Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2022 Bowl Games
Bookmark and Share
Schadenfreude Online
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
2022 Bowl Games
Bowling Green has not been eligible for a bowl game for some time, so my Spidey-sense about these things is rusty. Is there any way for us to suss out which teams might be going where?

It appears the MAC may only have five or six eligible teams, so I would think the most likely locales are Detroit, Mobile, Montgomery, Boise, Tuscon and the Bahamas, and not any of the G5 coalition options.

My early thinking: Our new athletic director is at Arizona right now, so he might be delighted about his new football Falcons playing out there. He even joked (I think) on Twitter about lobbying for that game.

Boise is another destination that might make sense for us given that we haven't been bowling in years and are just thrilled to be in the post-season.

I also tend to think of Detroit and Mobile as more prestigious games for the MAC, but is that still the case? Are these the places where division champs tend to go, or not?

I have no sense of how many people Bowling Green will bring to a bowl game this year. On the one hand, our fans are hungry for this. On the other, we've been beaten down a bit by years of bad football.
11-18-2022 10:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
RE: 2022 Bowl Games
(11-18-2022 10:42 AM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  Bowling Green has not been eligible for a bowl game for some time, so my Spidey-sense about these things is rusty. Is there any way for us to suss out which teams might be going where?

It appears the MAC may only have five or six eligible teams, so I would think the most likely locales are Detroit, Mobile, Montgomery, Boise, Tuscon and the Bahamas, and not any of the G5 coalition options.

My early thinking: Our new athletic director is at Arizona right now, so he might be delighted about his new football Falcons playing out there. He even joked (I think) on Twitter about lobbying for that game.

Boise is another destination that might make sense for us given that we haven't been bowling in years and are just thrilled to be in the post-season.

I also tend to think of Detroit and Mobile as more prestigious games for the MAC, but is that still the case? Are these the places where division champs tend to go, or not?

I have no sense of how many people Bowling Green will bring to a bowl game this year. On the one hand, our fans are hungry for this. On the other, we've been beaten down a bit by years of bad football.

I think Toledo goes out to Arizona, because of Barstool's love affair with the school. Live show before the BG game and the basketball game in Philly. I think BG goes to Detroit, if they don't make the MAC title game, if they do then possibly Mobile.
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2022 10:47 AM by utpotts.)
11-18-2022 10:47 AM
Schadenfreude Online

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(11-18-2022 10:47 AM)utpotts Wrote:  I think Toledo goes out to Arizona, because of Barstool's love affair with the school. Live show before the BG game and the basketball game in Philly. I think BG goes to Detroit, if they don't make the MAC title game, if they do then possibly Mobile.

Interesting. Bowling Green would be a good choice for Detroit given the distance. We've brought fans there before. I just figured other schools might be eager for the opportunity and that the bowl might look at least as favorably on Toledo or Eastern Michigan.

Has the Detroit game been avoiding inviting participants in the MAC title game lately? I can see the logic there. Teams and fans might prefer to not make a repeat trip to the same location. On the other hand, a chance to play a Big Ten opponent is pretty great.
11-18-2022 02:28 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(11-18-2022 02:28 PM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  
(11-18-2022 10:47 AM)utpotts Wrote:  I think Toledo goes out to Arizona, because of Barstool's love affair with the school. Live show before the BG game and the basketball game in Philly. I think BG goes to Detroit, if they don't make the MAC title game, if they do then possibly Mobile.

Interesting. Bowling Green would be a good choice for Detroit given the distance. We've brought fans there before. I just figured other schools might be eager for the opportunity and that the bowl might look at least as favorably on Toledo or Eastern Michigan.

Has the Detroit game been avoiding inviting participants in the MAC title game lately? I can see the logic there. Teams and fans might prefer to not make a repeat trip to the same location. On the other hand, a chance to play a Big Ten opponent is pretty great.

