Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If someone hasn’t seen “We are Marshall”, it is on now on the….
Bookmark and Share
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
If someone hasn’t seen “We are Marshall”, it is on now on the….
FX channel…
01-16-2023 09:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bulldogtrojan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Troy Trojans
RE: If someone hasn’t seen “We are Marshall”, it is on now on the….
I re-watched it a couple of weekends ago. Such a good movie. I remember hearing about it at the time but was too young to really understand the implications. Interesting fact - in the scene at the beginning when the team is on the plane - one of the actors is a former Troy student. Bobby Jon Drinkard.
01-16-2023 03:56 PM
Big Buds Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
Great movie! Watched it for the first time in ‘21 when it was obvious they were headed to the SBC.
01-16-2023 07:09 PM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
A few facts:

They didn’t find a playbook. They found a soph OL wallet confirming it was the MU plane and not an eastern airlines flight expected nearly at the same time.

The “We Are….Marshall” never happened.

The cemetery scene was spot on.

The final play in the movie was a different one than the actual called play.
01-17-2023 12:14 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
If you zoom in on my profile pic, that is the actual final play.

A work of art if you ask me. You can just see the weight lifted off the Marshall players. A lot of emotion
01-17-2023 10:37 PM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
(01-17-2023 10:37 PM)rileylives Wrote:  If you zoom in on my profile pic, that is the actual final play.

A work of art if you ask me. You can just see the weight lifted off the Marshall players. A lot of emotion

Major adrenaline dump!
01-17-2023 10:59 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(01-17-2023 12:14 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  A few facts:

They didn’t find a playbook. They found a soph OL wallet confirming it was the MU plane and not an eastern airlines flight expected nearly at the same time.

Strange question, but there were no survivors of the crash, so how does anyone really know if the "We Are" thing happened? Knowledge of how the team had handled previous flights or something?

Not flaming, just inherently curious.
01-18-2023 12:03 AM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
Wasn't the big "We Are" moment in the movie at a memorial after the crash? I haven't seen it in a while.
01-18-2023 12:39 AM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
(01-18-2023 12:39 AM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  Wasn't the big "We Are" moment in the movie at a memorial after the crash? I haven't seen it in a while.
They also used it at the end when Marshall won their first home game after the restart of the program. They had the crowd doing it.

FWIW - I do remember when it happened and I saw the movie in the theater when it came out. I've watched it once on "TV" since then but can't watch it again. It's heartbreaking.
01-18-2023 01:17 AM
MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies
(01-18-2023 12:03 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Strange question, but there were no survivors of the crash, so how does anyone really know if the "We Are" thing happened? Knowledge of how the team had handled previous flights or something?

He's referring to everyone chanting that outside of the window during the board meeting. The We are... thing wasn't adopted till much later by fans, etc. It makes a good story but the truth is we just didn't do that back then. I think it started in the 90s when we started winning playoff games and national championships. I don't remember ever hearing the chant in the 80s. Once we began winning a lot of football all the time, we were looking for an identity and that became it. And smartly, the school used it in all their commercials around the time the movie came out with a huge we are Marshall advertising campaign. But it wasn't a thing in 1970 afaik.
01-18-2023 01:44 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
It's a really good movie..

But the movie took a toll on Matthew McConaughey.. After traveling back in time and helping Marshall get football back, he ended up in Texas 6 years later in a movie called Dazed and Confused hanging with Randy 'Pink' Floyd.

In all seriousness.. Good movie. I know there was some Hollywood-ing in the movie for the story, but I can't imagine a place getting hit that hard and coming back.
01-18-2023 07:16 AM
Advertisement

GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
(01-18-2023 07:16 AM)gdunn Wrote:  It's a really good movie..

But the movie took a toll on Matthew McConaughey.. After traveling back in time and helping Marshall get football back, he ended up in Texas 6 years later in a movie called Dazed and Confused hanging with Randy 'Pink' Floyd.

