Heisman

I Root For: EMU
EMU Basketball Proposed Starting Lineup and Role Designation
Pg - Noah Farrakhan
Sg - Tyson Acuff
Sf - Lovejoy
PF- Colin Golson
Center - Jihad or Randle or Ballard or Geeter

Heath would have to change his system a bit from only playing offense but a system that has quick defenders and will play fundamental defense and designed offense with certain roles for each player. Jihad, Colin, Lovejoy not allowed to Jack up 3s.

More on bench and role designation later. Now I know what you’re thinking, where’s Emoni? We need to treat Emoni like an 18 year old true freshman who has to prove himself offensively and defensively. Emoni is a liability on defense. He may score 20 ppg but he gives up 20 ppg. I’m glad Emoni is on our team, but he doesn’t score well driving to the basket and in the paint. He’s simply can not play thru contact against MAC players who are stronger than him. He needs to gain 20-25 pounds and I believe if that happens he may be able to play in the league. I suspect Emoni’s scoring average may decline now that they’ve scouted Emoni and know he struggles scoring on the drive or finishing in the paint. Right now he’s one dimensional 3 point shooter and needs to keep improving his scoring at the other two levels. He’s only 18 yo and I believe he still has potential if he will listen to his college coaches.

With all of this said, Heath seat is flaming Hot now.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2022 09:53 PM by Luckeyone.)
12-11-2022 09:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
RE: EMU Basketball Proposed Starting Lineup and Role Designation
(12-11-2022 09:49 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  Pg - Noah Farrakhan
Sg - Tyson Acuff
Sf - Lovejoy
PF- Colin Golson

Heath would have to change his system a bit from only playing offense but a system that has quick defenders and will play fundamental defense and designed offense with certain roles for each player. Jihad, Colin, Lovejoy not allowed to Jack up 3s.

More on bench and role designation later. Now I know what you’re thinking, where’s Emoni? We need to treat Emoni like an 18 year old true freshman who has to prove himself offensively and defensively. Emoni is a liability on defense. He may score 20 ppg but he gives up 20 ppg. I’m glad Emoni is on our team, but he doesn’t score well driving to the basket and in the paint. He’s simply can not play thru contact against MAC players who are stronger than him. He needs to gain 20-25 pounds and I believe if that happens he may be able to play in the league. I suspect Emoni’s scoring average may decline now that they’ve scouted Emoni and know he struggles scoring on the drive or finishing in the paint. Right now he’s one dimensional 3 point shooter and needs to keep improving his scoring at the other two levels. He’s only 18 yo and I believe he still has potential if he will listen to his college coaches.

I propose you consolidate all of these threads into one.

Do we need a NEW Mega thread after each loss?
12-12-2022 12:20 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Heath has three years left on his contract. I don't see him being fired. And we still have the majority of games ahead of us. I am surprised and shocked as anyone by the results so far this season. It's not one factor but probably many in why we continue to find ways to lose
12-12-2022 06:56 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

Our best defensive lineup, may be our overall best lineup. Really happy that Golson started but he didn’t play that much even though he did very well on offense and defense against UofD. Jihad plays fundamental D. Lovejoy is our best defender. Noah is learning to play D and not foul.

Would like to see this starting lineup:

Pg - Noah Farrakhan
Sg - Tyson Acuff
Sf - Lovejoy
PF- Colin Golson
Center - Jihad
12-19-2022 03:36 PM
fanfrompowellspub Offline
Special Teams

I thought in our season ticket package, each ticket holder can enter a raffle to pick the lineup for that day?
12-19-2022 05:04 PM
Miggy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Eastern Michigan and Tem
I like a starting line-up of Noah, Acuff, Bates, Billingsley, and Jihad, with Geeter, Golson, and Rice coming off the bench. EMU needs Bates scoring in the starting line-up to open up the floor for other players. Lovejoy's playing time should be severely restricted until he stops fouling excessively. Very disappointed that Randle has not proving that he deserves playing time.

EMU finally putting players on the court that can both score and defend a little bit. Heath has to play a pressure defense and not teach his players how to play an effectively without fouling.

Detroit Mercy took more three's than they did two's. Usually the other way around. Maybe EMU is getting a little more respect inside. We'll see in games to come. Heath needs to have his perimeter players stop the three ball. Hasn't done that in his two years. It's time to.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2022 09:30 AM by Miggy.)
12-19-2022 05:05 PM
Advertisement

Miggy Offline
1st String

EMU's offense is looking better, but it can score even more points if Heath creates plays that get players to the hoop more and shoot more three's. DEMU should incorporate an inside-outside game into it's offense. Two-point jump shots are converted at the lowest rate than any shot in bb. EMU shoots far too many two's point jump shots.

