Thamel: Auburn in discussions with Hugh Freeze
11-26-2022 10:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
RE: Thamel: Auburn in discussions with Hugh Freeze
(11-26-2022 10:07 AM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/15...7a-qcsAAAA

Yup … here is another source as well

https://www.si.com/college/2022/11/26/au...ze-sources
11-26-2022 10:29 AM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
Guess Kiffin shoulda won the Egg Bowl.
11-26-2022 10:29 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(11-26-2022 10:29 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  Guess Kiffin shoulda won the Egg Bowl.

Honestly Freeze is the better option … 07-coffee3
11-26-2022 10:47 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(11-26-2022 10:47 AM)Maize Wrote:  

I would not be happy with either one. Freeze isn't mature enough for the job. And I'm sorry but past mistakes sometimes are an indicator of future ones. His failures at Ole Miss were both in recruiting, with in-your-face cheating, and off the field. IMO, this is another boondoggle move by Jimmy Rane that doesn't need to be. The trustees aren't looking for leaders, they are looking for people they can control, and that's a crappy place to be.

With Kiffin he's with you until he's not and you'll never know when that will be because he is a financial ladder climber and is wholly mercenary.

I've kept in mind the characteristics we should be looking for, ability to teach fundamentals, ability to pick and manage a staff, CEO approach to delegating authority, adaptability, and resilience and there is only one right now I would pursue.

The rest, including the aforementioned, are merely headline grabbers, or as they say in Texas, "All hat and no cattle."
11-26-2022 11:17 AM
Dawgpile Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: State
(11-26-2022 11:17 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

I would not be happy with either one. Freeze isn't mature enough for the job. And I'm sorry but past mistakes sometimes are an indicator of future ones. His failures at Ole Miss were both in recruiting, with in-your-face cheating, and off the field. IMO, this is another boondoggle move by Jimmy Rane that doesn't need to be. The trustees aren't looking for leaders, they are looking for people they can control, and that's a crappy place to be.

With Kiffin he's with you until he's not and you'll never know when that will be because he is a financial ladder climber and is wholly mercenary.

I've kept in mind the characteristics we should be looking for, ability to teach fundamentals, ability to pick and manage a staff, CEO approach to delegating authority, adaptability, and resilience and there is only one right now I would pursue.

The rest, including the aforementioned, are merely headline grabbers, or as they say in Texas, "All hat and no cattle."

Given the reported egregious things that Freeze did at OM, I would be absolutely shocked if the SEC office green-lighted his return.
11-26-2022 11:22 AM
Advertisement

DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Sounds like Jimmy Rane is a J.R. Ewing of Ewing Oil type-loves to have control (been on a "Dallas" binge here lately).
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2022 11:55 AM by DawgNBama.)
11-26-2022 11:44 AM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
Freeze is basically Gus without a moral compass. He will upset Saban once or twice, but I doubt he does much more than that. He'd be better off staying in his cushy gig at Liberty and dominating a weak CUSA, where he has the resource advantage over every other team in the league. At some point, teams in weak leagues that can consistently make the CFP as the #6 champ will start landing better and better players. Just look at Gonzaga for an example of that.
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2022 12:28 PM by CitrusUCF.)
11-26-2022 12:28 PM
Poster Offline
All American

I Root For: Auburn
(11-26-2022 12:28 PM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  Freeze is basically Gus without a moral compass. He will upset Saban once or twice, but I doubt he does much more than that. He'd be better off staying in his cushy gig at Liberty and dominating a weak CUSA, where he has the resource advantage over every other team in the league. At some point, teams in weak leagues that can consistently make the CFP as the #6 champ will start landing better and better players. Just look at Gonzaga for an example of that.

Getting your team into the playoffs as the #6 champ every year is easier said than done.

They'd have to be considered the very best Group of 5 team every year. Not merely one of the best Group of 5 teams.
11-26-2022 12:31 PM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
(11-26-2022 12:31 PM)Poster Wrote:  
(11-26-2022 12:28 PM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  Freeze is basically Gus without a moral compass. He will upset Saban once or twice, but I doubt he does much more than that. He'd be better off staying in his cushy gig at Liberty and dominating a weak CUSA, where he has the resource advantage over every other team in the league. At some point, teams in weak leagues that can consistently make the CFP as the #6 champ will start landing better and better players. Just look at Gonzaga for an example of that.

Getting your team into the playoffs as the #6 champ every year is easier said than done.

They'd have to be considered the very best Group of 5 team every year. Not merely one of the best Group of 5 teams.

And given that Liberty has a tremendous resource advantage against CUSA, they have a pretty good shot to dominate the conference most years. Not everyone is walkover, but Liberty should win CUSA more than not. And yes, you have to be the best G5 champ, but if you can roll through your league and schedule 4 P5 games and win 3/4, you're in most years.

The advantage to Auburn is that the SEC will probably get 3-4 teams in most years, so you don't have to even win your division, much less the conference.
11-26-2022 12:39 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
1) I guess Auburn didn't want Kiffin after all, and Ole Miss ended up outbidding Auburn for him to stay. I wonder what Ole Miss people think about that.
2) I wonder if it's true that Sankey has silently banned Freeze from the SEC. We'll find out.
3) On the field, he'll do at Auburn what he did at Ole Miss. He'll go 9-3, 10-2 on average with a couple of wins over Alabama. Whether he has learned from the off the field stuff remains to be seen...I hope he has.

