Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Richmond Times-Dispatch article on JMU, SBC championship, bowl eligibility
Bookmark and Share
Dukes94 Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
Richmond Times-Dispatch article on JMU, SBC championship, bowl eligibility
This was too in-depth of an article not to merit its own thread. Good quotes from Keith Gill, former GA Southern coach, Curt Cignetti and others.

If y’all hit a pay wall, tell me and I’ll post the good parts.

https://richmond.com/sports/college/teel...3ebf5.html

My opinion is that we’re first year Sun Belt and knew the rules going in, whether they’re fun or fair or logical or not. Lots of football still to play, and I don’t want to piss and moan IF things work out a certain way. If a Coastal or someone else deserving is the standard bearer, then I’m a Chanticleer! Or whoever.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2022 09:25 AM by Dukes94.)
10-09-2022 08:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dukes94 Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
RE: Richmond Times-Dispatch article on JMU, SBC championship, bowl eligibility
On my phone, if I X out of the paywall pop up, it still shows me the article.
10-09-2022 08:09 AM
IslandHerd1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Thundering Herd
Best thing that can happen for JMU now is losing out the rest of the season.
10-09-2022 10:19 AM
SENOREIDA Offline
1st String

I Root For: Coastal
(10-09-2022 08:01 AM)Dukes94 Wrote:  This was too in-depth of an article not to merit its own thread. Good quotes from Keith Gill, former GA Southern coach, Curt Cignetti and others.

My opinion is that we’re first year Sun Belt and knew the rules going in, whether they’re fun or fair or logical or not. Lots of football still to play, and I don’t want to piss and moan IF things work out a certain way. If a Coastal or someone else deserving is the standard bearer, then I’m a Chanticleer! Or whoever.

I mean you guys did get leniency. It sucks, don’t get me wrong but it could of been a two year transition.
10-09-2022 10:23 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
A lot of people in the conference were kinda ticked off we applied for a bowl waiver in 2014 and delayed the bids going out, but I say go and do it. It's a stupid rule that didn't make any sense when it was implemented and makes even less sense now.
10-09-2022 11:07 AM
MobileBama1 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: South Alabama
If JMU wins the East I’m all for them playing for the conference championship as long as they have to travel to the West

If they win that game, send them to the Cotton Bowl
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2022 12:22 PM by MobileBama1.)
10-09-2022 12:21 PM
Advertisement

AssKickingChicken Offline
1st String

I Root For: Jax State
As they are playing a full FBS schedule (only one FCS game) they should at least get to go to a bowl. At worst be the first alternate if there aren't enough six win teams.
10-09-2022 12:27 PM
warhawk09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bob
Don't like the rules, don't play the game
10-09-2022 12:35 PM
We Are the Dukes of JMU Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU
(10-09-2022 10:23 AM)SENOREIDA Wrote:  
(10-09-2022 08:01 AM)Dukes94 Wrote:  This was too in-depth of an article not to merit its own thread. Good quotes from Keith Gill, former GA Southern coach, Curt Cignetti and others.

I mean you guys did get leniency. It sucks, don’t get me wrong but it could of been a two year transition.

We haven't received anything yet. We're officially in year 1 of a two-year transition, just like SHSU and JSU. The only difference is that we're playing in FBS in year 1, while SHSU and JSU are playing in FCS. The transition rules don't explicitly state which subdivision a team must play in during year 1 of transition, so JMU took the unusual step of electing to play in FBS.

Our AD has said we plan to apply for a waiver to make us bowl-eligible in year 2 of our transition (i.e., 2023), but we haven't actually submitted any waiver requests or been granted any waivers at this time.

One thing that concerns me is that SHSU has publicly stated that they plan to apply for a bowl-eligibility waiver next year as well. Obviously the fact pattern is a little different, as JMU will be playing it's second FBS season and SHSU will be playing it's first. But on paper, both schools will be in year 2 of transition and it could put the NCAA in the awkward position of granting JMU's year 2 waiver while rejecting SHSU's year 2 waiver. I could see the NCAA rejecting both in the interest of "fairness".