Ramy is right when he says Noah should go to hoop more and shoot more three's.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2022 09:27 AM by Miggy.)
12-19-2022 05:26 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

(12-19-2022 05:04 PM)fanfrompowellspub Wrote:  I thought in our season ticket package, each ticket holder can enter a raffle to pick the lineup for that day?

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

I was very happy to see Yusuf Jihad have a great game. However, this often happens in college basketball that a little used and therefor little scouted player gets a little luck and has a breakout game, then follows it up with much less impressive performances. Hopefully in Jihad’s case this is more a trajectory than a flash, but I am not inserting him into the starting lineup just yet.

I actually like having Golson (best frontcourt scorer) and Billingsley (becoming the best/strongest frontcourt defender) in the starting lineup. That allows you to bring Geeter (still hoping to be the best all around frontcourt player) off the bench to either score or defend as the game situation calls for. If Jihad plays as he did yesterday, he can be used similarly.

Otherwise Noah, Tyson, and Bates are the other clear starters, and Lovejoy and Rice the other clear reserves.

I expect this to be the best 9 man rotation going forward. I feel a little bad for Randle and Luca as they might be squeezed out. But I think it is better to limit your rotation to gain consistency and keep the main guys from getting cold on the bench….Regardless, I reallize my season tickets do not entitle me to a say in the matter!
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2022 07:04 PM by RamyEMU.)
12-19-2022 07:01 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

Sg - Tyson Acuff
Sf - Lovejoy
PF- Colin Golson

https://www.si.com/nba/draft/mock-drafts...-villanova

Hint: the guy who appears at #30 on a recent NBA mock draft should probably be starting. Let's not overthink this. 03-lmfao
12-19-2022 08:43 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(12-19-2022 08:43 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
Sg - Tyson Acuff
Sf - Lovejoy
PF- Colin Golson

Hint: the guy who appears at #30 on a recent NBA mock draft should probably be starting. Let's not overthink this. 03-lmfao

Mock drafts do not help win college games. Obviously Emoni can score but his man also scores - a bunch! If I’m the coach I consider sending a message to the team that defense is going to be a major contributing factor on playing time. I’m glad Emoni is on our team because for an 18 yo he’s a stud. Emoni needs to keep improving his defense like several other players. I’m starting to see a pattern with Jihad, Golson and Lovejoy - they play hard, they play with effort, they play with energy and they play with intensity! That combination also erases deficits. I’m not saying that players not listed should never start, but at 3-9, Heath has to start sending messages. Emoni’s ill advised 3 point shot at end of game gave UofD and one of the nations best scorers a chance to win the game but we got lucky. We were almost 2-10
12-19-2022 10:19 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

(12-19-2022 10:19 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
Sg - Tyson Acuff
Sf - Lovejoy
PF- Colin Golson

Mock drafts do not help win college games. Obviously Emoni can score but his man also scores - a bunch! If I’m the coach I consider sending a message to the team that defense is going to be a major contributing factor on playing time. I’m glad Emoni is on our team because for an 18 yo he’s a stud. Emoni needs to keep improving his defense like several other players. I’m starting to see a pattern with Jihad, Golson and Lovejoy - they play hard, they play with effort, they play with energy and they play with intensity! That combination also erases deficits. I’m not saying that players not listed should never start, but at 3-9, Heath has to start sending messages. Emoni’s ill advised 3 point shot at end of game gave UofD and one of the nations best scorers a chance to win the game but we got lucky. We were almost 2-10

What BobW said:
“Hint: the guy who appears at #30 on a recent NBA mock draft should probably be starting. Let's not overthink this”
03-lmfao
12-19-2022 11:51 PM
Advertisement

Miggy Offline
1st String

(12-19-2022 11:51 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  
Sg - Tyson Acuff
Sf - Lovejoy
PF- Colin Golson

What BobW said:
“Hint: the guy who appears at #30 on a recent NBA mock draft should probably be starting. Let's not overthink this”
03-lmfao

So true. All Bates had to do was hold the ball. He needs some individual instructions. Hard to make the pro's with a low Bb IQ. He needs to learn the importance of defense. He can't play in the NBA without being a good defender.,
12-20-2022 02:47 PM
Miggy Offline
1st String

Sg - Tyson Acuff
Sf - Lovejoy
PF- Colin Golson

What BobW said:
03-lmfao

So true. All Bates had to do was hold the ball. He needs some individual instructions. Hard to make the pro's with a low Bb IQ. He needs to learn the importance of defense. He can't play in the NBA without being a good defender.

