This more than anything might be why having football can work
Bookmark and Share
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/...JzSdWS8v3w

Quote: Today’s pay for play losses:

$1.5M: What Texas A&M paid Appalachian State to play them. They lost 17-14.

$1.423M: What Nebraska paid Georgia Southern to play them. They lost 45-42.

$1.25M: What Notre Dame paid Marshall to play them. They lost 26-21.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2022 09:55 AM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
09-11-2022 09:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
It’s all about expectations during program establishment. Understanding the big teams will eat your lunch on the field, but at the same time they will shell out millions for one game.

The cost is great to get it going, but how much $$$ and opportunity is UNCW missing out on by constantly saying no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
09-11-2022 10:09 AM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

RE: This more than anything might be why having football can work
All we need is at least $50M to get started.
09-11-2022 10:49 AM
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
(09-11-2022 10:49 AM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  All we need is at least $50M to get started.

Given that we have already fully funded our existing programs and have housed them in state-of-the-art facilities, it should be a piece of cake.

Maybe put one of those big fundraising "thermometers" on the wall to get the $$ ball rolling. That ought to do it.....
09-11-2022 02:01 PM
bricksnivy Offline
All American

It’s not just that big programs would kill us, it’s that it would take a long time to get to the point where those programs would schedule us. These three schools have a history of winning and they’re in a respected G5 conference. CSU got ~$300k to play at NCST this weekend; Campbell’s biggest game this year is at ECU and I’m assuming their payout will be less than that. How do we fast track a program like Coastal?
09-11-2022 07:08 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

It took Coastal 13 years in FCS and a very lucky break with the Sun Belt needing a 12th team to be where they are now. Had we added football in the 90s perhaps that could have been us instead of Coastal

The only realistic path to FBS for any school east of the Mississippi is CUSA with UTEP and NMSU as conference mates
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2022 08:35 PM by solohawks.)
09-11-2022 08:35 PM
Advertisement

B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
Didn’t take long for the anti football crowd to jump into the thread because of a funny tweet.

09-11-2022 09:33 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
(09-11-2022 09:33 PM)B_Hawk06 Wrote:  Didn’t take long for the anti football crowd to jump into the thread because of a funny tweet.

Anti football because of a funny tweet? Seems the title of the thread brought the first response from a "pro" football poster first. No?

I don't know of many people who are "anti-football". It's a sport I have a feeling most here really like and would absolutley love to see at UNCW(me included), but the upfront and ongoing costs are substantial and therefore this is a subject worthy of debate.

For me this is like a family who lived on a waterfront property in a neighborhood for 50 years that became filled with wealthy people. We're one of the only ones with a house on the water, but most of the neighbors have really nice boats now. Some have yachts. And each year come boating season we watch everyone else get out on the water and have a really good time and it makes us want a really nice boat too. But we call the boat manufacturer and realize we really can't afford to buy the boat or to pay for the insurance, gas and maintenance of the boat.

We're getting closer each year, but the costs keep going up too, We have a nice house on the water, a basketball goal in the driveway, decent cars and a couple of jet skis, but we REALLY want the huge boat so we can party with our friends and so we won't look like the broke neighbors. But every once in awhile, when we really listen to the neighbors, we hear that many of them are actually struggling to keep up the payments and maintenance. They have to work a second job and are deeply in debt just to keep the boat. Sure, several of the owners are actually wealthy and the boat helps them gain new business clients, but most of them are stuck with the boat so they get the most out of it.

So, we bring this up every couple of years. But the reality is that we aren't rich but we are very comfortable financially and we live in a fantastic location. And when we face reality, we come to our senses and realize the boat we want isn't worth the price we'd have to pay. We may hit the lottery one day or something may drastically change financially, but until that happens we're good.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2022 04:28 PM by 82hawk.)
09-12-2022 02:00 AM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I’ve gone back and forth on football and still do. But those numbers jumped out at me and at least demonstrated the kind of upside that is possible with football.

What a moment for programs like those.
09-12-2022 02:21 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

FCS schools dont get those payouts

If we start football we need to realize we will be playing CAA football for a minimum of 15 years
09-12-2022 06:19 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(09-12-2022 06:19 AM)solohawks Wrote:  FCS schools dont get those payouts

If we start football we need to realize we will be playing CAA football for a minimum of 15 years

IF you can get it, FCS schools are paid somewhere in the $200k - $300k range. A good chunk of money, but that doesn't compare to the numbers above.
09-12-2022 07:43 AM
Advertisement

Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-12-2022 07:43 AM)82hawk Wrote:  
(09-12-2022 06:19 AM)solohawks Wrote:  FCS schools dont get those payouts

IF you can get it, FCS schools are paid somewhere in the $200k - $300k range. A good chunk of money, but that doesn't compare to the numbers above.

