Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
David Shaw resigns from Stanford

12 years
? 96-54 overall record
? 3x Pac-12 titles
? 4x Pac-12 COY

First 9 years were stellar, last 3 it just fell apart.
11-27-2022 01:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Poster Offline
All American

I Root For: Auburn
RE: David Shaw resigns from Stanford
"Resignation" to avoid getting fired.
11-27-2022 01:18 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
(11-27-2022 01:18 PM)Poster Wrote:  "Resignation" to avoid getting fired.

No. Stanford was not going to fire him.
11-27-2022 01:32 PM
Poster Offline
All American

(11-27-2022 01:32 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  

No. Stanford was not going to fire him.

Most "resignations" (as opposed to retirements) are half-disguised firings. Especially if a coach was clearly trending downward like Shaw.

He had a great run for many years, but this is largely a "what have you done for me lately business." There are two types of coaches- those who have been fired and those that will be fired.
11-27-2022 01:38 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Any guesses on who takes the helm of the Farm?
11-27-2022 02:00 PM
Advertisement

SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU

You do not understand Stanford. They were not going to fire him. He is a very good football coach, but the college game is changing, and Stanford needs to find a way to change and still keep their core values. Stanford is not involved in the transfer portal, and they need to do a better job of marketing NIL opportunities. You can't live off of four-year recruits anymore.

Shaw was a player and an assistant coach at Stanford before becoming head coach. He was the winningest head coach in Stanford history at 96-54 and he won three Pac-12 titles and had three Rose Bowl appearances. The resignation is more about Shaw. I don't think he liked the changes going on in college football.
11-27-2022 02:08 PM
Poster Offline
All American

(11-27-2022 02:08 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  

You do not understand Stanford. They were not going to fire him. He is a very good football coach, but the college game is changing, and Stanford needs to find a way to change and still keep their core values. Stanford is not involved in the transfer portal, and they need to do a better job of marketing NIL opportunities. You can't live off of four-year recruits anymore.

Shaw was a player and an assistant coach at Stanford before becoming head coach. He was the winningest head coach in Stanford history at 96-54 and he won three Pac-12 titles and had three Rose Bowl appearances. The resignation is more about Shaw. I don't think he liked the changes going on in college football.

Well, you can believe what you want.

Very few coaches survive consecutive 3-9 seasons.
11-27-2022 02:14 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(11-27-2022 02:14 PM)Poster Wrote:  

More like, you can believe what you want. Stanford is different. Below are excerpts of Shaw speaking at the 2022 Pac-12 Media Day:
http://asaptext.com/asap_media/media/107...123261.pdf

Shaw on the transfer portal: "The people that get into Stanford typically stay at Stanford. We want to play high-level football, we want to compete for championships, as we've done, and at the same time we want high-level degrees. We want our people going to the NFL, and also we want our people going to law school,business school, starting their own companies."

"For us, just coming and going, jumping on and off of rosters at different places doesn't really fit who we recruit."

Shaw on NIL: "The people that we recruit, the people that want to be at Stanford are long-term thinkers. They don't think about short-term money; they think about long-term money. The money that exchanges hands for people to make decisions hasn't really affected us. We want our people leaving Stanford and talking about doing great things and big things."

"I'll take the comparison between cash in hand right now and a Stanford degree 20 years later, and I know which one is going to be more valuable. The people we recruit understand that."

Shaw on the importance of being a student-athlete: "Now, I want our young people to take advantage of their opportunities through NIL and through other opportunities. I think there are a lot of different things that we can continue to do to help our student-athletes through health and safety, through, yes, other monetary avenues which I think would be outstanding to help our young people."

"At the same time, I don't want to hire and fire college athletes. I want to bring them in, I want them to be students. They're 18, 19 years old, 20 years old. I want to them to enjoy college. I don't want them to be professionals. I don't want that to change, that experience to change. I want them to be on our campus, be college kids, stay up playing video games at 2:00 in the morning in the dorms. I want them to have those experiences and then leave us and become professionals in whatever their chosen profession."
11-27-2022 02:45 PM
Hootyhoo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kennesaw State
I believe it is a resignation. Shaw was a great coach and it has to be frustrating working under the limitations put on you by Stanford.

I'm curious to see what he could do elsewhere.
11-27-2022 03:01 PM
Advertisement

bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M

Stanford should absolutely dominate in the NIL era. Stanford has 74 billionaire alumni, you'd think a couple of them would care enough about their football team to throw them a $25m a year bone. And if none of them do, then maybe that tells you about their trajectory going forward.

Shaw did a fantastic job when he had a chance to win, Stanford will struggle to replace him.
11-27-2022 03:40 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
(11-27-2022 03:01 PM)Hootyhoo Wrote:  I believe it is a resignation. Shaw was a great coach and it has to be frustrating working under the limitations put on you by Stanford.

