Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MAC Expansion and Keeping an Eye on Media Contracts, Partners Discussions.
Bookmark and Share
Steve1981 Online
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
MAC Expansion and Keeping an Eye on Media Contracts, Partners Discussions.
Starting this thread for a possible new mega thread and to let the WKU and other team thread die.

With talks of UConn possibly going to the BigXII, they no longer seem in play for the MAC. The Magnificent 7 of the ACC are trying to get out of the ironclad GoR. The AAC already bulked up for this next wave of realignment.

My guess it's business as usual for the MAC and will be watching for media contract tea leaves for the next contract. But do wonder if the ACC splits and raids the AAC, would any of the left overs be in play for the MAC or CUSA.
05-20-2023 09:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BeatWestern! Online
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
RE: MAC Expansion and Keeping an Eye on Media Contracts, Partners Discussions.
(05-20-2023 09:25 AM)Steve1981 Wrote:  Starting this thread for a possible new mega thread and to let the WKU and other team thread die.

With talks of UConn possibly going to the BigXII, they no longer seem in play for the MAC. The Magnificent 7 of the ACC are trying to get out of the ironclad GoR. The AAC already bulked up for this next wave of realignment.

My guess it's business as usual for the MAC and will be watching for media contract tea leaves for the next contract. But do wonder if the ACC splits and raids the AAC, would any of the left overs be in play for the MAC or CUSA.

Steve, you can be sure the MAC is closely monitoring conference realignment as it gets ready to ramp up again this summer. The conference will hold its spring meetings next week in Cleveland and I'm quite sure the current situation will be discussed.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2023 09:56 AM by BeatWestern!.)
05-20-2023 09:47 AM
Steve1981 Online
Heisman

(05-20-2023 09:47 AM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  
(05-20-2023 09:25 AM)Steve1981 Wrote:  Starting this thread for a possible new mega thread and to let the WKU and other team thread die.

Steve, you can be sure the MAC is closely monitoring conference realignment as it gets ready to ramp up again this summer. The conference will hold its spring meetings next week in Cleveland and I'm quite sure the current situation will be discussed.

This reminds me of the years of the JMU realignment thread that their leaders will monitor the situation. Don't blame the MAC for not going after a UConn UMass affiliation out of the caution of what seems to be going on now. UConn leaves and UMass is the odd member. Blame both UMass for not going all sports with WKU and the MAC for not adding UMass as an affiliate. They both have their perspective and while not agreeing, respect both parties perspectives.

Don't see the MAC doing anything except perhaps discussing criteria. Have my own for UMass football. First is being competitive, winning is always better and it has already been a long dry spell. Second is to have things in common as public institutions of similar size and/or academic reputation. Third is a footprint that is good for the players and the fans, whether it's the MAC or a east coast facing conference.
05-20-2023 12:50 PM
thanksjim Offline
All American

I Root For: KSU
Let me know when this expansion happens....
05-20-2023 02:00 PM
Steve1981 Online
Heisman

(05-20-2023 02:00 PM)thanksjim Wrote:  Let me know when this expansion happens....

It will be AI generated, not by humans. 03-wink
05-20-2023 02:29 PM
thanksjim Offline
All American

I Root For: KSU
(05-20-2023 02:29 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  
(05-20-2023 02:00 PM)thanksjim Wrote:  Let me know when this expansion happens....

It will be AI generated, not by humans. 03-wink

Would not be totally surprised if that happened
05-20-2023 03:56 PM
Advertisement

HuskieTap22 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU / DePaul
(05-20-2023 09:47 AM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  

What else is new? That should be the MAC’s official slogan since it is the same packaged response the conference has been using for years. A conference that constantly monitors the landscape and watches everyone else pass it by. Great strategy.
05-21-2023 12:30 PM
MacLord Offline
All American

I Root For:
Did everyone pass us by? Because I think the MAC won the bowl trophy last year.
05-21-2023 01:02 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(05-21-2023 01:02 PM)MacLord Wrote:  Did everyone pass us by? Because I think the MAC won the bowl trophy last year.