He needs to drive far more to the hoop than he does. His turnover rate is ok. Needs to foul less often.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2022 02:53 PM by Miggy.)
12-20-2022 02:50 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

(12-20-2022 02:50 PM)Miggy Wrote:  
Sg - Tyson Acuff
Sf - Lovejoy
PF- Colin Golson

What BobW said:
03-lmfao

So true. All Bates had to do was hold the ball. He needs some individual instructions. Hard to make the pro's with a low Bb IQ. He needs to learn the importance of defense. He can't play in the NBA without being a good defender.

He needs to drive far more to the hoop than he does. His turnover rate is ok. Needs to foul less often.

Not true at all. Emoni Bates probably did make a mistake in not running out the clock with a 4 point lead and under 30 sec. But it was not egregious mistake- it was as wide open of a look for a three pointer that you can possibly get and taken by one of the best 3 point shooters there is. Had it gone in, would have sealed the game much more then two free throws with another few seconds taken off the clock. It did not go in- but if the free throw shooter missed one or both of the free throws, then giving up the open three would have seemed like a more a mistake.

I think we in this board tend to overvalue our opinions and perspectives- which is normal especially for sports boards. And I normally value your and Luckey’s opinions and inputs. But this one is laughable to me, no offense. As BobW says, don’t overthink it. Or perhaps i should add, if you are going to argue for benching Emoni Bates or critiquing a “low basketball IQ”, then you should think it through a little more.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2022 10:51 AM by RamyEMU.)
12-21-2022 10:50 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(12-21-2022 10:50 AM)RamyEMU Wrote:  
(12-19-2022 08:43 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  https://www.si.com/nba/draft/mock-drafts...-villanova

What BobW said:
03-lmfao

Not true at all. Emoni Bates probably did make a mistake in not running out the clock with a 4 point lead and under 30 sec. But it was not egregious mistake- it was as wide open of a look for a three pointer that you can possibly get and taken by one of the best 3 point shooters there is. Had it gone in, would have sealed the game much more then two free throws with another few seconds taken off the clock. It did not go in- but if the free throw shooter missed one or both of the free throws, then giving up the open three would have seemed like a more a mistake.

I think we in this board tend to overvalue our opinions and perspectives- which is normal especially for sports boards. And I normally value your and Luckey’s opinions and inputs. But this one is laughable to me, no offense. As BobW says, don’t overthink it. Or perhaps i should add, if you are going to argue for benching Emoni Bates or critiquing a “low basketball IQ”, then you should think it through a little more.

Ramy, I value your perspective too; however, I believe if the educated basketball community took the time to comment, the majority would agree that Emoni took an ill advised shot with the game in the balance. Heath commented that the team has been working on closing out games and certainly Emoni’s shot was not part of the plan. Great players make mistakes too.
12-21-2022 10:55 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(12-21-2022 10:50 AM)RamyEMU Wrote:  
(12-19-2022 08:43 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  https://www.si.com/nba/draft/mock-drafts...-villanova

What BobW said:
03-lmfao

I agree sports boards OVER think things in real time which is not a good thing.

A FBS football season is 12 (or 13 or even 14 games long). ONE game equals ONE data point. Just like one day in the stock market is one data point in an endless series of trading days.

Sports fans are notorious for thinking the first 1/10th of the season is a preview of the entire season. It is 1/10th of the season.

College basketball is 30+ data points. NFL is 17 (ask the Lions who were 1 - 6 and then became maybe the hottest team in the league). MLB is 162 data points. Tigers were, unbelievably, once 9 - 1 late in the season [the last 10 games stat] and then promptly went into the toilet again.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2022 11:12 AM by emu steve.)
12-21-2022 11:09 AM
Advertisement

RamyEMU Offline
All American

(12-21-2022 10:55 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  Ramy, I value your perspective too; however, I believe if the educated basketball community took the time to comment, the majority would agree that Emoni took an ill advised shot with the game in the balance. Heath commented that the team has been working on closing out games and certainly Emoni’s shot was not part of the plan. Great players make mistakes too.