Its just been a bowl with easy pickens if EMU, WMU or CMU is eligible for a decent crowd. Toledo hasnt been there since 2010. BG since 2013. WMU in 2021. EMU in 2019? The ADs will do their best to get a matchup and destination fun and intriguing. A 6-6 Miami or Ball State probably has less pull than a division Champ.
11-18-2022 04:02 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

Do you really want to go downtown Detroit twice in 4 weeks?? I know its a lot better now than 10/ 15 years ago, but its going to be cold and the city of Detroit really doesn't care if the bowl game happens or not.
Also I think it's a hard ask to get a fan base fired up to back to Detroit for basically an exhibition game, whether you win or lose the MAC title game. I think Mobile, Arizona, Myrtle Beach are much better destinations or more a reward for a good season.
11-18-2022 04:22 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-18-2022 04:22 PM)utpotts Wrote:  

Do you really want to go downtown Detroit twice in 4 weeks?? I know its a lot better now than 10/ 15 years ago, but its going to be cold and the city of Detroit really doesn't care if the bowl game happens or not.
Also I think it's a hard ask to get a fan base fired up to back to Detroit for basically an exhibition game, whether you win or lose the MAC title game. I think Mobile, Arizona, Myrtle Beach are much better destinations or more a reward for a good season.
As a Toledo fan, absolutely. I love Detroit. Have nights in Greektown if I want them... If the opponent is right, why wouldnt you want that bowl game once a decade?

If we lose in Detroit, then the kids need a getaway. Maybe having 75% of the fans not yelling at the coach would be good for em.

But Detroit will gladly take BG, UT or EMU if they also want it because the gate will be much better than if Buffalo, Miami or Ball State is the choice. Ohio probably would travel a nice bunch too.
11-18-2022 05:59 PM
Advertisement

utpotts Offline
Heisman

Well you can punt on Michigan State in Detroit after losing to Indiana today.
11-19-2022 04:00 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
If the MAC Champion has gone to the Detroit Bowl, it hasn't been in a long time.

I think the MAC Champ usually goes to Mobile.

I don't think any of the MAC's bowl games are more prestigious than the other. Other than the one that gets the MAC champ.

But no one likes the Potato Bowl of course. You're usually playing a pretty good team in that Bowl, tho, so if you get the Win, it's vs a good team.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2022 11:24 PM by Bronco'14.)
11-19-2022 11:22 PM
Schadenfreude Online

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
I get the feeling picking these games is more or less a dart throw, but Jerry Palm has it:
-- Toledo versus San Jose State in Arizona.
-- Eastern Michigan versus Minnesota in Detroit.
-- Buffalo versus Duke in the Tampa Gasparilla Bowl.
-- Bowling Green versus Utah State in Boise.
-- Ohio versus Marshall in the Orlando Cure Bowl.
-- Miami versus Alabama-Birmingham in the Bahamas Bowl.

He slots Connecticut in Mobile against Georgia Southern, listing this as a "Pool versus Sun Belt" game. He also puts Liberty versus South Alabama in Montgomery, a game he lists as "Pool versus Pool." I thought these were both MAC games, but perhaps this is has changed?
11-20-2022 10:05 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-20-2022 10:05 AM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  I get the feeling picking these games is more or less a dart throw, but Jerry Palm has it:

He slots Connecticut in Mobile against Georgia Southern, listing this as a "Pool versus Sun Belt" game. He also puts Liberty versus South Alabama in Montgomery, a game he lists as "Pool versus Pool." I thought these were both MAC games, but perhaps this is has changed?

There are tons of secondary vs. secondary games with the G5 leagues. The MAC will be short spots and the SBC has too many, so lots will just fill in sporatically. Also Uconn and Liberty as independants would have been leftover, but thankful to our parity they are safe. Those teams are only 1-1 vs. the MAC though, so you can thank UMass and CUSA for lots of the wins.
11-20-2022 10:27 AM
MacLord Offline
All American

I Root For:
Speaking of parity, who are people thinking is the G5 rep in whatever is the big bowl this year? Nobody really standing tall. UCF crapped out. Tulane? Cincy? UTSA?
11-20-2022 10:44 AM
Advertisement

Love and Honor Online
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
Bahamas Bowl usually is a team that becomes bowl eligible early because of the passport requirements.

