G

- SMU/SDSU announce moves to the PAC-12

- AAC adds North Texas to replace SMU

- MWC adds either UTSA or UTEP to replace SDSU.

At this point I saw 1 of 2 things happening.

Possibility 1: The Sun Belt at 12 (but most likely losing 2 to the C-USA) and C-USA choose to merge:

Sun Belt East: Jacksonville State*, Troy, South Alabama, Southern Miss, Arkansas State, ULM
Sun Belt West: ULM, La Tech, TXST, SHSU*, UTEP or UTSA, NMSU

C-USA South: FAU, FIU, GASO*, Coastal Carolina*, WKU*, MTSU
C- USA North: App State*, Marshall, Liberty*, ODU, JMU, EKU*

Possibility 2: Because merger talks could still have gone sour the C-USA might have added App State and GASO. As a result the 10 team Sun Belt adds Jax State and Sam Houston to get themselves back to 12.

ACC: As is.
AAC: East: USF, GAST, UAB, CLT, ECU, Temple | West: Memphis, Tulane, North Texas, Rice, Tulsa, Navy FB
B1G: As is.
Big XII: As is.
C-USA: "North": JMU, ODU, Marshall, App, WKU, GASO | "South": MTSU, FAU, FIU, Southern Miss, LT, UTEP or UTSA
Indy: Notre Dame, Army, UConn FB, UMass FB
MAC: As is.
MWC: As is except either UTSA or UTEP replaces SDSU
PAC-12: As is + SDSU and SMU for 12
SEC: As is.
Sun Belt: East: Liberty, EKU, Coastal, Jax State, Troy, South Alabama | West: A-State, ULM, UL, TXST, SHSU, NMSU

Therefore the only FBS team that wouldn't been added in the grand scheme of things is Kennesaw State. It seems 14 wouldn't have been as practical and we wouldn't of seen C-USA push back to 14 or the AAC/SBC expand to 14. There are also so many other ways this could have gone. Just wanted to share with you all.

Makes me happy that 10 teams were allowed to host championships and that the Sun Belt ended up the way it did. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2023 10:43 AM by Troy_Fan_15.)
06-28-2023 10:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

herdfan2013 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
RE: How I believe the NCAA influenced the Sun Belt..
That version of CUSA probably goes E/W and MU/WKU slide west while the Florida schools are East 03-puke
06-28-2023 10:49 AM
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

(06-28-2023 10:49 AM)herdfan2013 Wrote:  That version of CUSA probably goes E/W and MU/WKU slide west while the Florida schools are East 03-puke

With Judy in charge you never know haha.
06-28-2023 10:52 AM
Advertisement

HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

I Root For: Southern Miss
I’m pretty sure the solar system could have imploded and Southern Miss still would have left CUSA.
06-28-2023 03:42 PM
Luckyshot Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
(06-28-2023 03:42 PM)HarborPointe Wrote:  I’m pretty sure the solar system could have imploded and Southern Miss still would have left CUSA.

Yep, C-USA was poorly run and everyone wanted out. Nothing above would've changed that. Also, don't see any reason C-USA would be stronger than SBC in this scenario, as UL, App and CCU were the teams that made the SBC football strong and all are still there, plus Liberty. The last step of the above is that the SBC drops the football only NMSU for USM and three of Marshall, ODU and JMU (Liberty having the other spot already) and C-USA has to promote even more FCS teams if they want to keep their Champ Game.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2023 04:02 PM by Luckyshot.)
06-28-2023 03:58 PM
Advertisement

Johnnychimpo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TXST, G5, TTU sometimes
We're just going along with y'alls ride hoping to string some SBC CFB playoff banners in our trophy room even if they are not ours...
06-29-2023 09:34 PM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
In the end was it more the NCAA that helped shape the Sun Belt or the Big 12? If the Big 12 hadn’t lead the effort (with itself only having 10 teams) then deregulation would have probably never happened.
06-30-2023 05:49 AM
Advertisement

JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(06-28-2023 10:40 AM)Troy_Fan_15 Wrote:  I was doing a thought exercise last night about what could have happened in college football had the NCAA not allowed conferences with under 12 teams to host a conference championship game and these are the conclusions I came to. I know it's kind of long so either enjoy or skip it.

