Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Mike Leach
Bookmark and Share
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
OT: Mike Leach
My coaching hero Mike Leach had a heart attack this afternoon. Only 61. He is in dire condition. Please say a brief prayer for him and his family if you are so inclined.

He revolutionized the game, both at the college and pro level. His coaching tree is more like a coaching forest. His influence is felt in innumerable ways. I was always hoping that one day someone from that forest would end up coaching here.
12-12-2022 12:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
RE: OT: Mike Leach
61 is young. Mike Leach, I believe, is a very high strung invidual. I'm trying to remember if he has had health problems in the past.

Praying for the best. As always, social media can be way, way off (with some dark rumors). He definitely has a serious issue, but how critical is not known.

If he survives but unable to resume coaching, we have another crazy 'coaching carousel' move (serious of moves) coming.
12-12-2022 06:43 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Massive heart attack.
12-12-2022 02:34 PM
EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's Offline
1st String

I Root For: E MICH
[quote='emu steve' pid='18661916' dateline='1670873653']
Massive heart attack.
It appears he passed away tonight! He was a great brilliant man! He taught college classes, and obviously coached football! Class act!
12-12-2022 07:51 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
Gosh what an entertaining and refreshing approach to coaching football! WE WILL MISS HIM!
12-12-2022 07:54 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

(12-12-2022 07:51 PM)EMUGLORYDAYSthe90s Wrote:  [quote='emu steve' pid='18661916' dateline='1670873653']
Massive heart attack.
It appears he passed away tonight! He was a great brilliant man! He taught college classes, and obviously coached football! Class act!

Is this true OR an erroneous rumor???? I haven 't seen it confirmed. Here is ONE erroneous report.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/colleg...ttack.html
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2022 09:57 PM by emu steve.)
12-12-2022 09:25 PM
dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
12-13-2022 09:13 AM
cidbearit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MSU
I had the chance to meet him when he was trying to recruit Alex to Washington State. He was a real character but didn't really click for Alex nor me. After his official visit and meeting Coach Leach, Alex immediately said WSU was not the place for him. That said, Leach accomplished a lot as a coach and deserves all the respect and accolades that are sure to be shared over the next several days. 61 is too young...just a year older than me.
12-13-2022 10:05 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(12-13-2022 10:05 AM)cidbearit Wrote:  I had the chance to meet him when he was trying to recruit Alex to Washington State. He was a real character but didn't really click for Alex nor me. After his official visit and meeting Coach Leach, Alex immediately said WSU was not the place for him. That said, Leach accomplished a lot as a coach and deserves all the respect and accolades that are sure to be shared over the next several days. 61 is too young...just a year older than me.

I feel like I'm living on borrowed time. 03-lmfao

I'll repeat what I've posted before. There are many, many tests which someone who is eligible to join AARP or in a high stress occupation to assess coronary disease.

I don't think coronaries 'just happen.' Bet there are warning signs.

If the problem was clogged arteries, the 5 arteries which go to/from the heart, they can be radiologically evaluated... One artery is called 'the widow maker." 03-idea
12-13-2022 10:26 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

(12-13-2022 10:05 AM)cidbearit Wrote:  I had the chance to meet him when he was trying to recruit Alex to Washington State. He was a real character but didn't really click for Alex nor me. After his official visit and meeting Coach Leach, Alex immediately said WSU was not the place for him. That said, Leach accomplished a lot as a coach and deserves all the respect and accolades that are sure to be shared over the next several days. 61 is too young...just a year older than me.

I don't know much about him, but he apparently was a coaching genius but very eccentric in many of his thoughts, etc. C.C. he was not. Probably he and C.C. are opposites.

This of course probably was very obvious for Alex. Alex saw the full spectrum of human personalities.