Fun fact, 9 of 12 MAC teams have played in Boise. EMU, BSU, and Miami are the three that haven't so I wouldn't be surprised to see Tuesday's "Redbird Rivalry" winner sent out to Idaho.
11-20-2022 02:42 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(11-20-2022 10:44 AM)MacLord Wrote:  Speaking of parity, who are people thinking is the G5 rep in whatever is the big bowl this year? Nobody really standing tall. UCF crapped out. Tulane? Cincy? UTSA?

I believe the AAC championship game pits the two highest ranked winners. Thus it will be the winner of the Cincinnati/Tulane game.

MAC didn't want to make that change and go away with divisions. This is part of the reason why I think the MAC should at least go to a 3 division setup and take 2 out of the 3 best division winners.
11-20-2022 03:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(11-20-2022 10:27 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  
(11-20-2022 10:05 AM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  I get the feeling picking these games is more or less a dart throw, but Jerry Palm has it:

There are tons of secondary vs. secondary games with the G5 leagues. The MAC will be short spots and the SBC has too many, so lots will just fill in sporadically. ...

I wouldn't be surprised if any given bowl picker hasn't done thorough homework for their Go5 picks.

The bowl itself lists itself as MAC vs Sunbelt. However, given that the MAC cannot fill all six of its bowls, never mind its two bowl pool ties, it wouldn't be a shocker if Liberty ended up in Mobile.

IIRC, there was a bowl cycle where the MAC champion went to Mobile, but that wasn't continued when the most recent bowl cycle started.
11-20-2022 04:22 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO

Barstool might want Toledo, but will E$PN let that happen? What pick does the Arizona Bowl have in the MAC bowl game pecking order??
11-20-2022 05:08 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(11-20-2022 05:08 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  

Barstool might want Toledo, but will E$PN let that happen? What pick does the Arizona Bowl have in the MAC bowl game pecking order??

There is not set pick order any more ... as College Football News says:
Quote: The MAC doesn’t have a true pecking order. The bowls matchups are based on best possible games and geography.
11-20-2022 06:05 PM
Advertisement

Schadenfreude Online

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
I think MidnightBlueandGold raises a good question. At some point, money speaks. It may be that the MAC describes the bowl picks as a consensus approach because it is not a simple pecking order, and the actual decisions are too complicated to summarize in a bowl games chart. But at the end of the day, commerce comes down to contracts.

My impression had been that the Arizona Bowl game had a somewhat disreputable reputation and was a low-budget game. (Today's New York Times doesn't exactly knock this idea down.) On the other hand, they were lined up to a quite good Central Michigan in their game last year until the pandemic scrambled the post season. The fact that they had this big promotion at the Bowling Green-Toledo game could mean they have their eye on Toledo.
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2022 08:44 AM by Schadenfreude.)
11-21-2022 08:42 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(11-21-2022 08:42 AM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  I think MidnightBlueandGold raises a good question. At some point, money speaks. It may be that the MAC describes the bowl picks as a consensus approach because it is not a simple pecking order, and the actual decisions are too complicated to summarize in a bowl games chart. But at the end of the day, commerce comes down to contracts.

My impression had been that the Arizona Bowl game had a somewhat disreputable reputation and was a low-budget game. (Today's New York Times doesn't exactly knock this idea down.) On the other hand, they were lined up to a quite good Central Michigan in their game last year until the pandemic scrambled the post season. The fact that they had this big promotion at the Bowling Green-Toledo game could mean they have their eye on Toledo.

Or BGSU.
11-21-2022 01:33 PM
Schadenfreude Online

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(11-21-2022 01:33 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
(11-21-2022 08:42 AM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  I think MidnightBlueandGold raises a good question. At some point, money speaks. It may be that the MAC describes the bowl picks as a consensus approach because it is not a simple pecking order, and the actual decisions are too complicated to summarize in a bowl games chart. But at the end of the day, commerce comes down to contracts.

Or BGSU.

I would be delighted.
11-21-2022 06:11 PM
Schadenfreude Online

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Is Eastern Michigan the best bet for Detroit at this point, I wonder?
12-03-2022 06:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.