Thamel: Trent Dilfer to be next UAB head coach
11-29-2022 11:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Blazer4Life14 Offline
One of “Kent’s People”

I Root For: UAB, Pro Sports
RE: Thamel: Trent Dilfer to be next UAB head coach
I'm all in baby, this is exactly what I was wanting. Take a chance, I'm so damn tired of 8/9 win seasons, beating up on bad teams, and no significant OOC wins. This hire has a chance to be a huge homerun, or a disaster. Gotta take a chance to reach new heights.
11-29-2022 11:30 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
What is his connection to UAB, does he live in the area or something? I can see them being excited to hire Dilfer, but I'm not sure why he wants to coach there.
11-30-2022 12:33 AM
Blazer4Life14 Offline
One of “Kent’s People”

(11-30-2022 12:33 AM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  What is his connection to UAB, does he live in the area or something? I can see them being excited to hire Dilfer, but I'm not sure why he wants to coach there.

Cause we gave him a chance. He's not too far away in Nashville, and probably knows how to recruit in the Southeast.
11-30-2022 12:56 AM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

(11-30-2022 12:56 AM)Blazer4Life14 Wrote:  
(11-30-2022 12:33 AM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  What is his connection to UAB, does he live in the area or something? I can see them being excited to hire Dilfer, but I'm not sure why he wants to coach there.

Cause we gave him a chance. He's not too far away in Nashville, and probably knows how to recruit in the Southeast.

I meant no insult by that, what I really meant was "what's his connection to UAB". It's clear why a CUSA school, or most g5 for that matter, would want a super bowl-winning QB as their Head Coach, and Dilfer seems to have done a good job in last few years as a HS coach.

Would be funny if Dilfer called up Deion's son and got him from the Transfer protocol after Deion goes to USF.
11-30-2022 01:06 AM
teamvsn Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NAIA
Setting himself up to be Fresno State head coach when Tedford retires.
11-30-2022 01:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Blazer4Life14 Offline
One of “Kent’s People”

(11-30-2022 01:06 AM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  

I meant no insult by that, what I really meant was "what's his connection to UAB". It's clear why a CUSA school, or most g5 for that matter, would want a super bowl-winning QB as their Head Coach, and Dilfer seems to have done a good job in last few years as a HS coach.

Would be funny if Dilfer called up Deion's son and got him from the Transfer protocol after Deion goes to USF.

I didn’t take it as an insult, just stated the fact we gave him a chance lol. It’s an interesting hire for sure, but I applaud our AD for taking a chance. I’ll be tuning into his opening press conference, because I’m sure the question of “Why UAB?” will come up, and am curious what his answer is.

Dilfer could take us to heights Bill Clark could only dream of, or it could be a complete flop. Interesting to see which way it goes.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2022 01:25 AM by Blazer4Life14.)
11-30-2022 01:24 AM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

(11-30-2022 01:24 AM)Blazer4Life14 Wrote:  

I didn’t take it as an insult, just stated the fact we gave him a chance lol. It’s an interesting hire for sure, but I applaud our AD for taking a chance. I’ll be tuning into his opening press conference, because I’m sure the question of “Why UAB?” will come up, and am curious what his answer is.

Dilfer could take us to heights Bill Clark could only dream of, or it could be a complete flop. Interesting to see which way it goes.

I think he's a really good hire. QB is by far the most important position in football, and if my 4* stud QB son is looking for a coach to help him make it to the next level then it would be tough to go wrong with someone like Dilfer. 14 years in the NFL, complete journeyman yet he stepped up when he needed to and led his team to the promised land. He wasn't bad as a talking head, either.

I'd bet that a kid could learn a few things from a dude like that.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2022 01:29 AM by bryanw1995.)
11-30-2022 01:28 AM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB

Our AD Mark Ingram is a UT grad, so that is the only 'connection' I can see, with Dilfer currently in Nashville coaching HS (by all accounts a HS power academy deal, along with a quarterback-centric camp or something, supposedly a big thing nationally...)
11-30-2022 02:00 AM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

I meant no insult by that, what I really meant was "what's his connection to UAB". It's clear why a AAC in '23 school, or most g5 for that matter, would want a super bowl-winning QB as their Head Coach, and Dilfer seems to have done a good job in last few years as a HS coach.