In all seriousness.. Good movie. I know there was some Hollywood-ing in the movie for the story, but I can't imagine a place getting hit that hard and coming back.

Yeah there are still a lot of untold stories associated with all of that. Personal family stories that never get told in the media. My parent's generation still really struggle with it.

My Father In-law was in the National Guard at the time and when it happened they were called to the airport to create a human barrier to keep the families and friends and everyone else from running into the woods towards the wreckage. He teared up and didn't tell me much more than that. My wife wanted to be a Marshall Cheerleader but he forbid it because he didn't want her to fly into that airport.
01-18-2023 07:59 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
From what I understand, according to my MIL who had friends at Marshall at that time, it wasn't just the team on the plane there were several prominent business men and their second in command flying. That in it were enough to make a major impact.
01-18-2023 08:21 AM
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
(01-18-2023 08:21 AM)gdunn Wrote:  From what I understand, according to my MIL who had friends at Marshall at that time, it wasn't just the team on the plane there were several prominent business men and their second in command flying. That in it were enough to make a major impact.

Yes, 20 or so local business owners, Doctors, fans etc.
01-18-2023 09:03 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(01-18-2023 09:03 AM)GreenBison Wrote:  
(01-18-2023 08:21 AM)gdunn Wrote:  From what I understand, according to my MIL who had friends at Marshall at that time, it wasn't just the team on the plane there were several prominent business men and their second in command flying. That in it were enough to make a major impact.

Yes, 20 or so local business owners, Doctors, fans etc.

That was it.
01-18-2023 09:28 AM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards

compare/contrast ... both movies are iconic in their own way...

01-18-2023 09:48 AM
Advertisement

Flat Tire 2 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(01-18-2023 01:44 AM)MUther Wrote:  
(01-18-2023 12:03 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

He's referring to everyone chanting that outside of the window during the board meeting. The We are... thing wasn't adopted till much later by fans, etc. It makes a good story but the truth is we just didn't do that back then. I think it started in the 90s when we started winning playoff games and national championships. I don't remember ever hearing the chant in the 80s. Once we began winning a lot of football all the time, we were looking for an identity and that became it. And smartly, the school used it in all their commercials around the time the movie came out with a huge we are Marshall advertising campaign. But it wasn't a thing in 1970 afaik.

To further clarify, the scene outside the board meeting never happened. Some floated the idea of dropping football, but it was never was taken seriously. Artistic license was taken with the movie.
01-18-2023 10:57 AM
Flat Tire 2 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(01-18-2023 07:59 AM)GreenBison Wrote:  

Yeah there are still a lot of untold stories associated with all of that. Personal family stories that never get told in the media. My parent's generation still really struggle with it.

My Father In-law was in the National Guard at the time and when it happened they were called to the airport to create a human barrier to keep the families and friends and everyone else from running into the woods towards the wreckage. He teared up and didn't tell me much more than that. My wife wanted to be a Marshall Cheerleader but he forbid it because he didn't want her to fly into that airport.

There was a problem with people wanting to see the wreckage, like people slowing down to look at a car wreck. It took time to recover the bodies and the crash site needed to be viewed by the NTSB. They did catch a one person trying to take a piece of the wreckage, sick person. Most of the bodies were burned beyond recognition.
01-18-2023 11:22 AM
Goherd73 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
There were 64 children who became orphans that night, losing one or both parents.
01-18-2023 01:40 PM
Flat Tire 2 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(01-18-2023 01:40 PM)Goherd73 Wrote:  There were 64 children who became orphans that night, losing one or both parents.

Technically I think 18 children became orphans due to losing both parents. I had a four close friends who lost both of their parents in the crash, the parents were boosters on the plane. Wiki says that 70 children lost at least one parent, but I thought it was 59 children who lost at least one parent. The ages of the children who lost a parent or became an orphan was less than a year old to college age. I know of one child who was born after the crash losing one parent.
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2023 02:15 PM by Flat Tire 2.)
01-18-2023 02:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.