It's hard for a school to find a coach that competes for national championships. Only a handful of schools have one. The rest of us are going through coaches every 3-5 years.
11-26-2022 12:39 PM
Advertisement

GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
(11-26-2022 12:39 PM)johnintx Wrote:  1) I guess Auburn didn't want Kiffin after all, and Ole Miss ended up outbidding Auburn for him to stay. I wonder what Ole Miss people think about that.
2) I wonder if it's true that Sankey has silently banned Freeze from the SEC. We'll find out.
3) On the field, he'll do at Auburn what he did at Ole Miss. He'll go 9-3, 10-2 on average with a couple of wins over Alabama. Whether he has learned from the off the field stuff remains to be seen...I hope he has.

It's hard for a school to find a coach that competes for national championships. Only a handful of schools have one. The rest of us are going through coaches every 3-5 years.

As an Aubie (my #2 team), I'd REALLY hope that AU isn't in negotiations with an ineligible candidate... ...but I've been wrong before, especially with respect to AU coaching searches... 03-phew03-lmfao
11-26-2022 12:57 PM
Poster Offline
All American

I Root For: Auburn
(11-26-2022 12:39 PM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  
(11-26-2022 12:31 PM)Poster Wrote:  

And given that Liberty has a tremendous resource advantage against CUSA, they have a pretty good shot to dominate the conference most years. Not everyone is walkover, but Liberty should win CUSA more than not. And yes, you have to be the best G5 champ, but if you can roll through your league and schedule 4 P5 games and win 3/4, you're in most years.

The advantage to Auburn is that the SEC will probably get 3-4 teams in most years, so you don't have to even win your division, much less the conference.

Half of Liberty's problem would be that C-USA would be considered inferior to the MWC, AAC and even Sun Belt, and that most of Liberty's Power 5 opponents cancelled on them.

Liberty would be out of the playoffs if they suffer just one loss. And even if they go 13-0, there's no guarantee they'd get in.
11-26-2022 01:11 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(11-26-2022 11:22 AM)Dawgpile Wrote:  
(11-26-2022 11:17 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

Given the reported egregious things that Freeze did at OM, I would be absolutely shocked if the SEC office green-lighted his return.

6 years is an eternity, and he has rehabilitated his image by coaching at that Pargon of Virtue, Liberty. But seriously, there is no show cause, and I'm unsure what threats the SEC office could hang over Auburn's head to keep them from taking their 3rd or 4th choice for head coach. As mentioned above, this move is being driven by the boosters, and if I was in Auburn's Administration, I'd be much more worried about pleasing them than about pleasing the SEC office.
11-26-2022 01:16 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

Basketball is very different, and Mark Few is a truly outstanding coach relative to his peers, perhaps more so than anyone in CFB. Few was doing great things with worse players for years, and now that he has better players, he's in the thick of the title hunt every year it seems. Take the most successful coaches in CFB today and give them worse players at every single position for 12 games and see how they do. Not many would do well, perhaps the best would be the Pirate as he's won with less talent for decades.
11-26-2022 01:20 PM
Gamenole Offline
All American

I Root For: S Carolina & Fla State
New Mexico State up 21-7 on Liberty with halftime less than 2 minutes away...perhaps Coach Freeze is a wee bit distracted this afternoon?
11-26-2022 01:22 PM
Advertisement

bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

(11-26-2022 01:22 PM)Gamenole Wrote:  New Mexico State up 21-7 on Liberty with halftime less than 2 minutes away...perhaps Coach Freeze is a wee bit distracted this afternoon?

I wonder how many games this Auburn coaching search has cost Ole' Miss, and now Liberty? 3? 4?
11-26-2022 01:30 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Why are these schools going after toxic coaches? There been reports Art Briles name came up as well. I don't know why these schools are so desperate to hire coaches that will be very toxic to your program.
11-26-2022 01:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(11-26-2022 01:30 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  
(11-26-2022 01:22 PM)Gamenole Wrote:  New Mexico State up 21-7 on Liberty with halftime less than 2 minutes away...perhaps Coach Freeze is a wee bit distracted this afternoon?

I wonder how many games this Auburn coaching search has cost Ole' Miss, and now Liberty? 3? 4?

I'm not certain that Auburn has talked to either Kiffin or Freeze. Both are represented by Jimmy Sexton. Since he also represents Jimbo you had better study up on the guy as he is one excellent agent for his clients, and one total snake to deal with for a school. Sexton did the same thing every good season Tuberville had and yes it cost us games.

Whatever association college football winds up in it needs rules pertaining to when active coaches may be spoken with, negotiated with, or hired.
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2022 01:49 PM by JRsec.)
11-26-2022 01:48 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

(11-26-2022 01:37 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Why are these schools going after toxic coaches? There been reports Art Briles name came up as well. I don't know why these schools are so desperate to hire coaches that will be very toxic to your program.

Art Briles did what many successful coaches have done in the past, he tried to keep his best players on the field and win games. He didn't do anything illegal, and he certainly didn't stoop to the level of some (like Paterno as one example). Heck, Bear Bryant nearly killed about 20 Aggies at Junction and he's celebrated as a hero for it, if he'd done that in the days of cell phone cameras and the internet he'd be a pariah.

Briles' problem is not what he did, but rather the transparent and robust investigation bringing all of his dirty laundry out into the light of day. I'm not defending him, but I do think it's reasonable to evaluate his behavior in comparison to his peers. Inflict a similar investigation on every single P5 coach today and there would be a lot of people getting similarly blackballed.

As far as head coaching opportunities for Briles? There won't be any in the SEC unless/until he rehabilitates elsewhere, and nobody elsewhere is giving him a chance. Throw in his age...I think he's done.
11-26-2022 01:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.