That's why I believe we should push hard for a waiver this season before the noise of a SHSU (and possibly JSU) waiver request is introduced.
10-09-2022 12:42 PM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
(10-09-2022 12:35 PM)warhawk09 Wrote:  Don't like the rules, don't play the game

I could live with this disappointed of course...if things go well, can't blame us for trying to get a waiver but it is what it is....I can think of worse problems
10-09-2022 01:09 PM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
A waiver this season means a 0 year transition period ...as much as I'd love this ...it just seems extra extra exemptiony
10-09-2022 01:11 PM
Advertisement

We Are the Dukes of JMU Offline
Special Teams

(10-09-2022 01:09 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  
(10-09-2022 12:35 PM)warhawk09 Wrote:  Don't like the rules, don't play the game

I could live with this disappointed of course...if things go well, can't blame us for trying to get a waiver but it is what it is....I can think of worse problems

Agreed, but I would be extremely disappointed if we can't get a year 2 waiver next year either. Having to wait until 2024 to be bowl eligible with a team like this would be a huge lost opportunity.
10-09-2022 01:15 PM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
IMO, If JMU wins out I'm for them playing in the SBC Championship game. Should they win that then if the Cotton Bowl wants to invite them then more power to them. I believe the SBC would benefit from their success.
10-09-2022 01:30 PM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
I don't even care one way or the other. App self destructed itself out of contention. Doesn't matter to me who wins the title if it's not my team.
10-09-2022 01:36 PM
Eagleyed Offline
1st String

I Root For: USM
(10-09-2022 01:30 PM)JoeJag Wrote:  IMO, If JMU wins out I'm for them playing in the SBC Championship game. Should they win that then if the Cotton Bowl wants to invite them then more power to them. I believe the SBC would benefit from their success.

The issue is more if they do win out, beating an so far unbeaten Coastal Carolina, then can't play in the Sun Belt championship and can't be invited to the Cotton bowl making the spot go to an AAC team when it otherwise would have gone to a Sun Belt team. Lot of football left, but this is a very real possibility.
10-09-2022 01:45 PM
MOTIAW Offline
1st String

I Root For: Coastal Carolina
(10-09-2022 10:23 AM)SENOREIDA Wrote:  

Right? AND scholly restrictions. Of which there were ZERO. So please, despite being a huge fan of you giving some people fits, don’t confuse this with being a “normal” transition.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2022 06:42 PM by MOTIAW.)
10-09-2022 06:40 PM
Advertisement

KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

I have zero issue with the SBC not allowing us to be eligible for the CCG if we aren't bowl eligible. That's what's best for the conference imo and obviously the conference's presidents agree. The Sun Belt has been excellent to us in our transition and to all its new members. If the NCAA were to grant us a waiver to be bowl eligible not just one but two years early then I suspect the SBC would immediately deem us eligible for the CCG.

I do think the NCAA rule probably shouldn't exist anymore and has no real reason to anymore. I also think JMU is the perfect example of how the NCAA wants teams to prepare to move up so granting us a waiver for doing it the right way would make a lot of sense. Denying SHSU the waiver for not doing it the right way would also make a lot of sense. I don't think that's likely though, so I'm just gonna enjoy the ride and then be pleasantly surprised(REALLY surprised) if anything changes regarding this year. I will be disappointed if we're denied for next year though.

Either way, I'm really grateful we were able to get the full FBS/SBC schedule we have this year. It's a little disappointing that such a good JMU team will have to miss out on the postseason but just imagine if such a good JMU team had to play some garbage FCS or half FCS schedule.
10-09-2022 11:19 PM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
Very well said
10-09-2022 11:21 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

Lots of FB left to play. That said, restrictions like these unnecessary (dumb) rules only hurt the student athletes. If the athletes earn it on the field, let them play for conference championships and post season bowls. An undefeated JMU team playing in a NY Cotton Bowl game would be great PR for the SBC.
10-10-2022 02:56 AM
GreenDaddy Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Marshall
It is a dumb rule that only punishes the athletes. If JMU is the best team in the conference then they should be treated as such. They should get to play in the conference championship game and bowl game should they earn it.

Looking back, how did we (Marshall) get to move up in 1997 and immediately win the MAC title and play in the Motor City Bowl?
10-10-2022 05:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.