Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2023 Football Transfer Portal: Incoming
Bookmark and Share
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
2023 Football Transfer Portal: Incoming
I know we've had varying opinions in the past on whether the recruiting thread should be kept to high school recruits or all recruits, whether it should include offers or just commits, etc. So I thought it seemed like a good idea to keep transfer portal news and discussion a little more organized this year.

I'll also make an "Outgoing" post for JMU players entering the 2023 portal that will hopefully be far less active than this one. Have to expect portal activity is about to ramp up soon as a lot of teams' seasons come to an end.

I'll do my best to keep this post updated with listing out commits, offers, and visits as they're posted here in the replies.

Commits:
NDSU WR Phoenix Sproles(1 year)
Arizona QB Jordan McCloud(2 years)
Arkansas State P Ryan Hanson(2 years)
Stony Brook RB Ty Son Lawton(1 year)
Elon DB Tre'Von Jones(1 year)
USF WR Omarion Dollison(2 years)
St. Francis WR Elijah Sarratt(Josh's brother, 3 years)
Wake Forest QB Brett Griffis(4 years)
Charlotte TE Taylor Thompson(2 years)
Marshall DL Immanuel Bush(3 years?)
Pitt TE Kyi Wright(2 years)

Offers:
Colorado State WR Melquan Stovall(2 years) - Committed to Arizona State
Norfolk State WR Quan Felton(2 years) - Committed to VT
UNK(D2) S Darius Swanson(1 year) - Committed to Tulane
Charleston Southern WR Seth Anderson(3 years) - Committed to Iowa
Towson DL Jesus Gibbs(2 years)
Fordham WR Dequece Carter(1 year) - Committed to Indiana
FIU WR Tyrese Chambers(2 years) - Top 8 no JMU
BC S Jason Maitre(1 year) - Committed to Wisconsin
Syracuse WR Anthony Queeley(1 year) - Committed to Georgia Southern
NDSU CB Marques Sigle(2 years) - Committed to K State
WCU WR Raphael Williams, Jr.(2 years) - Committed to San Diego State
St. Francis WR Makai Jackson(3 years) - Committed to App State
Richmond OL Joe More(1 year) - Committed to Syracuse
Wofford DL Micheal Mason(1 year)
Vanderbilt RB Re'Mahn Davis(1 year) - Committed to Kentucky
Georgia State DL Thomas Gore(2 years) - Committed to Miami(FL)
Arkansas DB Khari Johnson(3 years) - Committed to Boston College
Wofford WR Landon Parker(2 years) - Committed to Troy
WMU DE Marshawn Kneeland(2 years) - Committed to Colorado
Kent State RB Marquez Cooper(2 years) - Committed to Ball State
Georgia State LB Jamil Muhammad(2 years) - Committed to USC
Syracuse WR Courtney Jackson(2 years)
Temple DE Darian Varner(3 years? Maybe 2) - Committed to Wisconsin
Colorado State WR Ty McCullouch(2 years) - Committed to Montana State
Iowa DB Terry Roberts(1 year)
Louisiana WR Dontae Fleming(2 years) - Committed to Tulane
Georgia State S Antavious Lane(2 years) - Committed to UNC
Boise State TE Tyneil Hopper(1 year) - Committed to Michigan State
South Carolina S RJ Roderick(1 year?)
Liberty CB Chris Megginson(1 year) - Committed to SMU

Visits:
VMI K Jerry Rice(2 years)
Colorado State WR Melquan Stovall(2 years) - Committed to Arizona State
Charleston Southern WR Seth Anderson(3 years) - Committed to Iowa
Wofford WR Landon Parker(2 years) - Committed to Troy
Texas State K Seth Keller(1 year) - Committed to Kansas
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2023 06:27 PM by KickItToScotty.)
11-21-2022 04:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMU85 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes of JMU
RE: 2023 Football Transfer Portal: Incoming
11-21-2022 05:31 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

11-25-2022 09:46 PM
MarginalDuke Online
1st String

Excited for the McCloud commit! Another QB with G5 starting experience and is a dual threat!

