Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Renewing with Flo
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Renewing with Flo
There is word on the Seahawk discord channel supported by the publisher of the Seahawk Perch newsletter that the CAA and its presidents are leaning towards renewing with Flo

I would encourage all CAA fans to let their athletic departments know how they feel about such a decision.
10-22-2022 06:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

J.B. Offline

I Root For: Drexel
RE: Renewing with Flo
The CAA Presidents have to know that FLO limited schools exposure to additional fans. If they're OK with that and accept it, and have done their due dilligence and determined that it's the best option for their schools, then there's nothing we can do.

Is the reason why there is so much hate for FLO because we as fans have to subscribe to another streaming service? Because it's likely that whatever route they go, we'll likely all have to sign up for another streaming service anyway. As much as so many people love the ESPN option, because many already have ESPN+ subscriptions, it may not be the best option for the CAA. Personally, I think that ESPN will bury the CAA under 400 other games and not give the league the best exposure, and limit the opportunity for televised games. If the CAA decides to go to another streaming service, whatever it is, we're going to have to shell out money for subscriptions just like we do with FLO.

Selfishly, I'd be fine with ESPN. I'm just not sure if it's the best option for the CAA when there are so many other streaming services out there that might be interested in investing in the CAA.
10-23-2022 11:41 AM
JonP Offline
2nd String

I subscribed to ESPN+ for the out of conference part of the season last year and it was great. I found myself watching all sorts of games I might not have otherwise seen (A-10 out of conference games, random West Coast games and the like). I might not be the typical user, but a casual hoops fan won't even be on Flo to stumble on CAA games. Seems to me being buried on ESPN+ is better than playing on a platform no one watches.

Overall, the price-to-entertainment ratio for Flo is nowhere near as compelling. The *only* good thing about the Flo deal is that it allows for some games to be shown on the regional NBC Sports channels.

I mean, go to flosports.tv right now. The top 9 sports shown are wrestling, grappling, racing, marching, track, cycling, milesplit, "Varsity TV" and bowling. What kind of rinky dink **** is that?
10-24-2022 09:56 AM
jcohen42 Offline
Special Teams

Certain moves scream "small time". Renewing with Flo would be one of them. It would solidify the CAA's place as a mediocre conference for years to come.
10-24-2022 05:27 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
I'm not as down on Flo as most. I watch a lot of sports outside of basketball including baseball, men's and women's soccer and volleyball. I'm able to catch any confrence games as a result and when we play OOC most of those games are on an ESPN channel and we will get a lot of exposure when we play our legit OOC games at UNC, Oklahoma and UConn. Those are the games that matter.

I'm confident the AD's from around the league are discussing the benefits and also negatives we are all discussing here. Since we don't have access to all the data they do, we aren't really in a position to do a cost/benefit analysis. If they choose to renew the contract there must be a pretty good reason based on data.
10-25-2022 05:42 AM
J.B. Offline

(10-24-2022 09:56 AM)JonP Wrote:  I subscribed to ESPN+ for the out of conference part of the season last year and it was great. I found myself watching all sorts of games I might not have otherwise seen (A-10 out of conference games, random West Coast games and the like). I might not be the typical user, but a casual hoops fan won't even be on Flo to stumble on CAA games. Seems to me being buried on ESPN+ is better than playing on a platform no one watches.

Overall, the price-to-entertainment ratio for Flo is nowhere near as compelling. The *only* good thing about the Flo deal is that it allows for some games to be shown on the regional NBC Sports channels.

I mean, go to flosports.tv right now. The top 9 sports shown are wrestling, grappling, racing, marching, track, cycling, milesplit, "Varsity TV" and bowling. What kind of rinky dink **** is that?

People aren't thinking outside the box. All of the discussions on these boards are either about ESPN vs. Flo and that's it. The industry is changing so much that maybe there's other options. Peacock has sports, Paramount Plus broadcasts sports and they're the same company as CBS. Apple TV signed the megadeal with the MLS.
The question is, would people complain if the CAA partners with another major streaming service, that's NOT ESPN. I personally think that the best option for exposure is a syndicated package with NBC/Bally Sports etc that could get more games on real cable channels. Not sure if that's on the table, but I think that's the best option, IMO with an additional streaming partner.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2022 07:53 AM by J.B..)
10-25-2022 12:11 PM
Advertisement

