Anonymous Sun Belt Football Fan Thoughts Part Eight - Marshall
Part One - Coastal Carolina
Part Two - Louisiana
Part Three - Appalachian State
Part Four - Arkansas State
Part Five - Southern Miss
Part Six - Georgia State
Part Seven - ULM

Today the anonymous pollsters offer their take on Charles Huff's Thundering Herd of Marshall. In their sophomore season of Sun Belt play, how do the people think the league's only green team will do? A few troll answers deleted, but these are presented without spelling or grammar checks.

-

Should be another solid team middle to upper tier.

The only team that will stop Marshall this year is Marshall

Going places

They will be a contender, but QB is a little of an unknown. If Fancher is at least serviceable, they should be the favorite in the East.

I think they will stay about where they were last year. Maybe another win over last year.

Should win the conference

I honestly have no idea.

Huge question mark? They can't always rely on their defense to score points for them and they've got to get something going on offense or the D is going to get gassed and they aren't going to be able to keep up in games.

They are equivalent to Louisiana but in the East. Will contend for conference titles every year.

Will be a good team. They beat Notre Dame last year. I think they'll be pretty good again.

If the offense is semi competent to go along with a stingy defense they could win 10 games

Marshall enters into 2023 coming a solid first season in the SBC and a bowl win. With their head coach entering into his 3rd year, can he continue developing the Herd into a contender.

Look for it to be a depressing year for them. Won't live up to last year's expectations. Coach didn't really gain any recruiting respect.

Likely wins 8

Will win half of their league games

4th place finish

Ironing out the wrinkles, getting ready to make a strong run

All depends on consistency of QB play. Defense should be stout. Repeat last year record

Good Team should be in a Bowl

Marshall will have a shot to win the east this year.

9-3; win sun belt east

my pick to win the east. their defense looks insanely strong, and as long as their offense can do what it needs to do, they’ll be very good.

With their 2022 glitch solved, they will be scary great this year.

Seem to be a legit good bunch of people

Getting better. 8 wins minimum.

I dont know, but I hope top of the east.

Bowl Team

I see them improving this year

One of the premier teams in the conference. They should be competitive more seasons than not. Glad to have them back with former 1-AA rivals App State and Georgia Southern

Marshall is going to be Marshall which means strong defense and running game. QB will make or break them in 2023

Sleeper; 8-4

Like Georgia Southern, I'm really sold on this bunch. Their portal haul over the last few seasons has been among the league's top. The defense should keep trucking a long and I think they figure things out on offense. The narrative about Marshall last season was a bit misleading because of their mid season implosion and lack of offensive production. They did end 9-4 though, and that's better than their reputation last year. This is a good ball club that needs to find some offense.

Similar to App State. They will win a few you expect them to lose, and vice verse.
they too are on the rise.

6-6

Marshall’s biggest problem is Marshall. Eliminate the mistakes and they can make be top in the conference but play mediocre football like last season and they may scrape bu with a much lesser bowl birth

Hopefully Grant Wells doesn't lose the VT starting job against ODU so he can lose it against Marshall.

Solid

Ready to go to the next level.

Another decent team and probably top 1/3 of conference

Marsha. Marsha, Marsha!

Tough

They'll probably be good but not sure how good.

8-4

Competitive, but can they be consistent?

The biggest threat to JMU winning it all. I would be surprised if Marshall finished 6-0 or 5-1 in divisional play.

As usual, will compete for the top of the East
06-21-2023 06:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ThunderDent Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Herd & SBC!
RE: Anonymous Sun Belt Football Fan Thoughts Part Eight - Marshall
Seems about right to me.
I'm hoping we do one better and get to 10 wins this year. But it will be a tough road.

The East is stacked, and both Coastal and App on the road.

We miss Troy this year, but USA will be tough.

Plus road games at ECU and at NC State.
Along with VT at home.

If we get to 10 wins this year it will be a helluva season and we should be ranked well. That's a tough slate to make it through.
06-25-2023 10:38 PM
Herdfan1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The Herd
(06-25-2023 10:38 PM)ThunderDent Wrote:  Seems about right to me.
I'm hoping we do one better and get to 10 wins this year. But it will be a tough road.

The East is stacked, and both Coastal and App on the road.

We miss Troy this year, but USA will be tough.

Plus road games at ECU and at NC State.
Along with VT at home.

If we get to 10 wins this year it will be a helluva season and we should be ranked well. That's a tough slate to make it through.

So I'm the only one that thinks ECU lost a bunch during graduation?
06-25-2023 11:30 PM
Advertisement

banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
I think we will be pretty good, but it’s a tough schedule. I would say the schedule could rank in the upper 70s to lower 80s if VT and NCST are at least decent. That’s a solid number for a G5. If we win 8-9 it a really good season.
06-29-2023 09:58 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(06-29-2023 09:58 PM)banker Wrote:  I think we will be pretty good, but it’s a tough schedule. I would say the schedule could rank in the upper 70s to lower 80s if VT and NCST are at least decent. That’s a solid number for a G5. If we win 8-9 it a really good season.

Wish we were playing you guys again. One of my favorite SBC programs.
06-29-2023 10:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
(06-29-2023 10:54 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  
(06-29-2023 09:58 PM)banker Wrote:  I think we will be pretty good, but it’s a tough schedule. I would say the schedule could rank in the upper 70s to lower 80s if VT and NCST are at least decent. That’s a solid number for a G5. If we win 8-9 it a really good season.

Wish we were playing you guys again. One of my favorite SBC programs.

Yeah, I remember when you guys rolled into town with Ware and Umenyouri on the defensive line and it was like 100 degrees. I think they carried a dozen people out of the stands that day from heat stroke.

The game was brutal too. If I recall it was something like 17-6. We were playing Graham Gouchner at QB because Stan Hill got hurt celebrating a TD pass against Tennessee. Seems we’ve always played tough games with your guys.
07-02-2023 12:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.