Also saw we offered the Norfolk St. wideout, Quan Felton, who put up 100+ yards on us, apparently he’s attracting a lot of FBS interest.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2022 11:58 PM by MarginalDuke.)
11-25-2022 10:49 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

Another QB from FL. Was a 7A all-state player, rated as a 3 star prospect when he signed with USF. Started 20 games for USF before transferring to Arizona. Got injured early at AZ and never really played after that.

It will be interesting to see if Cig brings in a second transfer QB to generate more competition and some depth in the QB room. If that happens I wouldn’t be surprised if JMU sees one of ours transfer.
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2022 12:23 AM by Longhorn.)
11-26-2022 12:22 AM
fishingduke12 Offline
All American

From what I've read, arizona brought him in as a bit of a stop gap at the qb position and was recruited over after his injury which is why he didnt play this year. Doesnt seem like he was disliked by any of the fans

I could definitely see atkins transfer after this. Would like to see Barnett stick around and compete for the job since we cant continue to rely on transfer qbs.
11-26-2022 07:38 AM
Advertisement

Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-26-2022 07:38 AM)fishingduke12 Wrote:  From what I've read, arizona brought him in as a bit of a stop gap at the qb position and was recruited over after his injury which is why he didnt play this year. Doesnt seem like he was disliked by any of the fans

I could definitely see atkins transfer after this. Would like to see Barnett stick around and compete for the job since we cant continue to rely on transfer qbs.

It seems transfer QB’s are the answer, however, as JMU’s only “homegrown” QB of any great success was Landers.

Cawley, Rascati, Schor, DiNucci, and Centeio were all transfers.
11-26-2022 09:19 AM
JMU Online
All American

^ Vad Lee
11-26-2022 09:29 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I see McCloud & Alonzo battling for the job. How many seasons of eligibility does McCloud have left?
11-26-2022 09:39 AM
hburg Online

I Root For: James Madison
(11-26-2022 09:39 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  I see McCloud & Alonzo battling for the job. How many seasons of eligibility does McCloud have left?
2 years from what was shared in the football recruiting thread.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
11-26-2022 10:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

(11-26-2022 09:19 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  
(11-26-2022 07:38 AM)fishingduke12 Wrote:  From what I've read, arizona brought him in as a bit of a stop gap at the qb position and was recruited over after his injury which is why he didnt play this year. Doesnt seem like he was disliked by any of the fans

It seems transfer QB’s are the answer, however, as JMU’s only “homegrown” QB of any great success was Landers.

Cole Johnson was pretty successful.

Schor was technically a transfer, but he never played or even suited up for anyone else I believe. Never went to Miami because they pulled his ship and spent spring at JC, which was the off-season. Then came to jmu that fall.

He played four years at JMU. I consider him to not really be a transfer. He’s a jmu developed guy the whole way.
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2022 10:50 AM by Duke Dawg.)
11-26-2022 10:47 AM
Advertisement

KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

I wouldn't be surprised to see Atkins transfer. If he does stay then hopefully that's a good sign that the coaches still see him developing in to a starter here.
11-26-2022 10:53 AM
DooX Offline
1st String

Don’t forget the Q either!
11-26-2022 11:38 AM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-26-2022 09:29 AM)JMU Wrote:  ^ Vad Lee

Yes! How could I have forgotten Vad! 04-bow

Should have also added Johnson (to the list of homegrown QBs).

Cawley, Rascati, Schor, Lee, DiNucci and Centeio. That’s a pretty impressive list of successful transfer QBs.
11-28-2022 01:12 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-26-2022 10:47 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  
(11-26-2022 09:19 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  

Cole Johnson was pretty successful.

Schor was technically a transfer, but he never played or even suited up for anyone else I believe. Never went to Miami because they pulled his ship and spent spring at JC, which was the off-season. Then came to jmu that fall.

He played four years at JMU. I consider him to not really be a transfer. He’s a jmu developed guy the whole way.

I get your point, but Schor didn’t come to JMU out of High School. He transferred in as an unknown quantity. After Schor subbed in for an injured Vad against Richmond in a painful loss, we didn’t really know what Schor brought to the table, or how he’d turn out. Schor was a transfer who developed at JMU, just like all the other transfer QBs in JMU FB history.
11-28-2022 01:17 PM
jmu98 Online
All American

(11-28-2022 01:12 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  

Cawley, Rascati, Schor, Lee, DiNucci and Centeio. That’s a pretty impressive list of successful transfer QBs.

