Oliver is gone. Met with the AD
03-10-2023 11:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JWBUC Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
RE: Oliver is gone.
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (March 10, 2023) – East Tennessee State University announced today that head men’s basketball coach Desmond Oliver will not return next season.

“I met with Coach Oliver today, and we discussed the program is not meeting the expectations of the Athletics Department.” Dr. Richard Sander, Director of Intercollegiate Athletics for ETSU, said. “We feel that parting ways is the best thing for our men’s basketball program and our student-athletes. We wish Coach Oliver the best in his future endeavors.”

ETSU will launch a national search for a new head men’s basketball coach immediately. Joe Hugley will serve as interim head coach while the search is underway.

For more information on Buccaneer men’s basketball, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the men’s basketball page.
03-10-2023 11:50 AM
MidwayMountaineer Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ETSU
Y'all got your wish....what a mistake... I guess we send the message out to potential coaches that you got 2 years to turn this around .. What's the criteria, got 2 years to make the tourney? You want consistent top 3 in the socon? At least Sander will be making the hire and not the previous joke of an AD they had...Another complete roster turnover I'm sure..Well see what names pop up, they have proven they have a bit deeper pockets then some other mid major programs, hopefully he already had some interest before he pulled the trigger...
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2023 11:59 AM by MidwayMountaineer.)
03-10-2023 11:57 AM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
I trust Sander. The lack of an efficient offense was evident to everyone. Also the number of issues he had with players was a sign there was an issue at the top. I'm glad Hugley is on as interim. Hopefully there can be a spot for him on a new staff. I think he is a great young coach.

Let's see what happens.
03-10-2023 12:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

Donators
(03-10-2023 11:57 AM)MidwayMountaineer Wrote:  Y'all got your wish....what a mistake... I guess we send the message out to potential coaches that you got 2 years to turn this around .. What's the criteria, got 2 years to make the tourney? You want consistent top 3 in the socon? At least Sander will be making the hire and not the previous joke of an AD they had...Another complete roster turnover I'm sure..Well see what names pop up, they have proven they have a bit deeper pockets then some other mid major programs, hopefully he already had some interest before he pulled the trigger...

Forbes went to the 'ship in year one. Losing 20 games and being swept by WESTERN is a sure way to get canned.
03-10-2023 12:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(03-10-2023 12:02 PM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  
(03-10-2023 11:57 AM)MidwayMountaineer Wrote:  Y'all got your wish....what a mistake... I guess we send the message out to potential coaches that you got 2 years to turn this around .. What's the criteria, got 2 years to make the tourney? You want consistent top 3 in the socon? At least Sander will be making the hire and not the previous joke of an AD they had...Another complete roster turnover I'm sure..Well see what names pop up, they have proven they have a bit deeper pockets then some other mid major programs, hopefully he already had some interest before he pulled the trigger...

Forbes went to the 'ship in year one. Losing 20 games and being swept by WESTERN is a sure way to get canned.

Yes a good coach can win in one year with the portal. Two years is more than enough to see where the program is going. We were obviously going in the wrong direction fast. It will be interesting to see who Doc Sander has been talking to. This is a crucial hire.
03-10-2023 12:08 PM
Advertisement

ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

Donators
RE: BREAKING: Oliver is gone
Brooks Savage? Mike Morrell?
03-10-2023 12:33 PM
DaBuc Brass Offline
2nd String

What is the mistake? His roster management has been atrocious, and we had someone leave cause of a fight in the locker room where someone got a concussion from getting hit with a speaker! 7 available players on senior day. That's is almost half your roster.
03-10-2023 12:38 PM
bucs77 Offline
Special Teams

Kermit Davis?
03-10-2023 12:39 PM
Bucster Offline
All American

BREAKING: Oliver is gone
I trust this move as well. This move also tells me that Quarles will also be gone if the football team shows no improvement this season.
03-10-2023 12:41 PM
ThreedomHall Offline
Water Engineer

I fully trust Sander to find us a legacy hire. Excited for the future!
03-10-2023 12:42 PM
Advertisement

GoBucsGo Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(03-10-2023 12:33 PM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  Brooks Savage? Mike Morrell?

Good suggestions. Kellen Sampson?
03-10-2023 12:50 PM
MidwayMountaineer Offline
Water Engineer

Maybe the next coach will have time to unpack his bags...I'm sure he'll have an array of scholarships to shop the portal with and we will see this one year turnaround all coaches experience since the age of the transfer portal...
03-10-2023 12:52 PM
ThreedomHall Offline
Water Engineer

(03-10-2023 12:52 PM)MidwayMountaineer Wrote:  Maybe the next coach will have time to unpack his bags...I'm sure he'll have an array of scholarships to shop the portal with and we will see this one year turnaround all coaches experience since the age of the transfer portal...

Familiar with Dennis Gates at Mizzou?
03-10-2023 12:57 PM
bailey472 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Multiple
Thompson from Emory & Henry. I was impressed with how hard his team played when they came to Freedom. He is from the area/local and was a ball boy here as a kid according to the radio show. Can get him cheaper and he would probably stay for a long time. Has done a lot with a little in his career, especially at Emory & Henry. Also won a conference championship at SUNY Canton. Has ties to the Southern Conference from his time at UNCG and VMI. He was also was on staff at Virginia Tech and his bio says he was named one of the top 5 assistant coaches in the Socon when he was at VMI.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2023 01:13 PM by bailey472.)
03-10-2023 01:09 PM
JW2265 Offline
Water Engineer

B.J. McKie
03-10-2023 01:11 PM
Advertisement

DaBuc Brass Offline
2nd String

(03-10-2023 12:39 PM)bucs77 Wrote:  Kermit Davis?

Worth reaching out. Morrell and Kerns would be my 1st 2 calls, but we have to have someone with HC experience.
03-10-2023 01:18 PM
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

Ok - here I am admitting I was wrong in thinking he had one more year to figure it out. But I did allow that Oliver was one of the ones being referred to in the "bus" comment(s). And I most certainly trust Sander.
Morrell and McKie both sound promising, esp. Morrell (altho I think he likes where he is), but we need to remember that Sander's rolodex bulges like few in the business.

Yes, this likely sets us back again - barring some "home run" hire. But we all know Sander has that club in his bag. He's been lining up his shot(s) in the background for a while. We didn't foresee Forbes coming; we may not have a clue on the next one, either.
03-10-2023 01:26 PM
bailey472 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Multiple
(03-10-2023 01:26 PM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  Ok - here I am admitting I was wrong in thinking he had one more year to figure it out. But I did allow that Oliver was one of the ones being referred to in the "bus" comment(s). And I most certainly trust Sander.
Morrell and McKie both sound promising, esp. Morrell (altho I think he likes where he is), but we need to remember that Sander's rolodex bulges like few in the business.

Yes, this likely sets us back again - barring some "home run" hire. But we all know Sander has that club in his bag. He's been lining up his shot(s) in the background for a while. We didn't foresee Forbes coming; we may not have a clue on the next one, either.

I think Morrell, Kerns, and McKie all make sense as well. Would prefer someone with HC experience though.
03-10-2023 01:35 PM
Etsuwins Online
Bench Warmer

So there’s a $400,000 buyout. Did Joe Honda step up or maybe etsu has a money machine
03-10-2023 01:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.