Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

EMU MBB Announcing
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
EMU MBB Announcing
Can anyone figure out what the hell is going on there?

Since Chad was let go it has been a 'hot mess.' EMU has had more broadcast talents doing games then I have fingers and thumbs. Chad was the rock. I don't remember him missing a game while he was doing EMU MBB.

Last night Tom Helmer did the radio solo which is fine. He is good and sometimes having a second voice on set makes things worse, not better. I've heard good teams and teams which do not sound good together. There has to be as much team work and synergy doing a broadcast as on the court.

Last night the live stream was Greg and Justin Rose and a sideline reporter? What?

For reasons I do not understand more and more Sports Info talent is doing more and more games, across sports. Normally this is not the case. Normally the SID is present at games and assists, etc. but doesn't call games.

I don't know if there are reasons for the absences. Someone not available? Is EMU trying to save money?

Since Chad was let go in summer of Covid (2020) the broadcasting situation for EMU sports, other than FB, has been unsatisfactory to me.

End of soap box.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2023 03:27 AM by emu steve.)
02-22-2023 03:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu steve Online
Legend

RE: EMU MBB Announcing
Back of the soap box:

As far as Greg. I've known him probably as long as he has been in Sports Info. Streeter had one office and Steiner the other. Greg is a good guy. EMU all of his working days.

Where Greg excels is with print media and the typical duties of a SID. Big difference between producing a media guide and calling a basketball game, for example. They are very, very different. Once again, I'll refer posters to hte link for the Howard/Morgan State game (Feb 20). That team was like bread and butter. High basketball IQ and the analyst could finish the sentence for the PxP guy. It was a joy to watch and listen.

I assume most people understand that written and verbal communications are very, very different. My first federal job I got rated separately on written and verbal communications (written for me is much, much easier.). Anyone who thinks "if you can write it, you should be able to speak it" is wrong. I had to give a (small) community presentation. I had a cabinet secretary's speech writer coach me. "He uses only 15 lines per page, all caps." The rest is ease of public speaking. For some behind a podium or mike is like talking with their spouse (Chad is an excellent example). For others (me), it is like going before a judge.

And I don't think all former players, coaches, etc. are naturals behind the mike. Ben Braun is. Really enjoyed listening to him. Others are not. Still can't stand Greg Kelser.

That is why EMU should have done a better job with the broadcast side of the house (other than FB. Thankfully FB is in very good hands).

P.S. since I'm simply not picking on EMU, I can say that a lot of broadcasting I don't like. Howard produced games are poor quality. Hard to listen too. Washington Wizards they let the PxP guy go. The telecasts are worse, not better, this year. (they went for in-house hire. The guy who did sideline, etc. but isn't top tier PxP. )
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2023 04:00 AM by emu steve.)
02-22-2023 03:42 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(02-22-2023 03:21 AM)emu steve Wrote:  Can anyone figure out what the hell is going on there?

Since Chad was let go it has been a 'hot mess.' EMU has had more broadcast talents doing games then I have fingers and thumbs. Chad was the rock. I don't remember him missing a game while he was doing EMU MBB.

Last night Tom Helmer did the radio solo which is fine. He is good and sometimes having a second voice on set makes things worse, not better. I've heard good teams and teams which do not sound good together. There has to be as much team work and synergy doing a broadcast as on the court.

Last night the live stream was Greg and Justin Rose and a sideline reporter? What?

For reasons I do not understand more and more Sports Info talent is doing more and more games, across sports. Normally this is not the case. Normally the SID is present at games and assists, etc. but doesn't call games.

I don't know if there are reasons for the absences. Someone not available? Is EMU trying to save money?

Since Chad was let go in summer of Covid (2020) the broadcasting situation for EMU sports, other than FB, has been unsatisfactory to me.

End of soap box.

Gone are the days when you could listen to John F and Chad Bush and turn off the TV set. Heck there were times I would rather listen to those two than watch the game on TV. When I was a in early grade school I loved to listen to the Fort Wayne Komets of the then IHL on WOWO. I don't know who did the announcing for them but I turned in every night they had a game on. Hillard Gates did the same thing for Indiana high school basketball. Point I'm making is good broadcasting can be magic and its rare these days. The MSU football announcers drive me crazy.
02-22-2023 04:05 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

(02-22-2023 04:05 AM)emu79 Wrote:  
(02-22-2023 03:21 AM)emu steve Wrote:  Can anyone figure out what the hell is going on there?

