Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If UMd and USCe wanted back in the ACC
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
If UMd and USCe wanted back in the ACC
Forget about the tv money for now, the ACC can negotiate better 13 years from now. So what if UMd and USCe are not happy with their current conferences expansion toward the West, they see a small window to rejoin the ACC before the ACC becomes full.

Would you as a fan like to see these 2 back?

Would the ACC take them back?

How would the fans from these 2 schools feel about being back in the ACC?
10-23-2022 02:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: If UMd and USCe wanted back in the ACC
(10-23-2022 02:33 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  Forget about the tv money for now, the ACC can negotiate better 13 years from now. So what if UMd and USCe are not happy with their current conferences expansion toward the West, they see a small window to rejoin the ACC before the ACC becomes full.

South Carolina - in a heartbeat.

Maryland - tbh, I'd have to think about, but probably yes.
10-23-2022 03:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(10-23-2022 03:09 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(10-23-2022 02:33 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  Forget about the tv money for now, the ACC can negotiate better 13 years from now. So what if UMd and USCe are not happy with their current conferences expansion toward the West, they see a small window to rejoin the ACC before the ACC becomes full.

The issue is not the ACC forgetting about the money until 2036, the issue is Maryland and South Carolina saying bye-bye to 35 million a year to make such a move. The concept is unprecedented for very sound business reasons. Unfortunately, the time to think about group integrity and geographical fit was 30 years ago. Humpty Dumpty's pieces cannot be put back together again. It's a truth about the fragility of life and life's decisions which we learned as children. And now in this new epoch of education apparently the magical thinking of Harry Potter should be able to accomplish anything, natural or unnatural.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2022 03:21 PM by JRsec.)
10-23-2022 03:17 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina

South Carolina would be an excellent "fit" culturally for the ACC. Unfortunately they have been gone for so long that only the old timers would remember their time in the ACC. South Carolina would also have an opportunity to be more competitive in the ACC than they are now, or ever will be in the SEC. Either the SEC would have to boot them out or ESPN would have to move them as the Gamecocks are too proud to ever come back now. Most of the bad feelings toward South Carolina have died out over time and I would think most ACC fans would welcome them back.
Maryland is a different story. It was a bad break-up that inflicted a lot of deep wounds on the administrative level and their return would be uncertain.
10-23-2022 04:17 PM
OrangeDude Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Syracuse

Zero chance of happening BUT as a fan of a northeastern school if Maryland was willing I certainly wouldn't object.

Cheers,
Neil
10-23-2022 05:08 PM
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I speak from my own fandom perspective, but UMd was always a bland brand in football comparable to BC, so it never moved the needle for me. Their Basketball moved the needle a little bit more, much in the same category as NCSU basketball. I understand that there is a lot of history with them and much of the other ACC. I think they could have a good annual rivalry with VT and Pitt if given a chance.

USCe for me would be a lot like getting WVU, it peeks my interest and could be a good game for FSU.
10-23-2022 06:21 PM
Advertisement

SouthernConfBoy Offline
1st String

I Root For: ASU
It will be a long, long, long time before UMCP gets a vote from VT, WF, and NC State in particular. MD does nothing in particular for Duke or UNC and the MD administration comments about Duke and UNC will be remember long after Wallace Loh and Brit Kirwan are dead. For as big an ass hole that Frank McGuire was at Columbia, and for as big a set of ass holes that any Gamecock/Sandlapper can be, they will curse you out to your face rather than lie to you and stab you in the back.

To this day Maryland has not solved some of it's fundamental problems it began creating for itself in the 1970's.

The only person who could begin to heal the damage done by Kirwan and Loh is 70 years old - that's Tom McMillan. He has what - a dozen effective years left?
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2022 07:19 PM by SouthernConfBoy.)
10-23-2022 07:09 PM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke

Neither. I have a long memory. U.S.C’s departure was incredibly rancorous. Maryland’s departure felt like a betrayal.

