Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mountain West Conference Expansion
Bookmark and Share
AllBronco Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WMU
Mountain West Conference Expansion
If the MWC were to expand, would they raid the MVFC or the Big Sky? It seems Montana and Montana State are very respectable and a perfect geographic fit.

Opinions???
12-15-2022 11:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron
RE: Mountain West Conference Expansion
The PAC-12 just lost two teams to the Big 10. If the Big 12 takes another 4, I think you'd see the MWC and PAC-12 merge
12-15-2022 11:25 AM
UVA_guy81 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UVA, WKU
(12-15-2022 11:09 AM)AllBronco Wrote:  If the MWC were to expand, would they raid the MVFC or the Big Sky? It seems Montana and Montana State are very respectable and a perfect geographic fit.

Opinions???

I can see them possibly trying to get UTEP and try to get into Texas. As for another team, one of those Montana teams would be a possibility.
12-15-2022 11:25 AM
Advertisement

THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
There really aren't many really good options. Montana said they'll stay put. Idaho has tried and failed and I doubt they'd try again (but perhaps they would in the MWC). Weber State has the potential facilities (17K+ stadium and 26K+ enrollment) until you look at their budget ($14+MM). I'm pretty sure UTEP would grab that life line in a hot flash. NMSU also, but would the Lobos try to block them? UNA??? Facilities.

Idk what their solution would be?
12-15-2022 07:41 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
UTEP is very isolated and not a priority of the Texas higher education system. All the conference moving about is bad for college sports. It destroys local and regional rivalries and causes far longer travel times, higher costs, and missed classes for student-athletes, while fans don't have the option of reasonable road trips. I think a far better compromise would be to have a regional season and a "conference season".
12-16-2022 01:46 AM
Advertisement

GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
(12-16-2022 01:46 AM)pono Wrote:  UTEP is very isolated and not a priority of the Texas higher education system. All the conference moving about is bad for college sports. It destroys local and regional rivalries and causes far longer travel times, higher costs, and missed classes for student-athletes, while fans don't have the option of reasonable road trips. I think a far better compromise would be to have a regional season and a "conference season".

This is what killed CUSA and will eventually kill the AAC. The SBC and the MAC have it right.
12-16-2022 08:36 AM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Texas-El Paso wouldn't be a bad addition for the Mountain West given the options. I suppose if the Mountain West needed two schools they could bring UTEP back and add New Mexico State as a travel partner. Or perhaps they could take Idaho, if Idaho wanted to try FBS again.

Or, perhaps North Dakota State would be the way to go. Not as geographically favorable, but a great program.
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2022 09:56 AM by Schadenfreude.)
12-16-2022 09:56 AM
Advertisement

pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
I realize the OP says "if" but ... the MWC isn't going to do anything until the Pac-10 (?) dust settles, and then maybe after the next round of realignment. The MAC and SBC are in a similar boat ... why do anything with all the uncertainty? Build on what we have and improve when/if possible.
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2022 12:08 PM by pvk75.)
12-16-2022 12:05 PM
AllBronco Offline
Special Teams

(12-15-2022 07:41 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  There really aren't many really good options. Montana said they'll stay put. Idaho has tried and failed and I doubt they'd try again (but perhaps they would in the MWC). Weber State has the potential facilities (17K+ stadium and 26K+ enrollment) until you look at their budget ($14+MM). I'm pretty sure UTEP would grab that life line in a hot flash. NMSU also, but would the Lobos try to block them? UNA??? Facilities.

Just thought Montana facilities look better than most FCS programs.
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2022 12:31 PM by AllBronco.)
12-16-2022 12:30 PM
Advertisement

AllBronco Offline
Special Teams

(12-16-2022 12:05 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  I realize the OP says "if" but ... the MWC isn't going to do anything until the Pac-10 (?) dust settles, and then maybe after the next round of realignment. The MAC and SBC are in a similar boat ... why do anything with all the uncertainty? Build on what we have and improve when/if possible.

I think your right.
12-16-2022 12:33 PM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
(12-16-2022 12:30 PM)AllBronco Wrote:  
(12-15-2022 07:41 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  There really aren't many really good options. Montana said they'll stay put. Idaho has tried and failed and I doubt they'd try again (but perhaps they would in the MWC). Weber State has the potential facilities (17K+ stadium and 26K+ enrollment) until you look at their budget ($14+MM). I'm pretty sure UTEP would grab that life line in a hot flash. NMSU also, but would the Lobos try to block them? UNA??? Facilities.

Just thought Montana facilities look better than most FCS programs.

I agree 100%, but evidently they said they were staying in the Big Sky. That might change if an actual MWC invite came to them in the mail.
12-17-2022 03:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.