Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Best Basketball Venue in the SBC?
Bookmark and Share
WARDAWG93 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM Warhawks
Best Basketball Venue in the SBC?
Thank you CatMom for putting this list together.

List your Top 3 and please explain what you like about the venues.

Appalachian State University - Holmes Center.....8,325
Arkansas State University - First National Bank Arena.....10,563
Coastal Carolina University - HTC Center.....3,600
Georgia Southern University - Hanner Fieldhouse.....4,325
Georgia State University - GSU Convocation Center.....8,000
James Madison University – Atlantic Union Bank Center.....8,500
Marshall University - Cam Henderson Center.....9,048
Old Dominion University – Chartway Arena.....8,600
Texas State University - Strahan Arena.....10,000
Troy University - Trojan Arena.....6,000
University of Louisiana - Cajundome.....12,362
University of Louisiana Monroe - Fant-Ewing Coliseum.....7,000
University of South Alabama - Mitchell Center.....10,041
University of Southern Mississippi – Reed Green Coliseum.....8,095
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2023 06:40 PM by CardinalBlackTrojan.)
02-03-2023 02:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
RE: Best Basketball Venue in the SBC?
Need to update Georgia State’s. They have moved into their new convocation center this season.
02-03-2023 02:56 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
I have heard good things about UL and USA for experience. ODU and JMU seem interesting to visit. GSU has a really nice new one and if the team is good I bet a fun atmosphere.
02-03-2023 03:02 PM
Blue_Trombone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
I look forward to a very unbiased and objective discussion
02-03-2023 03:09 PM
SkullyMaroo Online

I Root For: South Alabama
(02-03-2023 03:09 PM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  I look forward to a very unbiased and objective discussion

You’re in the wrong place for that. 03-lmfao
02-03-2023 03:11 PM
WARDAWG93 Offline
1st String

1. James Madison University – Atlantic Union Bank Center.....8,500
I've never been to it but I love the way it looks. It looks like it was built for basketball and basketball only even if it is a multi-purpose facility. The crowd is close to the court and completely encapsulates it. I'm sure when the fans get rocking in there it gets quite loud. Absolutely love the look of this facility.

2. Old Dominion University – Chartway Arena.....8,600
Very similar to JMU in terms of the reasons why I like it so much but JMU's architecture is a bit better IMHO. Other than that, Chartway is a VERY close second to AUBC.

3. ULM - Fant-Ewing Coliseum.....7,000
I have to include Fant-Ewing, not because it's my alma mater, but because I grew up in this arena. I cannot count the number of basketball camps I attended and certainly not the number of games I attended long before I was ever a student at ULM. I grew up around Lenny Fant (whose name now adorns the building), Calvin and Kenny Natt, Keith Richard, Mike Vining, Jesse Burnett, Carl Kilpatrick and so many more great players and coaches. I went shot for shot with one of the greatest free-throw shooters in the history of the SEC (Don Redden, RIP my old friend) and he beat me by one measly shot; 97 to 96 out of 100. He was going into his Sr season and I was in 8th grade. Outside of the memories, Fant-Ewing needs to be gutted and rebuilt but I had to include it.
02-03-2023 03:12 PM
Advertisement

GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
only way this works

1) dont vote for your own team's venue
2) follow a rubric based on predetermined categories
02-03-2023 03:33 PM
WARDAWG93 Offline
1st String

(02-03-2023 03:33 PM)GSUALUM17 Wrote:  only way this works

1) dont vote for your own team's venue
2) follow a rubric based on predetermined categories
I was not interested in taking a poll on this. I expect some, like me, to include their own arena for whatever reason but that's why I asked for your top 3. It doesn't really matter what your reasons are. I just want to read your opinions. I'm fine with biases in this case.
02-03-2023 03:37 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
Without too much thought
1. JMU
2. Louisiana
3. Georgia State
HM: ODU
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2023 03:40 PM by TrueBlueDrew.)
02-03-2023 03:38 PM
WARDAWG93 Offline
1st String

(02-03-2023 03:11 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  
(02-03-2023 03:09 PM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  I look forward to a very unbiased and objective discussion

You’re in the wrong place for that. 03-lmfao

But I'm looking for biased and subjective opinions in this case.
02-03-2023 03:39 PM
WARDAWG93 Offline
1st String

(02-03-2023 03:38 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  Without too much thought
1. JMU
2. Louisiana
3. Georgia State
HM: ODU
Georgia State's new facility is really nice but it has 1 aspect that I absolutely loath in a basketball facility.....that glass wall! I played in several gyms that have that and the natural lighting on one end always messed with my shot.
02-03-2023 03:43 PM
Advertisement

KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
I haven't been to any besides JMU and ODU, but I'd love to get to Georgia State's at some point and see what I think in person. I don't think any others can compete with those three, I'd be very surprised if going to them in person changed my mind. Of course it's possible though, hopefully I can see more and more eventually.

