I Root For: EMU
RE: EMU WBB Will Play on (MAC Tourney)
03-04-2023 06:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
truEMU07 Offline
Special Teams

We've been in this position before... let's bust some brackets!
03-04-2023 09:16 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
After a really good first quarter, BG defensively shut down EMU in the post. Quote '79 here 'insanity is..."

EMU kept feeding the post and Ozzy-M or Eke were doubled or tripled after the ball came into the post OR they had guards sagging trying to intercept the ball going into the post.

2nd quarter was ugly for EMU. think they scores only a few points.
03-08-2023 04:50 PM
EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's Offline
1st String

I Root For: E MICH
(03-08-2023 04:50 PM)emu steve Wrote:  After a really good first quarter, BG defensively shut down EMU in the post. Quote '79 here 'insanity is..."

EMU kept feeding the post and Ozzy-M or Eke were doubled or tripled after the ball came into the post OR they had guards sagging trying to intercept the ball going into the post.

2nd quarter outscored 21-2. Hard to overcome that. At least they made it to Cleveland! Good season, consider how few players they had. Is this Castros last year under contract?
03-08-2023 05:36 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(03-08-2023 05:36 PM)EMUGLORYDAYSthe90s Wrote:  
(03-08-2023 04:50 PM)emu steve Wrote:  After a really good first quarter, BG defensively shut down EMU in the post. Quote '79 here 'insanity is..."

2nd quarter outscored 21-2. Hard to overcome that. At least they made it to Cleveland! Good season, consider how few players they had. Is this Castros last year under contract?

Agree, although the lack of adjustment on offense was not good. EMU was feeding the post almost every trip down the court.
03-08-2023 05:44 PM
Advertisement

RamyEMU Offline
All American

70-36 in a first round exit. At least we had them in the MAC Tourney.
03-08-2023 06:10 PM
truEMU07 Offline
Special Teams

I had heard that it was his final year, but I don't know that for sure.

The injuries decimated the team this year. BUT that has also been the case for the team the past several seasons. Is that something with the coaching? The strength and conditioning? I don't have the answer.

Two things with Castro are abundantly clear:
he can absolutely recruit talent.
he is an absolutely poor in-game coach.

We've reached the peak of what we can be under him.
03-08-2023 10:32 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Yesterday was crazy for me. True "March Madness" when a bunch of sports collide and no football (not following the XFL).

First the Tigers and then BG/EMU WBB and then Howard MBB and then Washington Wizards.

Kind of a warm up for next week. Still remember March 1991. Came to Detroit for the MAC tourney and then went out west to Vegas. Saw the opening game (vs. Mississippi State) on Friday, drove that afternoon to Lake Powell (275 miles) for their marathon and then back to Vegas for the game vs. Notre Dame which propelled us to the Sweet 16.

Ah, to be young and living it. Now: Couch potato and watching other MAC teams do post season.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2023 06:03 AM by emu steve.)
03-09-2023 05:59 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(03-08-2023 10:32 PM)truEMU07 Wrote:  I had heard that it was his final year, but I don't know that for sure.

The injuries decimated the team this year. BUT that has also been the case for the team the past several seasons. Is that something with the coaching? The strength and conditioning? I don't have the answer.

We never reached any type of peak under him. Time to move on.
03-11-2023 09:12 AM
truEMU07 Offline
Special Teams

(03-11-2023 09:12 AM)emu79 Wrote:  
(03-08-2023 10:32 PM)truEMU07 Wrote:  I had heard that it was his final year, but I don't know that for sure.

We never reached any type of peak under him. Time to move on.

I just have to think that every day our adversaries in the MAC wake up and see Castro hasn't been non-renewed they breathe a sigh of relief.

He has shown he can bring in talent. Developing that talent has yet to be seen and his in-game coaching is absolutely abysmal.

If they got an actual coach that thrives in those areas, combined with the talent on the current roster, we would be a team near the top of the conference standings.
03-12-2023 11:38 AM
Advertisement

Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

Bring back Suzy Merchant - she’s available
03-13-2023 04:12 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(03-13-2023 04:12 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  Bring back Suzy Merchant - she’s available

What???

This is the story. She retired young due to health issues:

"“It is with a heavy heart that I announce I am stepping down from Michigan State University due to health reasons," Merchant said. in the release. "After much consideration and consultation with my healthcare providers, I have come to the difficult decision that it is in my best interest. I would like to extend my deepest gratitude to the entire Michigan State community, including the administration, faculty, and staff."
03-13-2023 04:35 PM
truEMU07 Offline
Special Teams

(03-13-2023 04:35 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(03-13-2023 04:12 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  Bring back Suzy Merchant - she’s available

What???

"“It is with a heavy heart that I announce I am stepping down from Michigan State University due to health reasons," Merchant said. in the release. "After much consideration and consultation with my healthcare providers, I have come to the difficult decision that it is in my best interest. I would like to extend my deepest gratitude to the entire Michigan State community, including the administration, faculty, and staff."

I know this isn't how it works, but open the door and whenever she's ready let her come back to Eastern.

She decides she is ready in December of 2023? See ya Castro.

He's terrible. She's a winner.

If she is healthy enough to do it, PLEASE bring her back.
03-13-2023 05:39 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(03-13-2023 05:39 PM)truEMU07 Wrote:  

What???

I know this isn't how it works, but open the door and whenever she's ready let her come back to Eastern.

Agree. No harm in making a phone call.
03-13-2023 06:02 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I guess, things can change.
03-13-2023 06:57 PM
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
03-15-2023 01:48 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

What???

No offense but if that were the case, wouldn't she have just taken a leave of absence and return to MSU?...I don't follow women's basketball at all but if she is having health issues, wanting her to come back to EMU in December seems kind of...selfish.
03-15-2023 06:00 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(03-08-2023 06:10 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  70-36 in a first round exit. At least we had them in the MAC Tourney.
Now THAT is a serious A$$ kicking. I think I would actually prefer NOT to make the MAC tourney than to go out there and fail to compete.
03-15-2023 06:04 AM
truEMU07 Offline
Special Teams

(03-15-2023 06:00 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  

What???

No offense but if that were the case, wouldn't she have just taken a leave of absence and return to MSU?...I don't follow women's basketball at all but if she is having health issues, wanting her to come back to EMU in December seems kind of...selfish.

Selfishly I'm sick and tired of watching Castro "coach". I gave him FIVE years to prove he can do it before getting disillusioned. The last two years have been an absolute joke.
03-15-2023 08:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.