UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dane Brueglers Top 15 by position-NFL Draft
linus Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Dane Brueglers Top 15 by position-NFL Draft
McBride only Blazer in top 15 at any position.(#11). This is where Dilfer has to make a difference-quality of player. Otherwise we are capped. (Yes I am Mr. Obvious)
01-24-2023 03:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jaymay2525 Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Dane Brueglers Top 15 by position-NFL Draft
If Mcbride winds up #11 RB off board, he is going to really wish he returned to UAB
01-24-2023 03:18 PM
DuelingDragon Online
All American

I Root For: UAB
I think he will go 5th or 6th round
01-24-2023 03:35 PM
jaymay2525 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Then he should have returned. I know earlier he was in the 3rd to 4th rounds
01-24-2023 03:37 PM
Advertisement

uab278 Offline
All American

Honestly, I think he made the right decision. Running backs have a limited shelf life. He was the best rusher in the conference. If he gets a combine invite he could go earlier. I think he makes the team that drafts him.
01-24-2023 03:44 PM
Golden-Ticket Offline
1st String

I don’t think returning would have helped any. New staff, a more limited role, no way possible he puts up better stats, and the OL is going to be all new. If he came back he’d tank
01-24-2023 03:52 PM
linus Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Seems like if you aren’t top 3 RB you’ll be lucky to go before 4th round. The Shannahans have convinced the league you can find a winning back in round 6.

The sooner you get in and and finish you’re rookie contract the sooner you can make decent money

(01-24-2023 03:44 PM)uab278 Wrote:  Honestly, I think he made the right decision. Running backs have a limited shelf life. He was the best rusher in the conference. If he gets a combine invite he could go earlier. I think he makes the team that drafts him.
01-24-2023 04:22 PM
Advertisement

blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
The faults I see but it could be that they aren't as BV just never really utilized him in that role, is blocking & receiving. He can work on those before Pro Day/draft to show those talents. I agree he will probably be a late draftee or FA signee as that's pretty much where all our players end up most often.
01-24-2023 06:30 PM
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

(01-24-2023 03:37 PM)jaymay2525 Wrote:  Then he should have returned. I know earlier he was in the 3rd to 4th rounds

What round would the #11 RB taken typically land in? 6th or 7th, maybe? I have no idea.
01-24-2023 06:49 PM
DuelingDragon Online
All American

Depends on so many things going on in the draft. Last year, the 11th RB drafted took place in the 4th round. In 2021, the 11th RB wasn’t taken until the 6th.
01-24-2023 07:06 PM
Advertisement

DuelingDragon Online
All American

The thing with the draft, everybody in the league loves you until after the all star games. After that, they are all looking to pick you apart to downgrade your value and find reasons NOT to draft a player. In analyzing Debo's game, they will probably say:

1) Can't block.
2) Fumbles too much
3) No catches. Not that he can't catch, but we don't know he *can* either. Not spending a premium pick (1st three rounds) on a guy I can't play on 3rd down.
4) Decent but not enough speed to separate from defenders.
5) YAC is excellent vs. C-USA but isn't anything special in the few games he played against SEC teams.
6) Lots of mileage.

To me that adds up to trying to steal him in the 5th or 6th round. Not sure any teams would bite before the 5th unless he wows them at pro day/combine.

I think he will be a solid pro, just sorta think every team will start tearing apart his weaknesses to try to drive down his value to get a bargain. They do this to almost all running backs.
01-24-2023 07:15 PM
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

(01-24-2023 07:15 PM)DuelingDragon Wrote:  The thing with the draft, everybody in the league loves you until after the all star games. After that, they are all looking to pick you apart to downgrade your value and find reasons NOT to draft a player. In analyzing Debo's game, they will probably say:

1) Can't block.
2) Fumbles too much
3) No catches. Not that he can't catch, but we don't know he *can* either. Not spending a premium pick (1st three rounds) on a guy I can't play on 3rd down.
4) Decent but not enough speed to separate from defenders.
5) YAC is excellent vs. C-USA but isn't anything special in the few games he played against SEC teams.
6) Lots of mileage.

To me that adds up to trying to steal him in the 5th or 6th round. Not sure any teams would bite before the 5th unless he wows them at pro day/combine.

I think he will be a solid pro, just sorta think every team will start tearing apart his weaknesses to try to drive down his value to get a bargain. They do this to almost all running backs.

Thanks, that is a great explanation! Being a non-factor in the LSU game probably did not help either.
01-24-2023 07:25 PM
Marathon Blazer Online
Heisman

(01-24-2023 03:18 PM)jaymay2525 Wrote:  If Mcbride winds up #11 RB off board, he is going to really wish he returned to UAB

I don’t know. Selfishly, I was hoping he’d be back. However, it’d be hard to duplicate the year he had last year, especially behind a brand new OL. I thought the smart thing for him would have been to transfer to a team that would have an experienced line & needing a RB.
01-24-2023 07:42 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
Most NFL teams don't have a 3 down back these days. Even the guys capable of doing it, don't do it near 100% of the time.(the Giants were throwing Matt Breida out there in the playoffs) I think ultimately 3 things will hold him back; his fumbling, his breakaway speed, and his blocking. He could have tried to show improvement in all 3 of those aspects by coming back, but there is no guarantee he would have done so in any of them. If his fumbles continued at a similar pace and he had fewer rushing yards in a tougher conference, he would likely drop out of the draft altogether. I think he made the right decision, but his NFL career is likely going to be limited unless these things change.
01-25-2023 09:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.