College FB attendance was up 5% in 2022. The MAC had the worst average FB attendance of any FBS Conference. MAC FB attendance drop 18%, the lowest since 1992, I believe the AAC was the only Conference, that had negative attendance for the year about 1%. AAC averages about 28,000 a game and the MAC 14,000.
05-21-2023 02:55 PM
HuskieTap22 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU / DePaul
Here is a direct quote from an interview with the Toledo AD a few months back. If the MAC was on the upswing then there would be no reason to make a comment like this. The conference has been complacent and trending down for way too long now.

“Some of our competitors like the Sun Belt have continued to invest heavily and move the needle. I think myself and my AD colleagues — and I hope the presidents — are starting to put our heads together and figure out how to move this conference up as opposed to leveling off.”

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/ut/20...0230214117
05-21-2023 04:22 PM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Need. New. Commissioner. Now.
05-21-2023 08:33 PM
Advertisement

OhioBobcatJohn Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio
Youngstown State and Eastern Kentucky would be two schools in the region that might accept a MAC invite. I think everyone else is hoping the AAC calls them instead of the MAC. Delaware and UMass aren't putting basketball with the MAC.
05-23-2023 12:07 AM
BeatWestern! Online
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
(05-23-2023 12:07 AM)OhioBobcatJohn Wrote:  Youngstown State and Eastern Kentucky would be two schools in the region that might accept a MAC invite. I think everyone else is hoping the AAC calls them instead of the MAC. Delaware and UMass aren't putting basketball with the MAC.

YSU was passed over 25 years ago in favor of Buffalo and would jump at the chance to join the MAC. EKU, too, would love to join the MAC.

Delaware is in the CAA and if it receives an invite to the MAC, would be for all sports.

You are correct that UMass seeks a football affiliation.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2023 08:13 AM by BeatWestern!.)
05-23-2023 08:11 AM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(05-23-2023 12:07 AM)OhioBobcatJohn Wrote:  Youngstown State and Eastern Kentucky would be two schools in the region that might accept a MAC invite. I think everyone else is hoping the AAC calls them instead of the MAC. Delaware and UMass aren't putting basketball with the MAC.

No way to Youngstown. We do NOT need anymore MAC schools located in Ohio.
05-23-2023 11:08 AM
OhioBobcatJohn Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio
Youngstown State would be closest school to Buffalo, Akron and Kent State that MAC could add. YSU is close to Cleveland which would help attendance for MAC basketball tournament too. Adding YSU and EKU would allow the MAC to move BGSU to the west. Adding those two schools. would lower travel cost for every MAC school. YSU has a strong tradition in football. They would be a contender in MAC East. Their basketball has improved recently too. MAC strength is its regional rivalries.
05-24-2023 03:35 AM
cmufanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: cmu chippewas
(05-24-2023 03:35 AM)OhioBobcatJohn Wrote:  Youngstown State would be closest school to Buffalo, Akron and Kent State that MAC could add. YSU is close to Cleveland which would help attendance for MAC basketball tournament too. Adding YSU and EKU would allow the MAC to move BGSU to the west. Adding those two schools.
would lower travel cost for every MAC school. YSU has a strong tradition in football. They would be a contender in MAC East. Their basketball has improved recently too. MAC strength is its regional rivalries.

YSU and EKU will not move the needle and increase our payout. Will any teams do that, at this point other then NDSU etc I doubt it and I don't see them coming. May as well just remain where we are at and keep more money per school then bringing on mid fcs programs and having more mouths to feed.
05-24-2023 07:22 AM
Advertisement

lance99 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron Zips
(05-24-2023 03:35 AM)OhioBobcatJohn Wrote:  Youngstown State would be closest school to Buffalo, Akron and Kent State that MAC could add. YSU is close to Cleveland which would help attendance for MAC basketball tournament too. Adding YSU and EKU would allow the MAC to move BGSU to the west. Adding those two schools. would lower travel cost for every MAC school. YSU has a strong tradition in football. They would be a contender in MAC East. Their basketball has improved recently too. MAC strength is its regional rivalries.