FIFY 02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana
11-30-2022 02:06 AM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
(11-30-2022 01:10 AM)teamvsn Wrote:  Setting himself up to be Fresno State head coach when Tedford retires.

That would be nice.....if he's good, but if he's too good, P5 for him.

I didn't even know he was coaching, or is this this college version of Jeff Saturday?
11-30-2022 02:28 AM
Advertisement

BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

(11-30-2022 02:28 AM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  
(11-30-2022 01:10 AM)teamvsn Wrote:  Setting himself up to be Fresno State head coach when Tedford retires.

I didn't even know he was coaching, or is this this college version of Jeff Saturday?

If he bolts for a P5 job then fine, that means he was successful here. The Saturday comparisons are fair although it seems Dilfer has been a more successful HS coach than Saturday ever was and Dilfer has been working with HS QBs for years with the Elite 11 thing he does. Like others have said, this is a boom or bust hire. Hopefully it pays off.
11-30-2022 03:02 AM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
(11-30-2022 03:02 AM)BlazintheAtl1 Wrote:  

If he bolts for a P5 job then fine, that means he was successful here. The Saturday comparisons are fair although it seems Dilfer has been a more successful HS coach than Saturday ever was and Dilfer has been working with HS QBs for years with the Elite 11 thing he does. Like others have said, this is a boom or bust hire. Hopefully it pays off.
I'll be rooting for you guys. Usually I root for you knocking off top seeds in the tournament, now I'll have to watch your football team.
11-30-2022 04:07 AM
BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

(11-30-2022 04:07 AM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  
(11-30-2022 03:02 AM)BlazintheAtl1 Wrote:  

I'll be rooting for you guys. Usually I root for you knocking off top seeds in the tournament, now I'll have to watch your football team.

Appreciate it.
11-30-2022 04:15 AM
chidave Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
He's got some big shoes to fill there.
11-30-2022 08:55 AM
bill dazzle Online
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
A bold hire for UAB. Not sure what to think about it. Here in Nashville, Dilfer has garnered lots of headlines for the work he has done at Lipscomb Academy. LA is located about five miles south of downtown Nashville and on the Lipscomb University campus (the two entities are loosely affiliated). Dilfer runs the LA program in a serious "NFL-lite" manner. The roster is now very diverse (in terms of race, ethnicity and religious background), which (as I understand) was not the case not that long ago (likely due to LA's Church of Christ history).

As a former NFL player, Dilfer will get quality players at UAB. Whether he can win on the college level ...
11-30-2022 09:10 AM
Advertisement

Blazer4Life14 Offline
One of “Kent’s People”

(11-30-2022 08:55 AM)chidave Wrote:  He's got some big shoes to fill there.

Not as big as outsiders think. I love Clark and he’s done a lot of good for our university/program, but he made a living beating bad teams and generally getting thumped by good teams, particularly in OOC games. There was a clear glass ceiling with him and Vincent. Dilfer has a chance to shatter that. Or he has a chance to be a flop. However it goes, I know this is the most excited I’ve been about our football program since 2019 or so.
11-30-2022 09:20 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
Too much splash, not enough substance.

Not a fan of going from High School directly to the AAC. Standards have seemingly changed overnight in the AAC.

The leftover AAC programs are really screwing over the new AAC programs with thier unequal payout. USF is offering Deion Sanders (apparently in a bidding war with Colorado) and UAB is offering high school coaches just shows the financial imbalance.
11-30-2022 09:27 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(11-29-2022 11:06 PM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/15...eHxKwsAAAA

Where did the UAB coach go. I missed something. Thought he was a UAB lifer after resurrecting UAB from the dead. 04-jawdrop 07-coffee3
11-30-2022 10:06 AM
Just Joe Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bama
(11-30-2022 09:27 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  Too much splash, not enough substance.

Not a fan of going from High School directly to the AAC. Standards have seemingly changed overnight in the AAC.

The leftover AAC programs are really screwing over the new AAC programs with thier unequal payout. USF is offering Deion Sanders (apparently in a bidding war with Colorado) and UAB is offering high school coaches just shows the financial imbalance.

This. The last two HS to FBS I can recall were Todd Dodge at UNT and Tony Sanchez at UNLV, who were on paper much more qualified to make the leap than Dilfer is, and neither of those worked out well.
11-30-2022 10:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.