Besides, they’re both dysfunctional.
10-23-2022 07:33 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
If I'm the ACC, I'm not sure I would want to take in two schools stupid enough to want to leave the B1G and SEC.
10-23-2022 07:48 PM
BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
Maryland wouldn’t be welcomed unless they had Penn State tied to them. Like mentioned FB nothing happening there, but in BB you have a built in rival that matches the best of them. And USCjr brings a fan base that matches their instate rival tooth and nail. So hypothetically let’s say ESPN was paying the ACC close to what it’s paying the SEC would they come or not if money wasn’t the question it is now???
10-23-2022 10:57 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
From a competitive football standpoint, 2 of the best things that ever happened too the ACC were USC-e and Maryland leaving. USC-e has been terrible except for a few years with Steve Spurrier and would have been a drain on ACC football. Maryland about the same. They haven't done any thing note worthy since they left.

USC-e leaving opened up a spot for GT who expanded the footprint south and made it more attractive for FSU and Miami as well as being an excellent addition by themselves. Losing MD opened up a spot for Louisville who is better in every way except for losing the D.C. media market but ESPN didn't punish us for losing that market. So, Louisville is better in every way.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2022 12:14 PM by ChrisLords.)
10-23-2022 11:46 PM
Advertisement

green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
(10-23-2022 11:46 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  From a competitive football standpoint, 2 of the best things that ever happened too the ACC was USC-e and Maryland leaving. USC-e has been terrible except for a few years with Steve Spurrier and would have been a drain on ACC football. Maryland about the same. They haven't done any thing note worthy since they left.

USC-e leaving opened up a spot for GT who expanded the footprint south and made it more attractive for FSU and Miami as well as being an excellent addition by themselves. Losing MD opened up a spot for Louisville who is better in every way except for losing the D.C. media market but ESPN didn't punish us for losing that market. So, Louisville is better in every way.

vt & uva lay claim to nation’s capital ...

DMV
10-24-2022 06:29 AM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
(10-23-2022 11:46 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  From a competitive football standpoint, 2 of the best things that ever happened too the ACC was USC-e and Maryland leaving. USC-e has been terrible except for a few years with Steve Spurrier and would have been a drain on ACC football. Maryland about the same. They haven't done any thing note worthy since they left.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/uni...l-rankings

save academic profile ...

PESKY LITTLE THING
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2022 06:34 AM by green.)
10-24-2022 06:32 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-23-2022 03:17 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

The issue is not the ACC forgetting about the money until 2036, the issue is Maryland and South Carolina saying bye-bye to 35 million a year to make such a move. The concept is unprecedented for very sound business reasons. Unfortunately, the time to think about group integrity and geographical fit was 30 years ago. Humpty Dumpty's pieces cannot be put back together again. It's a truth about the fragility of life and life's decisions which we learned as children. And now in this new epoch of education apparently the magical thinking of Harry Potter should be able to accomplish anything, natural or unnatural.

Yes. I understood this to be a fantasy post right away.
10-24-2022 08:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SouthernConfBoy Offline
1st String

(10-24-2022 08:13 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

Fantasy?

No

The question is when.

What the ACC looks like in 2050, 2080, or 2100 will be different than it does today, but the actual shape and members are only going to oscillate between who can fit in Eastern/Southeastern culture.

The same way the SEC will exist based on who fits into a Deep South/Appalachian Foothill culture and the same way the Big 10 exists within a Midwest/Great Lakes culture.
10-24-2022 10:28 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-24-2022 10:28 AM)SouthernConfBoy Wrote:  
(10-24-2022 08:13 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

Fantasy?

No

The question is when.

What the ACC looks like in 2050, 2080, or 2100 will be different than it does today, but the actual shape and members are only going to oscillate between who can fit in Eastern/Southeastern culture.

The same way the SEC will exist based on who fits into a Deep South/Appalachian Foothill culture and the same way the Big 10 exists within a Midwest/Great Lakes culture.

I'll be shocked if there's any college football at all by 2080.
10-24-2022 10:40 AM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
South Carolina: Yes.
Maryland: Fry-Squint.gif
10-24-2022 10:49 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-24-2022 10:49 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  South Carolina: Yes.

[Image: Chicken-Rides-a-Turtle-300x225.jpg?w=980&q=75]
10-24-2022 12:57 PM
SouthernConfBoy Offline
1st String

(10-24-2022 12:57 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

Well done - the **** crows, but the Turtle lies. 04-cheers
10-24-2022 12:59 PM
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

(10-24-2022 12:57 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

Were you saving that pic for a thread like this? It’s perfect!
10-24-2022 02:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.