Conference Championship Game
11-30-2022 10:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Nick from Ohio Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The Little Guys
RE: Conference Championship Game
I think the team is going to come out and play great. We opened the season great against two lackluster teams and were humbled against OSU. In Week 4, with a cross-country trip where any NFL team would tell you is a tough trip, they played flat and lost. They responded with three great wins to open conference play and started playing loose when they got up against Buffalo and they were quickly reminded that you can't take quarters off. After UB they responded with two MAC West wins to lock up the division. Give credit to BG, they played great against Toledo and had EVERYTHING to lose if they did not beat us. If they lost again, they risked another year of not going to a bowl, another year listening to Toledo fans talk about how it isn't a rivalry, and another year wondering if their Coach was going to get canned. Toledo didn't change its course because of the BG loss. Losing a rival game happens. Get over it.

The WMU game looked like a team that had too much turkey and just wanted to get to OU. I think the team played uninspired and I think there was a nervous / almost WTF just happened moment when DQ got benched. Was it because he was hurt or because he was playing terrible? In the moment, the team doesn't know and could have a lot of questions.

I am very optimistic when it comes to this team (and the coaching staff) because they HAVE shown glimpses throughout the season of how good they could be. I have read every reason why people on this board feel like Toledo should be leaps and bounds ahead of the entire MAC but the reality of the situation is - we are still TOLEDO. We are about the 75th best roster in the country based on recruiting numbers, have the 88th highest paid Head Coach (2nd in the MAC), play in a city that is still sulking because their beloved Buckeyes got their throats stomped in by a rival, and want to piss and moan because their alma mater cannot compete with the Group of 5/ Power 5 counterparts that are heavily investing in athletics. Get off my lawn and go celebrate the fact that the team is playing in their 2nd Championship in 5 years and only 5th in 20+ years.

Toledo 49
Ohio 24

https://247sports.com/college/toledo/Sea...l/Commits/ (take the last 4 years and average the ranking)

https://www.sportico.com/business/commer...234646029/ (find Toledo at #88)
11-30-2022 11:46 AM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
I hope you are right, but I've watched this team not play four consecutive quarters of above average football all season. We like to spot teams three TD's before we wake up.

The lack luster performance against your rival at home and 4 quarters of down right crappy football vs a far less talented WMU team sealed it for me. For those going to Detroit, I'll be rooting from afar on this one. OU by two TD's.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
11-30-2022 01:49 PM
Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!
03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

Go Rockets! Nick from Ohio just doesn’t see what pretty much everyone else on this board sees when the Rockets play but that’s fine. If we play up to our potential, we should win by a few touchdowns.

It’s just that we have a HC who gives a lot of us zero confidence. It’s why I wanted Blair to pull the trigger last Friday. With Kuligowski or Kehres at the helm, I’d be more excited about our chances
11-30-2022 01:55 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(11-30-2022 01:49 PM)emanoh Wrote:  I hope you are right, but I've watched this team not play four consecutive quarters of above average football all season. We like to spot teams three TD's before we wake up.

The lack luster performance against your rival at home and 4 quarters of down right crappy football vs a far less talented WMU team sealed it for me. For those going to Detroit, I'll be rooting from afar on this one. OU by two TD's.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Well id rather lose 7 and 8 after clinching than 1 and 2 and bite my nails to the finish and lose our midseason crowds. It sucks we had to backslide into the title but NIU did in 2018 and came out with vengeance vs. UB. They seemed happy? They did it without even the best roster.

Us winning would yield a "well obviously they are just more talented than Ohio in year 2 of Albin." If thats the case, we could flip the switch and win our bowl too. Winning both of our final 2 or losing both is how i see this going. If we play close and just lose the turnover battle by 3+... idk what to say. Our guys need to walk around campus with a football and not let students strip it.
11-30-2022 03:26 PM
Nick in Cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
I have 0 confidence in this staff to have Toledo ready to beat Ohio on Saturday or a bowl win against any bowl eligible team right now

For crying out load we just lost to 2 of the worst teams in the MAC and FBS.

