Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who is your rival?
Bookmark and Share
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
Who is your rival?
I was scrolling through Twitter when a
thread by WAChoopsdigest mentioned Tarleton becoming SFA’s rival.

That got me thinking. Who would you consider your schools rival and why?

For schools like NMSU, the answer maybe easy (UNM and UTEP to start). For others, the answer is a little harder for me.

I’ll start with UTA.

North Texas, only DI public schools in DFW.
Texas State, not the strongest rival in the Southland, but we were in three different conferences together since 1987 until this year. It intensified in the Sun Belt as the only Texas schools and some meaningful games.
SFA, as a couple of the only schools on the SLC to carry balanced athletic programs instead of too heavy football programs, we were constantly getting in each other’s way from the mid 1990’s until we departed the SLC. It cooled off since then, but students from my era are hoping it gets back to where we were.

Promising- Tarleton, we were fierce JuCo rivals for decades and the schools are a little more than an hour apart.
UTRGV - many would have picked UTSA as our main rival in the SLC, partly because we were system siblings. While UTSA is certainly much closer, that could replicate again.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2022 12:06 AM by FoUTASportscaster.)
09-05-2022 11:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

I Root For: NMSU
RE: Who is your rival?
For NMSU, our rivals are UNM (the Battle of I-25) and UTEP (the Battle of I-10)... The Rio Grande Rivalries. After that, probably the next closest NMSU rival was Utah State (the Battle of the Aggies, both being Land-Grant schools); which is now dormant. NMSU and Utah State competed for over 25 years in the Big West (1983-2001) and the WAC (2005-13).

In the WAC with regards to men's basketball, NMSU has been more a nemesis than anyone's true rival. NMSU has been a hurdle very few have been able to clear. Rivalries starts when two schools desire regional, State, Conference bragging rights. And each school gives as good as it gets, winning their share of games and championships. NMSU has won 9 of the last 11 WAC Basketball Tournament Championships. This will be the last season in the WAC for someone to attempt to dethrone NMSU in men's basketball.

Aggie all-time record against our current WAC peers in men's basketball...

Abilene Christian... 9-1
California Baptist... 5-2
Grand Canyon... 18-5
Sam Houston State... 2-2
Seattle U... 21-4
Southern Utah... 3-0
Stephen F. Austin... 1-1
Tarleton State... 3-1
UT Rio Grande Valley... 24-3
UT Arlington... 12-2
Utah Tech... 3-0
Utah Valley... 14-5
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2022 03:44 AM by NMSUPistolPete.)
09-06-2022 02:56 AM
RobtheAggie Offline
1st String

I think that rivals take time to develop. There often needs to be a series of epic games over multiple years to create the distain that would be mutual.

I could see Utah Tech and SUU becoming rivals. They will compete in all sports, SUU would appear to see UTech as an upstart program, in a faster growing part of the state. I will be interested to see how this develops.

CBU and GCU seem to have a good one developing as well.

I like what you say about UTA and Tarleton State. Good rivalries are good for the conference.
09-06-2022 06:52 AM
OscarWildeCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: ACU & UGA
ACU and Tarleton were football rivals in our D2 Lone Star Conference days. We never really developed a rivalry when we moved up to the Southland, so it’s nice to return to a conference where there is one.

Edit to add that over the past several years SFA and ACU have had a growing rivalry in basketball.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2022 05:19 AM by OscarWildeCat.)
09-06-2022 09:04 AM
TexanFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tarleton
(09-06-2022 09:04 AM)OscarWildeCat Wrote:  ACU and Tarleton were football rivals in our D2 Lone Star Conference days. We never really developed a rivalry when we moved up to the Southland, so it’s nice to return to a conference where there is one.

Definitely would say ACU as well. It will interesting to see if anything redevelops with UTA.
09-06-2022 09:12 AM
TallTexan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SFA, UT
Sam.

And I greatly enjoy playing playing ACU and their fans care. Seems like Football & basketball is always a close hard fought game.
09-06-2022 12:28 PM
Advertisement

Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

I Root For: On Ye Tarleton!
(09-06-2022 09:12 AM)TexanFan Wrote:  
(09-06-2022 09:04 AM)OscarWildeCat Wrote:  ACU and Tarleton were football rivals in our D2 Lone Star Conference days. We never really developed a rivalry when we moved up to the Southland, so it’s nice to return to a conference where there is one.

Definitely would say ACU as well. It will interesting to see if anything redevelops with UTA.

Tarleton: ACU/SFA/UTA

ACU is a longtime Football rival, like over a century. In Basketball, we dominated ACU for decades so it never really became a rivalry. Now that they've beat us twice in a row, things are starting to heat up on the court as well.

