Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Offense
Bookmark and Share
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
Offense
We're getting enough games under our belt, against a variety of competition to have an idea of what we've got. Fortunately the bulk of our shots from three are from our best three point shooters.

White is the one outlier taking 21 attempts(4th most on the team) and hitting only 14.3%. I really don't like him spotting up from three since not only is it not a good shot for him, but it takes him out of the paint for an offensive rebound. White is 30-72 from the field at 41.7%. Take away his three point attempts and he is 27-51 or 52.9%

Phillips really only takes a three late in the clock when he doesn't have an option.

MHH is NOT a three point shooter and I have no idea why we spot him in the corner to take the three.

We've got four guys who are obviously our best three point shooters and we need to stick to them taking the shots unless we have no other option.

Three point shooting

Newby 10-27 37%
Van DH 11-28 39.3%
Harvey 7-20 35%
Thomas 5-16 31.3%
MHH 1-10 10%
Phillps 1-7 14.3%
White 3-21 14.3%

On the drive we have Shy, White and Thomas. Ross has that potential but so far he has been reluctant to drive or take shots. I expect that to change as he gets more comfortable

And in the post we have Kelly. What a huge change in his hands. Last year he couldn't hold on to a pass and couldn't hold on to a rebound. This year he is snaring rebounds and finishing off the pass in the paint. 23-35 from the field(65.7%) averaging 7.4 ppg and 4.4 rebs in only 19.3 minutes. He was 9-13 (69.2%) from the field in this tournament against mid majors.

Our guys who can drive aren't the same ones who can shoot threes at the highest clip, so we should be able to develop a nice drive and kickout for the three offense. That also means we have to make sure we have the right combinations on the floor with substitutions. If we go with Thomas, Shy, Ross, White and Kelly to start we really don't have a light out three point shooter in that group. Ross has the best potential IMO, but he has to get more comfortable on the court. It also may be that we can run Newby, Thomas, Shy, White and Kelly against smaller teams.

Bottom line is that we have the potential to improve on offense but we have to have the guys doing what they do best and the coaches have to make sure we have legit three point threats on the court at all times.
11-28-2022 06:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
RE: Offense
Two offensive statistics stand out to me at the moment.

UNCW is tied for #9 in the country in committing fewest turnovers per game. Excellent.

UNCW is tied for #311 in country in assist to turnover ratio. Horrible.

So it seems to me that the offensive success we have had can be significantly attributed to having protected the ball, and the success we will have going forward will be capped unless and until we start moving and sharing the ball better.

If and when that happens this could be a very dangerous team.
11-28-2022 07:01 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
(11-28-2022 07:01 AM)70shawk Wrote:  Two offensive statistics stand out to me at the moment.

UNCW is tied for #9 in the country in committing fewest turnovers per game. Excellent.

UNCW is tied for #311 in country in assist to turnover ratio. Horrible.

So it seems to me that the offensive success we have had can be significantly attributed to having protected the ball, and the success we will have going forward will be capped unless and until we start moving and sharing the ball better.

If and when that happens this could be a very dangerous team.

Agree.

Assist to TO would be recitfied if we had spot up guys at the three point line that could hit the shot off the kickout. Pick and roll at the top could work as well.
11-28-2022 07:14 AM
Advertisement

billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

I Root For: UNCW
The offense did some good stuff last night. We have several guys capable on the pick and pop as well. We will be okay.
11-28-2022 08:23 AM
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

Do y’all know the deal with Victor Enoh. Hope he’s doing okay. He was an enforcer out there. Kelly playing well and it looks like Nick can swing from 4 as a defacto 5 with good offensive instincts but Victor was a nice piece.

I will say that I like every player on this roster. Absolutely no scrubs at all.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2022 10:05 AM by billthebighawksfan.)
11-28-2022 10:03 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-28-2022 10:03 AM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  Do y’all know the deal with Victor Enoh. Hope he’s doing okay. He was an enforcer out there. Kelly playing well and it looks like Nick can swing from 4 as a defacto 5 with good offensive instincts but Victor was a nice piece.

I will say that I like every player on this roster. Absolutely no scrubs at all.

I didn't even realize, doesn't look like he made the trip?
11-28-2022 10:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.