UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CBS Sports Article on Trent Dilfer
hooverblazer Online
Promoter of UAB

I Root For: UAB
CBS Sports Article on Trent Dilfer
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...-about-it/

A couple interesting notes in here. Article says Dilfer turned down $500k of his own salary to use towards increasing the assistant pool. He's making $1.3M so our HC budget was $1.8M.

The article also says he had discussions with Boise St and Fresno St in their most recent coaching searches. [/quote]
03-29-2023 02:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BatesUAB Offline
Doombringer, Esq.

I Root For: Hard Liquor
RE: CBS Sports Article on Trent Dilfer
"This is a powder keg, and I'm here to light that fuse."

Love it. We won't know how this all turns out until we lace 'em up, but I love this mentality.
03-29-2023 02:35 PM
DuelingDragon Online
All American

Couldn’t be more excited about this staff and program. No matter how it turns out, I feel like some things that needed to be done are going to get done
03-29-2023 03:01 PM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
I haven't been this excited about a head coach since Garrick McGee
03-29-2023 04:39 PM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

(03-29-2023 04:39 PM)LairDweller Wrote:  I haven't been this excited about a head coach since Garrick McGee

LOL

Admittedly I was fired up with the McGee hire as well. Then I met him after the first spring game. I was not impressed.

I haven’t met Dilfer yet, but count me all in.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2023 08:55 PM by KevMo4UAB.)
03-29-2023 08:30 PM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-29-2023 08:30 PM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  
(03-29-2023 04:39 PM)LairDweller Wrote:  I haven't been this excited about a head coach since Garrick McGee

LOL

Admittedly I was fired up with the McGee hire as well. Then I met him after the first spring game. I was not impressed.

In all fairness, each time I heard McGee speak, my excitement declined (or at the very least stayed the same)
Every time I hear Dilfer speak, I’m a little more fired up. If his coaching game is half as good as his talking game, whew, watch out
03-30-2023 08:40 AM
Advertisement

blazerblazer Online
1st String

(03-30-2023 08:40 AM)LairDweller Wrote:  
(03-29-2023 08:30 PM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  

LOL

In all fairness, each time I heard McGee speak, my excitement declined (or at the very least stayed the same)
Every time I hear Dilfer speak, I’m a little more fired up. If his coaching game is half as good as his talking game, whew, watch out

Agreed.
The Dilf > The Stache
03-30-2023 08:55 AM
The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
McGee’s hiring was definitely exciting to me initially. I never met him, but the immediate results had me panicking. You could quickly see he was a dumpster fire of a coach and person.
03-30-2023 09:32 AM
DuelingDragon Online
All American

I was excited for McGee mostly because he wasn’t Callaway. The we found out pretty quickly that Callaway wasn’t so bad in comparison.
03-30-2023 09:39 AM
Blazer4Life14 Offline
One of “Kent’s People”

I Root For: UAB, Pro Sports
(03-30-2023 09:39 AM)DuelingDragon Wrote:  I was excited for McGee mostly because he wasn’t Callaway. The we found out pretty quickly that Callaway wasn’t so bad in comparison.

Callaway gave us a lot of moral victories, which is more than anything McGee ever gave us lol.
03-30-2023 12:50 PM
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
The thing about McGee and his open practices is that we got to watch in real time the players go from being excited about McGee to being openly tired of his BS.
03-30-2023 12:54 PM
Advertisement

THE_LEGEND Offline
1st String

when i met him in person, i shook his hand and knew immediately we werescrewed like a pooch.

I've held dead fish at the lake and the gulf and they had more strength that what he stuck out.
03-30-2023 01:46 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(03-30-2023 09:32 AM)The Answer UAB Wrote:  McGee’s hiring was definitely exciting to me initially. I never met him, but the immediate results had me panicking. You could quickly see he was a dumpster fire of a coach and person.

As soon as I saw the video of McGee walking through the old locker room after his hire I knew we were in trouble. He looked sick. It was obviously the first time he'd seen it, and you could see the "Help Meeeee!" thought balloon over his head.
03-30-2023 06:30 PM
Pavy78 Offline
Special Teams

No coach kicks off both halves of a game like McGee. It's tough to replace that level of....
03-30-2023 08:41 PM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

sorry for the derail
03-30-2023 09:00 PM
BatesUAB Offline
Doombringer, Esq.

(03-30-2023 06:30 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  
(03-30-2023 09:32 AM)The Answer UAB Wrote:  McGee’s hiring was definitely exciting to me initially. I never met him, but the immediate results had me panicking. You could quickly see he was a dumpster fire of a coach and person.

As soon as I saw the video of McGee walking through the old locker room after his hire I knew we were in trouble. He looked sick. It was obviously the first time he'd seen it, and you could see the "Help Meeeee!" thought balloon over his head.

He probably had the same look Dusty May had when he got to FAU. And they're in the Final Four. That's a pretty good comparison between a good coach and a dumpster fire.
03-31-2023 08:21 AM
Advertisement

GreenFreakUAB Online
All American

(03-30-2023 12:50 PM)Blazer4Life14 Wrote:  
(03-30-2023 09:39 AM)DuelingDragon Wrote:  I was excited for McGee mostly because he wasn’t Callaway. The we found out pretty quickly that Callaway wasn’t so bad in comparison.

Callaway gave us a lot of moral victories, which is more than anything McGee ever gave us lol.

...when he decided to go for the two and the win in Hattiesburg, that ALONE put him squarely above the Stache in rankings of UAB football coaches all time... ...not sure as to that short list of coaches, but... perhaps not fair for one season, but... was Vincent > Callaway? I'd say of course, but perhaps a bit more interesting comparison than it looks on the surface... 05-stirthepot
03-31-2023 09:25 AM
BatesUAB Offline
Doombringer, Esq.

GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  was Vincent > Callaway? I'd say of course, but perhaps a bit more interesting comparison than it looks on the surface

Be a good thought experiment. If you take into account their results combined with potential and resources at hand, answer might not be so obvious.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2023 09:42 AM by BatesUAB.)
03-31-2023 09:41 AM
UAB Schnauzer Offline
1st String

(03-31-2023 09:41 AM)BatesUAB Wrote:  
GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  was Vincent > Callaway? I'd say of course, but perhaps a bit more interesting comparison than it looks on the surface

Be a good thought experiment. If you take into account their results combined with potential and resources at hand, answer might not be so obvious.

Callaway also had strict recruiting restrictions due to the Watson Brown penalty no other coach had to deal with.
03-31-2023 03:06 PM
DuelingDragon Online
All American

With Callaway I never questioned whether he was trying his hardest to win or whether he was a good person at heart who cared about his players. I questioned that about McGee more than once.
03-31-2023 03:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.