Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Emotional Sports Moments For You And Your School
Bookmark and Share
Wulfegang Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Marshall
I was curious if anyone else had stories about emotional moments in your schools sports history that they would like to share. I love hearing stories about experiences fans have had, especially inspirational and moving ones.

For me, it would be the 1992 NCAA I-AA Championship game against Youngstown State. It was my second year at Marshall as a member of the (then named) "Big Green Marching Machine" drumline, and the excitement that led up to the final seconds of the 4th quarter was amazing. The rush of happiness as we kicked what ended up being the game winning field goal in itself was special. But for me, that wasn't the moment that brought me to tears. After the final whistle, we were playing the school fight song, and I looked up in the stands. That's when I saw someone had a sign saying something to the effect that this, this moment, was dedicated to the 75 we lost so many years ago. The combination of reading that while playing our school song was enough for the tears to flow. It's a moment I'll always cherish and be thankful for.
06-27-2023 09:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MOTIAW Offline
1st String

I Root For: Coastal Carolina
RE: Emotional Sports Moments For You And Your School
Gary Gilmore’s quivering voice during the on-field interview after winning the College World Series. Talking about feeling his deceased father’s hand on his shoulder, through the thick of it. His repeated expressions of thankfulness for his faith, and for the lifelong opportunity afforded him to have that chance. Followed by a close second, the post-game interview with his players.

Side note… I don’t think I’ve ever been moved as emotionally as I was, by an opponent/coach like Jay Johnson (Arizona coach) in that same post-game interview. It hurt to see him hurt for his team, and his all-star senior who made a huge error to give Coastal a chance. It was a nail biter all three games. So close, so many little things could have flipped it. The sincere respect he gave Coastal was admirable, despite the guy being absolutely wrecked. I’m almost glad he just won, as the now skipper of LSU, even though as a whole I feel dirty saying that.
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2023 09:58 PM by MOTIAW.)
06-27-2023 09:51 PM
Herdfan1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The Herd
(06-27-2023 09:38 PM)Wulfegang Wrote:  I was curious if anyone else had stories about emotional moments in your schools sports history that they would like to share. I love hearing stories about experiences fans have had, especially inspirational and moving ones.

For me, it would be the 1992 NCAA I-AA Championship game against Youngstown State. It was my second year at Marshall as a member of the (then named) "Big Green Marching Machine" drumline, and the excitement that led up to the final seconds of the 4th quarter was amazing. The rush of happiness as we kicked what ended up being the game winning field goal in itself was special. But for me, that wasn't the moment that brought me to tears. After the final whistle, we were playing the school fight song, and I looked up in the stands. That's when I saw someone had a sign saying something to the effect that this, this moment, was dedicated to the 75 we lost so many years ago. The combination of reading that while playing our school song was enough for the tears to flow. It's a moment I'll always cherish and be thankful for.

Well hmm.. everyone knows Marshall's quintessential moments... The Crash.. The Xavier game... Byron being carried down the field and leading the comeback on a broken leg.... With permissions, I'm gonna go outside the stadium realm...

For the GSU folks coming up, I highly suggest you research and plan for the fountain ceremony that week...I remember one of the ones I went to during my undergrad. With heads bowed, he said "It is now.. PM... (X) years ago, you just lost 75 of your closest friends....Shortly after, the fountain shut off for the winter... I dare say I wasn't the only one with the waterworks goin' on...
06-27-2023 11:45 PM
ODUODUODU Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
Beating a ranked Va Tech team in 2017 meant a lot to me...
06-28-2023 06:07 AM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
just off the cuff en macro...

first southern miss game attended at the age of 10 (at Jackson Memorial due to the upper deck expansion/construction at the Rock) ... BYU heads east of the 'sip river for the first time (w/o smokey or the bandit) to lose 42-14 to hardy st. high...

giving the bear and bammers 1 of only 2 losses EVER in Tuscaloosa...

dominating moo-moo U in the '80s...

there's so many more ... those are muh faves...

fave play ... that one's too easy ... still gives me the 'tinglies' ... 03-wink

06-28-2023 06:33 AM
FairwayEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
This one beats just about all of the others for me:

06-28-2023 06:44 AM
Advertisement

MUsince96 Offline
All American

I definitely shed a tear as the clock ran out against Notre Dame. Being there in person was one of the best moments of my life.
06-28-2023 06:57 AM
Eagleholic Offline
1st String

(06-28-2023 06:44 AM)FairwayEagle Wrote:  This one beats just about all of the others for me:

That was really sweet taking down that powerhouse baseball program at The Pete and coming out of the loser's bracket to do it after the heartbreaking loss to them in our 2nd game of the regional.
06-28-2023 09:40 AM
hburg Offline

I Root For: James Madison
So many great and emotional moments at JMU. Scott McGree return for TD against Richmond, the comeback win against App St in FCS, the 2004 National Championship against Montana. 2016 win against NDSU... The win against ranked VT.

Another moment is JMU playing WVU at FedEx.

And who can forget the emotional WCWS run...

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2023 10:39 AM by hburg.)
06-28-2023 09:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eagleholic Offline
1st String

Some special football moments...

Beating Georgia between the hedges in football was special.

Beating Bear Bryant and ending the Tides 57 game winning streak at Bryant-Denny stadium was just about as good as it gets.

Beating LSU in Death Valley and watching my childhood friend and teammate run for a long TD in his freshman season.

Winning on the road at Nebraska.

Dismantling Case Keenum and the highly ranked Houston Cougars in Houston to win the CUSA Championship.

Baketball...

Some of the victories over Louisville and Memphis going back to the Metro conference days were awesome as well as some of the games vs Va Tech when they were led by Bimbo Coles and Wally Lancaster.

Beating Kansas State and Mitch Richmond.

Baseball...
Beating Florida in the Super Regionals to go to Omaha

Beating LSU at the Pete to win the Regional. This was magical and really special.

Beating Rice for the CUSA Championship at The Pete with the final out being made at the plate to cut down the tying run.

Olympics...
Watching former Southern Miss track star Tori Bowie win Gold, Silver, and Bronze in the Olympic games
06-28-2023 09:53 AM
Eagleholic Offline
1st String

Some emotional moments that had nothing to do with winning....

Watching the football team take the field in all black uniforms just days after Coach Bower's daughter was killed in a vehicle accident.

Cheering for Scott Berry (as his coaching career came to an end) and the baseball team after the final out in the Super Regional this season as the clock literally struck midnight and thanking him/them for the ride they took us on.
06-28-2023 09:57 AM
Advertisement

TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
In 2014, after we won our first Sun Belt Championship, I rushed the field and we lifted Edwin Jackson on our shoulders while we sang along to We Are the Champions.

Edwin was a walk on at GS and ended up being a stand out player in an era where GS was fielding some of its best teams 2012-2014. In his senior season in 2014 he went undefeated in the Sun Belt Conference, almost beat both GT and NC State, and was first team all Sun Belt. He went on to play for the Cardinals and then the Colts. Sadly, in 2018, his life was ended by a drunk driver in Indianapolis.

I still have that 2014 video of Edwin up on my shoulders saved on my phone. Really makes you think and makes you cherish the time you have with people.
06-28-2023 10:24 AM
T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

I Root For: App State
Being in the stands at Kyle Field last September during the kneel downs to end the game made me cry, cause I was thinking about not being able to afford the Michigan trip 15 years beforehand.

After Matics kicked the walk off field goal in the 2015 Camellia Bowl versus Ohio, I (watching at home cause of work) broke down weeping cause of all the crap from the previous 2+ years of living with the coaching change and FBS move.

Losing the chance at the 4-Peat versus Richmond in the 2008 quarterfinals. I cried in the stands in the snow because I realized it was my last game as a student and because of post-grad life, I might never make it back to another game (oh how wrong that was).

Right before the start of the 2021 Mayo Classic in Charlotte versus ECU after a year of not going to games was emotional.

After being there in person for the 63-61 UNC game after scoring 40 points in the 4th quarter, the Texas A&M upset and then the Troy Hail Mary in a 15-day span, I remember just feeling completely exhausted and drained, feeling that I couldn't take anymore insane close games.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2023 10:57 AM by T-Dog.)
06-28-2023 10:52 AM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
Georgia State had some basketball history, but I'll narrow down to two.