dan10 Offline
Heisman

I would say yes, JB. When we were part of the NBC package I think more had visibility with NBC Sports than we do currently with CBS Sports for our tournament finals. Until our conference grows (and not just conference member size), I think having an ability to have regional coverage is important. Unfortunately the boat was missed on being a national brand where having nationally televised games made realistic sense. On the heels of VCU's run was the time to get that package together. But as a middling mid major being on ESPN+ is fine. But so is other options (not FLO). FLO was a dart throw for an up and comer that for most has failed, but it should something at the time. Jumping to a paramount+ or Apple TV or Peacock etc would be similar, but safer than the jump made to FLO. But having some type of exposure is good and I have doubts any of those would be much different than an ESPN+ (beyond being a "focus" as they expand their sports branding) from the standpoint of allowing regional coverage. I think all would say no to allowing regional linear options (like ESPN did the last go around). So from that standpoint I dont know what the answer is, but almost anything still feels better for eyeballs than FLO (who truly is just a middle man). FLO has its brand as the niche guy. CAA basketball should strive to be better than niche in the college hoops world.
10-25-2022 02:23 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(10-25-2022 02:23 PM)dan10 Wrote:  I would say yes, JB. When we were part of the NBC package I think more had visibility with NBC Sports than we do currently with CBS Sports for our tournament finals. Until our conference grows (and not just conference member size), I think having an ability to have regional coverage is important. Unfortunately the boat was missed on being a national brand where having nationally televised games made realistic sense. On the heels of VCU's run was the time to get that package together. But as a middling mid major being on ESPN+ is fine. But so is other options (not FLO). FLO was a dart throw for an up and comer that for most has failed, but it should something at the time. Jumping to a paramount+ or Apple TV or Peacock etc would be similar, but safer than the jump made to FLO. But having some type of exposure is good and I have doubts any of those would be much different than an ESPN+ (beyond being a "focus" as they expand their sports branding) from the standpoint of allowing regional coverage. I think all would say no to allowing regional linear options (like ESPN did the last go around). So from that standpoint I dont know what the answer is, but almost anything still feels better for eyeballs than FLO (who truly is just a middle man). FLO has its brand as the niche guy. CAA basketball should strive to be better than niche in the college hoops world.

Agree

It doesn't have to be espn

But if you're going to put it behind a paywall it can't be a random overpriced startup
10-25-2022 03:04 PM
JonP Offline
2nd String

(10-25-2022 12:11 PM)J.B. Wrote:  People aren't thinking outside the box. All of the discussions on these boards are either about ESPN vs. Flo and that's it. The industry is changing so much that maybe there's other options. Peacock has sports, Paramount Plus broadcasts sports and they're the same company as CBS. Apple TV signed the megadeal with the MLS.
The question is, would people complain if the CAA partners with another major streaming service, that's NOT ESPN. I personally think that the best option for exposure is a syndicated package with NBC/Bally Sports etc that could get more games on really cable channels. Not sure if that's on the table, but I think that's the best option, IMO with an additional streaming partner.

I would be completely fine with a Comcast/NBC deal in place of Flo. CAA games on Peacock with some games airing on regional NBC networks and a few on whatever national cable channel NBC wants to use. Sign me up.

I only mentioned ESPN+ because it's so vastly superior to Flo. But you're right that it's not the *only* streamer that's superior to Flo.
10-25-2022 03:29 PM
AGGIE2039 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NC A&T Aggies
I’ve been using Flo to watch A&T volleyball and it’s definitely not the most intuitive or easy to use application however it gets the job done. I’m ok with keeping Flo however I would prefer that we would only be forced to use it for conference games. For OOC games/matches we should have a more autonomy in my personal opinion.
10-31-2022 09:25 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(10-31-2022 09:25 AM)AGGIE2039 Wrote:  I’ve been using Flo to watch A&T volleyball and it’s definitely not the most intuitive or easy to use application however it gets the job done. I’m ok with keeping Flo however I would prefer that we would only be forced to use it for conference games. For OOC games/matches we should have a more autonomy in my personal opinion.

The good thing is that most OOC games are against opponents who play on ESPN. I don't think I missed any games last year between FLO, ESPN and CBSSN(Hulu Live). UNCW is even in a tournament that is on FLO this year. I think this is really about football having the freedom to negotiate linear tv deals.
11-02-2022 10:02 PM
Advertisement

AGGIE2039 Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-02-2022 10:02 PM)82hawk Wrote:  
(10-31-2022 09:25 AM)AGGIE2039 Wrote:  I’ve been using Flo to watch A&T volleyball and it’s definitely not the most intuitive or easy to use application however it gets the job done. I’m ok with keeping Flo however I would prefer that we would only be forced to use it for conference games. For OOC games/matches we should have a more autonomy in my personal opinion.

The good thing is that most OOC games are against opponents who play on ESPN. I don't think I missed any games last year between FLO, ESPN and CBSSN(Hulu Live). UNCW is even in a tournament that is on FLO this year. I think this is really about football having the freedom to negotiate linear tv deals.

I agree, using Flo is all about the linear deals.

It would be great if the NC CAA schools could sign a statewide linear deal for basketball season, all the schools working together.

The same could be done for the three football schools too, even though Elon football games are already shown in Greensboro.

If the 4 schools work together the sky is the limit!!!
11-03-2022 09:01 PM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
(10-25-2022 03:29 PM)JonP Wrote:  
(10-25-2022 12:11 PM)J.B. Wrote:  People aren't thinking outside the box. All of the discussions on these boards are either about ESPN vs. Flo and that's it. The industry is changing so much that maybe there's other options. Peacock has sports, Paramount Plus broadcasts sports and they're the same company as CBS. Apple TV signed the megadeal with the MLS.
The question is, would people complain if the CAA partners with another major streaming service, that's NOT ESPN. I personally think that the best option for exposure is a syndicated package with NBC/Bally Sports etc that could get more games on really cable channels. Not sure if that's on the table, but I think that's the best option, IMO with an additional streaming partner.