End of soap box.

Gone are the days when you could listen to John F and Chad Bush and turn off the TV set. Heck there were times I would rather listen to those two than watch the game on TV. When I was a in early grade school I loved to listen to the Fort Wayne Komets of the then IHL on WOWO. I don't know who did the announcing for them but I turned in every night they had a game on. Hillard Gates did the same thing for Indiana high school basketball. Point I'm making is good broadcasting can be magic and its rare these days. The MSU football announcers drive me crazy.

Never agreed with you more, '79.

Listening to John Fountain was literally music to the ears. Smooth. Soft.

Ben Braun could be a really good broadcast talent if he wants another career. He has a great voice that is very easy to listen.

Not every one has a great voice (tell me about it 03-lmfao). It is more of a gift than an acquired talent.
02-22-2023 04:15 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

I'm testing my memory here, but Chad has an athletic background. Believe he played college FB at both CMU and Wayne State. His brother, Nate, also played MAC FB (think Akron). I don't remember if Chad played any sports in college besides FB. I'm thinking he knows baseball but don't know his baseball background.

He has that rare combination: very good broadcasting skills AND experience as a college athlete. For some, being a fmr. NFL QB with good broadcast skills = 7 figure pay day. :)
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2023 06:00 AM by emu steve.)
02-22-2023 05:57 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

Since I'm on my soap box this morning:

RE: Sideline reporters. Add very little in college or NBA hoops.

Where I think they are valuable, if used correctly, is football. Did an injured player have his helmet taken away? What body part was he holding? Which player may have come out of the locker room after half time without pads. Which other players are not dressed for the game?

The biggest problem for us college FB fans are injuries. There is no ESPN team site, like NBA, where one can see injuries for each team.

I'd trade a score of football game day posts for one post: "For EMU #4, 12, 30, 54, 76, and 89 do not appear to be dressed for today's game."
Otherwise, we are just guessing. And I feel like we are in the dark.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2023 06:38 AM by emu steve.)
02-22-2023 06:35 AM
Advertisement

truEMU07 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: EMU
I can't stand Justin Rose on the broadcasts. He always comes off as a know-it-all and quite frankly rarely provides any actual insights to what is going on in the game.

To me, Wooley is as good as his color analyst. Rose gets him off on random side tangents that have very little to do with the games itself and it is awful. Reggie Butler is a much better basketball mind, but still has a ways to go when it comes to his delivery. On the flip side, the game that Wooley had with Coach Braun was awesome: the best of the season and it wasn't close.

Helmer is a great listen in my opinion. He is always well-informed and I agree that he's actually better to listen to on his own (for basketball. I have no gripes at all with his rapport with Rubick during football).

As for Chad... I can't say I remember the early days super well, but for the last 5 or so years there seemed to always be an SID with him unless he brought in someone else. We had the year that the former SID that is in this message board got replaced by Matt Dery. Can't say I loved having the SIDs in the chair, BUT they were also well-informed (seeing is it is their jobs) so that added a bit more color to the broadcasts. Dery was very far from my cup of tea.
02-22-2023 10:16 AM
truEMU07 Offline
Special Teams

(02-22-2023 04:15 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(02-22-2023 04:05 AM)emu79 Wrote:  

End of soap box.

Never agreed with you more, '79.

Listening to John Fountain was literally music to the ears. Smooth. Soft.

Ben Braun could be a really good broadcast talent if he wants another career. He has a great voice that is very easy to listen.

Not every one has a great voice (tell me about it 03-lmfao). It is more of a gift than an acquired talent.

Coach Braun currently does a lot of broadcasts. Believe he was just on Westwood One radio for the Baylor / Kansas game last week.

Pretty sure he still does stuff on TV for PAC12 Network and is in a regular regional rotation for WCC games on ESPN.
02-22-2023 10:18 AM
truEMU07 Offline
Special Teams

Since graduating I've had to follow EMU through these broadcasts and the website and that's pretty much the only way (and this board, of course).

I remember pretty early on in the ESPN days that there typically seems to be a revolving door in the analyst role. Steiner did a lot of the play-by-play if I remember correctly, and Wooley has clearly become our guy in the last five years. He's not the best broadcaster in the league by any means, but he is FAR from the worst.