I can say with certainty, that for some reason, it really bothers us to lose to SFA, like it would with a rival. Celebrations also seem to get a little crazier when we beat SFA. I think in a way we see ourselves as a natural rival to SFA, as there are lots of similarities between the two schools. If they become part of the A&M System, it will definitely go next-level.

UTA and Tarleton's rivalry shenanigans are well documented and run deep in Tarleton Football lore. Basketball is where it will have to start up this go-around. We shall see.
09-06-2022 12:51 PM
wisdomgymrat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tarleton State
Rivals will always be related to LSC days plus JTAC-NTAC legend.
09-06-2022 02:15 PM
edinburger Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTRGV
(09-05-2022 11:22 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  I was scrolling through Twitter when a
thread by WAChoopsdigest mentioned Tarleton becoming SFA’s rival.

That got me thinking. Who would you consider your schools rival and why?

For schools like NMSU, the answer maybe easy (UNM and UTEP to start). For others, the answer is a little harder for me.

I’ll start with UTA.

North Texas, only DI public schools in DFW.
Texas State, not the strongest rival in the Southland, but we were in three different conferences together since 1987 until this year. It intensified in the Sun Belt as the only Texas schools and some meaningful games.
SFA, as a couple of the only schools on the SLC to carry balanced athletic programs instead of too heavy football programs, we were constantly getting in each other’s way from the mid 1990’s until we departed the SLC. It cooled off since then, but students from my era are hoping it gets back to where we were.

Promising- Tarleton, we were fierce JuCo rivals for decades and the schools are a little more than an hour apart.
UTRGV - many would have picked UTSA as our main rival in the SLC, partly because we were system siblings. While UTSA is certainly much closer, that could replicate again.

Depends what you mean by rival.

Do you mean a team you traditionally play twice every season even though they're OOC, the games usually get a good turnout, either one could win on a given night, your fan t-shirts call them out, and your campus has a bronze statue of a horse positioned so the butt faces their campus?

Or do you mean a team over which you crave a win desperately, to end a seemingly eternal series of humiliations, such that you can't sleep at night and true success as a university can only be achieved by beating them, and there are no t-shirts because naming them is too painful?

For UTRGV those two are different.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2022 08:22 PM by edinburger.)
09-06-2022 08:16 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
For example, some may consider UT-Austin a rival, but that sentiment isn’t shared in reverse, therefore it’s just a game you get up for to beat after a series of humiliating losses.

Texas state was a good rival for us in that we consistently were a larger if not largest draw in all sports every year. Texas State occupies top ten spot in all-time attendance for each sport but baseball, as TCU has most of those spots.
09-07-2022 12:21 AM
OscarWildeCat Offline
1st String

Back in our LSC days there was a poster on the d2 board with the handle ChrisTTU or was it ChrisTSU? He was a great guy, very knowledgeable poster. Anyone know if he’s still posting somewhere? It would be great to get him on here.
09-07-2022 05:29 AM
Advertisement

wisdomgymrat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tarleton State
(09-07-2022 05:29 AM)OscarWildeCat Wrote:  

Back in our LSC days there was a poster on the d2 board with the handle ChrisTTU or was it ChrisTSU? He was a great guy, very knowledgeable poster. Anyone know if he’s still posting somewhere? It would be great to get him on here.

Chris is a good friend and was actually a member with me in a spirit organization on campus. I know that he frequents this board sometimes, but not sure on his handle.
09-07-2022 10:14 AM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
ChrisatTSU I believe. He's a TXST/Tarleton fan so he frequents the TXST/Sun Belt boards and this one as well.
09-07-2022 10:27 AM
DZ1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GCU
(09-06-2022 06:52 AM)RobtheAggie Wrote:  I think that rivals take time to develop. There often needs to be a series of epic games over multiple years to create the distain that would be mutual.

I could see Utah Tech and SUU becoming rivals. They will compete in all sports, SUU would appear to see UTech as an upstart program, in a faster growing part of the state. I will be interested to see how this develops.

I like what you say about UTA and Tarleton State. Good rivalries are good for the conference.

I would agree that GCU's main rival will be CBU once the Aggies abandon the WAC. GCU is used to being the underdog in the current Aggies vs Lopes rivalry, but this is not the case with CBU. Now that CBU is a full D1 member, the rivalry should increase and GCU may have less of an advantage. Time will tell.
09-07-2022 12:38 PM
OscarWildeCat Offline
1st String

(09-07-2022 12:38 PM)DZ1 Wrote:  
(09-06-2022 06:52 AM)RobtheAggie Wrote:  I think that rivals take time to develop. There often needs to be a series of epic games over multiple years to create the distain that would be mutual.

