UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coaching Changes - Frost is out at Nebraska - good fit for UAB? Clark to Auburn?
Ramblin Wreck Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Georgia Tech/ UAB/ Bama
Coaching Changes - Frost is out at Nebraska - good fit for UAB? Clark to Auburn?
Nebraska was willing to pay an additional $8M not to wait 20 days when his buyout would drop. Regardless of his poor record at Nebraska, a lot of the games were very close. Should UAB give him a consideration?

Auburn fans have had their finger on the trigger to fire Harsin since the day he was hired. I wouldn't be surprised if Clark hadn't been told this all along and retirement was done with that knowledge. Taking the Auburn job would be a huge pay increase but would require continuously looking over your shoulder for the next trigger man. Harsin is still the coach for now, but the poor showing against San Jose State has the boosters checking their aim.
09-11-2022 12:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: Coaching Changes - Frost is out at Nebraska - good fit for UAB? Clark to Auburn?
Wut?
09-11-2022 01:00 PM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

I Root For: UAB
RE: Coaching Changes - Frost is out at Nebraska - good fit for UAB? Clark to Auburn?
You mean the guy who went undefeated in 2017 at UCF? Or the guy who went 16-31 at Nebraska?

Oh, it’s the same guy. Hmmm.
09-11-2022 01:02 PM
Ramblin Wreck Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Georgia Tech/ UAB/ Bama
(09-11-2022 01:02 PM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  You mean the guy who went undefeated in 2017 at UCF? Or the guy who went 16-31 at Nebraska?

Oh, it’s the same guy. Hmmm.

Yeah, I get it but recruiting at Nebraska in the Big 10 isn't one of the easiest jobs. He was able to take an AAC school to an undefeated record and quality bowl win that year.
He wouldn't be my first call either, just curious of what other's opinions are.
09-11-2022 01:08 PM
DuelingDragon Online
All American

He inherited a really good team at UCF.

Not saying he would or would not do a good job at UAB or anywhere else but I think he might benefit from some time off to reflect on what went wrong and where his leadership or lack of led to it
09-11-2022 01:09 PM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
(09-11-2022 01:09 PM)DuelingDragon Wrote:  He inherited a really good team at UCF.

Not saying he would or would not do a good job at UAB or anywhere else but I think he might benefit from some time off to reflect on what went wrong and where his leadership or lack of led to it

You mean the team that was 0-12 the year before he arrived?
09-11-2022 01:14 PM
Advertisement

DuelingDragon Online
All American

Yep, talent was not the problem on that team. They quit on the coach.
09-11-2022 01:27 PM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
(09-11-2022 01:27 PM)DuelingDragon Wrote:  Yep, talent was not the problem on that team. They quit on the coach.

interesting take
09-11-2022 01:29 PM
uabblazer2012 Offline
All American

I doubt we could get him but Charles Huff would be the first call I would make.
09-11-2022 01:32 PM
DuelingDragon Online
All American

They were two season removed from winning the Fiesta Bowl and one season removed from winning 9 games. Talent was absolutely not the issue except at QB where they needed go recruit behind Bortles. They had hellacious good OL and defensive talent. They quit on O’Leary who was very hard on a young team and very stubborn by then about making some needed changes.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2022 01:36 PM by DuelingDragon.)
09-11-2022 01:32 PM
ICB Offline
Heisman

(09-11-2022 12:56 PM)Ramblin Wreck Wrote:  Nebraska was willing to pay an additional $8M not to wait 20 days when his buyout would drop. Regardless of his poor record at Nebraska, a lot of the games were very close. Should UAB give him a consideration?

Auburn fans have had their finger on the trigger to fire Harsin since the day he was hired. I wouldn't be surprised if Clark hadn't been told this all along and retirement was done with that knowledge. Taking the Auburn job would be a huge pay increase but would require continuously looking over your shoulder for the next trigger man. Harsin is still the coach for now, but the poor showing against San Jose State has the boosters checking their aim.

I may not be up on the Alabama Retirement System, but would he have retired from a state job to take another state job?

20 days? $8M? WOW! I would have waited personally.
09-11-2022 01:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(09-11-2022 01:29 PM)LairDweller Wrote:  
(09-11-2022 01:27 PM)DuelingDragon Wrote:  Yep, talent was not the problem on that team. They quit on the coach.

interesting take

That was an interesting take. An 0-12 team is usually not an indicator of a talented team. I'm sure someone will chime in and agree with DD tho....lol.
09-11-2022 01:42 PM
DuelingDragon Online
All American

(09-11-2022 01:42 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  

interesting take

That was an interesting take. An 0-12 team is usually not an indicator of a talented team. I'm sure someone will chime in and agree with DD tho....lol.