Agree that Candle should have been fired immediately after the debacle in K-zoo and one of the assistants lead us in December before a new coach hired

Another missed opportunity.
11-30-2022 03:36 PM
Advertisement

Springboromark Offline
All American

Would like to see Gleason to start, if he can go ? If Finn is unable to run, then he is a detriment, especially with the off and on offensive line UT possesses. Perhaps Candle can run some trick plays to play ahead and stay ahead. I believe the defense will do their job against the run happy 2nd QB for OU. Put 8 in the box and force him to throw the ball.
11-30-2022 04:28 PM
falconplucker Offline
1st String

Jason Candle coaching against a MAC team with a winning conference record, automatically drops the chances of a win to 20%. Toledo will score a couple through the air.

Ohio 35
Toledo 17
12-01-2022 07:23 AM
Babes boy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(12-01-2022 07:23 AM)falconplucker Wrote:  Jason Candle coaching against a MAC team with a winning conference record, automatically drops the chances of a win to 20%. Toledo will score a couple through the air.

Ohio 35
Toledo 17

I’m afraid you are correct. I want to go but due to a family situation it won’t happen.
12-01-2022 03:13 PM
Nick in Cleveland Offline
1st String

We are in alignment with Nicks Picks of OU winning 38-16

I’ve seen nothing from this coaching staff to make me think they are properly prepared for Saturday

And that includes yet another bowl loss for the Candle Clueless Crew.
12-01-2022 03:20 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
Rockets 42 OU 24
12-01-2022 08:02 PM
Advertisement

Springboromark Offline
All American

Boca, I don't see that happening, but I will take UT to win 24-21.
12-01-2022 09:09 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(12-01-2022 09:09 PM)Springboromark Wrote:  Boca, I don't see that happening, but I will take UT to win 24-21.

The game is indoors, temperature controlled. Favors UT's speedy DBs and RBs/WRs.
12-01-2022 09:32 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
Why the hell is it at 11am?
12-01-2022 10:18 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
If Finn is anything like we last saw him, forget it. Gleason may be the only hope.

Read a Plain Dealer story about how few head coaches call their own plays in-game. Alabama’s Nick Saban, Clemson’s Dabo Swinney, Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh, LSU’s Brian Kelly, Georgia’s Kirby Smart, TCU’s Sonny Dykes, Penn State’s James Franklin-none of them do. And a HC calling his own plays hasn't won a national championship since the mid 90's.

But Candles does, because he apparently is so organized that he can handle everything happening on the sidelines plus be a great play caller.
12-02-2022 04:33 AM
stpeterocketfan Offline
Special Teams

(12-01-2022 09:32 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
(12-01-2022 09:09 PM)Springboromark Wrote:  Boca, I don't see that happening, but I will take UT to win 24-21.

The game is indoors, temperature controlled. Favors UT's speedy DBs and RBs/WRs.

I think Boca is right. While we cant control our mental mistakes, this does control the weather which just makes our mental mistakes worse as penalties pile up on top of bad weather issues that both teams face. Being indoors eliminates one of the two things that Jason Candle cant seem to control or fix.
12-02-2022 07:17 AM
Advertisement

Nick from Ohio Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The Little Guys
(12-01-2022 10:18 PM)holybovine Wrote:  Why the hell is it at 11am?

Because you must be in the Central Time zone.
12-02-2022 09:52 AM
adunifon Offline
Heisman

(12-02-2022 09:52 AM)Nick from Ohio Wrote:  
(12-01-2022 10:18 PM)holybovine Wrote:  Why the hell is it at 11am?

Because you must be in the Central Time zone.

LOL
12-02-2022 09:57 AM
Rocket Man Offline
2nd String

If we play to our potential we win big!

Go Rockets!!!

Toledo 56 Ohio 21
12-02-2022 12:42 PM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Only because some of my golfing buddies bailed on the traditional post Turkey Day golf outings in Orlando was this even possible - we played a round yesterday morning outside of Orlando, and I made the decision to get to the MACC game. Packed all my stuff and took off at 2:50pm from Orlando. Everyone else had to Uber to the airport. Arrived home at exactly 8:21 am this morning - including an hour in a parking lot called I-75 heading into Atlanta because of - not 1, not 2, but 3 separate accidents that closed the highway. My GPS indicated it was still "the fastest route" Siri got an earful...

Took a nap, caught a cold along the way - and now trying to recover to be at the game tomorrow.

They better freaking win. It is supposed to be 83 degrees and sunny today....but playing horrible yesterday definitely helped with the decision. Figured there was only one way to get more frustrated - watch a Candle led team play a team with a winning record...
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2022 02:03 PM by MotoRocket.)
12-02-2022 01:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.