I would agree that GCU's main rival will be CBU once the Aggies abandon the WAC. GCU is used to being the underdog in the current Aggies vs Lopes rivalry, but this is not the case with CBU. Now that CBU is a full D1 member, the rivalry should increase and GCU may have less of an advantage. Time will tell.

I was thinking a BB rivalry between GCU and SFA might emerge now that NMSU has moved on. Arguably the best programs in the West and SW respectively.
09-07-2022 01:03 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

(09-07-2022 01:03 PM)OscarWildeCat Wrote:  

I was thinking a BB rivalry between GCU and SFA might emerge now that NMSU has moved on. Arguably the best programs in the West and SW respectively.

Well, SFA did one thing in its first WAC season that GCU has failed to do in its time in the WAC... beat NMSU in the PAC. I think SFA will be a top tier team in the WAC. I think Tanner will keep ACU up toward the top as well, given their style of defense. Although the jury it still out if Tanner can recruit as well as Golding. The same goes at Seattle. Can Victor recruit as well as Hayford to maintain Seattle's resurgence? CBU is an up-and-coming program. This season will be Croy's strongest team to date. And the Utah three are all becoming formidable. UTA is an unknown under Young's leadership. Only UTRGV seem to be floundering at this time.
09-07-2022 01:48 PM
Advertisement

Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

Dude did you even watch your team play last year? If ACU didn't have to play 4 games in 4 days in the WAC tourney, they would be the WAC Champs and probably would have gotten further in the NCAA tourney than nmsu. They were on fire before and during the WAC tourney, and had an impressive postseason run against some good teams. nmsu rested up all week, won 1 game, and pranced its way into the WAC title game., while ACU was on the grind night in and night out. ACU is the best team in the WAC until proven otherwise.
09-07-2022 03:09 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

(09-07-2022 03:09 PM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  

Dude did you even watch your team play last year? If ACU didn't have to play 4 games in 4 days in the WAC tourney, they would be the WAC Champs and probably would have gotten further in the NCAA tourney than nmsu. They were on fire before and during the WAC tourney, and had an impressive postseason run against some good teams. nmsu rested up all week, won 1 game, and pranced its way into the WAC title game., while ACU was on the grind night in and night out. ACU is the best team in the WAC until proven otherwise.

??? It has been proven otherwise already. New Mexico State won the WAC regular season championship. And, if not for a bad game at Chicago State, they would have won the championship outright. They beat ACU, swept GCU and Seattle. They beat Washington State on their own court, beat Davidson on a neutral court and had the highest NET ranking in the WAC by far. NMSU also had the WAC Player of the Year and Tournament MVP to count on. NMSU toyed with ACU in the Championship and the Aggie had size mismatches. The game was never that close. And to be honest, the only WAC team that concerned me in the WAC tourney was Sam Houston, since they beat us so decisively in the regular season and they had a player (Savion Flagg) comparable to Teddy Allen.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2022 04:13 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
09-07-2022 04:11 PM
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

(09-07-2022 04:11 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  

??? It has been proven otherwise already. New Mexico State won the WAC regular season championship. And, if not for a bad game at Chicago State, they would have won the championship outright. They beat ACU, swept GCU and Seattle. They beat Washington State on their own court, beat Davidson on a neutral court and had the highest NET ranking in the WAC by far. NMSU also had the WAC Player of the Year and Tournament MVP to count on. NMSU toyed with ACU in the Championship and the Aggie had size mismatches. The game was never that close. And to be honest, the only WAC team that concerned me in the WAC tourney was Sam Houston, since they beat us so decisively in the regular season and they had a player (Savion Flagg) comparable to Teddy Allen.

Big whoop. nmsu had some decent players. Individual players. 1-and-done players. Individual 1-and-done players that have come and gone. ACU had the best TEAM. And still do, until proven otherwise.
09-07-2022 04:29 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

(09-07-2022 04:29 PM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  
(09-07-2022 04:11 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  
(09-07-2022 12:38 PM)DZ1 Wrote:  I would agree that GCU's main rival will be CBU once the Aggies abandon the WAC. GCU is used to being the underdog in the current Aggies vs Lopes rivalry, but this is not the case with CBU. Now that CBU is a full D1 member, the rivalry should increase and GCU may have less of an advantage. Time will tell.

Big whoop. nmsu had some decent players. Individual players. 1-and-done players. Individual 1-and-done players that have come and gone. ACU had the best TEAM. And still do, until proven otherwise.

Yeah, I'm pointing out season results and you're debating team strength with something unquantifiable in your brain. I'll just continue to celebrate NMSU's WAC basketball championships and move on to a more reasonable, factual, discussion.
09-07-2022 04:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.