MWC commish stepping down
09-14-2022 06:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
RE: MWC commish stepping down
This guy used to be our commissioner - American South?
09-14-2022 06:19 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
Me feels like he's expecting the Pac-12 and/or Big 12 to do some raiding, and he doesn't want to be there when it occurs.

Odd timing, especially for it to be happening in just a few short months.
09-14-2022 06:22 PM
WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
1987–1991 American South (commissioner)
1991–1998 Sun Belt (commissioner)
1998–present Mountain West (commissioner)
09-14-2022 06:28 PM
stingingeagle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ga Southern
Oh crap, what does that mean for us
09-14-2022 06:30 PM
Advertisement

Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(09-14-2022 06:30 PM)stingingeagle Wrote:  Oh crap, what does that mean for us

Not sure it means anything to us, directly. I expect this to mean that the PAC12 is about to be all but picked apart by the B1G and Big XII and the two remaining PAC absorbs the MW, in entirety. No more MW, which helps in the top 6 conference champs making the playoffs when there is one less FBS conference.

Could actually see a couple current MW teams left out of the PAC absorbing the MW and those left over could head into the current CUSA, they have plenty of spots available.
09-14-2022 06:35 PM
hburg Offline

I Root For: James Madison
MWC commish stepping down
Interesting.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
09-14-2022 06:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Johns1124 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Marshall
(09-14-2022 06:35 PM)Usajags Wrote:  

Not sure it means anything to us, directly. I expect this to mean that the PAC12 is about to be all but picked apart by the B1G and Big XII and the two remaining PAC absorbs the MW, in entirety. No more MW, which helps in the top 6 conference champs making the playoffs when there is one less FBS conference.

Could actually see a couple current MW teams left out of the PAC absorbing the MW and those left over could head into the current CUSA, they have plenty of spots available.

That's not happening. PAC-10 has already told Boise no once. They sure as hell not going to take the likes of Nevada, NM, or San Jose st.
09-14-2022 06:55 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
(09-14-2022 06:55 PM)Johns1124 Wrote:  

That's not happening. PAC-10 has already told Boise no once. They sure as hell not going to take the likes of Nevada, NM, or San Jose st.

There are so many potential scenarios that could happen between the Pac-12, Big 12, Big 10, MWC, and AAC.... it's almost pointless to try and predict what could happen.

I do believe the SBC is safe, no matter what happens at this point. No P5 is going to come calling currently, and the AAC doesn't have the same leverage to grab our best schools. MWC obviously won't pursue Southern schools except Texas State... but losing Texas State doesn't cause the SBC to react.
09-14-2022 07:32 PM
Advertisement

Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

He is on the Playoff expansion committee and it can’t help with him leaving. G5 has one less voice in the process. Hopefully, FBS commits to an expanded playoff for 2024 with his help and gets TV contract commitments before he retires. Once the playoff contract is locked in we can breathe a little easier that things won’t be tilted more towards the P5 in terms of selection criteria and money sharing.
09-14-2022 07:54 PM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
Keith Gill is not interested.
09-14-2022 08:12 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(09-14-2022 07:54 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  He is on the Playoff expansion committee and it can’t help with him leaving. G5 has one less voice in the process. Hopefully, FBS commits to an expanded playoff for 2024 with his help and gets TV contract commitments before he retires. Once the playoff contract is locked in we can breathe a little easier that things won’t be tilted more towards the P5 in terms of selection criteria and money sharing.

There's a rep from all 10 FBS Conferences plus Notre Dame on the playoff expansion committee.
09-14-2022 08:12 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

They turned down Boise when they had 12 members, big difference if they taken down to 2 or 4 members.

(09-14-2022 07:54 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  He is on the Playoff expansion committee and it can’t help with him leaving. G5 has one less voice in the process. Hopefully, FBS commits to an expanded playoff for 2024 with his help and gets TV contract commitments before he retires. Once the playoff contract is locked in we can breathe a little easier that things won’t be tilted more towards the P5 in terms of selection criteria and money sharing.

Hopefully if he retires and leaves the expansion committee, he would be replaced by another “G5” commish, hopefully ours.
09-14-2022 08:13 PM
Advertisement

Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(09-14-2022 07:32 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  

There are so many potential scenarios that could happen between the Pac-12, Big 12, Big 10, MWC, and AAC.... it's almost pointless to try and predict what could happen.

I do believe the SBC is safe, no matter what happens at this point. No P5 is going to come calling currently, and the AAC doesn't have the same leverage to grab our best schools. MWC obviously won't pursue Southern schools except Texas State... but losing Texas State doesn't cause the SBC to react.

I understand that the MW has “Standards.” Therefore, I see NO interest on their part in the Football Deadwood that IS TXST.
09-14-2022 10:16 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

(09-14-2022 08:12 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

There's a rep from all 10 FBS Conferences plus Notre Dame on the playoff expansion committee.

there is, but the subcommittee that worked on a proposal for a year and then got shot down last year only had 4 people, one of which was Thompson and he was the only G5 voice in that subcommittee that was doing work behind the scenes and determining format, selection criteria, etc

the concerning part of him leaving his commissioner post in the MWC is that the selection criteria is admittedly flexible. As per the playoff release,

Rankings system: CFP Selection Committee will continue to determine weekly rankings with criteria to be reevaluated

let's hope things get locked in before Dec 31st so at least one voice of reason is helping make playoff decisions that will be in place for the next decade.
09-15-2022 08:32 AM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(09-14-2022 07:32 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  

Why would any of the 14 SBC schools want to leave unless they were invited to a P-5 conference?
09-15-2022 12:35 PM
Big Buds Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
Maybe he is just retiring?
09-15-2022 12:44 PM
Advertisement

monarx Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
UTEP, NMSU and Tulsa are the only schools that make sense to the MW. We need to hope AF and Boise etc don't want to join the AAC. I doubt they would with the recent defections, but you never know.

I could see UNLV, Co St, SDSU, NM, AF, Wy, Boise all given a look by the PAC. If the PAC takes only 2-4, the MW is still a much better conference than CUSA, (and probably the AAC) and if I were UTEP, NMSU or Tulsa I'd jump at the chance.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2022 01:28 PM by monarx.)
09-15-2022 01:01 PM
usmjournalism Offline
1st String

I Root For: USM
(09-14-2022 06:55 PM)Johns1124 Wrote:  PAC-10 has already told Boise no once. They sure as hell not going to take the likes of Nevada, NM, or San Jose st.

PAC-12 ain’t gonna be in a position to be picky about who they add. This is gonna be a “Are you a warm body? Great! You’re in!”-type situation.
09-15-2022 04:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.