Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Men's Basketball Team Power Rankings (Jan 30th)
Bookmark and Share
Eagleholic Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
MyBB Men's Basketball Team Power Rankings (Jan 30th)
Louisiana 8-2... 2 of their next 3 games are hosting Marshall and at Southern Miss.
Southern Miss 8-2

Marshall 7-3... 2 tough road games for Marshall this week

JMU 6-4... next 3 games are vs other middle of the pack (6-4 or 5-5) teams
ULM 6-4... back at home this week with opportunity to win 2
App State 6-4...2 wins this week with Marshall and JMU at home would put them in double bye territory

Troy 5-5...this may be make or break week for the Trojans with 2 tough games at home
Georgia Southern 5-5
ODU 5-5... 2 home games vs JMU and GA Southern offer a big opportunity to move up in the standings this week

Texas State 4-6... tough week @ UL and @ Troy
Coastal Carolina 4-6

South AL 3-5

Georgia State 2-8

Ark State 1-9... will the coach make it through the season?
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2023 12:43 PM by Eagleholic.)
01-30-2023 12:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CW Fishman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ragin Cajuns
RE: Men's Basketball Team Power Rankings (Jan 30th)
(01-30-2023 12:38 PM)Eagleholic Wrote:  Louisiana 8-2... 2 of their next 3 games are hosting Marshall and at Southern Miss.
Southern Miss 8-2

App State 6-4...2 wins this week with Marshall and JMU at home would put them in double bye territory

Troy 5-5...this may be make or break week for the Trojans with 2 tough games at home
Georgia Southern 5-5
ODU 5-5... 2 home games vs JMU and GA Southern offer a big opportunity to move up in the standings this week

Coastal Carolina 4-6

South AL 3-5

Georgia State 2-8

The next 2 weeks are huge for UL, USM and Marshall. A lot should be sorted out when all is said and done. For now, I kind of agree with your assessment. only because the Cajuns have the tiebreaker against USM with a home win, but next week's game at Hattiesburg will be huge, (if the Cajuns can somehow win 2 this week.) That said, beating Marshall will be very difficult, even at home. I hope the Cajuns don't get caught looking ahead to the Marshall game on Thursday against Texas State.

This is a fun time of the year.02-13-banana
01-30-2023 01:36 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies
(01-30-2023 01:36 PM)CW Fishman Wrote:  
(01-30-2023 12:38 PM)Eagleholic Wrote:  Louisiana 8-2... 2 of their next 3 games are hosting Marshall and at Southern Miss.
Southern Miss 8-2

Georgia Southern 5-5

Coastal Carolina 4-6

South AL 3-5

Georgia State 2-8

The next 2 weeks are huge for UL, USM and Marshall. A lot should be sorted out when all is said and done. For now, I kind of agree with your assessment. only because the Cajuns have the tiebreaker against USM with a home win, but next week's game at Hattiesburg will be huge, (if the Cajuns can somehow win 2 this week.) That said, beating Marshall will be very difficult, even at home. I hope the Cajuns don't get caught looking ahead to the Marshall game on Thursday against Texas State.

This is a fun time of the year.02-13-banana

Need you to beat USM and lose to us. Then we can all be on the same tier again but we'd have the head to head vs both. :)
01-30-2023 02:40 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
I'm going with:

1. Southern Miss
2. Louisiana
3. JMU
4. Marshall
5. ULM
6. App State
7. ODUh
8. Georgia Southern
9. Troy
10. TXST
11. Coastal
12. USA
13. Georgia State
14. stAte

Southern Miss is tough to knock out of the top spot until they lose again, you could obviously make an argument for Louisiana though. In the what have you done lately category, you could look at their first half vs GS as something to worry about or their 64-38 second half as why they should be #1. Plus they smoked Troy on Thursday... For now #2, let's see how this week goes.

Hoping this week is a sign JMU is getting some consistency going. Able to go 2-0 with Molson going cold offensively, Sule out, no play from XB(don't know why), and very limited minutes from Strickland. Get our depth back and I think we'll keep climbing, for now though we had a 2-0 week while Marshall dropped one to a team that then headed to Harrisonburg and lost by double digits. Marshall bounced back strong, but this week I think JMU looked like a team that'll complete the sweep when Marshall comes to the AUBC.