W/out getting into detail, I doubt Leach would do well in a place like Ann Arbor, E. Lansing, etc.
12-13-2022 10:31 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

so here are my thoughts on mike leach - if they matter and they probably don't:

i didnt agree with mike leach about everything and i can absolutely see how he could rub people the wrong way. that being said he was someone who had interests and personality outside of football and the percentage of people in high level football - college or pro - that have that is a vanishingly small number. he was an organ donor and improved peoples lives on the way out - something more important than anything he ever did on the field.
12-13-2022 04:21 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(12-13-2022 04:21 PM)dansplaining Wrote:  so here are my thoughts on mike leach - if they matter and they probably don't:

i didnt agree with mike leach about everything and i can absolutely see how he could rub people the wrong way. that being said he was someone who had interests and personality outside of football and the percentage of people in high level football - college or pro - that have that is a vanishingly small number. he was an organ donor and improved peoples lives on the way out - something more important than anything he ever did on the field.

Dan, I almost never agree with you on anything except EMU sports. Nevertheless, I think we can both agree that reasoned and passionate opinions should be respected. Mike Leach lived life to the fullest as we all should.
12-13-2022 07:05 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(12-13-2022 04:21 PM)dansplaining Wrote:  so here are my thoughts on mike leach - if they matter and they probably don't:

I loved his coaching at Texas Tech the year Graham Harrell and Michael Crabtree tore it up. That team was innovative and highly entertaining. The more I learned about the man and his worldview, the less I liked, so I just really tried to limit my thoughts of him to his wacky, entertaining football coaching.
12-13-2022 07:47 PM
Advertisement

EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's Offline
1st String

I Root For: E MICH
(12-13-2022 10:31 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

I don't know much about him, but he apparently was a coaching genius but very eccentric in many of his thoughts, etc. C.C. he was not. Probably he and C.C. are opposites.

This of course probably was very obvious for Alex. Alex saw the full spectrum of human personalities.

W/out getting into detail, I doubt Leach would do well in a place like Ann Arbor, E. Lansing, etc.
Leach would have done extremely well in E Lansing! 19 bowl games in 21 seasons at Texas Tech, Washington St, and Mississippi St! Hard places to recruit to as well! Leach is A flat out genius of a coach! 158 - 107, A brilliant man! Those schools aren't exactly blue blood programs! He had to build them up! 18 times when his teams were unranked beat ranked teams, MOST ever by any coach!
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2022 09:59 PM by EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's.)
12-13-2022 08:26 PM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(12-13-2022 07:05 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  

Dan, I almost never agree with you on anything except EMU sports. Nevertheless, I think we can both agree that reasoned and passionate opinions should be respected. Mike Leach lived life to the fullest as we all should.

He had hobbies and interests outside of football. You think Saban or Swinney or Smart watch movies or read books or try to learn about the world? I think if theres something to take away from coach leach - besides his organ donation which again the most important thing he ever did - its that curiosity about the world is a virtue in itself. i imagine his life was better lives than Saban or Swinney or Smart because he opened himself up to so much more of it and experienced so much more. like i said - he definite had opinions that were counter to mine - but not for a second can i fault the way he lived his life and that foundation of curiosity that he had.
12-14-2022 07:58 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(12-14-2022 07:58 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  

He had hobbies and interests outside of football. You think Saban or Swinney or Smart watch movies or read books or try to learn about the world? I think if theres something to take away from coach leach - besides his organ donation which again the most important thing he ever did - its that curiosity about the world is a virtue in itself. i imagine his life was better lives than Saban or Swinney or Smart because he opened himself up to so much more of it and experienced so much more. like i said - he definite had opinions that were counter to mine - but not for a second can i fault the way he lived his life and that foundation of curiosity that he had.
Don't forget conspiracy theories. The man definitely had a few of those too...I mean, if we're being honest. RIP.
12-14-2022 08:58 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(12-12-2022 02:34 PM)emu steve Wrote:  Massive heart attack.

Just remember besides the tests for the five arteries which can cause a coronary, the soccer writer who just died had an abdominal aortic aneurysm (they are usually fatal).

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/14/us/grant-...index.html

Here is a brief article from the Mayo Clinic:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedu...c-20392738

https://twitter.com/amyewalter/status/16...C4jmp1kCCg
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2022 11:47 AM by emu steve.)
12-14-2022 10:57 AM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(12-14-2022 07:58 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  

Well said.
12-16-2022 07:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.