UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If AAC is going 3/5/5 and removing divisions next year
MeepMeep Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTSA | Arizona
If AAC is going 3/5/5 and removing divisions next year
UTSA fan here. Each school is getting 3 permanent matchups every year with the rest of conference matchups alternating years. I assume the fans here want Memphis and Tulane to be the first two guarunteed rival/yearly games. Whose the third team y’all want though?

Think UTSA is getting North Texas and Rice. Don’t want Navy. SMU has better things to do than schedule UTSA, though we’d probably be down.

I would love to see UAB/UTSA in the last spot. I know last year broke y’all because gutless Bill Clark didn’t go for 4th and inches, but it was still a fun game. The rematch this year seems like an easy sellout and under-the-radar college gameday option. With divisions being removed, this could also be the CUSA championship game. Fan bases like/respect each other. UTSA may have had this recent surge in football, but UAB is still #1 with the realignment and opened the door towards the AAC. That’s not lost on the fan base and everyone I know in San Antonio has so much respect for UAB. Idk, I think it’s a great option if both teams were chosen for a permanent matchup every year.

What do the fans here want for the third team?
09-19-2022 11:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

I Root For: UAB
RE: If AAC is going 3/5/5 and removing divisions next year
I agree with Memphis and Tulane for proximity. I wouldn't be opposed to UTSA.
09-19-2022 11:22 PM
blazinrunner Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB & Marlins
(09-19-2022 11:07 PM)MeepMeep Wrote:  UTSA fan here. Each school is getting 3 permanent matchups every year with the rest of conference matchups alternating years. I assume the fans here want Memphis and Tulane to be the first two guarunteed rival/yearly games. Whose the third team y’all want though?

Think UTSA is getting North Texas and Rice. Don’t want Navy. SMU has better things to do than schedule UTSA, though we’d probably be down.

I would love to see UAB/UTSA in the last spot. I know last year broke y’all because gutless Bill Clark didn’t go for 4th and inches, but it was still a fun game. The rematch this year seems like an easy sellout and under-the-radar college gameday option. With divisions being removed, this could also be the CUSA championship game. Fan bases like/respect each other. UTSA may have had this recent surge in football, but UAB is still #1 with the realignment and opened the door towards the AAC. That’s not lost on the fan base and everyone I know in San Antonio has so much respect for UAB. Idk, I think it’s a great option if both teams were chosen for a permanent matchup every year.

What do the fans here want for the third team?

On November 5th, we’ll likely have about 20k at the game. Attendance steadily declines as the season goes along. Sadly, UTSA isn’t a name that brings in the casual fan in Birmingham. If UTSA were ranked again like last, maybe different. Unfortunately, with UAB laying an egg against Liberty, we’re looking at about 1/2 full stadium.
09-20-2022 12:27 AM
Golden-Ticket Offline
1st String

I completely disagree with this comment. We’ve seen better student attendance than I’ve ever seen, despite the heat this week. If we do our part and go into that game with 1 lose maybe 2 we will have a good crowd. Weather will be nice, and depending on the other in school teams we could see a great crowd. I don’t see why we’d have nearly 5,000 less people than we just had after a terrible game and in smoldering heat
09-20-2022 07:42 AM
The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
If UTSA is red hot, UAB hasn't lost another head scratcher game, and the matchup is basically determining the CUSA championship, then I could see the game being highly attended. It will be a long time IMO before we have a hard sell out.

I wouldn't mind our three teams being Memphis, Tulane, and UTSA at all.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2022 07:54 AM by The Answer UAB.)
09-20-2022 07:54 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Not opposed to UTSA being the third in football. Not basketball.

We will be lucky to have 25K out there. If we drop a game it will be under 20. That's the reality. I will still go out there and cheer for my team and make sure all my tickets are used. Prove me wrong UAB fans. Pack it out.
09-20-2022 09:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Engblazr Offline
Special Teams

Always assumed our 3 would be Memphis, Tulane, and ECU
09-20-2022 09:25 AM
blazerjay Offline

Donators
(09-20-2022 09:25 AM)Engblazr Wrote:  Always assumed our 3 would be Memphis, Tulane, and ECU

Just curious...why would you assume ECU?
09-20-2022 09:31 AM
blazinrunner Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB & Marlins
(09-20-2022 09:21 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Not opposed to UTSA being the third in football. Not basketball.