Troy is the bottom 8 team I've gotta mention, I feel weird putting them so low after what I thought of them not very long ago, but power rankings are a lot of what have you done lately and man what a terrible week for the Trojans. Just absolutely dominated start to finish by Louisiana, and then a 17 point loss to now 3-7 USA. Ouch, I was closer to putting them below a 4-6 team or two than to putting them above another 5-5.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2023 02:49 PM by KickItToScotty.)
01-30-2023 02:41 PM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Injuries are catching up to Troy.
01-30-2023 02:49 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I honestly believe that JMU could defeat, or be defeated by, anyone in the league, depending on which team shows up.
Stringing 3, well played games together in a row during the conference tournament will be tough on us.
01-30-2023 07:13 PM
Advertisement

JTApps1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
(01-30-2023 07:13 PM)olddawg Wrote:  I honestly believe that JMU could defeat, or be defeated by, anyone in the league, depending on which team shows up.
Stringing 3, well played games together in a row during the conference tournament will be tough on us.

That goes for most teams in the league. The conference tournament is shaping up to be very entertaining!
01-30-2023 07:33 PM
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
Based on the eye test:

1. Marshall
2. Louisiana
3. Southern Miss
4. App State
5. JMU
6. ULM
7. Troy
8. ODU
9. Ga Southern
10. Coastal Carolina
11. Texas State
12. Ga State
13. South Alabama
14. Ark State
01-31-2023 01:05 AM
MUther Offline
Heisman

CrappiesCrappies
(01-31-2023 01:05 AM)TTT Wrote:  Based on the eye test:

1. Marshall
2. Louisiana
3. Southern Miss
4. App State
5. JMU
6. ULM
7. Troy
8. ODU
9. Ga Southern
10. Coastal Carolina
11. Texas State
12. Ga State
13. South Alabama
14. Ark State

If we had any power it was lost at home vs ULM. That is not an indictment of ULM, but of the inconsistency of Marshall and our insane ability to fix one problem and create another. If we don't get a bye then we are done. We have no bench points to add to any game we are struggling in beyond 6-7 players.
01-31-2023 05:15 AM
Stat Geek Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
This conference has been wacky this year with any team beating or losing to any team. I would say the top 6-8 teams are fairly evenly matched and none of them are a real dominate team. Winner will likely come from the top 4 though.

This is ODUs first year in the conference but my thoughts are the referees in basketball have been pretty bad. Its like they let everything go for 39 minutes of the game and then you cannot breathe on a player in the last minute. Several game changing calls at the end of games.

Having said that:

Marshall- they probably have the highest high. Inconsistent and no depth at all, but is probably the conference best.

Louisiana- On a massive run right now after losing the first 2 conference games. Best offense in the conference.

Southern Miss- one of the most balanced teams in the conference even if they cannot shoot from 3.

JMU- Hard to figure out this team. Blown out by Southern Miss and bad losses at home.

I would call this tier 1

ODU- They haven't been healthy over the past 3 weeks missing 3 starters at times. Gutted out two away wins despite the injuries. They are inconsistent because they cant defend and have some terrible home losses. Assuming health, they can challenge anyone.

App State
Troy
South Alabama

I would call those 4 tier 2.

Texas State
Georgia Southern
Georgia State
Coastal
UL Monroe

That would be my 3rd tier

Arkansas State
01-31-2023 10:23 AM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

Eyeball test...not looking at conference record, road wins or head to head matchups.

Louisiana
Southern Miss
JMU
Marshall
ULM
App State
Georgia Southern
Troy
ODU
Texas State
South Alabama
Coastal Carolina
stAte
Georgia Southern
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2023 04:14 PM by rileylives.)
01-31-2023 04:13 PM
Advertisement

sdcritter Online
All American

I Root For: stAte
(01-30-2023 12:38 PM)Eagleholic Wrote:  Ark State 1-9... will the coach make it through the season?

He will not only make it, he might be back next year. Our forum is full of people saying the athletic department and the foundation are broke. I have no idea if it's true but if that is really the case there won't be any buyout money on that contract even if it is halved down to about $187,000. State appears to be really screwed right now.
01-31-2023 04:15 PM
Eagleholic Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(01-31-2023 04:15 PM)sdcritter Wrote:  
(01-30-2023 12:38 PM)Eagleholic Wrote:  Ark State 1-9... will the coach make it through the season?

He will not only make it, he might be back next year. Our forum is full of people saying the athletic department and the foundation are broke. I have no idea if it's true but if that is really the case there won't be any buyout money on that contract even if it is halved down to about $187,000. State appears to be really screwed right now.