The old timers would say Lefty Driesell taking down #6 Wisconsin. That was a good #11 seed Georgia State squad 29-5 record.
(Perhaps Troy fans remember. Shared Trans American Conference with Troy, UCF, FAU, Samford, Charleston, Mercer, Stetson.)

The younger generation would claim Hunter upsetting #3 seed Baylor. Of course, everyone knows this shot when it went viral online. It made RJ Hunter 28th overall pick in the NBA draft.

06-28-2023 11:01 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
When we were FCS we could seemingly only get teams like Florida State, Miami (back when both were really strong), Auburn, Georgia, and other comparable programs to play us. We were by far the best FCS program to not have an FBS win. Then on the final game as an FCS team after a rough year with absurd injuries we beat Florida.

And there was the Sun Belt championship and being the first move-up ever to run the table in our first season in FBS.
06-28-2023 11:29 AM
Bulldogtrojan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Troy Trojans
There are so many emotional moments in my Troy life, it would be hard to pick one.
In 2001 Troy played Nebraska - being there in the huge stadium was amazing - scoring first was even better. It wasn't close but it wasn't a blow-out. Later that same season we would go on to play and beat Mississippi State. A few years later - Larry Blakeney had the vision to hire Tony Franklin who brought in Omar Haugabook. The last game of the season was against MTSU and Troy scored twice within a minute to win and take the conference championship for them. Being in that stadium, watching their fans getting ready to storm the field only to be denied was quite satisfying. Writing "Go Trojans" in cardinal lipstick on the bathroom mirror was equally satisfying. We went to the New Orleans Bowl that year and walking back to the hotel I kept hearing "TR-OJ-ANS" all over the Quarter and realized what a big step we had taken. Beating LSU in 2017 and Nebraska in 2018. Most recently beating Coastal in the CG - confetti on the field. For Baseball, beating Alabama twice in a regional and winning two championships - https://troytrojans.com/news/2020/5/23/b...night.aspx
Basketball - beating Miss. State on opening night of the new arena. Too many to count!
06-28-2023 12:12 PM
Advertisement

Soaring Eagle Offline
Veni, vidi, vici

CrappiesCrappies
(06-28-2023 09:40 AM)Eagleholic Wrote:  
(06-28-2023 06:44 AM)FairwayEagle Wrote:  This one beats just about all of the others for me:

That was really sweet taking down that powerhouse baseball program at The Pete and coming out of the loser's bracket to do it after the heartbreaking loss to them in our 2nd game of the regional.

From hosting the CUSA tournament, to hosting a regional (LSU), and to hosting OM in a super regional (even though we lost to the National Champions). It was a very special year.

Getting to Omaha in 09 with Corky.

The Pittsburg Liberty Bowl Victory (Even though I was mostly inebriated)
Shutting out Alabama at home with a TD on Offense, TD on Defense, and a TD special teams was special and typical of Bower Ball.

Beating Nebraska at home 2004 is picture hanging in my office. Hosting Nebraska in Hattiesburg.

Joining the SBC

These are milestones that mean a lot to me. And I'm proud of USM for achieving them.
06-28-2023 12:12 PM
FairwayEagle Offline
1st String

In 1983, in back to back weeks, we beat Ole Miss in Oxford at homecoming 27-7, then beat Miss. State 31-6 in Jackson. I was at both games and the beatings were as bad or worse than the scores. And that wasn’t one of our best football teams.
06-28-2023 12:19 PM
ragin4u Offline
WOKE AF

I Root For: Louisiana & Magat Tears
This one was pretty special. Incredible in person and then got to relive it with Jay's radio call.

(This post was last modified: 06-28-2023 12:35 PM by ragin4u.)
06-28-2023 12:34 PM
Wulfegang Offline
Special Teams

Highjacking my own thread for another moment that still gets me pumped up to this day.

1999 MAC Championship game where our undefeated/ranked year was on the line. Down by the 3 going into the final few minutes of the 4th quarter against Western Michigan. Watching them put that final drive together was exhilarating! The drive starts at 12:53 (I couldn't figure out a way to make the video start playing from that spot).

06-28-2023 01:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.