I said it before and I will say it again: The LAST thing the MAC needs is another Ohio or Michigan School07-coffee307-coffee307-coffee307-coffee307-coffee3
05-24-2023 08:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Buffalo Super Fan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Buffalo
At this point I don’t see why the MAC would expand we are a solid 12 schools. If spots open and we go to 10 or even 8 schools I am good as a Buffalo Bulls fan. If MAC conference membership drops below 8 schools. Then I would see the need to expand to get back to 8 schools other wise no. And I don’t care what made up regulations the NCAA comes up with they have no power anymore with NIL. As a MAC fan whatever the Big Ten Conference does is more important than the NCAA. As a MAC fan I would support the Power 5 Conferences leaving the NCAA as a MAC membership school I hope the MAC would join them because the NCAA is corrupt to the core unfairly punishing smaller less popular schools and letting bigger schools slide in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo
05-24-2023 10:26 PM
Steve1981 Online
Heisman

(05-24-2023 10:26 PM)Buffalo Super Fan Wrote:  At this point I don’t see why the MAC would expand we are a solid 12 schools. If spots open and we go to 10 or even 8 schools I am good as a Buffalo Bulls fan. If MAC conference membership drops below 8 schools. Then I would see the need to expand to get back to 8 schools other wise no. And I don’t care what made up regulations the NCAA comes up with they have no power anymore with NIL. As a MAC fan whatever the Big Ten Conference does is more important than the NCAA. As a MAC fan I would support the Power 5 Conferences leaving the NCAA as a MAC membership school I hope the MAC would join them because the NCAA is corrupt to the core unfairly punishing smaller less popular schools and letting bigger schools slide in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo

Agree with Buffalo Super fan the MAC is fine at 12. Only posting the following from the UMassHoops board as showing my constant battle with the UMass basketball establishment.

Quote:
eldonabe post_id=547441 time=1685020324 user_id=79 Wrote:Ha Touche`

I can see the NE football angle I suppose - but I will not hold my breath..

As for the MAC... Umass [correctly] opted out of that. But since then, they have been an active shopper and nobody is even sniffing the bait as they swim by.

All G5 conference are now southern conferences except the MWC and the MAC. Had some hope the dominoes would fall just right and the MWC, who's commissioner is a UMass BB alumni would take UConn and their travel partner UMass for some east coast exposure. That said, understand you want to be in the highest rated conference possible, but the A10 reputation is on watch. We are now averaging 2 NCAA credits and disparately need a team to make the sweet sixteen. It needs to happen soon! The A10 contract was 5M in 2012 and most conferences have seen a sizable jump since then. It's 2023 and the last extension is expiring. We have 15 teams splitting a shrinking pie.

Really hope the BigXII passes over UConn. If the ACC splits someday. Do see hope there. The football team now is the closest to having a full roster since FBS. The offensive line remains thin. Being independent means we lose some close recruiting battles, which does not help. Have said my preferences as not going in the MAC has cost UMass Athletics almost 1M a year for the last few years. Glad we did not go there fore 1 reason. Because the sharp decline in UMass BB attendance would have been blamed on the conference, not the fact casual UMass fans want to see good team basketball with some great plays and a great chance to see the team win.

https://www.umasshoops.com/newboard/view...&start=600

and for your entertainment continues to the next page.

https://www.umasshoops.com/newboard/view...&start=615
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2023 10:34 PM by Steve1981.)
05-25-2023 10:08 AM
Steve1981 Online
Heisman

Know Army has turned down other conferences, BUT. Has the MAC ever investigated a ND type affiliation with Army. This way they'd have most of their schedule to play down south. Has this style affiliation ever been offered or discussed by MAC officials?
05-27-2023 08:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.