We will be lucky to have 25K out there. If we drop a game it will be under 20. That's the reality. I will still go out there and cheer for my team and make sure all my tickets are used. Prove me wrong UAB fans. Pack it out.

Same. I'll be there, but I'm realistic about the crowds. Unless we're undefeated, crowds will get less and less as the season progresses. People would rather sit in the heat than the cold I guess. That's just the reality until we have more recognizable opponents on the schedule.
09-20-2022 09:32 AM
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

I think UAB’s 3 are likely to be Memphis, Tulane and USF.

But I would enjoy UTSA for football.
09-20-2022 09:40 AM
Pavy78 Offline
Special Teams

I'm at every home game and a few road games each year. But, we have a ton of "fans" that will look at the Alabama and Auburn schedules to determine if they will go to the UAB game. The same day as the UTSA game, Bama plays LSU, and AU plays Miss St. If both UAB and UTSA win out, and there's perfect weather, I would think 25k is a ceiling. Hopefully I'm wrong.
09-20-2022 09:41 AM
Advertisement

Engblazr Offline
Special Teams

(09-20-2022 09:31 AM)blazerjay Wrote:  
(09-20-2022 09:25 AM)Engblazr Wrote:  Always assumed our 3 would be Memphis, Tulane, and ECU

Next closest school to us and, apart from Memphis, the program we have the most history with in the new American.
09-20-2022 10:01 AM
blazerblazer Offline
1st String

Memphis and Tulane should be a lock but the 3rd is a tossup between ECU, USF, and a Texas school.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2022 10:11 AM by blazerblazer.)
09-20-2022 10:10 AM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

(09-20-2022 09:41 AM)Pavy78 Wrote:  I'm at every home game and a few road games each year. But, we have a ton of "fans" that will look at the Alabama and Auburn schedules to determine if they will go to the UAB game. The same day as the UTSA game, Bama plays LSU, and AU plays Miss St. If both UAB and UTSA win out, and there's perfect weather, I would think 25k is a ceiling. Hopefully I'm wrong.

At least this year, perhaps Auburn games will be less of a factor. I have a co-worker that typically comes to 1-2 UAB games/yr when they don't conflict with Auburn games. After last Saturday, he said he's coming to the rest of our games because he's done with the Harsin era.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2022 10:14 AM by hooverblazer.)
09-20-2022 10:12 AM
MeepMeep Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTSA | Arizona
God I’m so glad that we play at the Alamodome. Air condition, perfect lighting, actual fold seats.

Why don’t they just give UAB more 7pm games? Seems like that would solve a lot of issues.
09-20-2022 10:59 AM
ICB Offline
Heisman

I will almost bet the 3rd school is FAU. First of all the current AAC will want to keep as many of their school as possible in the 3, so i seriously doubt if we have 3 permanent teams and 1 if not 2 of them don't include CUSA6 teams.
09-20-2022 11:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
(09-20-2022 10:01 AM)Engblazr Wrote:  

Next closest school to us and, apart from Memphis, the program we have the most history with in the new American.

That's not even close to true. Tulane is half the distance of ECU. Charlotte is closer to UAB than ECU.
09-20-2022 11:16 AM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(09-20-2022 11:16 AM)The Answer UAB Wrote:  

That's not even close to true. Tulane is half the distance of ECU. Charlotte is closer to UAB than ECU.

I get your point, but Tulane was already in their Top 3....and Charlotte sucks.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2022 11:39 AM by demiveeman.)
09-20-2022 11:38 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
I am thinking Memphis, Tulane and they will give is FAU or USF.

Hey Ft Lauderdale, Tampa, San Antonio all easy Southwest flights. First two has non-stops. SA is one stop or a plane change. No biggie.
09-20-2022 11:39 AM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(09-20-2022 11:16 AM)The Answer UAB Wrote:  

I was about to say, don’t you basically have to drive by Charlotte to get to ECU? Tulsa is also pretty much the equivalent distance as ECU.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2022 11:45 AM by blazers9911.)
09-20-2022 11:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.