Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SFA regents vote to join the UT system
TallTexan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SFA, UT
SFA regents vote to join the UT system
SFA has been looking at system affiliations the past several months and has voted to go with the UT proposal. Other candidates were Texas Tech System, A&M System, & the Texas State System.

UT has offered substantial resources, access to PUF funds, & promised that the SFA name & brand are safe.

It's a huge day for SFA. A decision to make sure we thrive in the next 100 years. The future is bright!
11-29-2022 12:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CarlSmithCenter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ball So Hard U
RE: SFA regents vote to join the UT system
(11-29-2022 12:36 PM)TallTexan Wrote:  SFA has been looking at system affiliations the past several months and has voted to go with the UT proposal. Other candidates were Texas Tech System, A&M System, & the Texas State System.

UT has offered substantial resources, access to PUF funds, & promised that the SFA name & brand are safe.

It's a huge day for SFA. A decision to make sure we thrive in the next 100 years. The future is bright!

Congratulations. Does the influx of resources from the UT system impact whether y'all will move up to FBS at all?
11-29-2022 12:41 PM
Skyhawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Big10
(11-29-2022 12:36 PM)TallTexan Wrote:  SFA has been looking at system affiliations the past several months and has voted to go with the UT proposal. Other candidates were Texas Tech System, A&M System, & the Texas State System.

So I thought I'd go read about the school's history in light of this change.

Wikipedia doesn't have much:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_F....University

But I found a fair amount here:

https://www.sfasu.edu/story/

Interesting reading : )

Edit: Abbreviated history for those so inclined:

https://www.sfasu.edu/story/timelines/br...ology.html
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2022 12:45 PM by Skyhawk.)
11-29-2022 12:42 PM
TallTexan Offline
2nd String

(11-29-2022 12:41 PM)CarlSmithCenter Wrote:  

Congratulations. Does the influx of resources from the UT system impact whether y'all will move up to FBS at all?

Not sure yet, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Interestingly, we will now have 3 UT schools in the WAC, us, RGV, UTA, so it'll be interesting to see if they work together on any future jumps.
11-29-2022 12:47 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
So will you still be SFA or will SFA become UT-Nacadoches?
11-29-2022 12:49 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
(11-29-2022 12:47 PM)TallTexan Wrote:  
(11-29-2022 12:41 PM)CarlSmithCenter Wrote:  

Not sure yet, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Interestingly, we will now have 3 UT schools in the WAC, us, RGV, UTA, so it'll be interesting to see if they work together on any future jumps.

SFA to CUSA makes all the sense in the world. Them and SHSU should be a package deal. With CUSA at 10, add SFA and Eastern Kentucky.

East: Eastern Kentucky, Florida International, Kennesaw St, Liberty, Middle Tennessee St, Western Kentucky
West: Jacksonville St, Louisiana Tech, New Mexico St, Sam Houston St, Stephen F. Austin St, UTEP
11-29-2022 12:51 PM
Advertisement

loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
(11-29-2022 12:49 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  So will you still be SFA or will SFA become UT-Nacadoches?

I read somewhere that part of the negotiation was to keep SFA. But I can't find the source.
11-29-2022 12:54 PM
TallTexan Offline
2nd String

(11-29-2022 12:49 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  So will you still be SFA or will SFA become UT-Nacadoches?

Quote from UT proposal:

"The UT System will protect and preserve all things Lumberjack, including the name, Stephen F. Austin".
11-29-2022 12:55 PM
rtist Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NMSU & UAA
I don't suppose the colors of the school (purple and white) will change to burnt orange and some other color?
11-29-2022 01:00 PM
TallTexan Offline
2nd String

(11-29-2022 01:00 PM)rtist Wrote:  I don't suppose the colors of the school (purple and white) will change to burnt orange and some other color?

Nope. Colors are safe per the proposals.
11-29-2022 01:10 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
So the UT-Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks?
11-29-2022 01:12 PM
Advertisement

bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
This was the right move for you guys. Texas' proposal was by far the best I thought. And as someone who has admired Texas history for my entire life, I'm glad that you are keeping your name.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2022 01:14 PM by bryanw1995.)
11-29-2022 01:12 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
Good move. The UT system made the best offer.

It's also really good that SFA will keep its name and colors. No UT-Nacogdoches with the colors of purple and orange.
11-29-2022 01:43 PM
TallTexan Offline
2nd String

(11-29-2022 01:12 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  This was the right move for you guys. Texas' proposal was by far the best I thought. And as someone who has admired Texas history for my entire life, I'm glad that you are keeping your name.

I had heard rumors that UT was going to make a pretty sweet deal, but even I was shocked at how much they offered.

We would have benefitted from any system partner, but having over 100 million in committed spending on top of that is a huge win for SFA and really shows our value.

A great day for SFA & East Texas. This will change lives.
11-29-2022 02:02 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

(11-29-2022 02:02 PM)TallTexan Wrote:  
(11-29-2022 01:12 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  This was the right move for you guys. Texas' proposal was by far the best I thought. And as someone who has admired Texas history for my entire life, I'm glad that you are keeping your name.

I had heard rumors that UT was going to make a pretty sweet deal, but even I was shocked at how much they offered.

We would have benefitted from any system partner, but having over 100 million in committed spending on top of that is a huge win for SFA and really shows our value.

My mom lived on Lake Palestine and commuted to Nacogdoches for 2 years. She eventually took another job b/c the 90 min each way was too much, but she really loved working there. Such a nice place.
11-29-2022 04:07 PM
TallTexan Offline
2nd String

(11-29-2022 04:07 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  
(11-29-2022 02:02 PM)TallTexan Wrote:  

My mom lived on Lake Palestine and commuted to Nacogdoches for 2 years. She eventually took another job b/c the 90 min each way was too much, but she really loved working there. Such a nice place.

My dream job opened there a few months back. It was so tempting to move back to Nac for it but we were planning to move closer to family, not further away.

Legitimately one of the prettiest campuses around.
11-29-2022 05:18 PM
Advertisement

DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(11-29-2022 01:10 PM)TallTexan Wrote:  Nope. Colors are safe per the proposals.

Expect orange and purple down the road. That's the way they work.
11-29-2022 05:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
(11-29-2022 05:28 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  

UT-Arlington was able to keep blue and white for many years. If I understand it correctly, they only switched to blue and orange in the last 10 years, around the time they opened their new arena. Incidentally, the forerunner of UTA was an agricultural college and was part of the A&M system until 1965.

Hopefully, SFA will be able to keep their name and colors as long as possible.
11-29-2022 05:41 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

(11-29-2022 05:41 PM)johnintx Wrote:  
(11-29-2022 05:28 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  

UT-Arlington was able to keep blue and white for many years. If I understand it correctly, they only switched to blue and orange in the last 10 years, around the time they opened their new arena. Incidentally, the forerunner of UTA was an agricultural college and was part of the A&M system until 1965.

Hopefully, SFA will be able to keep their name and colors as long as possible.

You know how A&M and Texas get when it comes to competition, I'd wager that you guys can keep your name and colors exactly as they are in perpetuity.
11-29-2022 05:46 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(11-29-2022 01:43 PM)johnintx Wrote:  Good move. The UT system made the best offer.

It's also really good that SFA will keep its name and colors. No UT-Nacogdoches with the colors of purple and orange.

Purple and Orange go well together!
11-29-2022 05:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.