I remember a few years ago we had a student doing the sideline stuff and even though I don't care much for the role (as Steve mentioned, there isn't a lot added by having them in hoops), it made sense that a student would be gaining broadcast experience in that way. Dannie Rogers is really good at the sideline thing, and as a Lions fan its cool to see her doing our games... but... why? Unless she's coming and doing it for free and we're fine with giving her the reps I guess?

Overall I think we are at the top of the league as far as the overall production goes, and I know they always preach that that is a student operation. The studio halftime show is something NO ONE else does and I really love it. Truly wish something like that was around when I was in school!
02-22-2023 12:54 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

Bottom line: WEMU broadcast >`the webcast. Never made much sense to me to have Chad Bush on WEMU, rather than doing the webcast.

I realize they are very different. WEMU is not solely an athletic department endeavor. Assume different funding sources, etc.

Anyway, as far as PxP, EMU would be wise to take Tom Helmer and Chad Bush and get one on one media and the other on the other media.

The webcast is too good a media to not use your A Team. That are where the audience is.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2023 01:57 PM by emu steve.)
02-22-2023 01:13 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

To button up or put this thread (the bug up my butt) into context.

1). My issues with EMU media go back to the day Chad was not renewed. For me, no one can replace John Fountain or Chad Bush. They are in a league of their own. It's like when the Packers had to replace Vince Lombardi. Good luck to the next guy.

To me the PsP and analysts, on WEMU and the webcasts, are the face of that EMU sport. While there are many fine people, many EMU students, working behind the scene in producing the event, it is still the PxP and analyst who are the face of the broadcast.

2). The other issue I have has NOTHING to do with EMU. I find myself turn off sound, believe it or not, at some broadcast (NOT EMU). Some broadcasting across sports is mediocre. Too often they getting into rambling discussions of things not related to what is happening on the court, etc. Sometimes this is from ESPN and we'd expect better.

And, of course, when broadcasters are replaced. I've gone thru it with virtually every team I follow. Those in the media and sports don't realize that for many Ernie Harwell was more the Tigers than the Tigers' players.

3). Just want to repeat what I mentioned earlier. I've known Greg I guess as long as he has been in the SI office. No one workers harder then he does. What comes out of his shop is absolutely first rate. Both the quantity and quality of what that office produces goes far beyond what one might expect from a MAC school. Or in other terms, it is FIRST RATE. Period. No qualifiers. It is FIRST RATE. I think many here realize some of the great work, esp. for football signing day. Those media productions are first rate. I appreciate what he and those who work for and with him do.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2023 02:54 PM by emu steve.)
02-22-2023 02:51 PM
Advertisement

Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(02-22-2023 12:54 PM)truEMU07 Wrote:  Since graduating I've had to follow EMU through these broadcasts and the website and that's pretty much the only way (and this board, of course).

I remember pretty early on in the ESPN days that there typically seems to be a revolving door in the analyst role. Steiner did a lot of the play-by-play if I remember correctly, and Wooley has clearly become our guy in the last five years. He's not the best broadcaster in the league by any means, but he is FAR from the worst.

I remember a few years ago we had a student doing the sideline stuff and even though I don't care much for the role (as Steve mentioned, there isn't a lot added by having them in hoops), it made sense that a student would be gaining broadcast experience in that way. Dannie Rogers is really good at the sideline thing, and as a Lions fan its cool to see her doing our games... but... why? Unless she's coming and doing it for free and we're fine with giving her the reps I guess?

Overall I think we are at the top of the league as far as the overall production goes, and I know they always preach that that is a student operation. The studio halftime show is something NO ONE else does and I really love it. Truly wish something like that was around when I was in school!

I must admit that I very seldom listen to EMU basketball TV broadcasts because my butt is parked in a Gervin seat.

That said, the MAC broadcasts of away games are certainly less than stellar. I will never forget the Toledo "Wayne's World" crew that broadcast our game where JT4 got a little rowdy. I was expecting them to call him a "sphincter". Toledo is the gold standard of the MAC, and this is the best they can do? Please tell me we are not that bad.

As for Chad Bush, he was indeed spectacular. Probably too talented and expensive for little ole EMU and yet lacking the marquee name of a former star player that could translate to network position. Chad seems to be awfully successful in the business world, I suspect that he might be just fine picking and choosing his broadcast gigs.
02-22-2023 06:09 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

(02-22-2023 06:09 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  
(02-22-2023 12:54 PM)truEMU07 Wrote:  Since graduating I've had to follow EMU through these broadcasts and the website and that's pretty much the only way (and this board, of course).