This might be one of those argument examples that Steve pointed out where I am hearing one thing, and you saying another.

My take: Luckey says bench Emoni-> BobW says that makes no sense-> Luckey says yes it does because Emoni took a bad shot.

Maybe there is more to what you are saying, or maybe I am misinterpreting what you are saying. I apologize if so. I agree it was an ill advised shot, but not nearly to the extent you are suggesting. Certainly not something to bench your best player over.
12-21-2022 12:38 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(12-21-2022 12:38 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  
(12-21-2022 10:55 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  Ramy, I value your perspective too; however, I believe if the educated basketball community took the time to comment, the majority would agree that Emoni took an ill advised shot with the game in the balance. Heath commented that the team has been working on closing out games and certainly Emoni’s shot was not part of the plan. Great players make mistakes too.

This might be one of those argument examples that Steve pointed out where I am hearing one thing, and you saying another.

My take: Luckey says bench Emoni-> BobW says that makes no sense-> Luckey says yes it does because Emoni took a bad shot.

Maybe there is more to what you are saying, or maybe I am misinterpreting what you are saying. I apologize if so. I agree it was an ill advised shot, but not nearly to the extent you are suggesting. Certainly not something to bench your best player over.

Ramy,

Emoni is a very good 18 yo but he’s not our best player. I’m merely suggesting that the players who can guard their men get some starting time opportunities. Emoni should play but Heath could consider having him come off the bench until his defensive prowess matches his offensive prowess.

BTW, Noah is this teams best player hands down but he’s being too unselfish right now.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2022 02:48 PM by Luckeyone.)
12-21-2022 02:47 PM
Miggy Offline
1st String

EMU offensive is decent as it's shooting 2's at 49 percent and 3's at almost 36 percent. EMU shoots a slightly higher percentage on 3's than it's opponents. EMU's problem is that opponents shoot 5 more three's per game than EMU does as EMU takes far less three's than 80 percent of all teams in the nation. That needs to change..

EMU takes slightly more 2's than their opponents do, and such makes no sense as opponents are shooting a whopping 60 percent to EMU's 50 percent on two's. Heath could reduce opponents high shooting percentage by simply having his bigs play closer to the hoop. With Jihad playing substantial minutes last game, Detroit Mercy shot but just 42 percent on 2's. One can only hope that continues.

EMU would win more games if they combined shooting far more 3's with defensively stationing a big by the rim, and by fouling less often.

Newly played Jihad, a good three-point shooter, may well be the shot in the arm to move the needle in EMU closing the gap between the number of 3's made by EMU compared to it's opponents. In addition, if Noah would more than double the number of three's he currently does, EMU would turn shooting more 3's into a positive. Playing Jihad on the perimeter at times, will also open lanes for perimeter players to drive to the hoop.

Defensively, Heath should apply a pressure perimeter defense in order to reduce the number of 3's taken by opponents.

While EMU is a young team, it's committing fewer turnovers than it's opponents. That's a good thing and a testament to Heath's coaching.

But EMU's achilles heal that costs EMU wins are opponents high shooting percent on 2's, EMU shooting few 3's, and EMU ranked 12th in the nation in committing the most fouls. The later has resulted in opponents making 2 more foul-shots than EMU does each game. Thankfully, with Jihad having a low foul-rate and playing more, the number of fouls EMU commits will start to decline.

But Lovejoy, Geeter, Billingsley, Noah, Bates, Golson, and Rice all need to sharply reduce the number of fouls they commit, especially shooting fouls. Acuff is the only player who does not foul excessively. EMU players need to learn there's no reason to foul an opponent on 2-point jump shots. Lovejoy should be played sparingly until he sharply reduces his high fouling rate.

EMU's rebounding has almost matched that of their opponents in the all important offensive rebounds category, but it should be even better as EMU misses more shots than their opponents do.

EMU being a good shooting team and the hopeful emergence of Jihad as a scorer, should give fans a reason to be optimistic going forward.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2022 12:03 PM by Miggy.)
12-22-2022 05:55 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(12-21-2022 12:38 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  

100% agree. Ask Emoni's teammates if he should be starting. These guys aren't dumb, they know Emoni gives them the best chance to win and the NBA scouts in attendance all agree. In fact, I have no doubt if Emoni was benched the entire team would question the coach, not good. You let Emoni take the open 3 for the dagger and live with the results. I have no problem with the shot by Bates, anyone else, not so much.
12-22-2022 06:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.