Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SBC basketball officials are awful
Bookmark and Share
Was SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mustard Buzzard
SBC basketball officials are awful
I’m sorry to start this again because I love this conference but we have to address this gosh awful officiating. I’ve seen high school games better officiated. And I’m not complaining because of the “my team’s getting hosed” bullchit. These guys are horrible all the way around. Equally bad no matter which team we’re talking about. We must do better because it could eventually hurt the conference in post season invites.
02-04-2023 04:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
RE: SBC basketball officials are awful
It has been stated that the Sun Belt does NOT have basketball officials. The point was that the SBC has the best NCAA officials it can get on Saturdays in basketball.
02-04-2023 04:27 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(02-04-2023 04:00 PM)Was SoMs Eagle Wrote:  I’m sorry to start this again because I love this conference but we have to address this gosh awful officiating. I’ve seen high school games better officiated. And I’m not complaining because of the “my team’s getting hosed” bullchit. These guys are horrible all the way around. Equally bad no matter which team we’re talking about. We must do better because it could eventually hurt the conference in post season invites.

The only way we're improving officiating on Saturday is to stop playing basketball games on Saturday's...

Top leagues will always get the best refs, period.
02-04-2023 05:03 PM
WARDAWG93 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM Warhawks
I thought the crew that did the USA/ULM game did a pretty good job.
02-04-2023 05:25 PM
warhawk09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bob
Holy **** guys. THIS IS NOT HARD. THERE ARE NO SUN BELT OFFICIALS FOR BASKETBALL.
02-04-2023 07:19 PM
Advertisement

Noodles Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
(02-04-2023 07:19 PM)warhawk09 Wrote:  Holy **** guys. THIS IS NOT HARD. THERE ARE NO SUN BELT OFFICIALS FOR BASKETBALL.

Maybe not, but they sure do suck.
02-04-2023 10:24 PM
Herd6993 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Marshall
(02-04-2023 07:19 PM)warhawk09 Wrote:  Holy **** guys. THIS IS NOT HARD. THERE ARE NO SUN BELT OFFICIALS FOR BASKETBALL.

We get it, they are from a pool that officiates the SBC, AAC, and ASUN. But we are also smart enough to know this conference doesn't pay **** for refs and most of these guys are at the bottom of the pool. They need to raise the pay, CUSA does it. You said the other day Final Four refs do SBC games, care to give me a few examples? and I am not looking for just one example, but several. I have went through box scores of several games and have not come across one single ref that has done a final four game in the last 10 years.

Tonight's Marshall/ULL game was the first game I have seen where they let the players play and were consistent on their calls. They did miss two obvious calls that benefitted Marshall, besides that they called a good game.

Like I said before, I am tickled to death for Marshall to be in this conference. But that doesn't mean we should not want better and basketball officiating is a glaring problem.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2023 02:22 AM by Herd6993.)
02-04-2023 10:54 PM
Big Buds Online
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
Since you are new I’ll let you in on a local saying in Lafayette during basketball season, “It’s a Saturday night in the Sun Belt.” Worst officiating in college basketball…this is nothing new. I agree…we are at a level that it needs to be addressed.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2023 11:12 PM by Big Buds.)
02-04-2023 11:05 PM
Sun Belt is Two Words Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Sun Belt
(02-04-2023 11:05 PM)Big Buds Wrote:  Sunbelt
02-04-2023 11:09 PM
Advertisement

Big Buds Online
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(02-04-2023 11:09 PM)Sun Belt is Two Words Wrote:  
Damn…of all people I know that too! Fixed it.
02-04-2023 11:12 PM
Was SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mustard Buzzard
I guess I would just like simple calls made. Like if a player gets out of control and jumps while holding the ball and takes half a dozen steps before awkwardly dishing the ball off call a freaking travel. Happened half a dozen times yesterday with no calls. If a player is hammered on a layup and lands on his head, it may be a foul. Just the simplest things that even high school guys usually get right.
Maybe just got to get used to it. Like you guys who have been around a while say. It’s not like they favor one team over another. You just have to be lucky that it doesn’t affect you more than them.
02-05-2023 05:05 PM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I thought last night's game between Louisiana and Marshall was really physical, especially on the perimeter. But, almost midway through the second half, neither team had shot ten free throws. Compare that with the previous Saturday when the Cajuns played Georgia Southern. The game featured 49 fouls and 72 free throws. The lack of consistency is befuddling.
02-05-2023 06:00 PM
FrankyP Offline
All American

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
(02-04-2023 11:12 PM)Big Buds Wrote:  
(02-04-2023 11:09 PM)Sun Belt is Two Words Wrote:  
Damn…of all people I know that too! Fixed it.
The one that also usually gets me, but in the opposite direction, is the Cajundome. Both the venue and the Blvd it’s located on.
02-05-2023 06:47 PM
Advertisement

FrankyP Offline
All American

(02-05-2023 06:00 PM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  I thought last night's game between Louisiana and Marshall was really physical, especially on the perimeter. But, almost midway through the second half, neither team had shot ten free throws. Compare that with the previous Saturday when the Cajuns played Georgia Southern. The game featured 49 fouls and 72 free throws. The lack of consistency is befuddling.
Yep. We said the same thing.

Also, last night’s game went pretty quickly, which also attests to the lack of fouls called.

ETA: I thought I’d check the length of games, and last night was 1:57 which is right at what our other games have been running. But it sure felt like it went by fast.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2023 06:56 PM by FrankyP.)
02-05-2023 06:50 PM
herdfifteen Offline
2nd String

I Root For: uncw
(02-05-2023 06:50 PM)FrankyP Wrote:  
(02-05-2023 06:00 PM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  I thought last night's game between Louisiana and Marshall was really physical, especially on the perimeter. But, almost midway through the second half, neither team had shot ten free throws. Compare that with the previous Saturday when the Cajuns played Georgia Southern. The game featured 49 fouls and 72 free throws. The lack of consistency is befuddling.
Yep. We said the same thing.

Also, last night’s game went pretty quickly, which also attests to the lack of fouls called.

ETA: I thought I’d check the length of games, and last night was 1:57 which is right at what our other games have been running. But it sure felt like it went by fast.
02-05-2023 07:05 PM
herdfifteen Offline
2nd String

I Root For: uncw
I was pleased that the officials allowed Marshall and Louisiana to play last night, not to many tricky tacky fouls.
02-05-2023 07:08 PM
FrankyP Offline
All American

(02-05-2023 07:08 PM)herdfifteen Wrote:  I was pleased that the officials allowed Marshall and Louisiana to play last night, not to many tricky tacky fouls.
Yeah, I can w/o fouls being called, as that was pretty much the case for both teams. But Marshall walked several times, and right in front of the refs, and nothing was called. But I think they called it on a couple of times.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2023 07:37 PM by FrankyP.)
02-05-2023 07:36 PM
Advertisement

Eagle in the gym Online
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
I love to pile on and bash refs. But we have what we have bc of the days we play. When I coached, I would tell my kids to play on. “The refs aren’t nba refs, and you aren’t nba players.” I’m sure the coaches tell the players something similar to keep them from acting out toward calls.
02-05-2023 09:43 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(02-05-2023 09:43 PM)Eagle in the gym Wrote:  I love to pile on and bash refs. But we have what we have bc of the days we play. When I coached, I would tell my kids to play on. “The refs aren’t nba refs, and you aren’t nba players.” I’m sure the coaches tell the players something similar to keep them from acting out toward calls.

Pretty much. Even if we up our pay, officiating is always going to be poor on Saturday's. That's just how it is.
02-05-2023 10:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.