I must admit that I very seldom listen to EMU basketball TV broadcasts because my butt is parked in a Gervin seat.

That said, the MAC broadcasts of away games are certainly less than stellar. I will never forget the Toledo "Wayne's World" crew that broadcast our game where JT4 got a little rowdy. I was expecting them to call him a "sphincter". Toledo is the gold standard of the MAC, and this is the best they can do? Please tell me we are not that bad.

As for Chad Bush, he was indeed spectacular. Probably too talented and expensive for little ole EMU and yet lacking the marquee name of a former star player that could translate to network position. Chad seems to be awfully successful in the business world, I suspect that he might be just fine picking and choosing his broadcast gigs.

I hear you although I don't think it was a salary issue. As I remember it there were things happening at the time. One was Covid. The other was finding a new FB PxP who would work with Rob. Helmer was the choice to work with Rob.

Chad's big plus, and this is a big, big plus for anyone working, is he can translate contacts into his next gig. E.g., Murphy and Motor City Cruise. Christian Spears and Marshall FB telecasts.

That speaks well of him that people who he worked with or for hire him when he became professionally available.

I'm not close enough to the Pistons (I watch all of my Wizards games thru local D.C. TV so I don't get Pistons' feeds) to know when someone might retire on TV or radio. George Blaha is getting up there.

I assume he would be a good bet when something opens on Pistons' radio. I really don't know enough about the broadcast industry to know how decisions are made between Bally and the Pistons.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2023 09:59 PM by emu steve.)
02-22-2023 09:50 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

Sorry if my comments came across as personal to Greg or his abilities. Not my intention. It was all about the decision. As I write below, broadcasting decisions can be very controversial.

For those on the younger side, I'll relive a little history from 30+ years ago.

Under Dr. Shelton EMU from the Hurons to Eagles. No one forgave him regardless of whatever else he did at EMU. It has been 30+ years and for many it was like last year. One bad decision ruined his legacy at EMU.

In 1990 the yo-yos at the Tigers fired Ernie Harwell. For those who are younger and not alive or don't remember 1990, here is an YouTube video. https://youtu.be/zcu8v8hMSYU Popular newscaster Bill Bonds took to the air with a brutal verbal against Detroit Tiger ownership and management.

The Tigers were later sold to Mike Ilitch. A "don't let the door hit you in the a*s on the way out" moment for Monaghan and Schembeckler. Iltich brought Harwell back.

There is a lesson here for university presidents, sports teams owners, managers of public facing entities (like broadcasting sporting events, TV shows, etc.). Be careful. Understand those who you deal, your stakeholders, e.g., fans, customers, viewers, alumni, etc. etc. whatever they may be. Do not underestimate the passion of fans, viewrers, alumni, etc. Ernie was more popular in Detroit than mayors, governors, presidents, corporate owners, etc. Monaghan and Schembeckler were totally clueless and out of touch with their stakeholders, the fans.

Here is a good writeup from Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernie_Harwell
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2023 06:58 AM by emu steve.)
02-23-2023 06:40 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

There are two aspects I see:

1). The overall production which is very strong. Half time, etc. EMU has worked very hard on media.

2). TO ME, the MOST important part, the PxP and analyst roles, on the WEBCASTS. As we know from the NFL, the broadcasters are stars (besides the players). They can become superstars as those who remember John Madden, Pat Summerall, etc. and more recent teams. For us Fountain and Bush have/had star power.

I'm winging it here. Playing the Miggy of broadcasting. I would have liked to see us try two PxP talents, Chad and Tom Helmer, on the webcast and see if it works. Both are the equivalent of being a PG. They need the mike (rock) in their hand. It may or may not work. I heard a Pistons game that Chad did as the analyst. Sometimes PxP and analyst work hand in glove: "Smith has 12 points and 6 boards" (PxP) "and a blocked shot and steal' (analyst).' Literally the analyst completing the PxP thoughts.

Chad is very flexible. His style isn't like a runaway train where he starts a thought and finishes it 30 seconds later. He can pull up, stop, and let the other voice take over.