It is indicative of a team that quit on its coach. It is indicative of a team that needed a change. It is indicative of a program that went 12-1 two years before and undefeated two years later. Yeah, no talent.

Frost inherited a really good situation with a base winning culture, good linemen on both sides of the ball, lots of support, a new stadium and a tremendous recruiting base. He actually did what a lot of people on this board seem to want — he modernized the offense when UCF was ready for it. Frost was coming in at a time where a fresh voice and approach was very well received.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2022 01:53 PM by DuelingDragon.)
09-11-2022 01:47 PM
BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

interesting take

It won't be me. That's a pretty ridiculous take. Talented teams don't go 0-12.
09-11-2022 01:48 PM
DuelingDragon Online
All American

(09-11-2022 01:48 PM)BlazintheAtl1 Wrote:  

interesting take

Sure they do, I watched Auburn darn near do it a couple of times and then new coaches having them playing for the national championship the next year.
09-11-2022 01:55 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(09-11-2022 01:55 PM)DuelingDragon Wrote:  
(09-11-2022 01:48 PM)BlazintheAtl1 Wrote:  

interesting take

Sure they do

No they don't. Just stop it already. You feel the need to be the smart poster on the board. You are flat out wrong about this so just stop it already.
09-11-2022 02:39 PM
Advertisement

HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(09-11-2022 01:47 PM)DuelingDragon Wrote:  

interesting take

It is indicative of a team that quit on its coach. It is indicative of a team that needed a change. It is indicative of a program that went 12-1 two years before and undefeated two years later. Yeah, no talent.

Frost inherited a really good situation with a base winning culture, good linemen on both sides of the ball, lots of support, a new stadium and a tremendous recruiting base. He actually did what a lot of people on this board seem to want — he modernized the offense when UCF was ready for it. Frost was coming in at a time where a fresh voice and approach was very well received.

A talented team would walk into at least one win bad coaching or not. Cool response on the surface but when you dig a little deeper it's full of crap. Do you know how many players on that 12-1 team was on that 0-12 team. Do you know how many of the players on that 12-1 team did Frost recruit?
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2022 02:47 PM by HiddenDragon.)
09-11-2022 02:44 PM
DuelingDragon Online
All American

Lol— I guess you missed they were conference co-champs the season before, were picked 2nd in the division to Cincinnati. I guess you missed they had a massive coaching staff turnover in the off-season that left a young but very talented team discombobulated when things started going bad. I guess you missed the slew of season ending injuries in the preseason, the loss of the best RB in the opener and a bunch more with the first three games or they they suffered two ridiculous losses to much inferior teams in the first month that sent the team reeling, for a coach none of them really liked since they had a player die in workouts. A team that probably should have been 7-5, 6-6 in terms of ability just fell apart. They quit. The scores reflect that as the season goes on, too.

But whatever, that doesn’t even matter. The point is Frost inherited a great station set up for him to look even more like a hero, because UCF was never “an 0-12” kind of team in terms of talent. And he did a good job with it, just like the next guy who is now at Tennessee.

O’Leary was a hard coach to play for … he was very hard on young teams. Maybe you have forgotten but his first UCF team went 0-11. They won C-USA the next year. Talent wasn’t the issue then either. O’Leary decided to go young with that team once it went bad and thought he has earned the right to a bad year doing things his way. He was also AD at that time. He found out differently when they players quit on him.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2022 02:54 PM by DuelingDragon.)
09-11-2022 02:45 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(09-11-2022 02:45 PM)DuelingDragon Wrote:  Lol— I guess you missed they were conference co-champs the season before, were picked 2nd in the division to Cincinnati.

I didn't miss anything. I am not even questioning UCF had some talent. But you're making it seem they were immensely talented without even knowing how many players were on that 0-12 team that finished the year before as co-champs? Who were the Frost recruits on the 13-0 team two years later?

That 0-12 team only had two games they lost by single digits. They were horrible and a talented team isn't going to lose that badly. O'Leary didn't even coach the full season with that 0-12 team (only coached eight games).

Nope, not buying your argument whether you think it's a sound one or not.
09-11-2022 02:55 PM
DuelingDragon Online
All American

Did I say immensely talented? No, I said they were probsbly a 7-5, 6-6 kind of team. The cubboard was not bare.

Frost did get to put his stamp on the roster pretty quickly — lots of guys quit. As in literally quit not just quit on O’Leary. And he did a good job. That too is part of the good situation he inherited — talented base, used to winning, room to upgrade at key positions.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2022 03:03 PM by DuelingDragon.)
09-11-2022 02:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.