I would be completely fine with a Comcast/NBC deal in place of Flo. CAA games on Peacock with some games airing on regional NBC networks and a few on whatever national cable channel NBC wants to use. Sign me up.

I only mentioned ESPN+ because it's so vastly superior to Flo. But you're right that it's not the *only* streamer that's superior to Flo.
NBC eliminated NBC Sports Network (which showed the CAA in seasons including 2015-2016), and moved English soccer to USA, but I do not think they would put the CAA on USA. I pay for Paramount Plus for soccer, and it includes old episodes of tons of shows. If you have kids, it has thousands of old episodes of Nickelodeon shows. I am assuming that CBS would let a conference be on Paramount Plus and have games on CBS Sports Network.

The CAA says that Flo has a discount rate of $6.99 per month for anybody with a CAA school e mail address, but Flo's website doesn't have the discount. Last season I paid $12.50 per month. I just Flo and got the $6.99 discount. Hofstra lets me keep my e mail address forever. I graduated in 2007.
11-06-2022 11:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
westcoastaggie Offline
Water Engineer

I used the CAA link and prepaid at $7.99/month. Overall, A&T's feed looks good and the commercials look much better than the ones the MEAC and Big South used.
on ESPN+
11-07-2022 08:07 PM
J.B. Offline

During the past 3 seasons with the FLO agreement, Drexel televised several of their home MBB and WBB games along with some other sports on NBC Sports Philadelphia. Thus far, no deal has been reached. This NBCSP deal is critical for Drexel getting noticed in a major metropolitan city that focuses all of their attention on pro sports, Penn State football, and Villanova basketball, and little else. If the 6th most popular school in Philadelphia limits the broadcast of all of their games to a 3rd rate streaming service.....it would totally analogize "if a tree falls in a forest....."
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2022 08:44 PM by J.B..)
11-07-2022 08:43 PM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
The only CAA games on NBCSP are five at Monmouth, including when Drexel goes there. They are also showing Monmouth hosting Charlotte, Yale, NC A&T, and Elon. If you exclude the CAA Tournament, the channel with the most CAA games is SNY with 16, which is 1 more than CBS Sports Network. SNY's 16 includes nonconference games. Half are at Monmouth, and half are at Stony Brook.
11-08-2022 01:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

J.B. Offline

https://drexeldragons.com/news/2022/11/8...bjwSwmgdnw

Drexel announced today their TV schedule with NBCSP with 7 MBB games and 5 WBB games. Nice to read, Evan's post above pointing out that Monmouth games will also be on NBCSP, despite the fact that Monmouth is technically in the NY market. I'm sure that Delaware will have a bunch of games on NBCSP as well.
11-08-2022 01:57 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(11-07-2022 08:07 PM)westcoastaggie Wrote:  I used the CAA link and prepaid at $7.99/month. Overall, A&T's feed looks good and the commercials look much better than the ones the MEAC and Big South used.
on ESPN+

Flo promised to us the platform to really feature CAA schools and athletic programs. Wouldn't surprise me if the agreement to renew included significant assistance in getting the new schools up to par on all things streaming, including ads. After, their platform is only as good as the production of the schools. Good to hear you've seen an improvement. Flo isn't ideal but i've actually enjoyed being able to see all kinds of sports at all the different schools over the past few years.
11-08-2022 03:25 PM
AGGIE2039 Offline
Bench Warmer

I was doing some research on A&Ts away games and noticed that several will be broadcast on linear tv...Flo is a great deal if you have a linear deal.

If we sign with ESPN they determine how many games and which ones are shown on television. I'm not a fan of selling our souls to ESPN when they will still place us behind the major conferences and even the G5.

I also noticed the NC schools do not have a linear broadcast deal, that needs to change ASAP.
11-08-2022 11:09 PM
J.B. Offline

(11-08-2022 11:09 PM)AGGIE2039 Wrote:  I was doing some research on A&Ts away games and noticed that several will be broadcast on linear tv...Flo is a great deal if you have a linear deal.

If we sign with ESPN they determine how many games and which ones are shown on television. I'm not a fan of selling our souls to ESPN when they will still place us behind the major conferences and even the G5.

I also noticed the NC schools do not have a linear broadcast deal, that needs to change ASAP.

I agree. I don't love FLO because I think it's a pretty crappy platform that's overpriced, doesn't advertise, and has a very small subscription base. However, I've always said that linear TV is important. I brought up the Drexel games on NBCSP because it's important that a lot of Drexel games get broadcast on the major local sports channels that people in the region use as their go to channel for sports. Despite, Drexel being considered the #6 school in Philadelphia, they do get more games on TV than St. Joes, La Salle, and Penn do.

In terms of linear deals for other schools in the CAA, I think that UNCW used to broadcast games on local TV in Wilmington. I could be wrong but I think that prior to realignment, Elon was the only school in the CAA that didn't put their games on linear TV. Of the new schools, Monmouth is televising games. Not sure about A&T or Hampton.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2022 10:39 AM by J.B..)
11-09-2022 10:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.