This^^^^ and in my conversation with 08 on this topic that was my point as well, those payouts don't happen immediately.
09-12-2022 07:46 AM
bricksnivy Offline
All American

I’m not anti-football, but of the three teams referenced ASU has the youngest program and they were est in 1928. And, it’s not that we’ll have to compete at FCS for 15 years. There has to be a commitment and that is why the financial questions are always going to be relevant.
09-12-2022 07:54 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-12-2022 07:54 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  I’m not anti-football, but of the three teams referenced ASU has the youngest program and they were est in 1928. And, it’s not that we’ll have to compete at FCS for 15 years. There has to be a commitment and that is why the financial questions are always going to be relevant.
Even if hypothetically the payouts funded the program every year which they won't likely for a long time, there is still the 50 mil +(with inflation that could be 75!) number to need immediately to start up and that does not factor in stadium. Legion could be an option for a few years but not long term.
09-12-2022 07:57 AM
bricksnivy Offline
All American

(09-12-2022 07:57 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(09-12-2022 07:54 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  I’m not anti-football, but of the three teams referenced ASU has the youngest program and they were est in 1928. And, it’s not that we’ll have to compete at FCS for 15 years. There has to be a commitment and that is why the financial questions are always going to be relevant.
Even if hypothetically the payouts funded the program every year which they won't likely for a long time, there is still the 50 mil +(with inflation that could be 75!) number to need immediately to start up and that does not factor in stadium. Legion could be an option for a few years but not long term.

I honestly have no idea what it would take in terms of finances or resources. I have told this story before, but I asked PBD about football during Coach Honeycutt's Intro to Coaching class and she dismissed it almost as if it was comical. She's the best AD that we've had and she didn't feel it was realistic 20 years ago. Her answer, as I recall, included a reference to her experience at U of M and she referenced "real football", so maybe she wasn't the right person, but her stance seems relevant.

A concern of mine is also the saturation of programs in North Carolina. We can't realistically compete with UNC, NCST, Duke, Wake, ASU, ECU; we'd be significantly behind Elon, UNCC (and Coastal as another regional rival). Campbell had 4000 in attendance at their opening game this year (year 14). As a football program, would we be more relevant than WCU?

Not saying it's not worth it, but it is a long process.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2022 08:26 AM by bricksnivy.)
09-12-2022 08:24 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-12-2022 08:24 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  
(09-12-2022 07:57 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

I honestly have no idea what it would take in terms of finances or resources. I have told this story before, but I asked PBD about football during Coach Honeycutt's Intro to Coaching class and she dismissed it almost as if it was comical. She's the best AD that we've had and she didn't feel it was realistic 20 years ago. Her answer, as I recall, included a reference to her experience at U of M and she referenced "real football", so maybe she wasn't the right person, but her stance seems relevant.

A concern of mine is also the saturation of programs in North Carolina. We can't realistically compete with UNC, NCST, Duke, Wake, ASU, ECU; we'd be significantly behind Elon, UNCC (and Coastal as another regional rival). Campbell had 4000 in attendance at their opening game this year (year 14). As a football program, would we be more relevant than WCU?

Not saying it's not worth it, but it is a long process.

If you want to go to a football game you can go 2 hours N/S/NW and choose from 5 different FBS games.

Trying to start an FCS program from scratch and this juncture would be very very challenging and expensive.
09-12-2022 10:31 AM
Advertisement

SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

The following came info came from the UNCW Alumni Association.

To continue UNCW’s trajectory of success, a new 10-year strategic plan is at the forefront of Chancellor Volety’s priorities and is expected to be completed next spring.

“The strategic plan will be critical in identifying top goals for academics, student life, athletics, the arts, community engagement, research, and more,” said Dr. Volety. “We plan to connect with as many students, faculty and staff as possible to listen to them and to their ideas for the future of our university.”
09-12-2022 03:30 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(09-11-2022 09:54 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/...JzSdWS8v3w

Football isn't everything. As UNCW continues to increase enrollment EZU is losing students when they can't afford to.

https://www.witn.com/2022/09/16/ecu-stud...nues-drop/
09-19-2022 02:16 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-19-2022 02:16 PM)82hawk Wrote:  
(09-11-2022 09:54 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/...JzSdWS8v3w

Football isn't everything. As UNCW continues to increase enrollment EZU is losing students when they can't afford to.

https://www.witn.com/2022/09/16/ecu-stud...nues-drop/
Blaming it on fewer 18-20 year olds.... LOL
09-19-2022 03:19 PM
bricksnivy Offline
All American

UC athletes sponsored by local CRO, Medpace...maybe? I can’t tell much about the nature of their partnership, but this is interesting given our parallel with PPD. Maybe PPD does represent an NIL opportunity.

https://twitter.com/deshawn_pac3/status/...31618?s=21
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2022 01:22 PM by bricksnivy.)
09-20-2022 01:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.