That's very similar to the situation that Southern Miss was in at the end of last basketball season. Our move to the Sun Belt is possibly the only reason that Ladner made it to this season, but most of the Golden Eagle fans are certainly glad that it worked out the way it did.
01-31-2023 04:30 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

(01-31-2023 04:30 PM)Eagleholic Wrote:  

That's very similar to the situation that Southern Miss was in at the end of last basketball season. Our move to the Sun Belt is possibly the only reason that Ladner made it to this season, but most of the Golden Eagle fans are certainly glad that it worked out the way it did.

Yeah, I'd imagine most of us have been there done that at some point in some sport. We held on to Lou Rowe after his first three seasons were 10-23/7-11, 10-22/6-12, and 14-19/6-12. Once we moved on though we upped the pay significantly and it seems to have gone pretty well at least, maybe we'll be able to say it's gone very well in a little over a month.

Baseball we're there right now, literally no one wanted to see Ikenberry back this year. He is though, presumably because JMU doesn't want to fork out an increase in baseball coach salary this year on top of dealing with all the other changes and increased expenses with the FBS move.

Just sucks to see stAte struggling so hard in all three of football, MBB, WBB at the same time. Looks like 2022 was rough for baseball too. I'll sure be rooting for them to get things turned around soon. stAte fans deserve better, it's not like they're ODU or App fans 05-stirthepot
01-31-2023 08:38 PM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
(01-31-2023 08:38 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  
(01-31-2023 04:30 PM)Eagleholic Wrote:  

Yeah, I'd imagine most of us have been there done that at some point in some sport. We held on to Lou Rowe after his first three seasons were 10-23/7-11, 10-22/6-12, and 14-19/6-12. Once we moved on though we upped the pay significantly and it seems to have gone pretty well at least, maybe we'll be able to say it's gone very well in a little over a month.

Baseball we're there right now, literally no one wanted to see Ikenberry back this year. He is though, presumably because JMU doesn't want to fork out an increase in baseball coach salary this year on top of dealing with all the other changes and increased expenses with the FBS move.

Just sucks to see stAte struggling so hard in all three of football, MBB, WBB at the same time. Looks like 2022 was rough for baseball too. I'll sure be rooting for them to get things turned around soon. stAte fans deserve better, it's not like they're JMU, ODU, or App fans 05-stirthepot

FIFY 04-cheers
01-31-2023 10:28 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-31-2023 01:05 AM)TTT Wrote:  Based on the eye test:

1. Marshall
2. Louisiana
3. Southern Miss
4. App State
5. JMU
6. ULM
7. Troy
8. ODU
9. Ga Southern
10. Coastal Carolina
11. Texas State
12. Ga State
13. South Alabama
14. Ark State

When was the last time you were examined by an optometrist? 04-cheers
02-01-2023 05:24 AM
Advertisement

TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(01-31-2023 04:13 PM)rileylives Wrote:  Eyeball test...not looking at conference record, road wins or head to head matchups.

Louisiana
Southern Miss
JMU
Marshall
ULM
App State
Georgia Southern
Troy
ODU
Texas State
South Alabama
Coastal Carolina
stAte
Georgia Southern

Crazy to be both a middle of the pack team and the worst
02-01-2023 08:33 AM
FrankyP Online
All American

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
(02-01-2023 08:33 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  
(01-31-2023 04:13 PM)rileylives Wrote:  Eyeball test...not looking at conference record, road wins or head to head matchups.

Louisiana
Southern Miss
JMU
Marshall
ULM
App State
Georgia Southern
Troy
ODU
Texas State
South Alabama
Coastal Carolina
stAte
Georgia Southern

No joke. Almost as crazy as having Marshall as #1. Almost, but not quite.
02-01-2023 04:54 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

(02-01-2023 04:54 PM)FrankyP Wrote:  
(02-01-2023 08:33 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  

Louisiana
Southern Miss
JMU
Marshall
ULM
App State
Georgia Southern
Troy
ODU
Texas State
South Alabama
Coastal Carolina
stAte
Georgia Southern

No joke. Almost as crazy as having Marshall as #1. Almost, but not quite.

Now you're starting to sound like I did last week... Are you up for a a fun picture sig bet? The loser of Saturday's game has to sticky an image of the others choosing?
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2023 06:28 PM by rileylives.)
02-01-2023 06:26 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

Have the picture up below your name for a week?
02-01-2023 06:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.