I would remove Cawley, Schor and Rascati from the list as they were guys that played 3-4 years at JMU and were developed here. Lee, DiNucci and Centieo all got actual playing time at other schools so I look at them differently.
11-28-2022 01:18 PM
Advertisement

Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-28-2022 01:18 PM)jmu98 Wrote:  

I would remove Cawley, Schor and Rascati from the list as they were guys that played 3-4 years at JMU and were developed here. Lee, DiNucci and Centieo all got actual playing time at other schools so I look at them differently.

Look at it anyway you want, but all of your “exceptions” still transferred in to JMU. Until they proved they were “the man” at JMU they were question marks as players that define the risks associated with all transfers.

In the same way let’s not forget that there were other transfer QBs who never panned out, or who saw the field for JMU.

Instead of trying to complicate or blur the definitions of what qualifies as a transfer vs. homegrown talent, stick to the bright line: A player who didn’t sign with JMU out of High School, but who then comes to JMU is a transfer. It is irrelevant to a player’s classification when discussing how the transfer’s talent is developed at JMU. Cawley, Rascati, etc. are all Dukes now, but they came to JMU as transfers.
11-28-2022 01:29 PM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

(11-28-2022 01:29 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  
(11-28-2022 01:18 PM)jmu98 Wrote:  

Look at it anyway you want, but all of your “exceptions” still transferred in to JMU. Until they proved they were “the man” at JMU they were question marks as players that define the risks associated with all transfers.

In the same way let’s not forget that there were other transfer QBs who never panned out, or who saw the field for JMU.

Instead of trying to complicate or blur the definitions of what qualifies as a transfer vs. homegrown talent, stick to the bright line: A player who didn’t sign with JMU out of High School, but who then comes to JMU is a transfer. It is irrelevant to a player’s classification when discussing how the transfer’s talent is developed at JMU. Cawley, Rascati, etc. are all Dukes now, but they came to JMU as transfers.

Cawley and Rascati, yes. they both played games at their previous schools.

but disagree on Schor. He never was on a team at Miami (they pulled his ship in the summer) or at Junior College (was at JC only for spring semester which was the offseason).

he never suited up or stood on a sideline or put on a jersey for anyone else but JMU.

he's 100% a JMU guy.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2022 01:33 PM by Duke Dawg.)
11-28-2022 01:33 PM
CarRamrod Offline
1st String

Can we get this train back on the tracks? The portal is going to start lighting up like a Xmas tree.

I noticed our Director of Player Personnel is following Trevion Cooley, just announced he's transferring from Louisville. He's a native of Knightdale, NC and had a decent career at Louisville. I can't tell if he's looking to move laterally in P5 or is open to G5. It may be important to pickup a transfer RB assuming we are losing J. Green.
11-28-2022 01:35 PM
Bjmaddy12 Offline
Water Engineer

(11-28-2022 01:35 PM)CarRamrod Wrote:  Can we get this train back on the tracks? The portal is going to start lighting up like a Xmas tree.

I noticed our Director of Player Personnel is following Trevion Cooley, just announced he's transferring from Louisville. He's a native of Knightdale, NC and had a decent career at Louisville. I can't tell if he's looking to move laterally in P5 or is open to G5. It may be important to pickup a transfer RB assuming we are losing J. Green.

Yes back to the speculation and predictions we all love and know best! I don’t see us pulling Cooley since there are no coaching ties that I have notice with him. It’d be nice but I think that type of RB will be looking for the keys to the rush O and not be okay with RB committee situation with a sunbelt conference caliber team. I more see him going to an AAC program or a lower P5 that has a hole at RB. I’m most excited about the defensive transfers that we’ll have a shot at! Gaining depth on the Dline and secondary is paramount to our success. I mean to push the D stats in front of a transfer and say this is the defense you could be a part of and thrive will be pretty powerful stuff!

Side note: Mettlen’s podcast were saying technically Ukwu could come back if he wants to. I can’t imagine our D if we get him back and get a couple space eaters in the middle to help him and Carpenter excel!
11-28-2022 04:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.