JMU is clearly a step above ODU in my opinion, but of course it's also much newer. Both are very, very good but you could even debate JMU vs UVA and I wouldn't say that's quite the case with ODU.
02-03-2023 03:49 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Years ago (obviously before the 4 newest members arrived) a poll of SBC basketball coaches was done ranking the atmosphere and facilities among other variables.
https://watchstadium.com/sun-belt-basket...9-12-2019/
02-03-2023 03:53 PM
WARDAWG93 Offline
1st String

(02-03-2023 03:49 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  I haven't been to any besides JMU and ODU, but I'd love to get to Georgia State's at some point and see what I think in person. I don't think any others can compete with those three, I'd be very surprised if going to them in person changed my mind. Of course it's possible though, hopefully I can see more and more eventually.

JMU is clearly a step above ODU in my opinion, but of course it's also much newer. Both are very, very good but you could even debate JMU vs UVA and I wouldn't say that's quite the case with ODU.
In a lot of ways, JMU and ODU are similar. The main difference I see is that you guys went with a larger upper tier that allows you to do more architecturally and, in my opinion, makes it look a lot nicer. Of course, the fact that it's much newer really helps but I do really like both.
02-03-2023 03:55 PM
WARDAWG93 Offline
1st String

(02-03-2023 02:56 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  Need to update Georgia State’s. They have moved into their new convocation center this season.
Done
02-03-2023 04:00 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(02-03-2023 03:12 PM)WARDAWG93 Wrote:  1. James Madison University – Atlantic Union Bank Center.....8,500
I've never been to it but I love the way it looks. It looks like it was built for basketball and basketball only even if it is a multi-purpose facility. The crowd is close to the court and completely encapsulates it. I'm sure when the fans get rocking in there it gets quite loud. Absolutely love the look of this facility.

2. Old Dominion University – Chartway Arena.....8,600
Very similar to JMU in terms of the reasons why I like it so much but JMU's architecture is a bit better IMHO. Other than that, Chartway is a VERY close second to AUBC.

3. ULM - Fant-Ewing Coliseum.....7,000
I have to include Fant-Ewing, not because it's my alma mater, but because I grew up in this arena. I cannot count the number of basketball camps I attended and certainly not the number of games I attended long before I was ever a student at ULM. I grew up around Lenny Fant (whose name now adorns the building), Calvin and Kenny Natt, Keith Richard, Mike Vining, Jesse Burnett, Carl Kilpatrick and so many more great players and coaches. I went shot for shot with one of the greatest free-throw shooters in the history of the SEC (Don Redden, RIP my old friend) and he beat me by one measly shot; 97 to 96 out of 100. He was going into his Sr season and I was in 8th grade. Outside of the memories, Fant-Ewing needs to be gutted and rebuilt but I had to include it.

FWIW, JMU modeled their arena very closely after ODU's. Its just 20 years newer, so Im sure its got some nicer bells and whistles and that new car smell. But to be fair, ODU has kept the Ted (Chartway Arena) very nice and frequently updates the lighting, sound etc. Its still a fantastic arena and you'd never think it was 20 years old. I haven't been to them, but based on the fact that they're brand new, I would imagine JMU, GSU would be first with ODU in as a strong third.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2023 04:35 PM by monarx.)
02-03-2023 04:33 PM
Advertisement

mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

Indeed, I'm keenly interested in who everyone thinks has the 2nd best Arena in the Belt.
02-03-2023 04:35 PM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

(02-03-2023 03:37 PM)WARDAWG93 Wrote:  I was not interested in taking a poll on this. I expect some, like me, to include their own arena for whatever reason but that's why I asked for your top 3. It doesn't really matter what your reasons are. I just want to read your opinions. I'm fine with biases in this case.
Fair enough. Other than GSU, I think JMU has the feel and look expected by the fans of this generation. ODU has a great atmosphere in a venue that satisfies everything I need in a basketball game. Out in the West, I love Troy and TXST's exterior facades and architecture that are unique to their own.

(02-03-2023 03:43 PM)WARDAWG93 Wrote:  Georgia State's new facility is really nice but it has 1 aspect that I absolutely loath in a basketball facility.....that glass wall! I played in several gyms that have that and the natural lighting on one end always messed with my shot.
It's not an issue with the custom blinds installed as shown here.
02-03-2023 04:38 PM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

also this seems appropriate

02-03-2023 04:43 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

(02-03-2023 03:55 PM)WARDAWG93 Wrote:  
(02-03-2023 03:49 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  I haven't been to any besides JMU and ODU, but I'd love to get to Georgia State's at some point and see what I think in person. I don't think any others can compete with those three, I'd be very surprised if going to them in person changed my mind. Of course it's possible though, hopefully I can see more and more eventually.

In a lot of ways, JMU and ODU are similar. The main difference I see is that you guys went with a larger upper tier that allows you to do more architecturally and, in my opinion, makes it look a lot nicer. Of course, the fact that it's much newer really helps but I do really like both.

Looking at them side to side JMU's looks a lot larger due to that second level but the seating is pretty similar. ODU has a single level of seating ringed by suites and club seating at the top, we definitely take them in that category. I'm guessing that JMU's arena is higher and steeper thus there's not as many seats on that first level.

Haven't been in person yet. Wish the game was on Saturday, I might make the trip as it's much closer to me than Norfolk and my parents live outside Harrisonburg.

[Image: DXII0006-2.jpg]

[Image: James-Madison-University-Atlantic-Union-...806938.jpg]
02-03-2023 04:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread:

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.