- Sun Belt would have kept NMSU as FB only affiliate and would of needed to add EKU (since they were passed for Coastal) to get the SBC to 12.

- Big XII needed 2 so it makes sense that BYU + Cincinnati would have been added.

- AAC adds UAB to replace them and return to 12.

- the 13 team C-USA (having freshly raided the SBC) potentially adds JMU because of ODU's influence to get back to 14.

- Eventually UConn leaves the AAC for the Big East because the basketball still isn't what they want it to be

- GAST actually leaves the Sun Belt to take their place in the AAC East

- SBC responds by adding Liberty since they passed on them earlier and are in dire need of a #12.

- Things simmer down for a time before OU/UT announce their moves to the SEC

- Big XII needing to get back to 12 then adds Houston and UCF

- AAC adds Charlotte and Rice to get back to 12

- C-USA holds at 12

- USC/UCLA announce moves to the B1G

- SMU/SDSU announce moves to the PAC-12

- AAC adds North Texas to replace SMU

- MWC adds either UTSA or UTEP to replace SDSU.

At this point I saw 1 of 2 things happening.

Possibility 1: The Sun Belt at 12 (but most likely losing 2 to the C-USA) and C-USA choose to merge:

Sun Belt East: Jacksonville State*, Troy, South Alabama, Southern Miss, Arkansas State, ULM
Sun Belt West: ULM, La Tech, TXST, SHSU*, UTEP or UTSA, NMSU

C-USA South: FAU, FIU, GASO*, Coastal Carolina*, WKU*, MTSU
C- USA North: App State*, Marshall, Liberty*, ODU, JMU, EKU*

Possibility 2: Because merger talks could still have gone sour the C-USA might have added App State and GASO. As a result the 10 team Sun Belt adds Jax State and Sam Houston to get themselves back to 12.

ACC: As is.
AAC: East: USF, GAST, UAB, CLT, ECU, Temple | West: Memphis, Tulane, North Texas, Rice, Tulsa, Navy FB
B1G: As is.
Big XII: As is.
C-USA: "North": JMU, ODU, Marshall, App, WKU, GASO | "South": MTSU, FAU, FIU, Southern Miss, LT, UTEP or UTSA
Indy: Notre Dame, Army, UConn FB, UMass FB
MAC: As is.
MWC: As is except either UTSA or UTEP replaces SDSU
PAC-12: As is + SDSU and SMU for 12
SEC: As is.
Sun Belt: East: Liberty, EKU, Coastal, Jax State, Troy, South Alabama | West: A-State, ULM, UL, TXST, SHSU, NMSU

Therefore the only FBS team that wouldn't been added in the grand scheme of things is Kennesaw State. It seems 14 wouldn't have been as practical and we wouldn't of seen C-USA push back to 14 or the AAC/SBC expand to 14. There are also so many other ways this could have gone. Just wanted to share with you all.

Makes me happy that 10 teams were allowed to host championships and that the Sun Belt ended up the way it did. 04-cheers

An article of interest.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/college-foo...59284.html
06-30-2023 12:22 PM
space orange Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF
Pretty realistic "what if". I only wonder that if the rule change hasn't happened maybe EKU wouldn't have been called up since Idaho would also have stuck around as a football only member. But with the distance, maybe they would've been pushed out and replaced by some like EKU eventually.
06-30-2023 02:33 PM
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

(06-30-2023 05:49 AM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  In the end was it more the NCAA that helped shape the Sun Belt or the Big 12? If the Big 12 hadn’t lead the effort (with itself only having 10 teams) then deregulation would have probably never happened.

That’s a fair point.

Big XII surviving and adding the 4 they did also helped get our CUSA3 here too.
06-30-2023 03:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.