I really wish EMU would re-deploy talent on basketball webcasts/radio.
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2023 05:45 AM by emu steve.)
02-25-2023 05:41 AM
KPJ Offline
1st String

Something to consider….
The radio person does home and away games. So they’re getting paid for the entire season and traveling with the team. The TV folks only do home games.
So from the broadcaster’s perspective, there are things that they have to weigh as well.
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2023 09:51 AM by KPJ.)
02-25-2023 09:50 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Online
Legend

(02-25-2023 09:50 AM)KPJ Wrote:  Something to consider….
The radio person does home and away games. So they’re getting paid for the entire season and traveling with the team. The TV folks only do home games.
So from the broadcaster’s perspective, there are things that they have to weigh as well.

You are correct. AND they are different pots of money. WEMU is a big part of the radio games.

That said, Chad, as has been reported here, has and has had his own business (I'm not talking about his latest venture at The Prep). I'd see no reason why a 'part time' broadcasting job might not work.

Also, Chad is a husband and father. Maybe a home game only job would be perfect for him. Doubt he needs his business, family life, travel, etc. etc.

My point is that EMU's two best basketball voices (since the time of John Fountain) are Chad and Tom Helmer.

I'd love to see if those two could be magic on webcast, which is where the audience is.

We had an uncomfortable situation where the radio team (Chad, et. al) was favored over the webcast team by EMU fans. Viewers would mute the webcast and sync the WEMU broadcast.

The EMU basketball media situation should have been resolved many years ago. Try to get the right personnel in the right platform.

Wouldn't it be crazy if Chad ends up with the Pistons when there is a retirement?
02-25-2023 10:38 AM
truEMU07 Offline
Special Teams

(02-25-2023 10:38 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

You are correct. AND they are different pots of money. WEMU is a big part of the radio games.

That said, Chad, as has been reported here, has and has had his own business (I'm not talking about his latest venture at The Prep). I'd see no reason why a 'part time' broadcasting job might not work.

Also, Chad is a husband and father. Maybe a home game only job would be perfect for him. Doubt he needs his business, family life, travel, etc. etc.

My point is that EMU's two best basketball voices (since the time of John Fountain) are Chad and Tom Helmer.

I'd love to see if those two could be magic on webcast, which is where the audience is.

We had an uncomfortable situation where the radio team (Chad, et. al) was favored over the webcast team by EMU fans. Viewers would mute the webcast and sync the WEMU broadcast.

The EMU basketball media situation should have been resolved many years ago. Try to get the right personnel in the right platform.

Wouldn't it be crazy if Chad ends up with the Pistons when there is a retirement?

I know I enjoyed Chad's broadcasts on the radio. The few times he did TV for EMU he seemed uncomfortable with it, but the production of a TV broadcast is different than radio. No producers / directors in your ears on the radio side... if one isn't used to it it can be tricky. Especially if you aren't getting the chance to do it regularly.

The things I LOVE when it comes to the radio announcers is that they are OUR broadcasters. The TV streams, even when run by the schools, is supposed to be as impartial as possible. That makes a huge difference.

Now, as much as I enjoyed Chad, I don't consider him in the same class as John Fountain.
02-25-2023 11:49 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

(02-25-2023 11:49 AM)truEMU07 Wrote:  
(02-25-2023 10:38 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

I know I enjoyed Chad's broadcasts on the radio. The few times he did TV for EMU he seemed uncomfortable with it, but the production of a TV broadcast is different than radio. No producers / directors in your ears on the radio side... if one isn't used to it it can be tricky. Especially if you aren't getting the chance to do it regularly.

The things I LOVE when it comes to the radio announcers is that they are OUR broadcasters. The TV streams, even when run by the schools, is supposed to be as impartial as possible. That makes a huge difference.

Now, as much as I enjoyed Chad, I don't consider him in the same class as John Fountain.

Good points. Chad is doing a lot of streaming now with the Motor City Cruise and his other webcasts.

What made John Fountain and Chad so good are their UNIQUE talents.

John could be your father or grandfather with his voice, style, etc.

Chad could be your friend. Everyone was his friend on the radio. A listener in Ohio. A former neighbor somewhere. Family member. EMU Steve in D.C. He opened up his mail box to comments from listeners. Truly unique style.
02-25-2023 12:17 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

Watching the WBB game. Ryan and Reggie are doing a real good job. Reggie is more laid back and easier to work with than some other analysts who give lectures on basketball theory and practice.

Ryan is having a good game. Ryan and Reggie are a good team. Not talking over each other, etc.

Very easy on the ears.
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2023 01:21 PM by emu steve.)
02-25-2023 01:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.