I'm curious to see what he could do elsewhere.

He'd be a home run hire for whoever hires him, especially if it's a western school. Maybe Colorado if Deion says no?
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2022 07:47 PM by Love and Honor.)
11-27-2022 07:46 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
He'd be an upgrade at Northwestern or Rice but sounds like he doesn't want to coach anymore.
11-27-2022 07:50 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(11-27-2022 02:14 PM)Poster Wrote:  Very few coaches survive consecutive 3-9 seasons.

Some can survive back to back 2-9 seasons, too. Depends on the school.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2022 08:37 PM by DFW HOYA.)
11-27-2022 08:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
Only Stanford and the school know where things stood between the two. Neither would have surprised me: him having job security after this season or him ducking out before he would have gotten the call that he was fired.

I do believe the Notre Dame win bought him time, though. Not that I wanted him to lose that game against the Irish, but I’m wondering what happens if Notre Dame wins that one and nothing else changes for Stanford thereafter (and the ASU win remains the only FBS win of the season).

As for Stanford’s program: it’s not NIL that I would think the school would suffer from. It’s the portal. Specifically, the intake valve.
11-28-2022 12:56 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(11-28-2022 12:56 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  Only Stanford and the school know where things stood between the two. Neither would have surprised me: him having job security after this season or him ducking out before he would have gotten the call that he was fired.

I do believe the Notre Dame win bought him time, though. Not that I wanted him to lose that game against the Irish, but I’m wondering what happens if Notre Dame wins that one and nothing else changes for Stanford thereafter (and the ASU win remains the only FBS win of the season).

As for Stanford’s program: it’s not NIL that I would think the school would suffer from. It’s the portal. Specifically, the intake valve.

Agreed.

Northwestern appears to be having a similar issue - a school with high academic standards that simply won't/can't use the portal in the same manner as its competition.

Note that Northwestern's high school recruiting classes are still quite good. If they hold onto their commits for this year, they'll have a top 5 recruiting class in the Big Ten (with the most 4-star recruits in the Big Ten West) and top 30 in the nation. There's NIL money there for sure and the top academic/athletic combo recruits find Northwestern extremely attractive (which is probably even more the case with Stanford). Stanford's current commits (which admittedly may be gone with the coaching turning over) are similarly quite good with being #4 in the Pac-12 as it stands today.

However, the transfer portal is where it's much rougher. Places like Stanford and Northwestern can spend a lot of time finding the right academic/athletic fits in the high school recruiting process, but that's much more difficult with the more free-for-all nature of the transfer portal.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2022 01:17 PM by Frank the Tank.)
11-28-2022 01:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(11-28-2022 01:14 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(11-28-2022 12:56 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  Only Stanford and the school know where things stood between the two. Neither would have surprised me: him having job security after this season or him ducking out before he would have gotten the call that he was fired.

Agreed.

Northwestern appears to be having a similar issue - a school with high academic standards that simply won't/can't use the portal in the same manner as its competition.

Note that Northwestern's high school recruiting classes are still quite good. If they hold onto their commits for this year, they'll have a top 5 recruiting class in the Big Ten (with the most 4-star recruits in the Big Ten West) and top 30 in the nation. There's NIL money there for sure and the top academic/athletic combo recruits find Northwestern extremely attractive (which is probably even more the case with Stanford). Stanford's current commits (which admittedly may be gone with the coaching turning over) are similarly quite good with being #4 in the Pac-12 as it stands today.

However, the transfer portal is where it's much rougher. Places like Stanford and Northwestern can spend a lot of time finding the right academic/athletic fits in the high school recruiting process, but that's much more difficult with the more free-for-all nature of the transfer portal.

ND is also handcuffing itself regarding the transfer portal and undergrad transfers.

ND policy is to not take undergrad transfers unless they are on a path to graduate from ND if accepted.

That is why ND undergrad transfers are coming from places like Navy, Northwestern, , Yale, etc.

Grad transfers are obviously different (ND has had success there and is looking for a QB like Devin Leary), but ND is a dinosaur when it comes to undergrads and the transfer portal.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2022 02:31 PM by TerryD.)
11-28-2022 02:27 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(11-28-2022 01:14 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

Agreed.

Perhaps Stanford would do better in the portal if they didn't hate fun.
11-28-2022 02:34 PM
Advertisement

Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
So basically: you’re criticizing schools for caring about their academic mission?
11-28-2022 02:42 PM
EdwordL Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: KU, WVU
(11-27-2022 02:14 PM)Poster Wrote:  

They've survived worse than that at Kansas.
11-28-2022 03:34 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(11-28-2022 02:42 PM)Erictelevision Wrote:  So basically: you’re criticizing schools for caring about their academic mission?

Having standards is good and one thing. How those standards can potentially differ for student athletes, athletic scholarships, and then transferring in general is another.
11-29-2022 10:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.